Start by marking “The Icewind Dale Trilogy” as Want to Read:
The Icewind Dale Trilogy

The Icewind Dale Trilogy (The Icewind Dale Trilogy #1-3 omnibus)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  12,918 Ratings  ·  215 Reviews
We all owe a debt to Akar Kessel, that treacherous chump of a wizard's apprentice, briefly known as the (short-lived) Tyrant of Icewind Dale. Akar started it all when he stumbled across the ancient and malevolent Crenshinibon, the Crystal Shard, thereby kicking off one of fantasy's best and best-loved series--and at its heart, one of the genre's most beloved heroes, the no ...more
Published by TSR, Inc. (first published January 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Icewind Dale Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Icewind Dale Trilogy

Stefan
Aug 31, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read a lot of EPIC FANTASY as a child, and currently it helps me get bored and fall asleep at night.

This was no exception.

These books are fucking garbage. I cannot believe that R.A. Salvatore is a bestselling fantasy writer, and that I actually stomached my way through the entire trilogy (I was drunk most of the time, and I almost puked on the heavy tome during one sordid evening).

The stories follow the journeys of Drazzt Drowploixtation, Generic Dwarf Warrior, Man-Man the Barbarian, and Hot A
J.P. Ashman
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I find these hard to rate now, because I read most of them around ten years ago. I absolutely LOVED them back then, but feel like my tastes have now changed...

I'm going to rate them based on my thoughts and feeling at the time and, as said, I LOVED them! In fact, they're the books that really got me back into reading fantasy and back into reading in a way I'd never experienced before. For that, it has to be 5* - If only for Drizzt and the gang, all of who I know so well (but it's not just those
Nov 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My very first Forgotten Realms read.

I enjoyed it although I felt it could have been better.

Again, I think I judge authors too harshly after being spoiled by the Malazan series. Will I ever get over that?

Drizzt Do'Urden, what a great character! I can see why he is loved by so many. His wise advice can be used in real life and is a metaphor for not judging people by what lies on the outside, but instead for their actions and what's inside.

At times I had to chuckle, because I could almost see the p
Teresa
Feb 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I started reading Salvatore with this series, however, would recommend that you instead begin with The Dark Elf Trilogy if you want to read them in chronological order.

After Drizzt leaves the underworld, he finds himself in Icewinde Dale. Here he meets his best friends and new "family"- Bruenor, Cattie-brie, Wolfgar, and Regis. They battle foes together and end up reclaiming Mithral Hall, the kingdom of Bruenor's ancestors, the Battlehammer Clan.

The next series is Legacy of the Drow.

I believe th
Kime Chenault
Aug 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a good fantasy story
It's been a couple of years since I've read it, but I still remember how much I loved it. I thought it was probably best three-book-series I have ever read. To tell the truth, I was sad when it was over.
The story-lines and plots are great. They're thought out and entertaining to read. It's also not all that easy to guess what's going to happen next as it is in some books.
The writing style itself just sucks you in, I didn't want to put the book down once when I read it, but sadly, my teachers di
Josh
Jan 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing fantasy adventure taking place in the Dungeons and Dragons Forgotten Realms universe. This series starting with this set of three books is in my top five series ever. I have only started reading them recently and have already gone through the first nine books, including the three in this collection. I recommend getting the collector's editions, as they not only put the books together, but also add commentary from the series' main character Drizzt Do'Urden, which add a great deal to the s ...more
Sjoerd
Jul 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been almost a year since I started reading The Icewind Dale Trilogy, and it's one of the few books of which I've actually tracked my reading progress with written updates several times. Now that I've finished reading and can look back at the book as a whole, I must say it's been an extraordinary read. Maybe it's because the book was published so long ago that the writing style between then and now has changed sufficiently for a contemporary reader to feel that way, but I think there's more ...more
Mars
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
book 1:
Much like the games, it's a hack-n-slash with bits of "oh, i would really rather go party it up, but i should rescue the villagers first" morality, but despite a certain amount of cheesiness practically required by all the D&D-based books, this one was surprisingly entertaining. Demons (just one, really), dragons (also just one), orcs and giants (plenty), and more!

