Start by marking “Christmas Day in the Morning” as Want to Read:
Christmas Day in the Morning

Christmas Day in the Morning

From Pulitzer and Nobel Prize-winning author Pearl S. Buck and acclaimed artist Mark Buehner comes a heartwarming story that illustrates the true meaning of Christmas.

Rob wants to get his father something special for Christmas this year—something that shows how much he really loves him. But it's Christmas Eve, and he doesn't have much money to spend. What could he possibly
Published October 1st 2002 by HarperCollins (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Christmas Day in the Morning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas Day in the Morning

Start your review of Christmas Day in the Morning
Sheri
A gift from the heart is the best gift to give and to receive. A lovely, heartwarming read that reminds you of the true spirit of the season. 💖
Kimberly
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have to give a quick back story on how a 40-something yr old got this book from the library for herself. I have been using Goodreads on my iPhone for a few months now but still am having a hard time seeing all the content features it has to offer. I was skimming the "currently reading" section of one of the reading groups I belong to when someone mentioned "Christmas Day in the Morning" by Pearl Buck being one of their favorite holiday books. I love holiday books for getting me in the spirit ( ...more
Brennan
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This has become my favorite book to read each Christmas. It is a beautifully written book - a rich and thoughtful exploration how a boy learns that a thoughtful and unexpected expression of love is the best and most lasting gift we can give. I can't make it through reading it to my kids without crying. This is a book to own and read to your family each Christmas.
Christine
Nov 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Christine by: Goodreads
4.5 rounded to 5 stars

Christmas Day in the Morning is a beautifully written and illustrated poignant celebration of the true meaning of Christmas. I so wish we could go to back to those times. The times when there were no Black Friday free-for-alls and where people did not dread Christmas Day because of the frenzied stressful weeks spent preparing for it. It makes me sad to think about how such a true holiday treasure has evolved into something else entirely. If you would like to experience what
Kelli
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a special book. I picked this up in the library because I just happened to see it and my three year old loves Christmas books. I did not notice it was written by Pearl S. Buck. What a wonderful story. It was so sweet that I read this book through tears. I will buy this one. And I am sorry to say I have not read anything else by Pearl S. Buck, but I certainly will now.
Kellyn Roth
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really sweet story. I want to do something like this for my parents someday ... but we don't have any cows! ;)
Shiloah
This is a classic Christmas story. When I read it to my kids tonight I remembered it so well. I was read this story as a child. 🌟
Sassa
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sweet Christmas story.
Quote: “He had been fortunate that she had loved him—and how fortunate that he had been able to love. Ah, that was the true joy of life, the ability to love! He was quite sure that some people were genuinely unable to love anyone, but love was alive in him, it still was.
It occurred to him suddenly that it was alive because long ago it had been born in him when he knew his father loved him. That was it: love alone could awaken love.”

Love alone could awaken love!

(Again, a li
Nhi Nguyễn
What a meaningful Christmas story about the art of gift giving and what makes a great gift to someone you love. The only thing keeping me from giving it 5 stars is that it's too short. I want to explore more of this theme and also the Christmas spirit reflected in our act of giving gifts to other people.
Srividya
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
A wonderful short story that shows how love is truly the best gift that you can give your loved ones.

The story is about a boy, who even after becoming a man, remembers a Christmas when he truly realised the meaning of loving and how it was the perfect gift for his father.

Love does not need any money or even effort, it just is and when it is, I guess it is easy to express. For most of us cynics out there, this is truly a lesson in loving and being loved.

"Love alone can awaken love" -I don't thi
Judy
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is definitely not your typical picture book for kids. It's more like a short story with appeal for all ages. The artist was the perfect choice for capturing the spirit of the story. Here, Ms Buck gently and engagingly, shows the reader the essence of a true gift.

