Start by marking “Too Sinful To Deny (Scoundrels & Secrets, #2)” as Want to Read:
Too Sinful To Deny (Scoundrels & Secrets, #2)

Too Sinful To Deny

(Gothic Love Stories #2)

One look at the towering ocean-side manor that is to be her new home, and exiled socialite Susan Stanton knows: This is a place haunted by secrets, and riddled with menace.

For Susan, there is no escaping it. At best she can stay clear of the most dangerous element of all--dark-haired smuggler Evan Bothwick, a man whose shaded countenance cannot hide his wicked intent.

But

Published April 5th 2011 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Too Sinful To Deny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Sinful To Deny

Start your review of Too Sinful To Deny (Scoundrels & Secrets, #2)
Sandra
I love gothic romances, especially ones with ocean side manors and smugglers! So I was really happy to win this book in a Goodreads giveaway. I found it a very fun read!

London socialite Susan Stanton is banished from town by her parents for acting improperly and is sent to visit her relatives, whom she's never met, at Moonseed Manor in Bournemouth. While there she meets a very strange assortment of characters--the "scarecrow" butler, the "porcelain doll" and "witch" that work in the dress shop,
Dianne
I love a good Gothic romance, add in a dark manor, a few ghosts, an exiled socialite and some nasty evil that she finds herself right in the middle of and you have Erica Ridley’s TOO SINFUL TO DENY! Did I mention the sexy, yet mysterious smuggler in search of his brother’s killer?

Susan and Evan make an unlikely duo that works perfectly together as they unravel hidden truths of murder, conspiracy and abuse in the small seaport town. Life will never be the same for either them, or the ghosts Susa
Elodie
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can two persons with different agenda find a truce and work together.

Estranged from London ton for her unsuitability to keep her mouth closed, Susan finds herself hurled to the confines of nowhere. Where she steps in the middle of a smuggler/pirate war.

When I saw this second book will be about Susan the haughty and scheming young Miss from the previous book, I was not sure about it.
Susan is far from the best heroine, but from the beginning I do liked her spoiled bratty self. She was full of quip
Lauren
Susan Stanton has been exiled to the sea side manor that is haunted. When she encounters the handsome smuggler, Evan Bothwick, her life becomes complicated. To make matters even more complicated, Susan has a secret that she has been keeping. Now, trying to figure out the mysteries lurking in the manor she will have to rely on Evan to make it through.

I was so excited to read this book after the first one in the series, I was disappointed though. I did not get into the story and connect with the m
K.S. Marsden
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
After disappointing her society-driven mother too many times, Susan is banished to stay with a country cousin. The impossibly dull location is made a little more exciting by ghosts, pirates, and a certain Mr Bothwick.

I received a free copy of the Gothic Love Stories box-set from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

This follows Susan, who was a side character in Too Wicked to Kiss (book 1), in which she is shunned by society for being a tattletale, and shunned by her mother for failing to
Lori D
To say the beginning got my attention quickly is an understatement! The heroine of the story Susan almost drowned! Yes, that was the beginning of some very strange happenings to come! This seemed to be her last escapade (not the drowning but what led up to it!) before her parents banished her to remote Moonseed Manor.
Arriving she looked at the "scarecrow" of a butler and tried to introduce herself. "She was the twenty-year old sole offspring of a loveless titled couple who had banished their ost
Janet
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One look at the towering ocean-side Moonseed Manor that is to be her new home, and exiled socialite Susan Stanton knows that this is a place haunted by secrets, and riddled with menace.
For Susan, there is no escaping the most dangerous element of all—dark-haired smuggler Evan Bothwick, a man whose rakish countenance cannot hide his wicked intent.
What a fun read, there's plenty of suspense as Evan tries to find his brother's murderer. If you like a gothic romance with smugglers, ghosts, & romanc
Cheryl
Aug 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story had all the elements of a gothic story, ghosts, haunting, atmospheric surroundings by the sea and pirates. There was a motley collection of characters and a murder mystery to solve. My main grouse was that the pace of the story was slow. There was an attraction between Susan and Evan but could he prove himself to be a better man? I received a copy and have voluntarily reviewed it. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Jujubee
Aug 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: genre-historical
Book one of the series "Too Wicked to Kiss" was Meh. Okay, but nothing to really grab hold of. Read this next book in the series...fast....just to get thru it. Done with this author. There just ain't no thrill to be to Sinful to Deny!! Oh, same female model on both Book 1 and 2...really? Yup.
AnnMarie
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too Sinful to Deny is the second book in the Gothic Love Stories series by Erica Ridley. It can be read as a standalone, but the main character was also in the first book of the series. If you want to read a little more about her original story then you should read that first, but you really don't need to.

