Start by marking “The Final Season: Fathers, Sons, and One Last Season in a Classic American Ballpark” as Want to Read:

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  203 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Maybe your dad took you to ball games at Fenway, Wrigley, or Ebbets. Maybe the two of you watched broadcasts from Yankee Stadium or Candlestick Park, or listened as Red Barber or Vin Scully called the plays on radio. Or maybe he coached your team or just played catch with you in the yard. Chances are good that if you're a baseball fan, your dad had something to do with it- ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Final Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Final Season

Kathy
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book written about the final season played at Tiger Stadium, in Detroit, MI. The field closed in 1999 and Tom Stanton (a journalist) decided that he was going to attend all 81 home games with his father and his family.

Although my daughter and I live at least 100 miles from Detroit, we make it a point to get to a Tiger's game at least once a year. Therefore, we were also there that "final season." They played badly that year, but that wasn't really why we were there. We were there for t
Sherrie
This is a good book about a Tigers' fan who attends every home game of the last season in which baseball was played at the old Tiger Stadium, intertwined with stories about his family. I would think it would have a fairly limited audience. I, of course, loved it. Because my dad taught me to love baseball and the Tigers. Because he taught me to keep score, which I still do at every game. Because I remember transistor radios. Because I loved Tiger Stadium. Because Al Kaline was my hero growing up. ...more
John
May 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you grew up listening to Ernie Harwell on the transistor under your pillow at night, or watching Al Kaline chase down a ball to the corner then peg a throw to the plate on a fly, or believing that the corner of Michigan and Trumball was a baseball mecca, then this book will make you smile a thousand times and cry two or three. If you are not a Tiger fan, it's a sweet read about the meaning of family and connections (but probably only 3 stars). Either way it's worth the time.
David Culver
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Also available on my blog at http://dfculver.mlblogs.com

Stanton’s The Final Season took longer for me to complete than I anticipated, however this was due to my own busy schedule, more than anything on his part.

Stanton dances between memoir and documentary as he chronicles the Tiger’s last season at Tiger Stadium (Navin Field, Briggs Stadium) before moving over to Comerica Park.

Part of the power his tale is how Stanton delves into his family’s rich history with the Tiger’s organization. From his
Sean Kottke
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This is a can't-miss memoir for Tigers' fans who have fond memories of Tiger Stadium, as well as anyone whose team and civic loyalty was passed down through the DNA of multiple generations. That spirit blossomed later for me than for many, but its roots are the same. Of course, one's passion for this memoir will depend on one's love of the Tigers and/or Detroit, but Stanton builds his account of Tiger Stadium's final season through vignettes of people from all walks of life whose paths crossed a ...more
Thomas
Jan 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tom Stanton's THE FINAL SEASON is a finely written and evocative account of the author's experience in attending all 81 home games of the Detroit Tigers' 1999 baseball season--the final year that the team played in Tiger Stadium. The book is about much more than baseball. Stanton attends most of the games with his father, a lifelong Tigers' fan, and the book reveals how rooting for a particular team--especially a team that is connected to the traditions and history of a neighborhood and city--is ...more
Jim Kulhawy
Dec 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, but not great, book on the final season at Tiger Stadium. The author takes us on an emotional family journey on what the Tigers, and Tiger Stadium, meant to him and his family throughout his life. He aquires press credentials for the full season and writes a re-cap, that is interwoven, with familial anecdotes, about what the stadium meant to him.

This book struck a note with me as I had just gone through this with the closing, and subsequent demolition, of Yankee Stadium with my father and
Tom Gase
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book on the Detroit Tigers last year (1999) in Tiger Stadium. The author, Tom Stanton goes to all 81 games during the year, but the book is less on the play-by-play of those games and more about how each day conjures past memories of the ball park, mostly with his family. It's a quick read at around 240 pages with a lot of pictures. I read it in about two days. Tiger fans and baseball fans will enjoy. Book made me miss my Dad and I'm glad I was able to go the stadium once in 1993.
Peter Tutak
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

An enjoyable read for any baseball fan who appreciates not only the history of the game, but has experienced the threads that sport can create within a family. The author uses the final season of the Detroit Tigers playing at Tiger Stadium to reflect on the stadium, the community it created, and how the team played a role in his family life for several generations. The final chapter is particularly touching.
Matt
Apr 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting account of the final season at Tiger Stadium. The author attends all 81 home games. He uses the pages to detail people who work in and around the stadium, his family history and it's love of baseball. He includes the final score and his impressions of every game during the last season.

