Start by marking “You're Lucky You're Funny: How Life Becomes a Sitcom” as Want to Read:
You're Lucky You're Funny: How Life Becomes a Sitcom

You're Lucky You're Funny: How Life Becomes a Sitcom

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  297 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
The creator and executive producer of "Everybody Loves Raymond," on how to make a sitcom classic and keep laughing This laugh-out-loud memoir takes readers backstage and inside the writers' room of one of America's best-loved shows. With more than 17 million viewers and more than seventy Emmy nominations--including two wins for best comedy--"Everybody Loves Raymond" reigne ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Plume Books (first published October 19th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about You're Lucky You're Funny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You're Lucky You're Funny

Andrea
Nov 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Admittedly my typical response to "Everybody Loves Raymond" is sighing "not everybody" as I change the channel. I got this mp3 on the cheap and was just hoping to have a few laughs amid what was sure to be a name-dropping, big-shot-Hollywood memoir, filled with crazy party stories.

I got my laughs. And tears. And some touching family stories, sentimental moments, and invaluable advice that extends well outside of television. There was only one "big-shot-Hollywood" story where Rosenthal uses a per
Randee
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I think Phil Rosenthal is a funny guy. There's no doubt in my mind had he not been writer and director of 'Everybody Loves Raymond', the show would not be as great a sitcom as it is. I've watched Phil in a documentary where he helps Russian TV get their version of 'Everybody Loves Raymond' up and running and that was funny, strange and interesting. Much of this book revolved around the making of 'Raymond' which I found interesting since I always liked the show. But my favorite part is his chapte ...more
Matt Nix
Jan 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A fun read, and interesting if you're into TV writing.
A.J.
Nov 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Judging from this book Phil Rosenthal is a very amicable, compassionate, and funny human being. I picked up the audiobook version and it is very ably narrated by the author and also contains recordings of some important events in his life.
I found the material entertaining and very informative regarding the inside workings of the studio system. Mr Rosenthal is not afraid to use real names which i think takes real courage in his business.
The main point on which I would disagree with Mr Rosenthal i
Peter Derk
This book totally reminds me of this routine I had for a year or so in college, which I'm pretty sure started when I got a concussion.

I got up early for class. Then finished in the early afternoon. Then I'd eat a giant sandwich, and I'd sleep while DVD's of Futurama played on my computer, screen off, commentary tracks on.

Those tracks were mostly the writers talking about where the ideas for different episodes came from, and that's where a lot of this book goes too.

I'd sleep for a couple hours,
Mckinley
About the man who create the Everyone Loves Raymond show.
Simon Lipson
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting stuff about Rosenthal's serendipitous journey, from nice Jewish middle-class New York potz (putz, for my American friends) to creator/showrunner of Raymond. A proper schlemiel who wanted to be an actor, he worked in a variety of crappy jobs while auditioning, performing in blink-and-you'd-miss-'em productions and, mainly, waiting for his opportunity. He discovered his real knack was for writing comedy when re-writing a part in a largely extemporised piece (for which someone else took ...more
Leah Wescott
While I'm not a rabid fan of Everybody Loves Raymond, I'd never seen an episode I didn't enjoy and I was intrigued by the notion of learning about the behind-the-scenes leadership of the healthy creative writing environment. I'm thrilled I gave it a try. Phil Rosenthal is a smart, self-deprecating, hilarious, generous writer who broke Hollywood's standards by eschewing egos, focus groups and bureaucracy to see if valuing human connections and high quality writing might just work in something oth ...more
Sonia Reppe
Oct 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody Loves Raymond Fans
Everybody Loves A Funny Memoir

As a kid, Phil Rosenthal loved television with a passion. He learned how to turn that passion into creativity, and to make that creativity his way of earning a living. He is one of the best writers alive today, because he knows how to find the funny (as he says, "almost anyone's life can be turned into fuel for comedy); but also how to impart good themes and a value system at the same time: kindness, loyalty, forgiveness, love your family, enjoy your life.

Jocks use
Elizabeth Gambeski
ok. i just want to start by thanking phil rosenthal and his crew for Everybody Loves Raymond. so many wonderful laughs. days without network tv were never dull when filled with Raymond on DVD. it seems like it never gets old. that being said, i expected this book to mak me double over in laughter, just as the show did. well, as you might imagine, the book is about all the hard work that made that amazing comedy possible. the book is only funny when it mentions a well-known show bit. even so, it ...more
Debra Fordham
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this audiobook! Phil reads it himself and even includes audio sound bites from various speeches he's given. Felt very personal and chatty. And Phil is HILARIOUS. Really knows how to tell a story. And his story really is "regular guy makes good". Inspiring that for once, a nice guy finished first -- since that really never happens much in Hollywood. My only question regarding this book is whether or not it would be interesting to anyone who either isn't a fan of "Everybody Loves Raymond" or ...more
Krishna Kumar
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Phil Rosenthal is the creator and writer of the famous sitcom, "Everybody Loves Raymond". This book is his biography from his childhood to his years on the show. I heard the audio version of the book and it was really funny. Filled with anecdotes and delivered with his Bronx accent, Phil talks about the various aspects of producing the show from writing to managing the crew. It does help if you have seen the show because he talks about how some of the more famous episodes were created from real- ...more
Lori
Mar 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a big fan of the show "Everybody Loves Raymond," so this was fun to read. The book is a memoir of the creator of the show. The creation of the sitcom was a part of the book. He tells how they found the cast and how the premise for the show was based on his and Ray's real families. Things that happened in their lives with their wives and kids would end up on the show. I liked his attention to details and how they tried to make the characters as real as possible.
If you are interested in come
Justin
May 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am an spiring comedy wiriter, so I found this book to be pretty inspiring as well as cautionary. If the "suits" in the business are as back biting and deplorable as Rosenthal paints them, I may have to remember to, "be careful what I wish for".