Inspired me enough that I went and installed Icewind Dale the computer game, so it's reasonable to assume that my NaNo no
Jack Tyler
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sword & Sorcery Buffs
This is the trilogy that started my love affair with the adventures of Drizzt Do'Urden. I was not there from the beginning, but came upon this almost accidentally. It has been about a decade since I found this book, and I truthfully don't remember what led me to it, but Drizzt and his loyal, steadfast friends quickly became my favorite characters in literature. I have "only" rated this at four stars because no one is going to mistake it for Great Literature. What it is is a wonderful escapist re ...more
JD
Mar 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: D&D fans
Shelves: fantasy
This trilogy introduces the five main characters that the reader will follow throughout most of RA Salvatore’s works. Drizzt Do’Urden – the mostly shunned drow elf ranger that lives on the surface and tries to live down the well deserved evil reputation of his race. His companion, Gwenhyvar, a magnificent giant panther magically brought to him in times of need. The surly, old dwarf Bruenor Battlehammer that loves his friends dearly. Cattie-Brie Battlehammer, the beautiful dwarf raised human girl ...more
Bryan
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who doesn't like the fantasy classics? This was one of my first reads in the fantasy genre when I was younger and has helped to create the addiction I have to this day.
brian tanabe
Sep 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the top 5 fantasy writers of all time. And this is his best series. One of the more violent series, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing in fantasy.
Kevin Price
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Salvatore book was The Dark Elf Trilogy, which happens to be the prequel to this trilogy. For the record, before I go any further, I'd like to suggest that all newcomers to the Drizzt series read The Dark Elf Trilogy before reading Icewind Dale. Some may disagree because of the fact that Icewind Dale was written first, but I personally couldn't imagine reading the events out of order..that would be weird and annoying.

Anywho, I enjoyed this trilogy very much; each book takes you on an ep
Tyler
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The trilogy wasn't the most memorable that I've read, but that's not to say it wasn't excellent. I'm not absolutely certain of this, but it seems to me that by the time the series was finished Drizzt's story was still in it's infancy, and I think the books reflect that. Altogether an enjoyable story. It just felt a little lacking when compared to the other stories of the legendary Dark Elf I've read by Salvatore.
Jeff Jellets

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith.

When I was growing up, TSR and the Dungeons & Dragons brand filled the fantasy bookshelves. Looking back, a good deal of the dearth of those titles probably weren’t very good, but among them are some unarguable classics – the Dragonlance books obviously, Azure Bonds, some of the Ravenloft titles, and of course,
Dark Star
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent adventure story! I have become a huge fan of Drizzt. Definitely going to be finding more of the Drizzt books.
christopher larue
Very good story. Bruenor Battlehammer was a good pick for the Dwarven character. Will definitely remember him for a long time. Gwenhwyvar and Regis were thoroughly entertaining as well.
TJ Caudill
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite fantasy literature series growing up.
Fco. Salvador
Conocidísimo es ya R.A. Salvatore, y éstas son sus primeras novelas, publicadas en años sucesivos entre 1988 y 1990.

De entre esos autores que yo llamo «de franquicia», Salvatore merece un puesto entre los de arriba del montón. Leer a Salvatore es como ver una película palomitera de Hollywood: si sabes a lo que vas, puedes pasar un buen rato. Su estilo está claramente enfocado a la acción rápida y muy visual, y sus personajes, aunque no son planos y no dejan de tener un desarrollo a lo largo de l
Amy
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A friend of mine loaned me this second volume after I got finished reading the first. It's probably a good thing I don't own this in hardback, because I hear throwing something heavy through the wall usually results in damage.

So much of this was so, so bad. Just... bad.

First of all, was this anniversary edition possibly a direct re-print from the original handwritten manuscript? Did Salvatore's proofreader and editor go on extended vacation? Did one of them die? I was sorely tempted to go throug
Ross Cline
good for kids
Dante Carlisle
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
amazing series, and greatly drawn characters
Timothy
This was an enjoyable read, but definitely from the 80s. There are a few spoilers, so be wary.

The first book in the trilogy was probably my favorite. I really enjoyed the politics of the towns, and the minor characters interacting to protect them.
The major characters develop nicely throughout it as well, specifically Wulfgar. The rest don't develop so much as you just get to know who they are.
Everything about the series plays off each other, to set up each book, as well as potential additional b
London
Nov 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves fantasy but doesn't care about whether or not it is great literature
Recommended to London by: my dad
Shelves: favorites
This book gripped me and pulled me in headlong. The profound characters and tantalizing plot, especially of the second and third books in this volume, let me bask in the glory that the characters displayed. It made me laugh out loud, it made me gasp, it made me do a million different facial expressions while reading (except crying, in the back of my mind i knew they would all come back). If this is pulp fiction, give me more.
Drizzt Do'Urden, the black elf who forsook his homeland and chose to li
Chris W
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 1-Crystal Shard
Summary

Drizzt and friend have lived in ten-towns for the past years. When a new threat targets the towns all they can do is to stop it.