Susan Stanton has been in trouble from the time she spread gossip, albeit true, which caused a scandal in London. Since then a near-death incident occurred which has left Susan with the ability
Niki
Spoiled London debutante Susan Stanton has finally taken her gossiping and reckless curiosity too far and been banished to live with a distant cousin in a remote seaside manor house. As soon as she arrives, Susan realizes something is off about the house and nearby town and that's before she starts seeing ghosts. To make matters worse, it seems the only one with a chance of helping her figure out just what is going on is roguish smuggler Evan Bothwick, the farthest thing from the wealthy, titled ...more
Cathy Geha
Too Sinful to Deny by Erica Ridley
Gothic Love Stories #2

Susan Stanton has been exiled to Bournemouth and upon arrival finds herself in a situation she does not want to remain in. Her cousin is missing, the man of the house is huge and fearsome, the butler is odious and she is less than impressed. Her immediate goal is to get back to London as quickly as possible and everything she does is with that goal in mind. Evan Bothwick is another man Susan meets shortly after her arrival. He is visiting M
Bernadette
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in Erica’s Gothic series. Susan was in the previous book as a secondary character who was not very nice. Since then she has had a near death experience which leaves her with the ability to see ghosts when she is exiled to a manor off the English coastline. Graveyards, secrets, strange locals, smugglers, pirates, ghosts and murders all fill the pages of this story.
With so many secrets floating around, trust is in short supply for both Susan and Evan (sometime smuggler/pir
Jackie
Mr. Evan Bothwick and Miss Susan Stanton cordially invite you into a world of conspiracy, death, intrigue, romance and suspense.

Banished to the tiny seaside town of Bournemouth, she was still Miss Susan Stanton, sole heiress of a reasonably wealthy baron, eligible young lady who would one fine day finally able to be welcomed back home to London and once again in High Society perhaps she could grant her parents wish of a noble marriage for herself.

However her hopes and dreams aside Susan, along w
Karen
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Gothic goodness continues… I love the slight edge and mysterious threatening vibe that runs throughout this book. This series is by far my favorite series of Erica Ridley!

This one especially felt like reading a ghost story, with the perfect gloomy and daunting setting. And if the ghosts aren’t enough, there’s plenty of creepy living secondary characters to go around, so brilliantly –scarily- written that the butler and the shopkeeper at times will frighten you more than the pirates and smug
Suzette
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Susan is desperately trying to survive being banished in a castle and village where the strangest things are happening. She has acquired a new skill which is sure to make people think she is going crazy. Evan is a little bit of pirate. He is stymied by his attraction to Susan as he tries to solve the mystery of his brother’s death. The characters are geniuses crafted in looks to represent their actions. It is often hilarious as Susan gets into one scrape or the other. If you love ghosts you will ...more
Cherry London
The first book in this gothic romance package, Too wicked to
kiss is absolutely divine and sexy as hell. The romantic encounters between Gavin and Evangeline were delightful, I love everything about this one now it's onto the other. Too sinful to deny wasn’t up to scratch, it lacks enticement and Susan isn’t a good leading character. Now this other Too tempting to resist isn’t doing it for me either, it’s a bit bland. Well, I have come to the conclusion that the best was first, not that the othe
Aneesa Bhayat
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-book
The storyline is interesting with some good twists. This is “Good Old Romance (toe curling actually) with Suspense”.
Ms. Susan Standton is stuck in the middle of nowhere with nothing but treacherous rocks and waters. Something sinister is afoot but what? Just when she thought it couldn’t get worse, it did, with PIRATES!
Is Susan’s life in danger? What about the dashing man (or is he a pirate as well?) Evan? The witty remarks between Susan and Evan are priceless!
Brian
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I obtained this book through my local library system.

This is mostly a good story. Good character development with vivid descriptive.

Not so good: the storytelling moved too slow.

However, Ms. Ridley shows once again that she deserves my admiration and that I highly recommend her works.

Marti
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, this one is REALLY good! Miss Stanton is sent to a tiny coastal village in disgrace. Mr. Bothwick is an untitled rake and smuggler and, disgraced or not, Miss Stanton intends to marry a wealthy, London gentleman. Mr. Bothwick never intends to marry and, besides, he has some very serious business to attend - if he can just keep his mind off her long enough ...
Sandi aka Maudley
A charming rogue, a debutante who sees ghosts, a dungeon prison, and pirates - what a wonderful combination. The characters are drawn well and the action keeps moving nicely throughout the story.

I received this as a free book with the understanding I would give an impartial review. I did.
Julia
Oct 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As much as I like Erica's books, this was a bit long-winded and convoluted. Too much going on plotwise and nearly insta-love.
Ellen Klock
Susan Stanton loves gossip, so much that when she overhears a juicy bit from a wife cuckolding her husband, she finds herself on the wrong side of The Ton, despite the truth to her words. Her mother's attempt to marry her off to a morally questionable but well off gentlemen was destined to fail (see Too Wicked to Kiss) so she ends up confined to her room until further notice. Yet Susan was determined to attend The Frost Fair in celebration of the Thames freezing over, a rare occurrence. Who knew ...more
Linda
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
A Fun Gothic Paranormal Romance with Sexy Smugglers and a Spooky Manor!

