Start by marking “Mighty Jackie: The Strike-Out Queen” as Want to Read:

An ALA Notable Children’s Book
An ILA Teachers’ Choice
A Read Aloud/Comstock Honor Book
An ALA Amelia Bloomer Project Book

For as long as she could remember, Jackie Mitchell’s father had told Jackie she could be good at whatever she wanted, as long as she worked at it. Jackie worked at baseball. She worked hard. And before long Jackie could outplay anyone in her neighborhoo
Published February 1st 2004 by Simon Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books (first published January 27th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Mighty Jackie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mighty Jackie

Start your review of Mighty Jackie: The Strike-Out Queen
Matthew
Mar 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is really a dark part of the history of major league baseball that even today I doubt qualifies as resolved. There aren't too many favorable descriptions of the people involved, though they probably don't deserve one if what I read here is true.

The book is well done. The writing is at an approachable level. The description of the event is vivid. The evidence of thorough research is plain to see. All in all, I'd read this to kids. I doubt Babe Ruth fans would be overly fond of the portrayal
Kate
Nov 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
How have I never heard of this woman before? I can't believe a 17 year-old girl struck out both Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig and her name isn't famous. Stupid men. Good book from great subject material and beautiful illustrations.
Tiffany Ng
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Genre: Historical Fiction
Recommend book for age groups 1st-4th grade

This story is about Jackie Mitchell, the pitcher of the Chattanooga Lookouts back in 1931. Jackie was a 17 year old girl at the time she was playing. She been practicing ever since she was a little girl and told her "you throw like a girl!" After that she wanted to prove otherwise. Growing up she lived next to Dazzy Vance, player for the Brooklyn Do
Jordan
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mighty Jackie: The Strike-Out Queen by Marissa Moss and illustrated by C.F. Payne is about a seventeen-year-old girl named Jackie in the 1930s who plays baseball. It was unheard of to know a girl who plays baseball and she went up against one of the greatest players of all time Babe Ruth. Even though people told her she was not good enough and a girl does not play baseball. She went and pitched against men who were known for being great baseball players. Not only her father, but a pitcher from t ...more
NS- Sarah
This story is about a woman named Jackie Mitchell who was the first woman to make Major League Baseball history. She was the pitcher for the Chattanooga Lookouts and during an exhibition game against the NY Yankees she struck out Babe Ruth! Even though I didn't find the book especially engaging I did like how it was a bit of a hybrid story. Author, Marissa Moss, manages to tell a biography while lacing the story with themes of perseverance and gender stereotypes. Not to mention that it is a pict ...more
Mar 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
We had a ridiculously fun program today with the older kids. In honor of women's history month, I gathered my favorite picture books/biographies of famous women. I booktalked them all, and then I read this fabulous story of Jackie Mitchell. Our craft? Paper airplane competition in honor of Amelia Earhart. Imagine 60 kids in a room with TONS of planes flying around. Good times!

Back to the book - I tend to pick picture books without a lot of words on the page, especially for such a large group. I
Clint Keller
Oct 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
"Mighty Jackie: The Strike Out Queen", is a prime example of an uplifting underdog story that could get any person silently chanting Jackie during the story. A young girl, Mighty Jackie, who was raised up on baseball and all its greatness became a pitcher in the Womens' Proffesional baseball leauge. Even though most fans of the Womens' baseball leauge were only watching because MLB was on the rocks because of the draft and WWII, that didn't stop Jackie from giving them a show.

Jackie had gotten
Rebecca
Jan 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
The almost forgotten story of a seventeen year old girl, Jackie Mitchell, whose dream of playing major league ball is realized when she gets to pitch against the famed New York Yankee team and strikes out both Babe Ruth and Lou Gherig in the same game. A book with a “girls can do anything” theme, the author’s note gives more detailed biographical information about Jackie Mitchell with a presumed photo of her as the watermark. The illustrations are so expressive, it’s hard to tell if the illustra ...more
Amy
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Awesome! 17 year old minor league pitcher Jackie Mitchell struck out both Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig in one amazing game. She was then officially banned from both major and minor league ball. Despite that, she continued to play in the minors for years. Who is this strike-out queen? Introduce your kids to Jackie Mitchell with this powerhouse of a picture book.

Great writing that stops your breath and makes you feel like you are right there, in the moment of the game. The artwork makes the game fe
babyhippoface
True or False: A girl once pitched to both Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig, and struck them both out.

True. And this is her (brief) story. Jackie grew up playing baseball with her dad and in any sandlot games she could find. She was an ace pitcher who played for Chattanooga back in the days when women belonged in the kitchen adorned with pearls and apron, and she did indeed strike out both Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig.

(Of course, these days, you have to explain who Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig are for this book
Kim
Jun 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: student-books
Reread to pair with HF story in Storyworks magazine.
Good introductory biography and I love the illustrator, CF Payne!
Holly Mueller
Jun 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Kim led me to this one because of the illustrator C.F. Payne who lives in Cincinnati. I didn't know about Jackie Mitchell, and I LOVE stories about spunky and talented girls!
Baby Bookworm
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is Mighty Jackie: The Strike-Out Queen, written by Marissa Moss and illustrated by C.F. Payne, a girl-powered true story of the one of the first female professional baseball players.

