Start by marking “The Night Circus” as Want to Read:
The Night Circus

The Night Circus

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  535,237 Ratings  ·  59,857 Reviews
The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magic
Hardcover, First Edition, 387 pages
Published September 13th 2011 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about The Night Circus, please sign up.
Victor Madsen The short answer is 'Yes. Yes, I would.'
The short answer is 'Yes. Yes, I would.'
The longer answer is this: The Night Circus is a wonderful book. It has a very ethereal feel to it the whole way through which makes for beautiful visuals and a deliberate sense that while you're in that world, you're on a different plane of existence.
There's nothing graphic, brutal, or disturbing, but there are parts that are inescapably sinister - and this is by design.
The structure is not linear, but that's not really an issue if you're paying attention.
The book may even have a YA feel to you if that's what you read more often than not, but there are more layers to The Night Circus than you would initially think, so keep that in mind.(less)
Margaret Christison Hi Karen- I think it would be a shame to read it at eight. I think she would love it more later on. I agree that Diana Wynne Jones is the way to go…moreHi Karen- I think it would be a shame to read it at eight. I think she would love it more later on. I agree that Diana Wynne Jones is the way to go .'Hotter than Potter!' There is a feast in store if you haven't discovered her yet.
(less)

Lucy
Contains some minor spoilers.

I disliked this book, which means I ought to rate it one star, but it is not as awful as my one star shelf. One star books have to really repulse me to get that rating. The only redeeming thing about The Night Circus is that I didn't feel the one star compulsion to start a bonfire so I could properly dispose of it, hence two stars, but in this case it does not mean I enjoyed the book at all.

From the Goodreads summary: "But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is u
Maggie Stiefvater
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult, recommended
Five Things About THE NIGHT CIRCUS.

Ordinarily when I do my recommendations, I do a “five reasons to read _____,” but I think opinions will be so divided on THE NIGHT CIRCUS that I think “things about” will be more useful.

1. This novel is not what it says it is. Well, back page copy is always a weird thing anyway, as it’s not written by the author. And a weirder thing because it is essentially a glamour shot of the novel. It is not a lie. But it isn’t really what the novel looks like when it’s wa
Tatiana
Jun 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: why-the-hype, 2011
The Night Circus will be a 5-star book for a certain reader. This reader likes a lot of descriptions, doesn't mind a very slow story and has a soft spot for circuses. I am not that reader. I prefer imagery to complement a plot rather than substitute it.

The plot summary of The Night Circus promised many enticing things, but delivered, in my opinion, only on one - lush imagery of a mysterious circus that was a collaborative creation of two rivaling magicians. The book was good 80% description of v
Rick Riordan
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The prose sparkles, and the story itself is a feat of magical acrobatics. It's a hard book to summarize, but basically two ancient magicians set their two best pupils against one another in a magical contest. Its venue? A mysterious circus that only appears at night. The only problem: the contestants don't really know the rules, or how victory is determined. And when the contestants start falling in love which each other, things get complicated.

Hannah
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, favorites
I have quite honestly never had the pleasure of reading a more beautiful book.

I want to go back to the beginning and read it all over again. I just....I have no words.
Em
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reads, favorites
If I could trade places with anyone in the world, it’d be with someone experiencing this book for the first time.

I feel like my life is just a series of intense obsessions because I'm pretty sure this book has just become one of my defining personality traits. I've stayed up reading it until the early hours of the misty morning, rugged up so tight in the story even my soul felt warm. I wish I could inject this story into my blood stream. My heart is literally swelling with so much love I don't e
Cait
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Aw hell, I'm going to rate this 4.5 stars. I can't resist this book was so freaking good. I don't normally change my ratings, so don't expect this TOO often.

My feelings are so conflicted about this book. I don't know whether to immortalize it for all eternity in a frame on my wall, or throw it into the fire.