"I have to find a missing person."
"A missing person?" Susan leaned forward. How romantic! This explained his mercurial moods. And why he was equally averse to being sighted along with Susan. "Who is she? Where do you think she went? Why do you think she left?"
"Not a she." He drained his brandy. "And I doubt he had much choice in the matter. He's dead."
"You lost a dead person?" she echoed, fingers gripping her knees in hor
Charline Ratcliff
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I just finished reading “Too Sinful To Deny” by romance novelist Erica Ridley. While I’m not an avid romance reader and I wasn’t sure what to expect from Ridley, having never read her works before, I am however glad that I read it.

Susan Stanton, our damsel in distress, has been banished to a remote manor located on the side of a massive cliff overlooking the ocean because her socialite parents find her too inquisitive for her own good and their social standing. Even before Susan settles in she m
jo_t
Apr 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Too engaging to put down.

Susan is banished by her aristocratical parents, who are tired of her misbehaving. She goes from being the darling of London to the unwanted newcomer in the gloomy coastal town of Bournemouth. The place is inhabited by pirates, smugglers, ghosts, villains, and a few unfortunate victims. There are also the town’s dressmakers, who are an interesting pair. According to Susan, the Witch and the Porcelain Doll own the Dress Shop of Iniquity.

Susan is a different kind of heroin
Jenn
Dec 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC from the author, who does happen to be a friend of mine. My review is unbiased, however.

I enjoyed Erica's first book, Too Wicked to Kiss. I'm not a big fan of historicals, but that one was well-written with a hint of paranormal. I was amused by the character, Susan, in that book, so was curious as to how her story would turn out.

I LOVED Susan! Her quirks, expressions, busy-bodyness (is that a word lol?), thought processes. My favorite books tend to be paranormal romantic comedi
Chris
Apr 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Spoiled Socialite Susan Stanton finds herself exiled by her parents to her cousins home in the tiny coastal town of Bournemouth. Susan, use to getting her way with the Stanton name, plots to escape the suffering Bournemouth. She quickly finds herself in danger unsure of her escape. Evan Bothwick has escaped the frivalties of London to his seaside home in Bournemouth for the secret and exciting life of a smuggler. After meeting the unpredictable Miss Stanton, Ethan finds their paths unexpectedly ...more
Amanda Sebert
Jun 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was a first reads win and I was totally taken by it. Although it had a gothic feel to it; edgy, mysterious, haunting, sexy, it also was a sweet, romantic story that shows that chivalry does exist...or did at one time. The quirkiness, the pride, the good, the bad and the indifferent of the two main characters, Susan Stanton and Evan Bothwick, are so endearing I couldn't help but adore them both immediately, as well as root for them until the very end.
Sep 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book was a disappointment after reading Erica Ridley's other book Too Wicked To Kiss. I thought that Too Wicked To Kiss was great. This book just didn't hold my interest as much & I really didn't get into the mystery of the story either. I just really didn't care enough about the characters to push myself to finish the book. Hopefully any future books by Erica Ridley will be better than this one was. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 14, 2015 02:05PM

• Never Have I Ever With a Duke (The Spitfire Society #1)
  • The Red Hot Earl (Love is All Around #1)
  • Joy to the Duke (Love is All Around #3)
  • The Gift of the Marquess (Love is All Around #2)
  • A Duke is Never Enough (The Spitfire Society #2)
  • One Night of Temptation (Wicked Dukes Club #6)
  • One Night of Scandal (Wicked Dukes Club #4)
  • One Night of Surrender (Wicked Dukes Club #2)
  • A Duke Will Never Do (The Spitfire Society #3)
  • Forever My Duke (Unlikely Duchesses, #2)
  • What Would a Duke Do? (Seductive Scoundrels #4)
  • To Catch an Earl (Bow Street Bachelors, #2)
  • Gone With the Rogue (First Comes Love, #2)
  • Earl of Scarborough (Wicked Earls' Club #21)
  • Wild, Wild Rake (The Cavensham Heiresses #6)
  • When You Wish Upon a Rogue (Debutante Diaries, #3)
  • Tempt Me, Your Grace (League of Unweddable Gentlemen Book 1)
  • Winter Wishes: A Regency Holiday Romance Anthology
Get freebies and 99¢ deals at: https://ridley.vip

Erica Ridley is a New York Times and USA Today best-selling author of historical romance novels, including the upcoming THE DUKE HEIST, featuring the Wild Wynchesters. Why seduce a duke the normal way, when you can accidentally kidnap one in an elaborately planned heist?

In the 12 Dukes of Christmas series, enjoy witty, heartwarming Regency romps nes

Gothic Love Stories (5 books)
  • Too Wicked to Kiss (Gothic Love Stories #1)
  • Too Tempting to Resist (Gothic Love Stories, #3)
  • Too Wanton to Wed (Gothic Love Stories, #4)
  • Never Been Bitten