Start by marking “Enchantment Place” as Want to Read:
Enchantment Place

Enchantment Place

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  111 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Seventeen original stories about a mall where anything you can imagine is for sale - but who will pay the price?

The stores in Enchantment Place live up to the title, catering to a rather unique clientele ranging from vampires and werecreatures to wizards and witches, elves and unicorns - in short, anyone with shopping needs not likely to be met in the chain stores. Here a
ebook
Published August 5th 2008 by DAW Books, Penguin Group (USA) (first published August 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Enchantment Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enchantment Place

Sunhi
Honestly, I feel like a bit of a jerk giving this a higher score than Sixteen, which overall is of higher quality, but it's all about what you expect versus what you get. With Sixteen, I expected something lighthearted, but moving about sixteenth years. What I got was depression. With Enchantment Place, I expected a mediocre anthology about a magic mall with some good and some bad stories and for most of them to be comic. That is what I got.

I will admit I liked the first story by Mary Jo Putney
Amyebayer
An interesting premise. 17 short stories about a mall that caters to paranormal clients. My two favorite stories were "Shining On" by Mary Jo Putney and "Witch Stichery" by Deb Stover. Both had interesting set-ups, well defined characters, and a complete story arc in an abbreviated page count.

"Fire and Sweet Music" by Diane A.S. Stuckart, "Think Small" by Melanie Fletcher, and "Steel Crazy" by Laura Hayden were very good, but not great.

I did not find any of the remaining dozen stories to be inte
Cissa
Jan 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good set of stories, many of which had at least some interconnections (and the others would have benefited from such). The stories were all pretty good, with some fun twists. My inner 8-year-old found "The Poop Thief" amusing and also- sort-of- plausible, though this was not the tone of the book as a whole (but it was a very fun last story!).
Josh Talbot
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good anthology.

I have a retail job, so a collection of fantasy stories in a setting that I can identify with was nice. Speaking of setting, each story has a shared setting. A mall of magical shops in Chicago called Enchantment place.
Tribefan
Jun 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very cute and funny anthology! I wasn't sure what I expected but was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this one!! Highly recommended to anyone who enjoys teen reads (it does take place in a mall after all!)!
Kelley
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am only on the 3rd short story but this book is fantastic, a mall where the other world shop. Fantastic, the first two stories were great if the book keeps up I will be lending this to everyone I know. Fun and quick, easy read. Did I say fun?
Cyn Armistead
Jul 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fluffy goodness, a series of stories all set (to some extent) in a mall that caters to magical clientele. There were a couple of duds, but largely the stories were fun. I would be very happy to see some of them expanded into novels.
Mailis Viiand
Quite well written collection, and truly i admire this ones editor, she seems to have organized bunch of different authors not only to write on the same theme in larger scale, but to put the storyline in a one place, thus giving us different aspects of it...
Holly Newman
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this anthology! Actually, I like all the anthologies put together by Denise Little.
Cris
Like most anthologies it was uneven with some stories being much better than others in terms of plot, setting, character and novelty. Overall the collection was interesting and moderately entertaining, but it wasn't anything special.
Jml067
Apr 01, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're into all the vampire, supernatural books (i.e. Sookie Stackhouse, Twilight) then you'll probably enjoy this bunch of stories by different authors centered around a mall for the supernatural.
Lynn Calvin
Amazon preorder
Penwiper
Apr 14, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh. Stories that ranged from okay to tedious, and all unmemorable.
Katherine Davis
  • Les Bijoux, Volume 1
  • Shelf Life: Fantastic Stories Celebrating Bookstores
  • Strip Mauled
  • Enchanted Forests
  • Quicksilver & Shadow: Collected Early Stories, Vol. 2: Contempory, Dark Fantasy, and Science Fiction Stories.
  • Please Save My Earth, Vol. 18
  • Magic in Ithkar I
  • The Armless Maiden: And Other Tales for Childhood's Survivors
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2007
  • Midnight Feast
Denise Little is an editor for Tekno Books.
More about Denise Little...