Start by marking “Five Little Pigs” as Want to Read:
Five Little Pigs

Five Little Pigs (Hercule Poirot #24)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  25,402 Ratings  ·  1,271 Reviews
Hercule Poirot searches for the fatal flaw in the death of a philandering artist whose wife was unfairly jailed for his murder – 16 years ago. Delving into the past, the shrewd Belgian detective wonders: Was Caroline Crale a murderer? Did her husband commit suicide? Or did someone else kill the man in what seems to have been the perfect crime... after all these years? 23rd ...more
Audio CD, Full Cast Dramatization, 2 pages
Published September 1st 2009 by BBC Audiobooks America (first published May 1942)

To ask other readers questions about Five Little Pigs, please sign up.

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) You can't read books online here at Goodreads. That's not what this website is for. This website is for posting reviews of books you have read. To…moreYou can't read books online here at Goodreads. That's not what this website is for. This website is for posting reviews of books you have read. To read any book, you must buy it in a shop or download it online, or go to the library and borrow it. You can't do that here.(less)

Luffy
The best thing that can be said about this book is that you get a lot of Poirot. He is present in almost every page where there are no notes that had been written by the characters. We are privy to his thoughts.

Not only that, but the Poirot we see is almost human. He is normal, foreign, but normal. He isn't the eccentric walking bag of tics that a few generations of fans have grown to laugh at/deride. Despite that, I gave the book 3 stars.

Oh, the story is cleverly written. But we get the same mu
Dannii Elle
Deceived again! Well played, Christie. Well played.
Melindam
‘What are you going to do?’
‘I am going to visit these five people-and from each one I am going to get his or her own story.’
Superintendent Hale sighed with a deep melancholy.
He said: ‘Man, you’re nuts! None of their stories are going to agree! Don’t you grasp that elementary fact? No two people remember a thing in the same order anyway. And after all this time! Why, you’ll hear five accounts of five separate murders!’
‘That,’ said Poirot, ‘is what I am counting upon. It will be very instructive.’
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
Also known as “Five Little Pigs”

One of the best Christie's I've read, sorry to see it's not mentioned more. Christie changed it up a bit by having Poirot having to take apart a crime that happened decades ago. Digging into the past and focusing on interviews instead of actual occurrence and eye witness details. A lot has been forgotten in the small details, and some of it has been skewed by memory and deceit. Like some of her other novels, the bulk of this one is interviews. In between that is t
Λίνα Θωμάρεη
Readathon 2017 16/26 Ένα βιβλίο που δανειστήκατε

Έχοντας φύγει για διακοπές με μόνο ένα έντυπο βιβλίο αλλά με πολλά ebooks στο κινητό πίστευα ότι στις 10 μέρες που θα έλειπα θα είχα πάντα κάτι να διαβάζω....
Έχοντας φύγει όμως με ένα βιβλίο και χωρίς τον φορτιστή μου ... καταλαβαίνετε ότι τότε είχα πρόβλημα....

Το καλό ήταν ότι έμενα στην ξαδέλφη μου, το κακό ήταν ότι όταν αποφάσισα να ξεκινήσω κάτι άλλο ήμουν ανάμεσα σε Χημεία θετικής κατεύθυνση, Βιοχημεία Γ λυκείου, Μαθηματικά, Φυσική και Αγκάθα
Jason Koivu
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, crime
Another fun whodunnit!

This time around Hercule Poirot is tasked with digging up a 16 year old murder cold case. Everyone is satisfied with the previous resolution, except for one person. And that person asks Poirot to look into it. Of course, once he gets those little grey cells working, he finds something amiss.

In play form, this quicky still manages a modicum of depth within the story and characters, not a trait mysteries are always well-known for! And the plot is just as slippery as many of
Nandakishore Varma
A really terrific story. Carla Lemarchant gets a letter from her mother Caroline, who has died in prison while serving her sentence for murdering her husband, the philandering artist Amyas Crale- a letter professing her innocence. So young Carla has to go back in time to find the real murderer - and who to employ, other than Hercule Poirot?

There are five suspects (the five little pigs of the title) - Philip and Meredith Blake, Amyas's neighbours; Elsa Greer, the young girl Amyas is painting (and
Syl
Aug 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best Poirot mysteries ever. Listening to this BBC adaptation was sheer joy, and I never knew how my jogging time flew past with Poirot and co. for company. Carla hires Poirot as she believes her mother, who was imprisoned for her father's death by poisoning, and who subsequently died in prison, is innocent, and wants him to prove so. Pour it agrees, provided that he will not tamper with the truth, if the truth is that Caroline, the mother is the actual murderer.
Here enter the five lit
Hajarath Prasad Abburu
The ending is just exhilarating and was as smashing as Iron Man soaring into a Malibu Point Sky.

