Start by marking “An Engagement in Seattle: Groom Wanted\Bride Wanted” as Want to Read:
An Engagement in Seattle: Groom Wanted\Bride Wanted

An Engagement in Seattle: Groom Wanted\Bride Wanted (From This Day Forward #1-2)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  1,780 Ratings  ·  120 Reviews

A billboard on the side of a Seattle road is common enough—but one advert

Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Published February 22nd 2011 by MIRA

To ask other readers questions about An Engagement in Seattle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Engagement in Seattle

Chris
May 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
Two books in one.

Groom Wanted

A very forgetful book. Alex needs to marry Julia to stay in the US. Julia needs to marry Alex to make her company successful. Alex is a biochemist and Julia's company sells paint! How exciting is that?!?

She only agrees to marry him to save her company, however, he insists if they get married, it has to be a "real" marriage -- read sex.

Bride Wanted

On the back cover of this book (and the GoodReads description as well), the hero is called "Chase Goodwin." However, on th
Chandramas (Chiara)
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
Amanda
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
When I first read this, I gave it 3 stars since I thought the first was "ok" and the second I "really liked". However, in retrospect, I really didn't like either of them. I hated the characters in the first one (except Jerry; I did like him) and thought the story was terrible. In the second one, I actually did like the characters, but thought this story was also really bad. I'm a huge Macomber fan, but I just couldn't like either of these books. I still kept 2 stars because the second book was o ...more
Denise
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: light romance fans, Debbie Macomber fans.
This is a two for one Debbie Macomber. That is always a good thing. The first story is about a woman that marries a man to save her company. The second is about a man that so wants a wife that he advertises on a billboard.

Both are cute. Typical Debbie Macomber.
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
This is the first two book in the "From This Day Forward" Series.
#1 Groom Wanted
#2 Bride Wanted
#3 Marriage Wanted

I have all 3 books seperately from their previous publication, so am not getting this 2-in-1 book.
Heather Truckenmiller
Mar 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Typical Debbie Macomber - which I love. Quick, light, reads.

Joy
Alida Arabelle
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
It was a simple ayet romantic book. I quite enjoyed it especially the 2nd atory. That was great.
Tammy Downing
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Two wonderful love stories involving people who have locked up hearts taking a chance on love. I enjoyed these two stories as I do all of Ms. Macomber's books.
Monica Gearhart
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really feel this story could've gone at least for another book or two.
Patti
Mar 16, 2017 added it
*** stars
Predictable
Andge (Down the Rabbit Hole)
Let me just first say that these two stories by Debbie Macomber are some of her older ones and seemingly different from the kinds of plots she writes more after the 2000s, but there's still something about them that make it enjoyable and applicable no matter the audience (although I do suggest you're at least 16+).

In Groom Wanted, there was a tangible chemistry between Julia and Alek. Although it was a marriage of inconvenience but one that would help save the company, Alek genuinely seemed to h
Julie Barrett
Dec 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
an engagement in seattle by debbie macomber
groom wanted - scientist needs to get married to stay in US. he can make their company survive and thrive with the knowledge he has. he only believes marriage is for life. the family is trying to talk her into marrying him and the pre-nup offers him a part of the company which he turns down. just why would he want to get married then?
she wants to please her grandmother and get married before she passes away, she's had another heart attack.now they have
Anne Holly
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Macomber; those who enjoy sweet contemporary romance
This book has two novellas in it, both published in the 1990s (with updating). "Groom Wanted" features an ambitious business woman managing the family's corporation, who enters into a "green card marriage" with the plant's star researcher so he won't be deported. "Bride Wanted" features an Alaskan good guy who comes to Washington to seek a wife, and finds a jilted teacher eager for a new start. I'm a big fan of Debbie Macomber, and these stories did not disappoint.

I loved them both as light, qui
Kristi
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book contains two novellas, both containing unusual stories of love and marriage, both set in Seattle. In both, the woman was the one requiring some straightening out.

