Start by marking “A Fazenda Africana” as Want to Read:
A Fazenda Africana

A Fazenda Africana

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  25,761 Ratings  ·  1,435 Reviews
Em nova tradução, esta é a obra-prima da escritora dinamarquesa Karen Blixen (1885-1962), que escrevia em língua inglesa. É um livro autobiográfico, mas com caráter bem mais "etnográfico" do que melodramático. O livro tem como ponto de partida a vida amorosa infeliz de uma baronesa europeia que se recusa a assumir seu papel dominante no mundo colonial, numa grande fazenda ...more
Hardcover, Coleção Mulheres Modernistas, 446 pages
Published 2005 by Cosac & Naify (first published 1937)

To ask other readers questions about A Fazenda Africana, please sign up.

Agnes Benita I read the first few pages and the impression I got is that Blixen loved Africa and hated the Africans themselves...she exploited them a great deal,…moreI read the first few pages and the impression I got is that Blixen loved Africa and hated the Africans themselves...she exploited them a great deal, for her own self gain.In any case, she loved the animals, the bushes and the like.I didn't like the way she regarded them in the third person all the time...I enjoyed the book anyway.(less)

Jeffrey Keeten
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-to-film, africa
”Up in this air you breathed easily, drawing in a vital assurance and lightness of heart. In the highlands you woke up in the morning and thought: Here I am, where I ought to be.”

photo Karen_Blixen_1913_zpscx1ugrqm.jpg
Karen Blixen in 1913. Her whole life was before her.

When Karen Blixen married her second cousin Baron Bror Blixen-Finecke in 1914 and followed along as a devoted wife should to help him run a coffee plantation in Kenya, I’m sure she had an idea of what her life was to be, but the story of our lives generally deviates
Lisa
I once had a crush on Karen Blixen, at the shores of Rungstedlund.

Travelling my life like Odysseus the mythical Mediterranean seas, I found myself in front of a majestic house on a strip of Danish coastline, some ten years ago, and in the company of my lively bunch of toddlers, aged approximately 4, 2.5 and 0.5 years. While I walked reverently in the footsteps of Karen Blixen, studiously scrutinising every single letter and photograph on display in the exhibition, my family ran wild outside, enj
Duane
"I had a farm in Africa at the foot of the Ngong Hills".

After finishing the book I turned back to read this opening line again, and in this first sentence one can sense the pride that Blixen felt for this place, and one can also feel the sadness, the disappointment in the word "had", knowing that it slipped away from her at the end. Losing her farm and also losing her beloved Denys Finch Hatton must have been devastating.

This is one of those memoirs that is as compelling as good fiction. Blixen
Lizzy
“I had a farm in Africa at the foot of the Ngong Hills.”
From its first sentence Out of Africa captivated me. It was enchanting, old-fashioned, poignant, wistful and insightful. Karen Blixen’s story of her life in Africa, a series of reminiscences from 1914 to 1931, portrays her love for that country – the people, the land, the animals. It has a fairy tale quality at times. Blixen is a master story-teller; it’s easy to understand why Denys Finch Hatton loved to hear her recount her stories.

T
Sidharth Vardhan
“I had a farm in Africa, at the foot of the Ngong Hills.”

This very first line of Dinesen's memoir is like down Alice's rabbit hole; Platform Nine and three quarters, King's Cross or that cyclone that took Dorothy to Oz. Except this time, the world is a real one. Though not imaginary, it isn't lacking in adventures because of that and is unlike anything that modern city dwelling readers can know.

“It is a sad hardship and slavery to people who live in towns, that in their movements they know o
Andrea
Jan 04, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I chose to read this book in high school as one of those free-reading things for which you later have to give a presentation. This is a book about Africa for white people who want to go on a safari and see the cool animals, which is basically what the author did. I kinda hated Karen Blixen for her condescending attitude towards the "natives" and I felt the whole book was nothing but pretentious, self-aggrandizing bullshit. If I had had any courage, I would have done two things differently for my ...more
Dianne
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2015
Really lovely - a living, breathing piece of history with writing that will make your heart sing. Of its time, certainly not "politically correct" with its colonial viewpoint, but nevertheless, the author's love of Africa and its people shines through. I felt as though I was sitting at Scheherazade's knee as she spun her 1001 tales. Dinesen/Blixen is a master story-teller - I can understand why Denys Finch Hatton loved to hear her tell her stories.

Highly recommend.
Forrest
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had a farm in Africa, at the foot of the Ngong Hills.

For better or worse, this opening sentence rekindled my love affair with literature. Granted, I never lost my love of reading, but from my late teens to my early-twenties, the relationship was rather shallow, mostly maintained through movies about books, comic books/graphic novels (still a great love for me), and role-playing game books and modules, all interspersed with one-night-stands with real books that I loved for a night, then left o
Orsodimondo
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
INCANTO E CAPRICCI DEL DESTINO
La prima volta che l’ho letto è stato nell’età in cui si ha bisogno di nemici, in cui l’odio sembra nobile e tonificante, in cui uccidere i genitori, soprattutto il padre, e la sua dannata autorità, è gesto vitale pur se meramente simbolico.
Karen Blixen incarnò per me il paternalismo del colonialista, e il colonialista era un nemico.
E allora non conoscevo l’Africa e non ne ero ancora innamorato.

Poi, leggendo Capote mi sono imbattuto in questa frase:
Non c’è una sola
Connie
After seeing the movie "Out of Africa" for the second time recently, I wondered if I would enjoy the book as well. Not to worry, the book is even better since the author was a keen observer and an accomplished storyteller.

Isak Dinesen is the pen name for the Baroness Karen von Blixen-Finecke who came from Denmark to British East Africa (Kenya) with her husband in 1914. Although they soon separated, Dinesen stayed to run a large coffee plantation near Nairobi. She tells stories about the customs
  • Isak Dinesen: The Life of a Storyteller
  • I Dreamed of Africa
  • Selected Letters, 1913-1965
  • Pushkin: A Biography
  • My Lai 4: A Report on the Massacre and Its Aftermath
  • The Peace of Nicias and the Sicilian Expedition (Peloponnesian War)
  • The Little Locksmith
  • African Laughter: Four Visits to Zimbabwe
  • Travels in West Africa
  • The Mojo Collection: The Ultimate Music Companion
  • Monsieur Proust
  • The Vanishing Newspaper: Saving Journalism in the Information Age
  • A Quiet Storm
  • Molière: A Biography
Pseudonym used by the Danish author Karen Blixen.

Baroness Karen von Blixen-Finecke (Danish: [kʰɑːɑn ˈbleɡsn]; 17 April 1885 – 7 September 1962), née Karen Christenze Dinesen, was a Danish author, also known by the pen name Isak Dinesen, who wrote works in Danish, French and English. She also at times used the pen names Tania Blixen, Osceola, and Pierre Andrézel.
Blixen is best known for Out of Afri
More about Isak Dinesen...
“You know you are truly alive when you’re living among lions.” 229 likes
“Perhaps he knew, as I did not, that the Earth was made round so that we would not see too far down the road.” 139 likes