Start by marking “Stars Rain Down (Biotech Legacy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Stars Rain Down (Biotech Legacy, #1)

Stars Rain Down (Biotech Legacy #1)

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  230 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Meet Marcus Donovan; astronomer, day dreamer, and smart ass. He was just another researcher in a jumpsuit until he saw something that didn't fit. At the time, it was nothing but a blip on a sensor read-out, an asteroid that wasn't an asteroid, but it became his obsession. He named it Zebra-1, and now he's hurtling through the solar system on a mission to see it in person.

M
Published September 20th 2010 by Oktopod Digital Press

To ask other readers questions about Stars Rain Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stars Rain Down

Maria Hammarblad
Sep 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
In Randolph’s not too distant future, mankind has established a colony on Mars and developed space travel to a somewhat better level than we have today, but a lot remains the same. In the beginning of the book, we follow Jack Hernandez, search and rescue specialist, as he and his team makes extraordinary humanitarian efforts, and Marcus Donovan, astronomer and problem solver, who has spent years of his life searching for a mysterious object sometimes appearing in the asteroid field beyond Mars. ...more
Kerri
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
For the most part, this story was really well written with an ambitious plot. The story starts with alien Kai, waking up to a destroyed world and being sent off to warn other planets...Then the story transitions to characters Jack and Marcus, humans living in a futuristic Earth. Jack is an Emergency Rescue worker and Pacifist, while Marcus is an astronomer and astronaut searching the galaxy for a drifting alien vessel... The characters were well thought out. The pacifist must become the war hero ...more
Bard Bloom
Jan 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-published
I don't much like military SF, which this book approximately is. I was
surprised to find myself fascinated and engaged almost instantly, and staying
up too late to finish it. There's a lot of other SF tropes going on here -- a
lost alien starship in the asteriod belt, a terrible alien invasion that
starts colonizing and alienforming Earth, some very cool biotechnology, an
epic span of history, and some very alien aliens. It's a fairly satisfying
story, with a certain moral twist to it, and a satisfyin
Kate
Feb 16, 2012 rated it liked it
First off: Cheers to Chris (friend from high school)! Well done! I'm always impressed when people have such good stories to tell. Where do you get them?!

If I could, I'd probably give this 3.5 stars.

It was quite entertaining, with vivid characters, creative SF concepts, and almost nonstop action. I was pulled right along, and read most of it in a day. I agree with the other reviewers that the end was too abrupt/rushed. I believe there's going to be a sequel, but there were just too many threads
Linda
Oct 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Lately I've only been reading books by new authors. I see a review, get curious and want to try it. This is how I found this book too, and it was even better then I dared hope for. I love science fiction, and this book contained everything I could wish for and more. Adventure, Excitement, a bit of Romance, and of course Aliens. It is well written, at times funny, and at times scary. Well worth reading!
James
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An epic adventure, and a thought provoking read. Pitting ones own humanity, and sense of right and wrong to the test. I'm looking forward to the next book in this series.
Michael
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Chris Randolph writes a pretty good sci-fi tale, along with the requisite aliens, new technology obtained by man, and the typical conflict between the aliens and mankind.

I judge my science fiction on a modified version of the Baen criteria, where the future technology has to be somewhat believable, if you have aliens they are not too gross and have names you can pronounce, and the overall plot / story lines have to have substance. Randolph hits it on most of these fronts, although I will say the
Adrik Kemp
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Some brilliant and seemingly endless species of aliens are the highlight of this fairly standard space opera/invasion story.
Teresa
Aug 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This book started out, on fire.

Randolph's world building was excellent, the alien concepts intriguing, the politics in the world of the future--believable.

The characters were very well-developed and quite likeable, especially Jack. His greatest strength was also his great weakness. Donovan Marcus was a great character, too. But his storyline that had been so fascinating, sort of vanished in the second half of the book. I think I kept looking for the two main storylines to converge, but they sta
Clayton
Jan 16, 2014 rated it liked it
This might have been a candidate for a four, but the author really lost sight of the ball at the end. It almost felt like he did not know how to end it, gave up trying, so just kicked it out the door with this lame version of an ending. In the final quarter of the book he seems to have completely forgotten about the off-world contingent who are just left hanging, and the on-world ending was just so.... contrived and implausible.

First three-quarters were good reading though, to bad about the endi
Beth
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this science fiction novel. It was self-published, and there are a few grammatical and spelling errors, but the story was so interesting to me that it didn't irritate me. In general, I like the writing style, and I enjoyed the characters as well. The author bills himself as an author of the "dark drama", but I didn't find this to be dark at all. It might have been about post-apocalyptic Earth, but there was a lot of courage and hope.
Wayne
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is an alien-invasion book, and it was very good. Lots of interesting twists and cool tech and such. I liked the characters and wish more was done with the those who weren't either of the main two guys. In particular, the two most major female characters deserve lots more print time.