Mr. Poirot, my heart is still with Sherlock but you are as brilliant as Him!! What a reasoning! I bow to thee
Chris
May 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hate the Yankees. I think that it is required if you are a true baseball fan and you live in a baseball town outside the State of New York that you hate the Yankees. You don't even have to be living in Boston. It is pretty much universal. There are exceptions made for transplants, relatives of players, casual fans, etc., but basically it holds true.

But I have to admit that I like Mariano Rivera.

You have to like him because he is the best ever at what he does and he doesn't make a big fuss abo
Laurel Young
Mar 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cata
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
David Schaafsma
Originally titled Murder in Retrospect, Five Little Pigs is one of several books where Christie used nursery rhymes for titles/concepts, such as Ten Little Indians and Then There Were None. In this one, Carla Lemarchant comes to Poirot with a letter her mother had written to her when she died, but only recently come into her possession. Her mother, Caroline Crale, was 16 years ago convicted of the murder of her husband, accomplished artist Amyas Crale, and she died in prison a couple years later ...more
Cathy DuPont
My first Agatha Christie and for some reason it was what I expected. Not a thrilling ride, not a boring ride, just a nice, pleasant ride of a read. (Ride both literally and figuratively since it was an audio I listened to in the car.)

The mystery was 15 years old, about a rash 20 year old who falls in love with an old married coot of 40 years old. He is poisoned, dies and his wife is charged and convicted of his murder. She dies in prison a year later.

She left her daughter (who was five years ol
Mizuki
This book is not Agatha Christie, a.k.a our honorable, well adored Queen of Murder, at her best. However, Fiver Little Pigs is still a decent murder mystery and I highly appreciate Ms. Christie's sharp observation and how she shaped her characters.
Richard Derus
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4.5* of five

This is one of the reviews where I talk about the book and the TV show. I don't know why that pisses people off so much, but it seems to; however, I am all out of fucks to give.

The book, which I read a while ago for the third time but first since the 1980s, has aged reasonably well. The TV adaptation, from Agatha Christie's Poirot 's ninth season, is really excellent and apparently not particularly faithful to the source material.

To be frank, I prefer the show to the book in
Kavita
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, uk
An unique book by Agatha Christie, Poirot solves a cold case. The daughter of a convicted murdereress, Carla Lemarchant approaches him to find the truth behind the murder of her father. Poirot takes it only because of his passion for the truth, but it is not an easy journey. He interviews everyone connected with the case - police officers and lawyers, as well as the people present at the Crale's house party at the time of his death. As always, it is the small things that are often overlooked by ...more
D.G.
Feb 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-Read Oct 2016
Dame Christie wrote several mysteries based on nursery rhymes - her most famous is And Then There Were None - because she realized how amazingly horrible most of them are. And she was right. They make such good plots for mysteries!

In Five Little Pigs, Dame Christie introduces a plot device she uses several times in later books when Poirot is older and can't move around as much. The idea that all he needs is to hear the eye-witness accounts, sit on a chair and by using his "little
Moonlight Reader
An outstanding entry in the Poirot canon. This book is a master class in mystery plotting.
Amorfna
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, whodunit
Ovu sam godinu zapocela Agatom, i planiram da je njome i zavrsim.
Tako da od mene - do kraja godine ocekujte samo i iskljucivo Agatu, uvek ocekujte 4 ili 5 zvezdica jer jednostavno, necu da lazem postoje knjige na koje uopste ne primenjujem kriterijume. Ako mi se mnogo svidi bice 5 , ako mi se malo manje svidi, bice 4.
Stavise razmisljam da celu sledecu godinu posvetim svim onim detektivskim romanima kojih se secam iz mladosti ali ih se zapravo ne secam.

Ova godina je bila toliko uzasna na svim fro
Carol
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After a few stressful weeks, I needed another light mystery to smoke through! Reading an Agatha Christie is like eating a small butter/pecan tart or small ice-cream cone. You enjoy the rich flavour and you swallow the entire thing quickly in one bite.

