Start by marking “Glimpses: A Collection of Nightrunner Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Glimpses: A Collection of Nightrunner Short Stories

Glimpses: A Collection of Nightrunner Short Stories

(Nightrunner #5.5)

Lynn Flewelling's Glimpses explores "lost" moments from her popular Nightrunner Series, events alluded to or passed over - Alec's parents and childhood, Seregil's early liaisons in Skala, Seregil and Alec's first night as lovers, how Seregil and Micum Cavish met. Each story offers a new perspective on events readers have speculated about for years. For new readers, it offe ...more
Published September 19th 2010 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published September 18th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Glimpses, please sign up.
Aless Don't know why this was marked as 3.5, it was published after book 5, before book 6 and contains an extract of book 6. It contains some spoilers, so…moreDon't know why this was marked as 3.5, it was published after book 5, before book 6 and contains an extract of book 6. It contains some spoilers, so wait until after reading book 5.
(I have now changed it to number 5.5)(less)

Red Haircrow
Oct 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
I loved the first 3 books in the Nightrunner series. Seregil, Alec and the rest of the crew, the swift pace and vividness of the story was as manna to me. I love fantasy novels! The last two revisited the setting for me but I found them somewhat rushed and confusing although of course as a fan, I still believe and look forward to the next installments.

So I was looking forward to the world of Seregil and Alec to be expanded in "Glimpses", which is what I'm sure the author wished for her readers.
Kati
Feb 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. This collection of short - mostly erotic - stories fills some blanks in the "Nightrunner" books. But it's not as good. I don't know, I found some of the stories lacking a bit.

"Misfit" tells the story of Seregil's first sexual relationship in Rhíminee and how Seregil became Nysander's pupil. I felt so, so sorry for Seregil in this one. Great story but rather painful to read in places, especially when you know how his apprenticeship ends. 4 stars.

"The Wild" tells the reader about how Al
Aredhel
Sep 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
What could be more thrilling than to be able to read about your favorite characters while your are waiting for the book that features them to be released? Nothing, I guess.

This collection of short stories is a great companion to the original Nightrunner series. It throws some light upon different periods of Seregil's and Alec's lives when they were apart and had no idea about each other's existence as well as upon some moments of their lives when they were already together.

The only thing that di
Gabi
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This is 2.5 stars for the stories, which are nice hole fillers but rather uneventful. And strangely enough, me a lover of good erotica, didn't care for the graphic scenes here. Somehow the general tone of the series calls for a more subtle approach (at least imho).
My fav story is the two-timeline one about Alec and his father. This story also contains my fav illustration: the beautifully executed scene where his father shows little Alec how to use a bow.

The illustrations are 4 stars. I simply ad
Devann
A cute collection of stories, although really I'm not sure why she felt the need to make a whole separate book instead of including them in the main series because none of them are very long and they could all easily fit into the narrative as flashbacks at some point. It also features a lot of fanart, which is cute but makes the whole thing seem a bit dated now. I didn't read the excerpt from book 6 because it seemed a bit pointless when I can just immediately move on to the actual published ver ...more
Carla
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
"- Talí
- You called me that by accident the first time, remember?
- Unthinking, perhaps, but no accident.
- You're my Talí, too."

It was not what I expected, and I understand what some people mention about the "sexy" scenes not really fitting in some stories (personally, I only enjoyed them in The Bond). However, I still enjoyed the stories and the extra information they contribute to the main story and relationships.
Seregil of Rhiminee
Jun 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
(Note! This review was written before Casket of Souls was published, so certain things are a bit out of date in this review.)