Anway, this is a breezy, fun read and loaded with a lot of funny anectdotes. Anyone interested in "the business" or a fan of the show should check this out.
Christian
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This might be among the funniest books I have ever read. After reading this book, I am convinced that Phil Rosenthal might be one of the funniest people on the planet. But interspersed with the seemingly endless anecdotes is advice and insight, not just on show business but on human nature and the idea of family. I am not really a huge "Raymond" fan, but after reading this I am certainly going to revisit the series.
April Burk Clark
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this audiobook. The author/narrator was warm, funny, anecdotal... I hadn't seen many episodes of "Everybody Loves Raymond" and I didn't need to in order to enjoy this behind-the-scenes look at the making of a popular sitcom. Now that I finished the book, I watched the first two episodes on Netflix and felt like an insider, knowing how some of the lines came about. I recommend this book if you have any interest at all in the entertainment business.
Paul French
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great look behind the scenes of a hit sitcom. Phil Rosenthal is known for running one of the best writers' rooms in recent years. He was insistent that his writers worked regular hours because how could they write about real life if they weren't actually living it? It's a funny book, no matter how you feel about the show itself.
Simone
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great fun for fans!

Everybody Loves Raymond is one of my all-time favourite TV shows; I own the entire series on DVD and the episodes still make me laugh out loud even all these years later!

Some parts of this book were better than others, but if you’re a fan like me you’ll agree that on the whole it was entertaining and well worth the time.
Mike
Dec 21, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an autobiography and how-I-did-it book by the creator of "Everyone Loves Raymond." It's a fun, easy read if you're OK with his ba-dum-bum, Borscht Belt writing style. I enjoyed it because I'm a fan of the show and it had a lot of interesting behind-the-scenes TV-business stuff.
Jennywhoa
Mar 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is HILARIOUS. I mean, I laughed out loud numerous times. I am a huge fan of Everybody Loves Raymond but this book is a must read for anyone wanting to become a writer/producer of sitcoms/television. A MUST read! Great book, quick read. I enjoyed myself thoroughly.
Cathy
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book from the exec director of "Everybody Loves Raymond". I loved watching his path from kid who got by be funny and loved to watch sitcoms to one who created one of the best. Esp loved all the insight into what makes good comic writing and good quality tv.
Scott Smith
For my media class this week we are focusing on Everybody Loves Raymond. This is a nice little book by the shows creator about his funny life and how the show came into being. It is pretty funny, and also some interesting insights into the world of US media.
Patricia
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book that is part biography and part description of the making of a sitcom. Loved it even more as because you feel that you know the author personally and you enjoy knowing the back story.
Becky
Dec 22, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny, interesting, neat "behind-the-scenes" book. The author is a hoot, of course, and reading the book made me want to rent the EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND DVDs to see the episodes mentioned in the book.
Megankellie
Feb 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: writer!
A good peek into putting together a shew and someone with opinions about tv that you'll like. Also, a good description of getting an acting career "just struggle for 10 years, be a writer for 5, make a hit sitcom, write that for 9 years, finally do a movie" That is a crap paraphrase.
Christal
Really funny! I think it would be entertaining even for those that aren't familiar with the Everybody Loves Raymond tv show.
Rachel
Apr 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely entertaining and delightful. It was a lot of fun to learn where the stories for Everybody Loves Raymond came from. Wonderful.
Sarah Peralta
May 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
funny!
Joseph
Jun 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved, loved, loved this one.
Justin
Aug 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book! Fun to read. Loved learning the backstory on some of my favorite episodes of Everybody Loves Raymond.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please Combine 2 11 Jul 06, 2017 12:41PM
  • Creativity for Life: Practical Advice on the Artist's Personality, and Career from America's Foremost Creativity Coach
  • The Observation Deck: A Tool Kit for Writers
  • How I Slept My Way to the Middle: Secrets and Stories from Stage, Screen, and Interwebs
  • The Better World Handbook: Small Changes That Make a Big Difference
  • Group Genius: The Creative Power of Collaboration
  • Never Too Late: Your Roadmap to Reinvention (without getting lost along the way)
  • Write Is a Verb: Sit Down, Start Writing, No Excuses
  • Hitman: Forty Years Making Music, Topping the Charts, and Winning Grammys
  • The Life You Want: Get Motivated, Lose Weight, and Be Happy
  • The Only Grant-Writing Book You'll Ever Need: Top Grant Writers and Grant Givers Share Their Secrets
  • Maybe We'll Have You Back: The Life of a Perennial TV Guest Star
  • Just When I Thought I'd Dropped My Last Egg: Life and Other Calamities
  • Get a Freelance Life: mediabistro.com's Insider Guide to Freelance Writing
  • Priceless Memories
  • The Carolina Way: Leadership Lessons from a Life in Coaching
  • Global Girlfriends: How One Mom Made It Her Business to Help Women in Poverty Worldwide
  • Yes, You're Pregnant, But What About Me?
  • My Footprint: Carrying the Weight of the World
Television writer and producer who is best known as the creator, writer and executive producer for the sitcom Everybody Loves Raymond.
More about Phil Rosenthal

$2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
    $9.99 $1.99