The first novella, Groom Wanted, is a typical green card marriage story. Julia Conrad's family business was in dire jeopardy a few years ago due to a misguided romance. Alex, a Russian biochemist has brought it back to life with his innovations which are set to soon hit the market, but his visa expires and he's denied a renewa
Amelia
Apr 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
As a fan of short stories, how could I not enjoy this novel? They may have been longer short stories, but that may have been part of the appeal. Sometimes shorts are cut off abruptly, leaving readers cold, without closure, much like those daisy dukes I used to wear. However, each of these shorts gave full character arcs, allowing believable relationships to grow without force-heating them into lumpy oatmeal.

In “Groom Wanted,” Alek is sweeter than honey, and could easily bring any woman to her kn
EZRead eBookstore
Apr 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amelia-reviews

Tracy Smith
May 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Two couples, two marriages, and two hopelessly romantic love stories that begin in an "Engagement in Seattle."

The first story, "Groom Wanted," is the story of Julia and Alek who must struggle through alot of uncertainty. Alek must use all of his patience and understanding to gain Julia's trust and eventually love.
In the second story, "Bride Wanted," Chase Goodman advertises boldly on a billboard in downtown Seattle for a wife. Though Lesley doesn't officially apply, she wins his heart when she
Marcia  Haskell
Mar 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
"Aleksandr Berinksi is a Russian biochemist in the U.S. on a visa that is about to expire. Marriage will allow him to stay—marriage to Julia Conrad. If Julia's going to save her Seattle-based company, she needs him as much as he needs her. There's a Groom Wanted in Julia's life. And not just any groom!

A billboard on the side of a Seattle road is common enough—but one advertising for a bride? It's Chase Goodwin's solution to the problem of finding a wife quickly, a wife to bring home to Alaska. L
Kim Hampton
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another set of great stories from Debbie Macomber, who has fast become one of my favorite authors. First comes marriage, THEN comes love? Sometimes things are a little...unusual. In the first story, Julia is forced to marry Alek, her top employee, when his visa expires, or risk losing her company. Can a marriage survive and even thrive under those circumstances? In the second story, Chase, an Alaska bachelor, rents a billboard to advertise for a bride; will anybody respond? Or could he find love ...more
Marissa
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is one of those 2 stories in one book. Both involve an engagement and a marriage. The first story is basically a marriage of convenience. Julia Conrad reluctantly agrees to marry a Russian biochemist who has a visa that is about to expire. Marrying Julia would prevent him from being deported. Julia doesn't love him at first. But she does eventually fall in love with him.
The second story I loved much better. Chase Goodwin advertises for a bride. However, he ends up falling for Lesley, who do
Linda Carroll-Bradd
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I appreciate clean romantic stories and this collection of 2 full-length novels didn't disappoint. I felt more connected to the characters in Bride Wanted possibly because the heroine was in the early stages of denial about her broken engagement. Plus the neighbor and her sons added life. I appreciate a plot that is a bit different than the others.
The heroine in Groom Wanted was too morose and had been stuck in her 'woe is me' rut for too long. But Alex the hero was compelling enough to get past
Jean
Jun 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
It was ok. The first of her book I have read. It was a nice romance story witout graphic sex, which I appreciate. I am not really much of a reader of this kind of romance stuff. I read Linda Lael Miller some, because we have beeen friends for years. I read this because Macomber is her friend and I wanted to see the diference. Macomber has the undertone of a fundamentalist Christian and I expect that is her audience. I know that Lind'a politics are in her writing too, so I feel certain Macomber u ...more
April Suter
Nov 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Groom Wanted: Julia is not a patient women, a driven business owner with a scientist that will be deported since his Visa has expired. Her brother gives them a solution to the problem--get married.

Bride Wanted: An Alaskan has decided to get married during his vacation and buys a billboard advertising for a wife. Meanwhile he meets Lesley so the equation: Love in Alaska=Chase + Lesley - many interested women - old personal histories.

Two cute republished stories of classic Macomber love stories.