In “Five Little Pigs,” Christie does a great job at providing contrasting characters. It’s a retrospective crime mystery ( with 16 year-old clues), and the true identity of the killer can only be discovered through interviews and journals. This pro
F.R.
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The reason ‘Five Little Pigs’ is one of the least well known Agatha Christie novels is that it’s such thin and uninspiring stuff. Hercule Poirot is asked to investigate a mariticide of sixteen years earlier by the couple’s now grown up daughter, the wife having escaped the hangman and died in prison. Those who’ve read their Ross MacDonald will know that this is the kind of thing that can excite the characters’ guilt and passions, and suddenly the danger which existed at the time of the original ...more
Lexie
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2016
The next time I read Agatha Christie, I might require a Mariachi band or a distraction of a similarly buoyant variety. Because as it turns out, sitting down in dead silence and focusing too hard results in some very unpleasant results...

... like guessing about 90% of the ending.

Any other book, this would be a "Go, me!" sort of self high-five. With Agatha Christie, however, I'd rather be stupefied, stunned, floored, be made to question my deductive skills and my common sense, and generally made t
maricar
A bit sad to read through. It’s as if the luster from Poirot’s ‘glamour’ as a detective has lost its strength.

The premise is a promising one, don’t get me wrong: can one resolve a murder that has been resolutely concluded 16 years ago and, for all intents and purposes, left (almost) everyone with no doubt as to the identity of the killer? Poirot hardly thought twice and set off to show the readers just that.

Murder in retrospect, indeed.

In a way, Christie does prove that all one need is the fun
Cindy
Sep 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Shelves: mysteries
In this story, Poirot gets a chance to do something he's never done before - to solve a mystery without a single clue, simply by talking to the people who were involved.

Sixteen years ago, artist Amyas Crale was poisoned. His wife was arrested and convicted of murder. She wrote a letter to her young daughter saying she was innocent. Now the girl is grown and engaged to be married. But first she wants to know what really happened.

Poirot has little work with. He starts by talking to the lawyers on
RebeccaS
This was an interesting Hercule Poirot mystery because he is hired to looking into a murder of the past. A murder where the suspect was convicted and died in jail, but whose daughter has recently found out this terrible fact and doesn't believe her mother killed her father. I'm not at all surprised that HP took on this case, because it's a brilliant and unique way to work his little gray cells.

The format of this book is a little different. The chapters are separated by each character's narrative
Campbell
In my opinion, this is the best of the Poirot novels.

I read all of them one summer, several (okay, you got me, many) years ago and, while they're all good (there is no such thing as a bad Poirot novel) after a dozen or so you begin to detect patterns and rhythms that, shifting and fluctuating, stretch through and across the novels. 'Five Little Pigs' breaks that mould and stands alone and is all the better for it.

I can't understand why this isn't better known; it's a real gem.
Angel M Tayup
3.5
Esta fue mi primera experiencia con los libros de esta autora y debo admitir que no estuvo nada mal. El manejo que hace de los personajes y la perspectiva tan clara que los distingue a cada uno de ellos es estupenda, un punto que se distingue de forma impecable en la segunda parte. El misterio en general tiene una estupenda construcción y la resolución hace resaltar detalles que se pasan de largo fácilmente, ademas de los considerables plot twist que tiene al final, el cual me aprecio de lo m
J.C Speight
Apr 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Caroline Crale poisoned her womanizer husband. The evidence was clear; it was an open and shut case.

But sixteen year later her daughter Carla Lemarchant apairs believing her mother to be innocent, her only clue: a letter left to her by her mother telling her that she did not commit the crime for which everyone believes she did.

So who could’ve of done it?!

Phillip Blake, Meredith's brother This little piggy went to market
Meredith Blake This little piggy stayed at home
Elsa Greer, now Lady Dittis
Jasmine Darcy
Not exactly the suspense-at-every-corner , edge-of-your-seat type of mystery Agatha Christie usually writes but nevertheless, unpredictable and marvellous as always. Christie never disappoints. Furthermore,the whole nursery rhyme aspect of it was ingenious and original . Christie always lives up to her title of the 'Queen Of Crime' and her last minute showdowns , loopholes and catches are really up my alley. 'Five Little Pigs' follows the mysterious murder of grumpy Amycus Crale which had been s ...more
Mary Grand
I have read this before so no surprises but still loved it. Life has been hectic and I got completly lost in this and the world created.
Iniya
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-reads
Perfect read to start the year.. :-) :-)
Suad Shamma
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 2017
Agatha Christie makes me fall in love with mystery. There is pure enjoyment in reading her stories, almost like solving a crossword puzzle and trying to get to the end. I love the process of searching for clues and listing the potential suspects and trying to separate truth from the lies until you reach the big showdown.

It may not always be the most exciting storyline, and it may not always have the best dialogue, but the process remains enjoyable. Always.

