Start by marking “Great Short Stories Of Detection, Mystery And Horror” as Want to Read:
Great Short Stories Of Detection, Mystery And Horror

Great Short Stories Of Detection, Mystery And Horror

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  33 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Other contributing authors are: J.D. Beresford; John Metclafe; A.M. Burrage; Arthur Quiller-Couch; N. Royde-Smith; Walter de la Mare; Michael Arlen; R. Ellis Roberts; Bram Stoker; Violet Hunt; Barry Pain; H.G. Wells; Ethel Colburn Mayne.
Published 1928 by Victor Gollancz Limited

Be the first to ask a question about Great Short Stories Of Detection, Mystery And Horror

Madeline
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
"But the detective story proper and the pure tales of horror are very ancient in origin. All native folk-lore has its ghost tales, while the first four detective-stories in this book hail respectively from the Jewish Apocrypha, Herodotus, and the Aeneid. But, whereas the tale of horror has flourished in practically every age and country, the detective-story has had a spasmodic history, appearing here and there in faint, tentative sketches and episodes, until it suddenly burst into magnificent fl ...more
Stephen Hayes
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I was a child we had this work on our bookshelves, in three volumes, just like the one in the illustrations, but they disappeared in several moves, when my mother got rid of a lot of surplus possessions. I read many of the stories but my favourites, the ones I reread many times, were those in the "horror" section, and it was this book that gave me a taste for horror stories.

It was more than fifty years ago now, but the stories that made the biggest impression on me, that I read and re-read
Mirian RchƎulishvili
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just great. Amazing journey. Edgar will take you on crazy, insane adventure with this book and you must be prepared, otherwise your mind will collapse.
Carmen
Oct 14, 2012
Michael
Sep 22, 2010
Mya Garcia
rated it did not like it
Feb 25, 2017
Rafael Gubitoso
Nov 08, 2013
Evan
Jan 18, 2011
Dorothy Leigh Sayers was a renowned British author, translator, student of classical and modern languages, and Christian humanist.

Dorothy L. Sayers is best known for her mysteries, a series of novels and short stories set between World War I and World War II that feature English aristocrat and amateur sleuth Lord Peter Wimsey. However, Sayers herself considered her translation of Dante's Divina Co