So, how the hell am I supposed to rate this book? A million stars, one star, 837 stars, what? In the end I did some crazy, overly complicated math that really makes so sense in my head, an
Richard Derus
Jan 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who needs magic in their world
Rating: 6* of five

Sometimes, some books just don't lend themselves to an analytical, opinionated review. I'm reluctant to do that kind of review here and now because the experience of reading The Night Circus was like smelling a magnolia blossom...perfect, sweet, rich, satisfying a need I didn't know I had until it was met...but to examine it, to handle it, even gently, risks that somehow the magical smooth gorgeously textured vessel of chastely erotic pleasure that this book is will let it begi
karen
Mar 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
shrug. yeah, i had a good time reading this book. i got really swept away in its atmosphere, and it didn't disappoint me because i didn't go into it thinking it was going to be a masterwork of literature, explaining the human condition and changing the way i saw myself and my relationships in the future. it presented itself as a fantasy novel about a magical victorian circus and that's exactly what it gave me.

i think it is most successful in terms of its mood and its atmosphere. this is not a n
j
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011, a-wizard-did-it
Wedding cakes are typically the prettiest cakes, but they are almost never the tastiest cakes. I am not a cake expert (can I be one though? Is that a thing I can be?), but it seems to me that the tools necessary to make a cake exceptionally pretty -- a vat of fondant, to start -- also contribute to the cake not tasting all that good (unless you somehow really like fondant, which is incorrect).

Don't misunderstand me, I have no issue with cake. The right decorations, the right frosting (buttercrea
Bookdragon Sean
Some books touch your soul in unexpected ways.

I’ve never been to a circus nor have I ever had a wish to go to one. But after reading this I want to go to one. Admittedly, this is plain folly because a circus this beautiful and enchanting could never be reality; it’s simply too wonderful, and could only ever exist amongst the pages of a magnificently written book. Real circuses are horrible places that are full of cruelty, animal exploitation and vile entertainment. What I mean to say is that I
Emma Giordano
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I have a bit of a complicated relationship with The Night Circus. I had been wanting to read it for 2 years now and was immensely excited to finally pick it up. I knew the prose was extremely flowery and lyrical so combined with an adult fantasy story, I anticipated it being a challenging read for me personally. I decided to listen to the audiobook after hearing great things, but quickly realized I was struggling to remain engaged with the story. After four hours of retaining almost nothing abou ...more
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
“How can I excel at a game when you refuse to tell me the rules?”

I guess “The Night Circus” is one of those books that make it especially hard to write a proper review and if I’m entirely honest I have to admit that I don’t even know where to start. It was unlike any other book I’ve ever read and therefore the usual structure of my reviews just doesn’t seem to be appropriate, let alone to fit.

”I would have written you, myself, if I could put down in words everything I want to say to you. A sea
Jessica
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
As a young girl, Celia Bowen is delivered to the father she never knew, a world famous magician whose secret is that his show is genuine magic - not illusions. He teaches Celia to manipulate the world in the same way so that she can compete in a high-stakes game against Marco, an orphan similarly trained by her father's nemesis. The arena for this game is an elaborate, surreal circus. Neither Celia nor Marco knows the extent of the game, nor their opponent, until they have fallen in love with ea ...more
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
Reread: 2018

Maybe more like a 2.5/5?
I apparently enjoyed the audiobook much more because this time around I was really into it (and I remembered basically nothing from my original read, or listen rather) but then I got to the middle and I completely lost steam. I didn’t connect with it in the way I had wanted to and while there were some aspects I found very interesting, for the most part I felt like I was constantly waiting for more (which seems to be the point of the book). Just not for me any
F
May 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, usa, 2018, uk
This book was amazing!
I loved it.

Bought it in a charity shop.

I am not usually a fan of books that involve magic.
Some bits were a little cheesy.

Loved the setting.

Loved the characters but was more interested in other ones rather than the 2 main ones Celia & Marcus.