I'm looking forward to reading the second book in the set, while waiting for the rest of the installments in Randolph's "Arcana Universalis".
Pen Pen
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very good read. I couldn't stop reading this on my Kindle for PC. Luckily, I was snowed in for a few days in Atlanta, GA. The action starts on page one and doesn't stop. I couldn't help think "this would make a great movie." So, Mr. Randolph, if Hollywood knocks, don't hesitate to answer the door!
Jennie Mars
Ben Johnson
Nov 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
an entertaining read, aspects were very well creative and engaging. It was worth the low price on amazon. But it lacked cohesiveness, spending a lot of time building a story arc and characters for the first portion of the book, and them leaving them completely alone until it was convenient to swoop them in at the end.
Jim Brown
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, miltary, 2014
Awesome story

I will tell you the truth. I did not think the story was going to end and feel like it was complete. But to my shock it ended the way I wanted it to. I was totally expecting an ending that was just going to be the start of another book but it ended well. It was a riviting story from start to finish. I would recommend this to my friends
Selinalynn
Apr 17, 2013 rated it liked it
It was a pretty hard scifi book but, the story was enthralling. I couldn't wait to see what happened next. It had me pondering what mankind would have thought or done during this "invasion". I would recommend this book to anyone who likes space-like scifi and military.
I
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bob Caroti
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it

Interesting characters and a believable 'end of the world' scenerio make this sci-fi book a great read. Grabbed me immediately and never let go. I'm just using Goodreads to say whether a book was a good read or not ... Stars Rain Down won't disappoint! Promise!
Denise
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book: plausible future science, engaging characters, ancient inter-stellar animosities, the resiliency of the human race and planet Earth. Once I started reading this, I couldn't put it down until I clicked onto the last page.
Hector Sosa
Apr 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, military, own
The ending was very abrupt, and there were too many lose ends. The writing was good though. It flowed very well from scene to scene.
Ken Furr
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great read

Very good story. With good character development. The good against evil story ends up being twisted around leaving you wondering who is right.
Nicholas
Mar 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Interesting hard sci fi. I picked it up on a promotion on the cheap and it was a nice Saturday AM lazy read.
Derek Dewitt
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
A nice enough idea marred by the author's frequently resorting to cliche ("green with envy", "slippery as a fish", etc.).
Charles
May 13, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was on track for being a 4 or maybe higher till I got to the end...

Just seemed like it wrapped up, sorta, too quickly....perhaps the writer had a deadline to meet???
Pete
Jun 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Fun end-of-the-world type book, let down by a pretty feeble ending. I don't know if the author was planning for some sequel or just ran out of ideas.
Chris
Mar 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I liked it. It ended rather abruptly, and would have liked more, but was impressed and entertained by the amount of material in such a small package. And the material was delicious.
joseph mclane
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A good read.

Fast-paced and interesting space drama, well worth the time to read. I look forward to the rest of the series.

Brendan Powell
May 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Good book! I think I'll be checking back with Feedbooks from time to time to see if there are other winners like this!

Another "indi book" I got from feedbooks...looking forward to it!
Robert
Oct 01, 2010 marked it as to-read
Shelves: sci-fi
Been looking for a good sci-fi.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Everywhere But No Place (Messages From The Unseen World, #1)
  • The Kaiser Affair (The Drifting Isle Chronicles #1)
  • Walker
  • The Man Who Ended the World
  • The Lightcap
  • Tritium Gambit
  • To Walk in the Way of Lions (Upper Kindgom, #2)
  • Rhubarb
  • Life, Inc.
  • The Sapporo Outbreak
  • Serving Time (Timemakers Trilogy, #1)
  • The Fifth Science Fiction Megapack  (Science Fiction Megapack, #5)
  • Shadow of a Dead Star  (The Wonderland Cycle #1)
  • Rosetta (Jim Meade, Martian P.I. #1)
  • Tag (The Zumar Chronicles, #1)
  • There Goes the Galaxy (There Goes the Galaxy #1)
  • Buried Hope
  • Wolf Dawn (Forsaken Worlds, #1)
Writer of high adventure, dark drama, and quirky comedy, set in vibrant worlds that bend the imagination. Proud self-publisher, nerd, video game enthusiast, and Mexican-American.

Originally fabricated in Silicon Valley before being shipped to Rocklin, CA. Now plugged into a general purpose terminal, burning clock-cycles on text and image manipulation.

Looking to reinvent how independent authors shar
More about Chris J. Randolph...

Biotech Legacy (2 books)
  • Long Fall (Biotech Legacy, #2)

“Human civilization was annihilated in three hours, before even one alien bothered to set foot on the ground.” 1 likes