Start by marking “The Giraffe And The Pelly And Me” as Want to Read:
The Giraffe And The Pelly And Me

The Giraffe And The Pelly And Me

3.80  ·  Rating details ·  24,475 ratings  ·  1,304 reviews
Who needs a ladder when you've got a giraffe with an extending neck?

The Ladderless Window-Cleaning Company certainly doesn't. They don't need a pail, either, because they have a pelican with a bucket-sized beak. With a monkey to do the washing and Billy as their manager, the business is destined for success. Now they have their big break-a chance to clean all 677 windows o
Published 2000 by Scholastic (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Giraffe And The Pelly And Me, please sign up.
Rahdi Hossain Raahi It's about a small boy who gets along with animals and goes to Duke of Hampshire. The story is simple, a very short one in terms of length, yet it's v…moreIt's about a small boy who gets along with animals and goes to Duke of Hampshire. The story is simple, a very short one in terms of length, yet it's very beautiful!(less)
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) Read it and find out. It's a book for young children so it isn't a hard read. And Goodreads isn't here to do your homework for you.…moreRead it and find out. It's a book for young children so it isn't a hard read. And Goodreads isn't here to do your homework for you.(less)

·  24,475 ratings  ·  1,304 reviews

Start your review of The Giraffe And The Pelly And Me
Joey Woolfardis
A short story about a Giraffe, Pelican and Monkey who open up a ladderless window cleaning company, who become friendly with a small boy called Billy. It's full of all the Dahlian humour and whimsy and nonsense, but like always it has a nice serious edge to it.

Very charming, though definitely not his best and quite unsubstantial in reality. In general, it's written as well as all his others but I think the emphasis on the whimsy really helped this particular story, especially since it was more a
Emily B
I have to say this isn’t my favourite Roald Dahl story. Perhaps because it’s pretty short so it’s hard to really get into a fall in love with the character. However it’s worth reading, specially with children.
Matt
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Matt by: Mariah
Shelves: children-s, audiobook
Another great re-read!

Bring on more Dahl! I feel as though I can sprint through these books (which, I admit, are geared for children) and share them with the world. After a sweets shop goes on the selling block, our narrator, Billy, watches with amazement when a new company mysterious appears, as if overnight. Billy goes to check things out, where he comes across a giraffe sticking its head out of the top-floor window. Thereafter, a pelican emerges to share the story of their window cleaning bus
¸¸.•*¨*•♫ Mrs. Buttercup •*¨*•♫♪

A short, cute story about a kind boy and a group of animals with magical abilities. One of the rare books by Roald Dahl which are actually fun and cute instead of naughty and crazy. His absurd storytelling still shines though, and Wonka's factory makes an unexpected apparition. Cute! :)
MJ Nicholls
Sent to Andrea Messent at Darren and Associates:

Dear Darren & Associates,

It is with some regret that I sit down to write this correspondence. I understand your reluctance to read voluminous missives so I will keep this missive as unchunky as my e-pen allows.

On Sep 4th 2010 I sent to your agency, via recorded delivery, my novel When Bees Attack. I sent this following a verbal agreement between myself and your agent Cariller Cray when I met her at a catered affair for Bernard Share’s eightieth bir
Trish
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like to start the year with some fluffy books where nothing can go wrong. Roald Dahl created such "safe spaces" for us and despite some suspenseful moments almost all of them have, we always get a happy ending.

In this book, we meeting the following characters:

Billy lives in a street near an abandoned building. The building used to house an old-fashioned sweets shop but is now converted into the home of the titular giraffe, pelican and monkey who open a window cleaning business.
Soon afterwards,
Miranda Reads
Quite a cute story.

Billy discovers that someone bought the old candy store...and that someone happens to be a giraffe, a pelican and a monkey.

They've opened a window cleaning company, using the monkey's hands to wash, the pelican's beak as a bucket and the giraffe as a ladder. Quite a clever set up!

As you can imagine, this story is full of whimsy and delightful coincidences as they meet the Duke, catch a robber and find a home.

Audiobook Comments
Read by Hugh Laurie - and he rocked this audio. It
Amina
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Friendship is an amazing thing to share! The duke was a bit crazy, but the great kind of crazy :D
And the closing poem, or song earned the book its forth star!

"We have tears in our eyes
As we wave our good byes
We so love being with you, we three
So do please now and then
Come and see us again
The giraffe and the pelly and me

All you do is to look
At a page in this book
Because that's where we always will be
No book never ends
When it's full of your friends
The giraffe and the pelly and me"
Sam
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this story! The friendships are great and the duke is a weird eccentric old guy, which I love! Eccentric old people are the best!
I also loved the closing poem:

We have tears in our eyes,
As we wave our goodbyes,
We so loved being with you, we three.
So do please now and then
Come and see us again,
The giraffe and the Pelly and me.

All you do is to look
At a page in this book
Because that's where we always will be.
No book ever ends
When it's full of your friends
The giraffe and the Pelly a
Rue
Jan 25, 2020 marked it as teenage-books  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teenage-read
belle
I liked the subtle plot twists in the end. I had vague memory of my mom reading this to me, but i wasn't paying attention to the story back then. It all came together after this one scene where the pelican explains about his beak sliding in his head. Yeah, that sort of gave it away. This time I read it on my own and it surprisingly wasn't boring at all. ( Boo! At the 5 year old me who wasn't invested in the story). All in all it did a great job at grabbing my interest now as an adult.
Tatevik
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tatevik by: Ilse
Nobody reads bedtime stories this good other than Hugh Laurie. Ok, maybe also Stephen Fry.
Mariah Roze
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an extremely cute book. I read this book as an adult, for me, by me, with no one else. As an adult I forget how fun it is to read children's chapter books. It brings back memories of when I was in elementary school. Roald Dahl was my favorite author and Matilda was my favorite book of all time in elementary school. My new goal is read every book by him!