2018 - After re-reading i still love this book. So much happening and great characters. Little confusing when it jumps around so much at the beginning. But i have moved it from a 5 star to a 4 now.
Shreya (☆High Lady of The Night Court☆)
“The circus arrives without warning.”
“You think, as you walk away from Le Cirque des Rêves and into the creeping dawn, that you felt more awake within the confines of the circus.
You are no longer quite certain which side of the fence is the dream.”

These sentences are the beginning and end of the mesmerizing story of Le Cirque des Rêves. Three simple sentences that somehow encapsulate your emotions at the very point of the book they are placed. One filled with intrigue, the other with the lov
❄️Nani❄️
4.5⭐
So intricate. So complicated. So atmospheric.

I read this a few months back but I never really wrote anything, save for the six words above. Well, I just found what I wrote in one of my folders, so... here.

Alright, let me start off by saying that this book was magic. Simple as that. Seriously, the writing?? Experience it, my friends. Just experience it for your selves. Furthermore, this is a book you have to read twice to really comprehend and appreciate the magic behind it – never had I bee
Petrik
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Buddy reading this book with my favorite Princess Celeste

2.5/5 Stars

There will be rants on this review, if you're easily offended I recommend you to stay away from continuing.

I really wish I could rate this higher but if you heard about this book already, you probably know there have been a lot of mixed reviews on it. It’s either you really love it or you really hate it. Sadly, I’m one of those closer to hating it.

Before you read this book, I must state two things.

1.DO NOT TRUST THE BLURB &
Cedan
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fluff
Carol.
Sometimes I want chocolate. And sometimes I want the chocolate experience. I'm as guilty as the next person of the occasional vending machine pick-up for when I need those quick fixes. But then there's the slow anticipation. Take last week, for instance. It had been a few days since the last time. As I waited in line for my latte, my eyes happened to linger on a cute little cupcake, dark velvety goodness. Short, stacked, with a swirl of fluffy milk chocolate frosting. I resisted temptation, but ...more
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Find me on Instagram & Twitter!

❝When the final bulb pops alight, and the smoke and sparks dissipate, it is finally legible, this elaborate incandescent sign. Leaning to your left to gain a better view, you can see that it reads:

Le Cirque des Rêves

Some in the crowd smile knowingly, while other frown and look questioningly at their neighbors. A child near you tugs on her mother's sleeve, begging to know what it says.

'The Circus of Dreams,' comes the reply.❞

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★

The Night Circus wa
jessica
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
it has been said that those who do not believe in magic will never find it, and this book is physical proof that magic does exist. every page, every word, every letter made a home inside my heart, which began to beat in a steady and strong rhythm of “i believe, i believe, i believe.” this story has woven itself into the very fabric of my soul and will forever be a part of me. a truly captivating story that made me fall in love with reading all over again.

5 stars
Mohammed Arabey
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
هذا الريفيو كتبه أحد الحـالـمين، أرجوك لا تقرأه إلا إذا كنت منّـا.. حــالــم

(سبع أسباب لتقرأ رواية لتدخل عالم السيرك الليلي)

1- لأنه الشتاء .. ولأنه الليل .. ولأنه وقت السحر والخيال .. ولأنه السيرك الليلي .. ولأنه

حتي إن لم تكن من هواة السيرك -مثلي- ستشدك وبقوة احداث الرواية الغريبة للنهاية
الرواية تبدأ من وجهة نظرك أنت، وأنت تري سورا يحيط حلقة سيرك غريبة، بل عدة حلقات من السيرك ، خيماته مخططة باﻷبيض واﻷسود، بل وقطعة اﻷرض المحيطة به كلها مخططة بنفس اللونين
السيرك ظهر فجأة في وسط الحقول علي أطراف ال
emma
i posted this review in case anyone needs a reminder that nothing is safe and death comes for all of us and life is just an endless cycle of suffering and disliking books you thought were your favorite.

uh. find it here: https://emmareadstoomuch.wordpress.co...

-----------

I did not care for this book, which has sat on my all time favorites shelf for two years, AT ALL.