I find it amusing that had I not been a
Fred
This is the second Agatha Christie book I read this year. This book follows a young woman named Carla Crale. Very early on in the book, we find out that her father, who was a painter, was murdered in the house one afternoon when they had guests round. Her mother, Caroline, was convicted of the murder, sent to prison and died later that year. Carla Crale was around five years old when this happened.

As a woman now, she comes to Poirot to ask him to see what he makes of the mystery because prior to
Scott
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, cozy
I'm a huge Agatha Christie fan so it kills me to give her a 2 star rating but this book just did not do it for me. I'm a big fan of author's trying different things but the way this book was written just bored me to death.

A 16 year old murder. Enter Poirot to determine if the person that was convicted was actually the person who did it.
He talks to 5 different people separately.
Then he has them write up their accounts and we read about the accounts separately.
Then he comes to his conclusions.

No c
Nouf
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
أول رواية اقراها للكاتبة العظيمه اجاثا كريستي!
جميله جداً .. اسلوبها مميز جداً تخليك تشك بكل الشخصيات !
Carina
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
all those twists ... I never see them coming :D
Allie
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Felt awfully clever for figuring this one out, but -sigh- since I'd read it before, I guess that's a testament to my memory and not my detective skills.
Adrian
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ohhh
a very beautiful recreation of a murder which occurred 16 years back!!
Susan
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 24th novel featuring Hercule Poirot; preceded by the classic “Evil Under the Sun,” followed by the magnificent “The Hollow” and published in 1942. Even a mere mention of the Poirot titles written around that time show us that Christie – always my favourite author of all time – was on a real roll. Five Little Pigs is not one of her best known Poirot mysteries, which is a shame, as this is a wonderful read.

Carla Lemarchant was only five when her mother, Caroline Crale, was found guilty
sweet jane
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Μια νεαρή όμορφη κοπέλα επισκέπτεται τον Πουαρό και του ζητάει να αναλάβει μια υπόθεση που έχει τελεστεί πριν δεκαέξι χρόνια. Ο πατέρας της δολοφονήθηκε και για το έγκλημα αυτό κρίθηκε ενοχή η μητέρα της, η οποία όμως υποστήριζε το αντίθετο στο γράμμα που της άφησε πριν πεθάνει. Χωρίς να εξετάσει αποτσίγαρα και δακτυλικά αποτυπώματα, ο Ηρακλής Πουαρό αναλαμβάνει την υπόθεση και κάνει ένα ταξίδι στο χρόνο κουβεντιάζοντας με τους πέντε ανθρώπους που πέρασε τις τελευταίες του μέρες ο δολοφονημένος. ...more
sanny
“And I am old, am I not? Older than you imagined?”
“Yes, that, too.” She hesitated. “I'm being frank, you see. I want - I've got to have - the best.”
“Rest assured,” said Hercule Poirot, “I am the best!”

And so begins the first and best murder in retrospect investigation ever written as far as I'm concerned. But when I reached that part about "I am the best!", the first thought that struck me was the realisation that Poirot is, in fact, the Cristiano Ronaldo of fictional detectives. Or more appropr
Robin
Jan 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, re-read
3.5 Stars. Not one of my favorite Christie mysteries starring Hercule Poirot, but still really good.

(Note: I gather that some editions were published with the title "Five Little Pigs", but my copy is "Murder in Retrospect", which I think more accurately describes the story.)

Poirot is intrigued to investigate a murder which occurred 16 years previously. Carla Lamarchant knows her mother did not kill her father, though she was tried and convicted of the crime. So who did? Poirot convinces the othe
  • Clouds of Witness (Lord Peter Wimsey, #2)
  • Overture to Death (Roderick Alleyn, #8)
  • The Final Deduction (Nero Wolfe, #35)
  • The Franchise Affair (Inspector Alan Grant, #3)
  • They Found Him Dead (Inspector Hannasyde, #3)
  • A Mind to Murder (Adam Dalgliesh #2)
  • Poirot and Me
  • Pearls Before Swine (Albert Campion Mystery #12)
  • Holy Disorders (Gervase Fen, #2)

More about Agatha Christie...

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)
“Poirot said placidly, “One does not, you know, employ merely the muscles. I do not need to bend and measure the footprints and pick up the cigarette ends and examine the bent blades of grass. It is enough for me to sit back in my chair and think. It is this – ” he tapped his egg-shaped head – “this, that functions!” 27 likes
“Maybe it is because I am an old man, but I find, M. Poirot, that there is something about the defenselessness of youth that moves me to tears. Youth is so vulnerable. It is so ruthless - so sure. So generous and so demanding.” 11 likes