I suggest this book to anyone that wants a quick, fun read :)
Tanja
Jan 27, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021
Cute and sweet story aimed at very young children. It would make a great bedtime story.
Rebecca Crunden
❧ audiobook review

This is one Roald Dahl book I'd actually never heard of! I'm surprised, because it was written in 1985, but somehow it slipped past me until today. I didn't love it as much as Matilda, The Witches and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but it's very cute in its own right! The audio book is narrated by Hugh Laurie, which I thoroughly recommend. He sings!

Also, the list of sweets at the end is an absolute delight! You can tell Dahl loves sweets, haha. Apparently he published a
Molly Porter
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a short book where Billy finds a ladderless window cleaning shop that has a giraffe, a pelican, and a monkey who clean your windows.
Joel
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd never heard of this one before I found it in a stoop giveaway. Nice readaloud with lots of illustrations in my edition. ...more
Sandra
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 - 4 stars
Gerardine  Betancourt
I always need a dose of road dahl books at least once a month.
Victor The Reader
TGATPAE is probably Dahl’s most sweetest and simplest story I’ve read so far in his catalogue. It centers on a little boy who dreams of owning his own candy store 🍭 🍬. When he finds an abandoned building, he meets an eccentric group of window washers consisting of a giraffe, pelican and a monkey giraffe 🦒 🐦 🐒 and together help the boy’s dream come true. It’s not complex or peculiar like many of Dahl’s other children’s books, but has a nice gentler tone and story that no fan of Roald Dahl should ...more
Karla
Feb 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three entrepreneurial critters team up with a sweet-tooth little boy to wash windows and happen to bust a criminal in the middle of a burglary. Typical Roald Dahl daftery.

The story itself was 3 stars, but Hugh Laurie's narration made it extra fun. There's something about his voice that is perfectly suited to Dahl's nonsense candy names.
Haneen Najeh
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
A wonderful story, it reminded me of a movie which called "Pai" which i watched once.
it was the first experiance with Roald Dahl but definatly it won't be the last

i enjoyed it :)
Jerry
Mar 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute and amusing, with lively illustrations.
Tres Trece
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"No book never ends
When it's full of your friends"
Sagheer Chaudhry
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roald Dahl’s ‘The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me’ tells the story of a young boy named Billy and his dream to transform an old empty wooden house into a sweet shop that would consist of Sherbet Suckers, Caramel Fudge, Russian Toffee, Sugar Snorters and Butter Gumballs along with many many more different sweets. One day Billy, visited the shop and out of the corner of his eye Billy noticed one of the windows open and out of it appeared a Giraffe. Then a second and third window opened and out them a ...more
Musa Aamir
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finished it in two days. It was a sad book and a nice book. I love it 😊💓💕
PurplyCookie
Apr 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Have you read this delightful story of the Ladderless Window-Cleaning Company? If you haven't, then better snap up this book; so for only a few precious minutes, you can pretend that everything in the world isn't as awful as it seems.

When Billy joins the Ladderless Window-Cleaning Company, he gets a lot more than a new job. First he makes three new friends, then it's time to get to work cleaning all 677 windows of the Duke of Hampshire's house. The Duke is not only the most wealthy man in the co
Dean Barber
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me' by Roald Dahl tells the tale of a young boy named Billy who, whilst staring at a derelict sweet shop dreams that one day he will own his own which would be 'loaded from top to bottom with Sherbet Suckers, and Caramel Fudge and Russian Toffee and Sugar Snorters and Butter Gumballs and thousands and thousands of other glorious things like that'.

One day he finds that the derelict shop has some new residents by the way of a giraffe, pelican and monkey who just so
Gary
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Billy, a young boy, comes across an old sweet shop which he dreams about renovating. Peering out the windows he finds a giraffe, pelican and monkey. Who are they, Billy wonders?! They are the world’s best window cleaning company of course! After working for the richest man in England, all of the members of the window cleaning company are rewarded individually; Billy’s reward is the purchase of the sweet shop he so long desired.

Throughout their short adventure the characters sing short, catchy so
Prashant
Another short, well illustrated book by Roald Dahl. It's about a kid who after seeing an old closed sweet shop in his neighborhood gets the desire to own it and convert it into the most beautiful sweet shop of his own. One day when he finds out that the house has been bought by a giraffe, a pelican and a monkey , he meets them and they become instant friends. The story goes about how they get to meet a duke and how the boy finally fulfills him dream.

The book is written as if it were a poem. The
2019 Roe Reading ...: The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me 2 2 Oct 11, 2020 01:28PM
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Zelie's Book Review 2 1 3 Aug 29, 2014 05:18AM

• Fantastic Mr Fox
  • Danny the Champion of the World: Plays for Children
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
  • Boy
  • The Magic Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #2)
  • The Enchanted Wood (The Faraway Tree, #1)
  • The Boy in the Dress
  • George's Marvelous Medicine
  • Mr Stink
  • Billionaire Boy
  • Theres A Pharaoh In Our Bath
  • The Folk of the Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #3)
  • The Monster Story-Teller
  • The Witches: Plays for Children
  • Mum's New Hat (Read At Home: More Level 1C)
  • Gangsta Granny
  • Mighty Minotaur (Rise of the Mythix #2)
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: A Play