Drizzt- A GOOD dark elf ranger.

Bruenor- Dwarf king and member of the family Clan Battle-hammer.

Regis- A halfling with very strong persuasive powers.

Wulfgar- barbarian, king(temp), and wielder of Aegis fang.

Setting: ten-towns

Conflict: Kessel invades the towns. Solution: Drizzt kills Kessel.

I thought this book was very detailed and had a great
Echo
Oct 03, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I think of these books as my guilty pleasures. Some girls read romance, I read Salvatore. It's not exactly the deepest, most intellectual fantasy on the market, but it is enjoyable. One thing I hear about Salvatore a lot is that he writes amazing fight scenes. This is true. I'm not big on fight scenes myself (they bore me usually), but he writes them very well and makes it look easy. That is quite an accomplishment. His writing is fine as well. My major complaint with any of his books is that th ...more
Mailis Viiand
I had a bit of a reading gap between book three and book four of the Legend of Drizzt series, but luckily it all came back to me fairly quickly and as we are again introduced to the new "Fellowship of the Ring" crew, and it doesn't really matter if you have read the first three or not.
About half way through I truly started enjoying the book, and all the similarities to Lord of the Rings, and other core fantasies added familiarity and charm to it instead of pushing my copycat alarm button, that a
Zachary
Jul 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book that started my reading of The Legend of Drizzt. When I first started reading this series I fell in love with the characters instantly. Drizzt Do'Urden, Cattie-Brie, Wulfgar, Bruenor Battlehammer and Regis aka "Rumblebelly". They all have such amazing personalities and qualities. The stories are dramatic and thrilling and the swordplay is written so that you can clearly picture what is happening and aren't left to fill in mysterious blanks.
My only complaint with the series, in hindsight
Ashley Lauren
Jun 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Technically, I give this a 4.5 - rounded up. Truly, I'm surprised that I enjoyed this book as much as I did. I did not especially enjoy the first Salvatore trilogy that I read, feeling that his writing style was elementary and his characters one-dimensional. This book, however, altered my feelings. Salvatore really is a great story teller and this trilogy in particular really delved into the characters. I admit that, ultimately, the story is a little warm and fuzzy - I never truly feared for the ...more
Chris
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The magic was too weak to support the story
Bottom Line: Loaner
This is the first of Salvatore's books I've read, and it is apparently his first book, which might explain a lot. It's hard to say sometimes from the first book, whether the author's storytelling will get better (or you might be more interested in it) the more books they write. Some do, some don't, and some are hits and misses the whole way through.
I was moving along, okay, not riveted to the book, but moving along with it. And then I
Forgotten Realms 1 13 Dec 09, 2014 10:26AM
  • Condemnation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #3)
  • Extinction (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #4)
  • Windwalker (Starlight & Shadows #3)
  • Dissolution (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #1)
  • Annihilation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #5)
  • Insurrection (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #2)
  • Midnight's Mask (Forgotten Realms: Erevis Cale, #3)
  • Cormyr
  • Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad (Forgotten Realms: Avatar, #5)
  • Prince of Lies (Forgotten Realms: Avatar, #4)
As one of the fantasy genre’s most successful authors, R.A. Salvatore enjoys an ever-expanding and tremendously loyal following. His books regularly appear on The New York Times best-seller lists and have sold more than 10,000,000 copies. Salvatore’s original hardcover, The Two Swords, Book III of The Hunter’s Blade Trilogy (October 2004) debuted at # 1 on The Wall Street Journal best-seller list ...more
More about R.A. Salvatore...

The Icewind Dale Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Crystal Shard (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #4)
  • Streams of Silver (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #5)
  • The Halfling's Gem (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #6)
“Icewind Dale. Windswept passes and forbidding glaciers stand at the top of the world. Below them, in the cold valley, an evil force broods: the magic of Crenshinibon, the Crystal Shard.

Now dwarf, barbarian, and drow elf join to battle this evil. Tempted in the furnace of struggle, they form an unbreakable friendship.

A legend is born.”
5 likes
“Where in the nine hells did you ever find the notion that I would fight fair?”
-Drizzt Do'Urden”