Glimpses is a short story collection, which die-hard Nightrunner fans will be thrilled to read, because it's full of interesting details about the characters (I'm one of these die-hard fans, because I've liked Lynn Flewelling's books since reading Luck in the Shadows a few years ago). Glimpses is also a good collection for new fans, because it contains stories, which revea
Yaiza Canopoli
While I appreciate the author showing us some moments from the Nightrunner series that we didn't get to read about before, this collection was not nearly as well written or heartwarming as the novels. I really liked the story about Alec's childhood, and The Bond was quite sweet too, but the one about Korathan was just trashy and badly written. The last one is an excerpt from the sixth novel, which at the time would have been exciting for fans but was anticlimactic for me as I just finished that ...more
Alyssa Lentz
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was so enjoyable! I loved getting to learn how our characters got to where they are, as well as getting to see parts of the story that fell between novels. It definitely doesn't feel like throwaway content, or an afterthought. It expands the universe in a really lovely way and adds to our understanding of the series in a way that makes itself essential.
Anna Nesterovich
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, erotica
I guess it is indeed the last glimpse of Nightrunner for me :( I already read the rest of the books and, as far as I know, there are no plans to continue with the series. There were rumors of a movie, but they died off a while ago. So yes, as much as I mourn the fact, Glimpses is an appropriate title in more than one way.

The book is illustrated by fans, and I can't say I appreciate it. I'm not saying that the art is bad, not at all. But it came from 32 different people, and as a result, is all o
Shelby
I enjoyed this book for precisely what it was. A collection of stories that fill in a few gaps in the history of characters we've already come to know and love. I enjoyed seeing Seregil as a youth, unsure and lacking the confidence and skills he so often has on display now. While his pain has always been acknowledged and affects a lot of what has happened to him in the later stories, seeing him "fresh of the boat" and struggling to adapt to his new circumstances in life had that pain much more v ...more
Marc | Rainbow Gold Reviews
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow, it's been a while since I read the night runner series, but I really was intrigued by this short story collection. I don't read anthologies or collections very often, but this was simply amazing. The explicit scenes the author tried for the first time were sensual and hot and very personal. I think they really added to the short stories and gave them a level of intimacy that we haven't had in the main story where those most private moments between the characters were not meant to be invaded ...more
Elizabeth H.
3.5 stars rounding up to 4.0 stars out of great respect for the author.

I adore the Nightrunner series by Lynn Flewelling. Her characters are unforgettable; surely I actually know them in my real life? But in this collection of short stories, Seregil and Alec don't really come alive for me. Especially in the Bonding, the story of the first time Seregil and Alec make love, I felt as if the author were writing what she really didn't want to write. I could perceive her discomfort. Truthfully, it was
Minh
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Somehow I managed to miss this collection of short stories despite my long wait between books 3 and 4! There are few lovely snippets into the stories of our heroes lives, a bit of painful pasts for both of them and a few racier scenes left on the cutting board.

My favourites were probably the Seregil backstory heavy ones, in particular a bittersweet Nysander story and a very young Micum meeting our errant hero.
Michelle
Sep 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, as usual for Lynn Flewelling. Normally I don't like short stories because I just want more story. This was good, though, because there ARE other books on the characters! It was nice to read about some of the gaps in the stories and to get a teaser for the next book. Plus, a lot of the fan art was amazing.
S.M.M. Lindström
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Glimpses is a lovely collection of short stories that fill out a few gaps in the long tale of Seregil, Alec & co. In Misfit we see Seregil's first time at Skala's court and him meeting Nysander. In The Wild we learn how Alec's parents met and what Alec's life with is father was like. Seregil and Micum's first meeting, decades before the first Nightrunner novel, we see in By the River. We get to see the previously "faded to black" scene of how Alec and Seregil became lovers and talímenios in ...more
Kaelyn
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
I only read this because I loved the main series so much but the main series is the way to go. The writing was okay but the general ish of the book was pretty uneccessary? In any case, my favorite story was the one where Micum appears and it was also great reading about Nysander again. Definitely not needed to be read with the series, but if you're surviving on the dregs left behind of the main series, then this is what you need.
Mel Geronazzo
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE when authors release short stores about their characters, or hidden scenes, or little treats like this!
What makes this even better is that Mrs.Flewelling included a LOT of fanart in this book,giving credit to all artists, she really understands what her fans mean, and how much we love her.
It makes my heart so happy that she let us have this sneak peek of extra scenes as well as proudly displaying fanart telling us all in essence "I appreciate you".
Aless
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites
This was the perfect short story collection for Nightrunner. I always wanted to know more about Alec's parents for one, and these stories contain the sexual details the main books miss out. It was steamy as fuck! No ridiculous erotica, but actual realistic sex which no one seems to ever write.

