Start by marking “The Adversity Advantage: Turning Everyday Struggles into Everyday Greatness” as Want to Read:
The Adversity Advantage: Turning Everyday Struggles into Everyday Greatness

The Adversity Advantage: Turning Everyday Struggles into Everyday Greatness

A Wall Street Journal bestselling leadership consultant teams up with an acclaimed international speaker and mountain climber to deliver a landmark program for transforming adversity into a powerful advantage.
Published January 2nd 2007 by Fireside (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Adversity Advantage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adversity Advantage

Start your review of The Adversity Advantage: Turning Everyday Struggles into Everyday Greatness
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the first part of the book. My problem was the examples or lack of examples that helped to draw out the points.

In one example, Erik Weihenmayer and his team climb a mountain in summer. Because of climate change, the team hits unexpected snow. They aren't prepared for it and go back down the mountain. In the reflection, Eric talks about lacking the will to finish the climb. At that point, it's not will. Rather, you prepared for one thing and something else happened. Will can't always bri
Scott
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Picked it up on a whim...loved it. Made me rethink the way I do everything. I like comforts and usually do things to avoid adversity. I now think that I've been doing myself a disservice. Since I like to backpack, the switching between Erik and Paul kept me interested. It also helped me think about all the stuff I don't NEED when I hit the trail. I think this book is something to read on a regular basis to fine tune LIFE.
Brad
Apr 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of this book was an autobiography and "filler," however I had a couple really BIG takeaways:

1. Adversity Quotient (AQ) - How well you respond to adversity. How many times you get knocked down and get up. AQ is more important to success than IQ.

2. Life worth vs net worth - Net worth is strictly is monetary. People can have a huge net worth and be miserable. Life worth is being able to do the things important to you and living a life full of value.
Emily Eisenman
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good things to think about, but I really liked reading the stories about the Seven Summits.
K.B. Pellegrino
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Should be read by all who aspire to achieve in everyday life despite roadblocks.
J
The book's layout consists of vignettes (no pun intended) presented by a blind mountain climber who has scaled numerous challenging peaks in his mountain climbing career. Erik Weihenmayer's contributions fall in the realm of inspirational stories while his co-author who is a professional motivational speaker describes the nuts and bolts of overcoming and even embracing adversity as a challenge for self improvement.

Weihenmayer's stories and advice do not come across as pedantic or self-aggrandiz
Sheri McLaughlin
Descriptive and inspiring - I felt like I was right there with the author. I have completely read it twice. Every time I need a little courage, I re-read a few chapters. A true story with adventure. Loved it!
Waseem
Nov 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is a great book and am in agreement with the authors message. Adversity can indeed be an 'advantage' as we are always more motivated and driven by wanting to avoid pain compared the our drive for pleasure. I've always learned from my mistakes and adversities the most versus my successes. - Its only natural and although adversity can be a pain and negative, the author helps show us why it can be a blessing in disguise, as its at our most desperate points in life have we achieved the ...more
Shaun
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was written by Dr Paul Stoltz & Erik Weihenmayer, with the forward written by Stephen R. Covey. The forward was so well written and a great way to begin this book. I learned so much from it. The gist of the book comparing the adversity that Erik experienced when he climbed each of the 7 highest peaks on each continent of the world. Erik is blind, but doesn't let this slow him down or inhibit his activities or choices. He uses adversity to his advantage and gains energy from it. There a ...more
Thomas Miller
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent self-help book. Both authors provide superb information in regard to achieving in life, despite absolute adversity. Very good book, well written, well researched, very entertaining, motivated me to instant action in my miserable-depressing life.

Best self-help, nonfiction, motivational nonfiction book that I have ever read.

A must buy for anyone interested in improving their life for the better--instantly.

