Start by marking “A Tapestry of Hope” as Want to Read:
A Tapestry of Hope

A Tapestry of Hope (Lights of Lowell #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  1,345 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
Compellingly weaves together the heartrending and hope-building stories of two young women in 1840s Massachusetts.
Published May 1st 2004 by Bethany House Publishers (first published March 31st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Tapestry of Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Tapestry of Hope

Maryanne
Nov 29, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
While reading this book I kept thinking it has got to get better.
That is the only reason why I finished this book.
Ellen
Sep 27, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is only the second Tracie Peterson book I've read, but thank goodness it wasn't the first, or I'd never pick another one up again. I had a favorable response to Silent Star, so when this new series was featured at Audible for a special price, I was looking forward to it. Tying together the plantation life of pre-Civil War South and the life of the textile mills in Lowell, Mass, made this book sound interesting. Peterson boldly points out the hypocrisy of the North in their anti-slavery beli ...more
Carolyn
Dec 31, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
it was awfully depressing for a cheesy christian romance novel. And it tried to overplay the historical fiction/civil war lead up aspects of it a bit too much. You felt like the author was showing off research. Oh, and then the author tries to wrap up everything really sappily (in a badly telegraphed way) in the last 20 pages. It wasn't bad, but I've read much better.
Vikki
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the earlier books of the Lowell Series and thoroughly enjoyed them. This book came along several years later but it was great to see the story continue. I look forward to the next book in this series.
Jennifer Pryke
Feb 16, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Stiff and stilted. Characters were one dimensional. Forced myself to read hoping it would get better. It didn't. Gave up on it halfway through chapter 19.
Karen
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A blending of lives from three directions: a plantation in the south, the cotton mills of Massachusetts and refugees from Ireland. The story is an artful blending of all the lives into a story of hardship, pain and survival...even triumph. The southern Jasmine Wainwright, daughter of the plantation owner has her marriage arranged to Bradley Houston, the dishonest, angry and lustful Mill Entrepenuer. The potato famine in Ireland has forced the immigration of Kaira and Paddy O'Neill and their entr ...more
Michele
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful Christian novel set both on a Mississippi plantation and in Lowell, Massachusetts. Jasmine is the daughter of a cotton plantation owner whose father sees a business opportunity to increase his cotton sales profits by arranging her marriage to a certain businessman, Bradley. In Ireland, Kiara and her young brother are orphaned by the famine and are sold as indentured servants. They are sent to America and end up in Bradley/Jasmine's household. Both women become victims of a cruel and ...more
Jo
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book in the main but there were occasions where it felt like the story jumped about a bit and this affected the flow of the reading. This was exacerbated by the poor formatting of the e-book with no evident divisions between location/time changes and paragraphs split unnecessarily and confusingly across multiple lines.
Karen Reeves
It was hard to read because we would think Jasmine would have other options. Realistically she would have very few and maybe her perception of inner peace and joy could have been better represented instead of a slow pace up an impossible mountain of no worldly content. But we felt for her strife so continued to read. It ended well and I'll say no more or the book would be spoiled.
Mary Schenk
This so far is not my favorite Tracie Peterson book, however it was still worth reading! This story was not a fairy tale Happy ending book it had real depth. I'm just not a fan of the chracters and it took awhile to get into!
Mary
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The love of God

This book reminds us that when we go through the most difficult times we still need to trust in God. This story highlights the true nature of man both the good and the evil.
Cynthia Childress
The Lights of Lowell series was EXCEPTIONAL. I think I finished the entire series in just a couple of weeks - woven with love, faith, even a bit of suspense, Tracie's books take me back in time and are so descriptive. I find myself hearing the voices of the characters speaking in their native dialect and seeing the emotion on their faces through their times of triumph and trial. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading Tracie's books and haven't found one that I have not appreciated.
Michelle Robinson
Stephany
Jun 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tracie Peterson is one of my favorite Christian authors. She writes historical Christian fiction and I do think she writes a lot more accurately than many historical fiction romance writers. The characters feel more real and dynamic. (And not everything is about sex and balls!)

This book is about Jasmine, who is the only daughter of a slave owner. She has a slew of older brothers, a depressed mother, and a father. Her father is a businessman but also dotes on Jasmine. One day, two men come to vis
Kathryn
Sep 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Susan Tietjen
I enjoyed the book and read it to the end, but I had some difficulty with Jasmine's character. I did like that she grew throughout the book and began to see the world the way it really was back then. She also lived in a time that was difficult for women. My problem was that we had to "see" more than just suggestive scenes of rape on the Irish house servant by Jasmine's vicious husband, but the same man who didn't own Jasmine but wanted to dominate her, would in real life have been just as brutal ...more
Kristina
May 26, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The villain of this one seemed a little too outlandishly evil, without there being a particularly good reason. At the end of the book, everyone is encouraged to forgive him for all he has done wrong, pointing out that he wasn't always a bad person. But we have no explanation for why he turned out to be such a complete a-hole, other than "responsibility made him grow up too fast." I don't particularly buy that, but whatever. Anyway, I didn't love this book (nothing unintentionally funny here, as ...more
Katrina Swaim
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not always impressed with Christian fiction, despite being a Christian myself, but I quite liked this Civil War era historical novel about the struggles of two women caught up and trapped in the power dynamics of a society still very much enmeshed in racial and gender inequality. I was impressed by the heroine's spirit, even in her submissiveness to those who had power over her. From my comfortable seat in 2016, it's easy to say that I would have defied my father and let my family bear the f ...more
Nikki Morton
This is a tough book to review...