There’s instalove, because of course. Characters are either a) horrendous or b) flat or c) somehow both??? Every other sentence is a
Becky
Dec 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Becky by: Barb
I never expected to like this book. Just from the title I knew it wasn't for me, but so many people spoke highly of the book, so I read some reviews... And my opinion remained the same. This wasn't for me. Nothing about it appealed to me, and so I had no interest in ever reading it. But, it was chosen for my bookclub, and so I read it. Technically. And now I am going to rant about why I wish I hadn't. In detail, which means there's gonna be spoilery stuff, probably.

Here we go:

I don't like readi
Katrina Passick Lumsden
If I had to describe this book in one word, that word would probably be...wondrous. This story made me want to smile, frown, laugh, and curl up into a ball and cry. Try to imagine someone taking Carnivale, Somewhere in Time, Something Wicked This Way Comes, and The Prestige and mashing them all together into a poetic, stunning piece of fiction with a beautifully melancholic, bittersweet ending. It made me crave magical autumn nights spent in a circus that defies the conventional laws of the univ ...more
Mel
Holy. Crap. Excuse my language but holy crap is the only way I can accurately portray what I am thinking now that I am done this book. This is, without a doubt, my favourite book I've ever read. Ever. There is nothing that compares or even comes close to how I feel about this book. If I could choose one fictional world to live in, I would sacrifice Hogwarts to go to this circus.
For the first time ever, I wrote a list of things I wanted to talk about in my review. I just don't want to forget anyt
Cait • A Page with a View
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-fantasy
This whole story is just... really gorgeous. There's no other word for it. It's a bit slow-moving and the story can be rather elusive at times, but the book as a whole is so wonderful.

I loved Bailey, Poppet, & Widget and the aesthetic of the circus! The circus itself felt like the main character, which was really neat. But I couldn’t even pin down exactly what the whole competition was until about 70% because it was unclear what the rules were or what they were even competing for:
I confess,
Mark Lawrence
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wavered between four and five stars on this one but then thought that I should show multi-millionaire authors the same generosity I show the struggling variety.

The Night Circus is very different from the kinds of fantasy books I’ve been reading of late. It’s not that it’s written in the present tense (I read the excellent Master Assassins recently and that is also in present tense). It’s not that is has a Victorian feel to it (the excellent Senlin Ascends has that). It’s not that it’s set in
Movie 2 43 Sep 02, 2018 10:05AM
Drop Everything A...: The Night Circus 12 48 Aug 29, 2018 12:52AM
Like it? What did you not understand? 130 3852 Aug 28, 2018 11:12AM
2018 Reading Chal...: The Night Circus 42 212 Aug 24, 2018 04:55AM
Buddy Reads: Part IV: Incendiary 3 8 Aug 21, 2018 08:00PM
Buddy Reads: Part III: Intersections 2 9 Aug 21, 2018 07:56PM
  • Deathless (Leningrad Diptych, #1)
  • Timeless (Parasol Protectorate, #5)
  • Lips Touch: Three Times
  • The Last Dragonslayer (The Last Dragonslayer, #1)
  • Red Glove (Curse Workers, #2)
  • The Gates (Samuel Johnson, #1)
  • Lair of Dreams (The Diviners, #2)
  • The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories (The Curiosities, #1)
  • The Vanishing Act
  • The Native Star (Veneficas Americana, #1)
  • The Winter Witch
  • Such Wicked Intent (The Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein, #2)
  • All Men of Genius
  • The Taker (The Taker, #1)
  • Pretty Monsters: Stories
  • Briar Rose
  • The Magician King (The Magicians, #2)
Erin Morgenstern is a writer and multimedia artist who describes all her work as "fairy tales in one way or another." She grew up in Marshfield, Massachusetts and currently lives in Boston.
“The finest of pleasures are always the unexpected ones.” 2490 likes
“You may tell a tale that takes up residence in someone's soul, becomes their blood and self and purpose. That tale will move them and drive them and who knows that they might do because of it, because of your words. That is your role, your gift.” 1930 likes