This book provided me with the inspiration to embark on a similar project of my own.
C.E.
Apr 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice book, aptly titled. Tiger Stadium, like any great, traditional old ballpark was as much about a ritual shared between fathers and sons as it was about baseball. Stanton captures this dimension of the stadium as well as many great stories about behind-the-scenes characters, history and the traditions that made the corner of Michigan and Trumbell so special for so many people.
Shannon McCook
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was a really good read. Moving and touching about the final season at Tiger stadium. A gem of a book that I will reread every beginning of baseball season! If you are A Tiger's fan - read this book!
Ryan
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, 2012, sports
A must read for any Tigers fan born before 1990 (i.e. anyone who remembers attending a game at Tiger Stadium with their dad). My dad and I both read this when we were in Lakeland, FL for Tigers spring training and couldn't put it down.
Richard Canale
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
feel good baseball book about connecting generations through baseball. Tiger Stadium is one of the main characters in this memoir. For baseball fans in winter who pine for connection to the game.
Grindy Stone
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sentimental without being mawkish, and very well-written. Must-read for anyone with a fondness for old sports stadia.
N
Dec 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfectly nostalgic. I miss this stadium.
63alfred
Aug 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must read for all Tiger fans
Matt Russelburg
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baseball
Every tiger Fan should read this book.
Mark
Aug 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice memoir of a year spent going to every Tigers home game.
SteveR
Apr 15, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
If you're a Tigers fan, from Detroit or remember Tiger Stadium, read this book. It will bring back memories.
Robert
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read for capturing the sentiment embodied in the true baseball fan.
Matt Willard
Christian Yanchula
Feb 26, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Baseball's Great Experiment: Jackie Robinson and His Legacy
  • The Eastern Stars: How Baseball Changed the Dominican Town of San Pedro de Macoris
  • High Steel: The Daring Men Who Built the World's Greatest Skyline
  • The Pentagon: A History
  • Fifty-Nine in '84: Old Hoss Radbourn, Barehanded Baseball, and the Greatest Season a Pitcher Ever Had
  • The Gashouse Gang
  • 56: Joe DiMaggio and the Last Magic Number in Sports
  • The Long Ball: The Summer of '75 -- Spaceman, Catfish, Charlie Hustle, and the Greatest World Series Ever Played
  • Opening Day: The Story of Jackie Robinson's First Season
  • Up, Up, and Away: The Kid, the Hawk, Rock, Vladi, Pedro, le Grand Orange, Youppi!, the Crazy Business of Baseball, and the Ill-fated but Unforgettable Montreal Expos
  • The President's House: 1800 to the Present The Secrets and History of the World's Most Famous Home
  • Stolen Season: A Journey Through America and Baseball's Minor Leagues
  • Rickey & Robinson: The True, Untold Story of the Integration of Baseball
  • Catcher in the Wry
  • I Was Right On Time
  • Only the Ball Was White: A History of Legendary Black Players and All-Black Professional Teams
  • Curse of Rocky Colavito: A Loving Look at a Thirty-Year Slump
  • Slouching Toward Fargo: A Two-Year Saga Of Sinners And St. Paul Saints At The Bottom Of The Bush Leagues With Bill Murray, Darryl Strawberry, Dakota Sadie And Me
Dear Readers:

I feel fortunate to have been writing professionally since age 18, beginning back in the final year of Jimmy Carter's presidency, when I sported a poorly executed, Peter Frampton-inspired perm. Decades on, my hair is gone, but writing remains central to my life. I've been a reporter, editor, publisher and, more recently, an author and journalism professor (Go University of Detroit Me
More about Tom Stanton...