Overall I liked the historical content as well as the Christian themes throughout. It was admittedly tough to see any light in Jasmine's situation, and I kept hoping for a way out for her. Her personal growth by the end of the book was a positive, though.

I really liked Kiara and Paddy. Seeing the struggles they endured and how their stories turned out was certainly emotional.

I think there are better things to come for these characters in the next two books of thi
Elizabeth
It was okay. Certain aspects of it I liked, whereas others I did not. It is pretty dark for Christian fiction, but I actually enjoyed how nothing was sugar coated. The characters were another story; I just didn't feel invested in any of them, I didn't really care what happened to them. Also, I felt the plot, though interesting, was a bit too predictable. Despite the mixed feelings, I will probably read the rest of the trilogy, as I thought it was alright and I can't stand to leave one unfinished ...more
Rev. Linda
Another beginning to a series by my favorite Christian author, Tracie Peterson. Not a new one...written during one of my academic pursuit times when I was studying instead of pleasure reading. This one deals with the connection between the Lowell textile mills and the Southern plantation supplier of cotton. The husband in this was was a real jerk, so the ending was a surprise but satisfying...we reap what we sow. Ready to move on to the next one in the series, A Love Woven True.
Dorothy Beer
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Tapestry of hope

An enjoyable story. Makes one happy to grow up in a time when marriages are not decided by parents for financial or social gain. Also slavery and indentured servitude we're definitely not an admirable way of life. This book portrayed both cruel and kind individuals. Luckily even most working conditions have improved over the years. I would give this book 5stars
Samantha Westrick
I didn't mind this book too much until the last third, when it started getting extremely religious. I wasn't aware that this was a Christian novel, and although I am religious myself, I felt that in this case the author used it to wrap up the story neatly and to weaken the main character. It also felt particularly dated, like it was trying to preach the particular values held back in the time of the Civil War.
SJ Garrison
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even in all the cruelty's of life there's Hope

There was a lot of cruel evil twists from a man who sought wealth over love, but through God's word the women grew in the Lord and found hope when there seemed to be none. I stayed up late into the night to read chapter after chapter. But when I got to the last chapter I didn't want the story to end. I'd recommend this book to anyone that loves Christian story.
Linda *Rapunzel*
This book is amazing! It will make you mad, sad, happy, and many more emotions. The time is back when there were slaves, before women voted, and when the North wanted the South to stop trading cotton with England. I think everyone should read, but it is more better for girls to read. Everyone knows that I hate Bradley, but the ending is the best part of the book. Read it and it will make a difference about how everything is different now.
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016, ebooks
This ebook was free when I downloaded it from Barnes and Noble to Nook library.
For readers of historical Christian fiction genre, this book will do. I was disappointed because the synopsis of the story was better written than the book. The characters are flat.
I recommend it only to fans of the authors.
Shavavian Allister
I liked this book. Although the main character started off seemingly a bit flighty and naive (not by her own fault), she grew into her own and I ended up liking her. I hope in the next book she's a strong heroine. The topic of slavery was in here, but not a focal point...which seemed odd because it was talked about as though it WAS a focal point, if that makes any sense.
Niki
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was easy to read and enjoyable. I enjoyed the story line of characters from Ireland and characters from the south. I liked reading about the relationships and the struggles that the characters had to overcome during their lifetime.
Kelly Willing
Good but hard to read

The story and characters were ok but the ebook was poorly edited. Paragraphs and sentences were split or run together so often it was hard to follow the story.
Phycilla Gable
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazon review

Really great book with an interesting plot, lots of great characters, and a story of finding faith and dependence on God when the going gets tough. A story of both love, happiness and sadness and coming out on the other side.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Apr 22, 2015 01:13PM
  • A Promise for Tomorrow (Ribbons of Steel, #3)
  • The Carousel Painter
  • The Heart of Thornton Creek (Queensland Chronicles #1)
  • The Color of Your Skin Ain't the Color of Your Heart (Shenandoah Sisters, #3)
  • Prairie Storm (A Town Called Hope, #3)
  • A Promise for Ellie (Daughters of Blessing, #1)
  • Sons of Thunder (Brothers in Arms Collection)
  • The Noble Fugitive (Heirs of Acadia, # 3)
  • The Mark of Salvation (Scottish Crown, #3)
  • A Gathering of Memories (A Place Called Home, #4)
  • June (Brides of the West, #2)
  • A Heart Most Worthy
Tracie Peterson is a bestselling author who writes in both historical and contemporary genres. Her novels reveal her love for research as well as her strong desire to develop emotionally meaningful characters and stories for her readers. Tracie and her family live in Montana.

pen name: Janelle Jamison
More about Tracie Peterson

Lights of Lowell (3 books)
  • A Love Woven True (Lights of Lowell, #2)
  • The Pattern of Her Heart

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Roses
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • His Darling Bride (Echoes of the Heart #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Exploited (Zero Day, #1)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
  • The Strawberry Hearts Diner
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Born of Shadows (The League, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Too Hot to Handle (Romancing the Clarksons, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Evening Star (The Drifters & Dreamers #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Don't Say A Word
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Alexis (Ace Security, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unlucky in Love (Lucky, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Difference Between Us (Opposites Attract #2)
  • Bullets & Bonfires
  • White Lace and Promises
    $3.99 $0.99
  • To Commit (The Broken Roads #2)