Start by marking “Christmas Vows: $5.00 Extra” as Want to Read:
Christmas Vows: $5.00 Extra

Christmas Vows: $5.00 Extra

Lori Copeland, loved for her whimsical, folksy style, brings readers a feel-good Christmas story. A young widower with three needy children is snowed in at Henrietta Humblesmith's marrying parlor for the holidays. He has no idea what a special Christmas awaits him. Readers will enjoy Lori's trademark humor and warmth.
Published October 1st 2001 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published September 17th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Christmas Vows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas Vows

Start your review of Christmas Vows: $5.00 Extra
Loraine
If in this busy Christmas season, you only have time for a novella, this is the perfect Christmas read. A newly released convict and new Christian father with 3 little children has lost his wife, and now his car has broken down in the middle of a Missouri snowstorm. The nearest house belongs to Henrietta Humblesmith, and on her porch is a sign that reads Christmas Vows: $5.00 Extra.

Filled with the love, sweetness, and comfort of Christmas this is a short read that will leave you feeling the
Rebekah Morris
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas
I'm always a bit hesitant when I pick up a book by an author I've never read. Will I like it?
It didn't take me long to be drawn into the story, to feel for Ben and his children. And Henrietta? Oh, Henrietta! What are you doing running a "Marrying Parlor"? The rest of the characters were quite something and added to this story.
I smiled, I wanted to help, and yes, I had tears come to my eyes when Jody told her daddy the message her Mommy had said.
The fact that there was zero romance was a
R.A.
Aw! I loved this!

I absolutely loved the characters, even crusty, old Henrietta! (She cracks me up!) Ben and his kids great! Even though Ben just came out of jail, I really liked him, especially since he got saved after his time in prison! His kids were adorable!

Henrietta's job marrying couples is hilarious, even if it wasn't right!

I really loved the Christmas-feel to this book! I'm totally going to re-read this one sometime! And I love how there's two recipes in the back of the book - eggnog and
I really enjoyed this story. It is a feel good Christmas story without romance, or really anything that is normal in a Christmas story. It is a sweet reminder of the season, redemption, and second chances.
Colleen Mertens
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
For a little, light, eccentric Christmas fun, this is your book. The main family learns about what matters at Christmas through an interesting character who runs a wedding chapel. The townspeople amuse you because they could be someone you know. The love and kindness shown by people lifts your spirit as you have your own holiday. Nice seasonal read.
Olivia
Ah it's so satisfying finishing a Christmas story on Christmas! This story is simple, yet sweet and happy. I loved seeing how Brian was faced with conundrums at Christmas and how the Lord worked them out ...more
Melanie
A story about a father who after making mistakes in life wants to provide a nice Christmas for his children.
Little Red Readinghood
There is a very odd ending which I don't understand. Basic story man has tragic life gets out of prison and with the support of strangers (and God) has a Merry Christmas.
Elizabeth Meadows
Now this is my idea of a good Christmas story. So delightful and endearing!
Carolyn Vandine West
It has been several years since I read this short book, but it was a good one. If you are looking for a Christmas read pick this one up you won’t be sorry.
Cindy
Dec 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas
A recently widowed father of three very young children, traveling in an old run-down car to Grandma's to start a new life, meets good-willed people in this heart-warming story.
A. Harrison
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review to come in December.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Dec 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas
In rough times, what can be done? Ben O'Keefe prays the car will survive the trip to his mother's home so he and his three children can celebrate Christmas. Unfortunately, the car's transmission doesn't hold and he must find a garage. He can only hope that the small town of Popular Bluff will be able to repair his car in time for Christmas.

I was expecting a historical story, so it was rather unexpected to read a modern holiday tale. It's a quick read for Christmas with unique characters and a
Judy
Nov 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Christmas Love Captured Perfectly!

This book was so touching. This is what Christmas is all about. Taking a single Dad and creating a Christmas not only for him to remember but his children too. Tissues are needed!

Author Lori Copeland hit a home run with this heartwarming story. I will be filled with the lasting memories of this book through this Christmas season. This a a story you will want to read over and over.

When life seems hopeless and when we feel lost we only need to remember that help
Susan
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was VERY touched by this book. I cried, literally cried, through most of this book. The despair the father was feeling was so well described. The things running through his head, the love of his children. His love and faith in God were so sweet and touching. The way the story came together just really got to me.

If you're a mom, grab some Kleenex before you start this one.
Theresa
Dec 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
This is an easy read about the true joy of Christmas. A desperate father stranded with three young children a few days before Christmmas and how their needs are met through the unexpected gifts of strangers in a small town.
Valerie
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
a sweet short story that gets you into the Christmas spirit. Reminds you Christmas is not about the presents or material things...it's about love, friends and family...and most importantly the birth of a wonderful Savior. Would love to share book with anyone interested.
Michelle
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
A really good hearted book. Small so its a quick read but a lovely story for the whole family.
Its full of honesty and warmth and hope. I think thats the main tag line throughout the book. Hope.
And I just love to read it over Christmas.
Ngdecker
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
I loved this novella, although I prefer longer books. The characters were no at all "perfect" and were very down-to-earth. The story was heart-warming. I definitely recommend it!
Jill
Dec 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Good story about one eof the true meanings of Christmas. Enjoyed it for the holiday season.
Cindy
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
good Christmas story.
Melissa
Sep 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Uplifting short story. Cute tale for the Christmas season, available on KU.
Dec 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
SIMPLE, PREDICTABLE
Kim
Jan 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was a good story to remind one of hard times in our world, the gift of kind and generous people, and hope.
Christian Tuininga
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Cute little hundred pager.
Jennifer Morefield
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a really cute uplifting Christmas story. I really enjoyed it and paid .99 for it. Well worth it.
Mary
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
ex convict cares for his 3 young children; car breaks down so spend Xmas at marrying parlor;

good spiritual message
Lisa
Dec 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a nice heart warming Christmas story. Took me only a couple hours to read. If you want a quick holiday book that will leave you feeling happy, then this is the book for you.
Vicki
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christmas Vows

I loved the story. It's a fast read and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes a good clean Christmas story, with a happy ending.
Lindsay Dalton
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book, that truly represents the spirit of Christmas as total strangers come together to make one family's Christmas wishes come true.

• A Christmas by the Sea
  • The Bright Unknown
  • What Laurel Sees
  • Claiming the Maverick's Heart
  • The Heart of Christmas
  • Strands of Truth
  • A Quilt for Christmas
  • Christmas Day in the Morning
  • Hallowe'en Party (Hercule Poirot, #39)
  • The Christmas Boutique (Elm Creek Quilts #21)
  • Perfectly Dateless (Universally Misunderstood, #1)
  • Christmas in Winter Hill
  • The Mistletoe Promise
  • Before and After: The Incredible Real-Life Stories of Orphans Who Survived the Tennessee Children's Home Society
  • Sword of Kings (The Saxon Stories, #12)
  • The Quintland Sisters
  • Taft
  • One Final Breath (Dive Team Investigations, #3)
Lori Copeland was born on 12 June 1941. She had a relatively late start in writing, breaking into publishing in 1982 when she was already forty years old. Over the next dozen years, her romance novels achieved much success, as was evidenced by her winning the Romantic Times Reviewer's Choice Award, The Holt Medallion, and Walden Books' Best Seller award. She has been inducted into the Missouri ...more
“we won't borrow trouble—not when we have enough to see us through the day.” 0 likes