I could tell a bit of a difference in the quality of the writing between these and the main books (just shows how much effort she puts into editing) but this is an excellent gift from Lynn to her fans.
Shilo Quetchenbach
This is overpriced. It's essentially Lynn Flewelling writing fanfiction of her own work -- not that that's a bad thing, it's just not what I expected. I did enjoy getting a glimpse of Alec's childhood and his parents' relationship, and a peek at Seregil's past. I would absolutely have given the stories kudos and a positive comment on ao3. for 6.99, however, I expected more -- either more stories or more fleshed-out stories with fewer errors.
Bear
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I love Flewelling's Nightrunner series, and this was to be an exciting treat. Unfortunately, it wasn't her best writing, and probably because she didn't seem to adept at writing intimate scenes. But, props to her for trying, and I appreciate the effort to give the Nightrunner fans what they wanted - the behind-the-scenes of the love escapades of the characters.
Heather
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Incredibly short read. Didnt expect to be over the moon about this one, and I wasn't. The glimpses were nice enough, but I agree with what a lot of people on here have said - they just lacked something. But hey, it's hard to pack a bunch of feeling into so short a book, so whatever. I dont think I wasted the hour or so I spent reading it, so I guess it's worth it.
Kassilem
Dec 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 1-read-books
Not quite what I was expecting. There were a ton of grammatical errors and the writing was nothing to what Flewelling usually writes. However, I appreciated the glimpses of Alec and Seregil nonetheless. Some of the artwork was great too, although my favorite was by far the cover art. Not something I would ever buy, but perhaps not a waste of time either.
Connie
Aug 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I thought this would give a lot more character development and intrigue to the huge world of the nightrunner series. Instead it felt like fan fiction that was pandering to a largely female audience.

I’m looking forward to the next books in the series now to get back on track. It’s odd to me that this book is available on the UK kindle store but none of the others are!
Patrick
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
It was quite enjoyable but there wasn't much to it really
Onni
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Backstory and some information eluded to in the Nightrunner series. Not a lot of interest here, and the fan art is mediocre.
Ticha_11
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it

Some short stories that bring a little more about the character's past. I would've like to have more from Seregil's past tho.
Grace
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Delightful glimpses into the lives of our favorite night runners.
Cate
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
much nostalgia for this series. Good smut.
caravaggion
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
SEREGIL IS SUCH A GEM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A GEM OF A MAN!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE HIM I NOW WANT TO REREAD THIS WHOLE ENTIRE SERIES OH M Y GOD
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Mariner's Luck (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #2)
  • Lord of the White Hell, Book 2 (Lord of the White Hell, #2)
  • Lords of Kellesborne (The Draegan Lords #2)
  • The Virtu (Doctrine of Labyrinths, #2)
  • Magebound
  • Wolves (Raised By Wolves, #4)
  • The Ghosts of Blood and Innocence (Wraeththu Histories, #3)
  • Shadowdance
  • The Archer's Heart
  • Shadow Magic (Havemercy #2)
  • Raven and the Wolf (Eyrder Saga, #1)
  • Crescendo (Song of the Fallen, #2)
  • Kei's Gift (Darshian Tales, #1)
Born Lynn Elizabeth Beaulieu.

Nightrunner (7 books)
  • Luck in the Shadows (Nightrunner, #1)
  • Stalking Darkness (Nightrunner, #2)
  • Traitor's Moon (Nightrunner, #3)
  • Shadows Return (Nightrunner, #4)
  • The White Road (Nightrunner, #5)
  • Casket of Souls (Nightrunner, #6)
  • Shards of Time (Nightrunner, #7)
“Talí." It was the only thing Seregil could think of that encompassed everything he felt right now.
Alec smiled. "You called me that by accident the first time, remember?"
"Unthinking, perhaps, but no accident."
Alec's cheeks went crimson as he declared softly, "You're my talí, too.”
14 likes