On a sunny day in April of 1931, a small minor league team called the Chattanooga Lookouts were preparing for an exhibition game with one of the best major league teams in the country:
Dedra
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
YES!!! I loved every page of this beautiful book. The illustrations are outstanding (especially the lighting!). If I had a daughter this book would be a part of our regular read aloud rotation. If you are a fan of the TV show "Pitch", then this is a must read. As a baseball fan, I can't believe that I never heard of Jackie Mitchell. I'm glad I stumbled upon this little gem! It was the perfect book to start off Women's History Month.
Kalyn
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-for-edr-320
Genre: Biography - Picture Book

Unique Feature: I liked how the biography is made into a picture book with many lessons in an easy to grasp way. Most biographies have the idea of being long and boring and full of facts, but this was a easy read and engaging.

Grade Level: 2nd + 3rd Grade
Miss Sarah
Mar 10, 2020 rated it liked it
An elementary and up level picture book biography of Jackie Mitchell who made it the minor leagues as picture and struck out Babe Ruth and others till her contract was canceled because she was a woman.
Deanna
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great story for kids.
Marion
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
I appreciate that this book introduces a strong female athlete to young kids!
Tamra
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome bit of history that I didn’t know and am so glad my kids and I read.
Claudia Faltnschi
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
It's fine but not as discriptive, you didn't put the same words as there is in the book.this kinda helps
Stefanie Burns
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Decent story about a woman pitcher. The illustrations, even grab the reader beginning with the front cover. My students enjoyed the story though some of it was beyond their background knowledge. They needed a lot of explaining and scaffolding. It's a good nonfiction book, but I would look at some others before reading this book to my students again.
Briana
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it
True story of a woman who struck out Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig and then women were banned from the sport. Taught me things I didn't know, but was a bit cheesy in spots. Would have loved commentary about empowering girls of the future.
Janine Weston
Spring is in the air and the Major League Baseball season is right around the corner. Raise your hand if you like playing or watching baseball games. Raise your hand if you play on a team--perhaps a Little League tean. Raise your hand if you don't particularly care for baseball at all. Well, it doesn't matter if you love baseball or hate baseball. You don't have to be a sports fanatic to absolutely love this book!

Mighty Jackie: The Strike-Out Queen by local author, Marissa Moss, is a true story
Caycee Hatchette
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Personal Reaction- I enjoyed everything about this book. I like that the author used the first few pages to hook the reader and then went into a flashback of Jackie Mitchell’s life and the events that got her to where she ended up.

Read aloud- I think this would be great to read aloud to the class. It flows really well and it really entertaining. I would read it aloud to make the connection to the theme of determination. This is a great book that conveys the message of determination because she
Krista
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literacy-class
Mighty Jackie is an amazing true story of a young girl who grew up in the late 1920's who refused to believe she wasn't as good as the boys. This picture book is appropriate for all ages, the illustrations and message will be enjoyed by the young and old. This story offers an opportunity for students to read as a critical literacy piece, exploring societies view of women in the 1930's and even today. Mighty Jackie loved baseball, throughout her childhood her father helped teach her how to play e ...more
Megan McKenny
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Personal Reaction: The story of Jackie Mitchell told in this story is an almost forgotten tale. I was surprised to hear of her accomplishments as a 17-year-old girl pitched in the major leagues, striking out two legends, Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig in one game. It is great to hear of such a shocking story that has not had as much attention as it deserves. The author does a great job of creating a story that makes the reader feel as if they were present in the time.

Purpose(s): This would be a good
Hannah Taylor
May 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Personal reaction: I thought this book was really inspiring because of the way Jackie overcame the obstacles and the criticisms and was able to strike out two of baseball's best back-to-back in Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig.

Purpose: This would be a great for a student in the 2nd to 3rd grade to read independently because it really shows how you can fight through adversity and overcome obstacles to become successful if you put your mind to it. Children who like sports and/or are athletic, especially f
Brittany
L11_Page
Mar 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the true story of 17 year old Jackie Mitchell, who, in 1931, was a left-handed pitcher for the minor league Chattanooga Lookouts baseball team. She proceeded to strike out baseball legends Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig of the New York Yankees. After this famous performance, she traveled the country playing for various teams but never regained her fame because the baseball commisioner declared baseball "too strenuous for women" and she was denied playing against teams the caliber of the Yankee ...more
Jess
Jackie can pitch. But can she strike out Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig?

Yay! Love this based on a real story about a 17 year old girl who pitched in an exhibition game against the New York Yankees. We've got a supportive father, practice and hard work being keys to success, and a taste of how terrible people and media can be when you don't comply with their roles.

Great story time read. Large, easy to see from any row illustrations plus smooth writing that grips everyone's attention from the start with

• The The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People Personal Workbook
  • Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever (The Killing of Historical Figures)
  • Fever 1793
  • Washington: A Life
  • If You Lived Here, I'd Know Your Name: News from Small-Town Alaska
  • The Truth as Told by Mason Buttle
  • Two in the Far North
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Cold Sassy Tree
  • Out of the Wild Night
Who is Marissa Moss anyway?

I’ve been making children’s books for a looooong time. I sent my first picture book to publishers when I was nine, but it wasn’t very good and they didn’t publish it. I didn’t try again until I was a grown-up and then it took five years of sending out stories, getting them rejected, revising them and sending them back over and over until I got my first book. Now I’ve pub