Beth Pearson
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a 475 page Debbie Macomber book with 2 complete stories in it and predictable in that it is a romance story as you would expect. However, this is probably my latest favorite Macomber book of all that I've read. Not too many characters, the 2 stories are completely independent of each other, and a well worn, but still engaging plot. Fun characters, giggly comments, sexual tension--but no sex, and just a total escapism book. My copy was sat on by my friend's children, but it's still readab ...more
Trish
Oct 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, romance
This is actually two short novellas that have now been published in one volume. I read it mainly as a distraction when I needed something on my iTouch. I always struggle with whether I should evaluate a book based on its genre versus in relation to all the books I have read, especially when the author makes it clear at the beginning that she wrote these simply because she thinks this storyline is a fun one.

Anyway, the stories were relatively enjoyable although obviously formulaic and unrealistic
Nancy
Feb 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Easy, escapism, predictable but entertaining when you just can't read anything requiring thought and concentration.

In "Groom Wanted" a female business executive marries her companies foreign scientist so that he can stay in the country. After issues of trust are resolved love follows - of course.

In "Bride Wanted" a man from Alaska spends three weeks in Seattle hoping to find a wife by purchasing billboard advertisement. He meets a woman who thinks that's the stupidest idea she's ever heard.
April
Mar 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Two stories about love. A woman marries a Russian chemist to get him a green card, so he can stay to finish the line of paints he his making for her company.
A man from Alaska comes to Seattle to advertise for a wife via billboard. By accident he meets the woman of his dreams retrieving her purse from a mugger. She has been jilted by her fiance and takes a while to realize that she wants him in her life.
Cindy
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
It was a hot day at the beach and I couldn't read anything of substance. There was also Big Band music playing in the background and I figured it was romance novel time. I don't know why I like reading these books but I do. The first one felt similar to Fifty Shades...domineering man, powerful woman who's really waiting to be controlled...very formulaic and more than annoying. The second one had me oohhhing and awwwwing a bit more but still. Go ahead and read for the fantasy.
Ilean
Apr 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, macomber
The first story was a little different than the usual Debbie Macomber books. I read the first story in two days, but I was stuck in a car for two days on a trip and the story kept my interest. It took me longer to finish the second story beacuse coming back from our trip we had six hours worth of recorded show series to watch cutting into my reading time. It had a familiar story line to Debbie Macomber's Alaska series.
  • Return to Rose Cottage: The Laws of Attraction / For the Love of Pete (Rose Cottage Sisters #3-4)
  • Snow Angels
  • Christmas Kisses (Mackenzie Family, #3.5 & Those Manning Men, #5)
  • Marrying Daisy Bellamy (Lakeshore Chronicles #8)
  • A Spring Bouquet (4-in-1)
  • Completely Smitten \ Hers for the Weekend
  • Holiday in Stone Creek: A Stone Creek Christmas / At Home in Stone Creek (Stone Creek, #4 & 6)
  • Sweet Rains: Second Nature / Lessons Learned
Debbie Macomber is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and one of today’s most popular writers with more than 200 million copies of her books in print worldwide. In her novels, Macomber brings to life compelling relationships that embrace family and enduring friendships, uplifting her readers with stories of connection and hope. Macomber’s novels have spent over 1,000 weeks on the New York Time ...more
More about Debbie Macomber...

From This Day Forward (3 books)
  • Groom Wanted (From This Day Forward #1)
  • Istri Pilihan (Bride Wanted)
  • Pernikahan Impian (Marriage Wanted)

“the woman who’d helped her through the most difficult period of her life. As Julia silently opened the door and stepped inside, she felt tears burn the backs of her eyes. Her grandmother appeared to be asleep. Ruth’s face was pale, but she seemed more at peace now, as if the pain had passed. Tentatively Julia stepped over to her grandmother’s bed and took her hand. She held it to her own cheek and pressed it there. Slowly Julia closed her eyes. As soon as she did, it felt as if Ruth were awake, waiting to speak with her. “Don’t be sad,” Ruth seemed to be saying. “I don’t want you to grieve for me. I’ve lived a good, long life. You were my joy. God’s special gift to me.” “No, please,” Julia pleaded silently. “Don’t leave me, please don’t leave.” 0 likes
“Don’t cling to the past. Look instead to the future. You have a husband who adores you and children waiting to be born. Your life is just beginning. So much love awaits you, more joy than you can possibly imagine now. Your pain shall reap an abundant harvest of life’s treasures. Trust me in this.” 0 likes