A must have for anyone who enjoys Christmas tales.
Alissa
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, holiday
I have been familiar with this story since I was a child but had no idea that Pearl S. Buck had written it. It is a beautiful story of love and service--one that is definitely a classic.
Mary Lou
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pearl Buck wrote a timeless tale of a young boy's gift of love to his father. It is a simple story with deep meaning that brings forth the goodness that Christmas should be in all of our hearts. And the illustrations in this edition by Mark Buehner are exquisite, and bring the story even more to life. I highly recommend this book to children of all ages, from newborn to nearly done. In fact, go find a child today and read this with them.
Jill
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Krista
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A cute story of a boy that wants to give his father a Christmas gift but doesn't have a lot of money. So he gives his father a gift that is the best kind of gift, service! My kids and I enjoyed this book. I mostly loved the illustrations!
Angie
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have heard this story countless times, but it wasn’t until now that I learned it was originally written by Buck. I have always loved it, and tonight, I loved sharing it with my children. It so heartwarmingly captures the spirit of giving that I want them to learn. Love, love, love this story!
Rebecca
Dec 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, art, holiday
I've long loved this story (never realizing it was by Pearl Buck). The artwork in this version is gentle and sweet.
Loraine
Pearl Buck is famous for her wonderful adult books and has won numerous prizes including a Pulitzer and Noble. This simple, beautifully illustrated children's tale share a heartwarming gift of Christmas love telling how it is better to give than to receive. This would be a perfect book to read to children every Christmas season to help them understand the true spirit of the Christmas season is showing love.
Ann
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very nice story.
Leigh Van
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great story that emphasizes giving to those who always give to you rather than receiving.
Melissa
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the most touching stories I have ever read about giving and the true meaning of Christmas. A must read for children and adults.
Staciel
Update: I have decided to add this one to our 'family Christmas fave' list after hearing my husband talk about it-- he picked it up a few days ago and agreed that it was a lovely message and that he also wished that my kids would pick this one during the holiday season.. Fingers crossed that they will in the future!

I wish that I could also tag this book as a 'family Christmas fave', as it certainly is one of mine, but the message has unfortunately fallen flat on my children. (which explains a fe
Shuvro Das
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After I finished this tiny story, I did not want to review it, rather re-read it. The way Pearl S. Buck has penned the true spirit of christmas is purely beyond any ordinariness. The best story so far about christmas I have ever read. Since I have read a book after so many days, it was a good starter for me. The gift Rob gives to his father and the pleasure he gets by doing that-I can hardly even imagine that. Throughout his gift, he discovers the true way of humanity, compassion and love-in a w ...more
Molly
Dec 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
We just reread this for the first time in years. I loved it even more. Such a sweet story and you can't beat Mark Buehner's beautiful illustrations! Loved it!
Kathryn
A true classic story with the best illustrations....
Robin_R
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A favorite book by a favorite author. Please visit my blog to read my review of this book. http://afondnessforreading.wordpress.... ...more
Judy
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lovely story complete with illustrations. Children's book that can be enjoyed by all ages.
Sharon
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A must-read Christmas classic for all.
Lucinda
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-my-kids
I've read this several times to my 2 youngest because it teaches the principles of finding joy in the mundane and serving within the family.
Jenn
Love this beautiful Christmas book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Story of Holly and Ivy
  • Apple Tree Christmas
  • Mortimer's Christmas Manger
  • Bear Stays Up for Christmas
  • Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?
  • An Orange for Frankie
  • Christmas In The Country
  • Roxaboxen
  • Bink & Gollie: Best Friends Forever
  • The Story About Ping
Pearl Sydenstricker Buck was a bestselling and Nobel Prize–winning author. Her classic novel The Good Earth (1931) was awarded a Pulitzer Prize and William Dean Howells Medal. Born in Hillsboro, West Virginia, Buck was the daughter of missionaries and spent much of the first half of her life in China, where many of her books are set. In 1934, civil unrest in China forced Buck back to the United St ...more

News & Interviews