Start by marking “Whistle Me Home” as Want to Read:
Whistle Me Home

Whistle Me Home

Seventeen-year-old Noli feels as if she has found her soul mate when handsome, sensitive TJ moves to Sag Harbor, but even as their feelings deepen, individual secrets threaten their relationship.
Published March 15th 1997 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Whistle Me Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whistle Me Home

Arminzerella
Gary Lee
Sep 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: baby-talk, gayish-lit
At times, compelling; at times, maddeningly cliché.
But always completely emo.

It's the story of an unstable alchoholic seventeen-year-old girl who falls in love with a boy who doesn't really like girls. Y'know...in that way.
I've never been an alchoholic seventeen-year-old girl ("unstable" can be argued, I guess), but I have been on the other side of the equation before. It ain't fun. But it isn't quite as torturous as Wersba makes it out to be.

Wersba can seem like little more than the poor woman'
Hannah Wallace
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sis-gee-bks-1-12
Noli Brown is struggling with high school and home life. As she start to fall in love with TJ Barker her world begins to change. However, when their romance falls apart, TJ tells Noli that he is gay. Hurt and upset, and feeling like she has been used Noli starts a new transformation. She starts to change and become a new person and in the end, she must confront TJ.

I have mixed feelings about this book. I don't dislike it but at the same time I don't like it. I sympathize with the protagonist Nol
Heather Reese
In this book a young girl, Noli, meets a new boy at school and they become the best of friends. As they get to know each other’s tough home circumstances and secrets it becomes an emotional rollercoaster. This books makes you question how important friendship and love is and explore the difference between the two. It is a great romance with great twists that push the reader to question what they would do if they were in Noli’s shoes.
As I fished the book I hated it because of the surprises and t
ACS Librarian
Everything is mystical and beautiful and sad. TJ is mystical and beautiful. He 19s a high school senior with long curly hair, the body of a god, a hoop earring, and he loves the poetry of Gerard Marley Hopkins. And Noli loves TJ. But she can 19t be his lover. Why oh Why?

TJ has demons, that 19s why. Raging lyrical demons. Every other sentence is lyrical, or straining to be. 1CShe wakes up weeping. 1D That 19s from page 44, almost halfway.

Bottom line: I read to the end even though the tone of th
Int'l librarian
Everything is mystical and beautiful and sad. TJ is mystical and beautiful. He’s a high school senior with long curly hair, the body of a god, a hoop earring, and he loves the poetry of Gerard Marley Hopkins. And Noli loves TJ. But she can’t be his lover. Why oh Why?

TJ has demons, that’s why. Raging lyrical demons. Every other sentence is lyrical, or straining to be. “She wakes up weeping.” That’s from page 44, almost halfway.

Bottom line: I read to the end even though the tone of the entire no
erica
Feb 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer
I read this book yesterday morning. We had yet another snow day and I took advantage of the time off and ripped through my books.

"Whistle Me Home" made my cry. And, seriously, I rarely cry over books. The novel is so breathtakingly beautiful.

It really struck a personal chord with me. Well, I guess it would with everone; who hasn't suffered from unrequited love? I think we've all been both Noli and TJ, on both sides of the story.

Librariann
Jan 13, 2013 added it
Shelves: 2003
Noli meets TJ when he moves to her town at the beginning of their senior year. Almost immediately, the two are inseparable - soulmates, Noli feels. But gorgeous TJ hides a secret...and when their relationship doesn't progress the way Noli thinks it should, she starts to worry. When she finds out TJ is gay, her life shatters. Drinking, something she had used previously to escape from her mother, becomes her sole way of coping.
Lala
This is my favorite Barbara Wersba book! It is heartbreakingly beautiful and gives real nuanced consideration to intimate relationships between two people when one is experiencing a shift in their sexual orientation.
Maggie
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
so short you can read it two hours. it was real shocking when i found out about tj but still its a good read.
Pat
May 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Teen title banned in Carroll County.
Girl dates boy, turns out he is gay.
Long Island.
Good.
Christy
Oct 07, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a good book. It was really sad that Noli feel in love with a guy who she later finds out was gay.
Coribbia
Jan 18, 2008
Michele
May 27, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Barbara Wersba was born in Chicago, moved to California, and then to New York City. She attended Bard College, and after graduating returned to Greenwich Village to study acting with Paul Mann. She received an honorary doctorate from Bard. In 1994, Wersba founded The Bookman Press, a small-press publishing company. She lives in Sag Harbor, New York.