Highly recommmend, five star book.
Nicola Wilson
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very inspiring book. What Erik Weihenmayer has achieved is amazing. This book covers some very interesting and useful points to deal with adversity, how I'm not sure it fully explains what to do. It says to do a lot of things but nothing very specific and if you are completely new to this way of thinking you may find it all very confusing. I thought it was brilliant and will try and put these aspects into my life when an adversity issue arises
Brian
Jan 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and well written book. It helps the reader re-evaluate adversity in their life and whether at the end of the day these challenges are truly a negative or a motivating positive in our lives. Does adversity help us accomplish things we might otherwise never achieve? The authors helps show us why adversity may be a blessing in disguise.
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written by two successful authors, businessmen, individuals, this book teaches you how to succeed in life. Very good motivational, self-help book, learned a lot of useful information that enabled me to take charge of my life immediately.

A must have for all, self-help loves will be astonished by the amazing detail this book provides them with.

Highly recommended for anyone!
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must buy for any athlete, businessman, parent, child and/or person wishing to succeed in all areas of their life -- despite facing some obstacle, adversity, challenge.

Good pictures inside this book, great writing by both author (Paul & Erik), very useful information to apply into your life immediately.
Dave
Jan 31, 2016 rated it did not like it
In this book is the journey of a blind man who climbs Mount Everest. Unfortunately, it is hidden within pages of self-help garble, that, like most self-help books, is also common sense. I am not a self-help reader but I pushed through just to learn more about the blind mountain climber. I wish he would have just written a book about his climbing and not added the self-help aspect.
Erica Burgner-Hannum
I'm not usually into self-help in spite of the fact that I have to read a lot of it as a self-employed, work from home type. We'll see how this goes but I know that, after hearing Erik Weihenmayer's inspiring story at a conference, his excerpts in the book will be worth the read.
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lot of amazing photgraphs, inside this book.
Very good information on how to succeed in life, despite setback-adversity. Learned a lot about how to achieve a goal in life, very good writing by both authors, excellent book.
Maryann
Good to read if you are putting yourself up against what seems an impossible goal.
Shellie Zeigler
Had some good points that I'll remember.
Alisa
Aug 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is great so far. Teaches you how to not only push through your challenges, but to actually welcome them. Everyone should read this.
John
Oct 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than expected and some great tactical advice. Good read for anyone that stretches themselves.
Claudia
Jul 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Especially good for those interested in team work and application for life.
Johnny
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic. A way of life. Makes you go on even stronger in the face of adversity.
Usha
Aug 10, 2013
Victor Colella
Dec 17, 2016
Rebeca Beca
rated it did not like it
Jun 05, 2020
Bethany Calhoun
Jan 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Limite zero: O sistema havaiano secreto para prosperidade, saúde, paz, e mais ainda
  • The Dance of Connection: How to Talk to Someone When You're Mad, Hurt, Scared, Frustrated, Insulted, Betrayed, or Desperate
  • The Enneagram of Belonging: A Compassionate Journey of Self-Acceptance
  • The Dance of Fear: Rising Above Anxiety, Fear, and Shame to Be Your Best and Bravest Self
  • Discipline with Dignity, 4th Edition: How to Build Responsibility, Relationships, and Respect in Your Classroom
  • Doughnut Economics: Seven Ways to Think Like a 21st-Century Economist
  • Discipline with Dignity: New Challenges, New Solutions
  • Political Order and Political Decay: From the Industrial Revolution to the Globalization of Democracy
  • The Compound Effect: Jumpstart Your Income, Your Life, Your Success
  • Put Your Mindset to Work: The One Asset You Really Need to Win and Keep the Job You Love
  • The Highly Effective Teacher: 7 Classroom-Tested Practices That Foster Student Success
  • The Rediscovery of Teaching
  • The Formative Five: Fostering Grit, Empathy, and Other Success Skills Every Student Needs
  • Why Nations Fail: The Origins of Power, Prosperity, and Poverty
  • The Library Book
  • Winning Balance: What I've Learned So Far about Love, Faith, and Living Your Dreams
  • With All Due Respect: Defending America With Grit and Grace
  • Ball of Collusion: The Plot to Rig an Election and Destroy a Presidency

News & Interviews

“adversity alone has the unique power to inspire exceptional clarity, purge any vestiges of lethargy, refocus your priorities, hone your character, and unleash your most potent forces.” 1 likes