Start by marking “Faceless Killers (Kurt Wallander, #1)” as Want to Read:
Faceless Killers (Kurt Wallander, #1)

Faceless Killers

(Kurt Wallander #1)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  58,073 ratings  ·  2,996 reviews
It was a senselessly violent crime: on a cold night in a remote Swedish farmhouse an elderly farmer is bludgeoned to death, and his wife is left to die with a noose around her neck. And as if this didn’t present enough problems for the Ystad police Inspector Kurt Wallander, the dying woman’s last word is foreign, leaving the police the one tangible clue they have–and in th ...more
Published January 14th 2003 by Vintage Crime/Black Lizard (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Faceless Killers, please sign up.
Peggy Theriault Really liked this. Great characters. I’ve ordered 6 more of his books.
Ruthanne Davis Compared to the average American murder mysteries of today, there doesn’t seem to be as much gore or gore just for the sake of shock. The country, the…moreCompared to the average American murder mysteries of today, there doesn’t seem to be as much gore or gore just for the sake of shock. The country, the weather are typically gloomy and cold for that country in the far northern hemisphere. I hope you’ll try one and hope you’ll enjoy it.(less)

·  58,073 ratings  ·  2,996 reviews

Kemper
Sep 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
During one of my periodic efforts to prove to myself that I'm not one of The Great Unwashed, I watched PBS's Masterpiece Mystery series featuring the Swedish detective Kurt Wallander as played by Kenneth Branagh. (Yes, it had English actors playing Swedes and was filmed in Sweden. Just go with it.) I liked it quite a bit and since I also loved the The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, I decided to read some more about these murderous Swedes. And now I'm really hooked.

Written in 1990, this book introd
Lyn
Feb 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Dark, brooding and earthy – like a good Swedish crime mystery should be.

Writer Henning Mankell first published Faceless Killers in 1991 and an English edition, translated by Steven T. Murray, was published in 1997. Besides being a good book, this is notable as Mankell’s introduction of his famous detective Kurt Wallander.

Set in the small city of Ystad, in the southern most tip of Sweden, and farther removed from larger cities like Malmo or Stockholm, Mankell has given this mystery a sort of smal
Tea Jovanović
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sjajan švedski autor, najpre ga je objavljivala Narodna knjiga a sada Čarobna knjiga... Da ne govorimo o Kenetu Brani koji je presonalizovao britansku verziju serijala o inspektoru Valanderu... :) Za ljubitelje dobrih krimića... I da malo upoznate i Švedsku... :)
Dan Schwent
An elderly couple is robbed and brutally murdered and it's up to police inspector Kurt Wallander to find the killer or killers. Can Kurt act on the meager information he has available and solve the case as his private life disintegrates around him?

On the heels of reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played with Fire, I decided to branch out and try a couple more Swedish crime authors. Faceless Killers is the first such book to fall into my hands.

Faceless Killers isn't a happy
Peter Fogtdal
Oct 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
Henning Mankell might be the most famous Scandinavian writer of crime novels in the US. May I humbly ask why? I can think of at least three Swedes and two Danes who are far, far superior. And let's not forget the Norwegians. Read Frederik Skagen for Christ's sake. I'm not sure he's been translated but he's brillant when it comes to the twisted mind of killers and rapists.

Actually, I don't like being hard on writer colleagues, but this book is simply not very good. The prose is flat, only two of
notgettingenough
Sep 29, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: crime-fiction
Ugh.

Maybe this book is dreadfully translated...or maybe it's like Ikea furniture. Mostly you end up with a bunch of bits that don't make sense. It's a popular theory in Australia that Ikea furniture is some sort of revenge upon people who live in sunlight. Maybe Henning Mankell is a plot to get the people who escaped the Ikea trap.

We all over here prefer more Abba and less bad furniture and miserable books please.
Lynne King
There's something about Swedish authors that both fascinates me and tugs at my heartstrings. Henning Mankell does indeed do that for me with his Inspector Kurt Wallander.

The air of suspense begins with the words:

“He has forgotten something, he knows that for sure when he wakes up. Something he dreamt during the night. Something he ought to remember. He tries to remember. But sleep is like a black hole. A well that reveals nothing of its contents.”

And this same suspense kept me utterly enthralled
James Thane
Apr 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
This is the first entry in Henning Mankell's series featuring Swedish detective Kurt Wallander. When we first meet him, Wallander has a boatload of personal problems: he is recently divorced; he's estranged from his daughter; he's drinking too much; he has a lousy diet, and his father is showing signs of senility.

Against the backdrop of this troubled personal life, Wallandar is assigned to lead the investigation of the savage murder or an elderly farm couple. There is no apparent motive and ther
Tim
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Hoped this would be better. 5 of 10 stars
K.D. Absolutely
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (2006-2012)
One of those books that I thought I would not like but ended up really liking.

I am not really a big fan of mystery whodunnit books but this one really hooked me from start to finish. The plot is not really focused on who the killer is but on the main protagonist and his life: aging, just divorced, daughter's not communicating to him, father's getting senile, getting fat, postponing his diet, drinking and driving and all of the other matters that make him human and vulnerable. Of course, you'd l
Rachel Hall
Faceless Killers marked the debut appearance of the dyspeptic Ystad detective, Kurt Wallander, and although the Swedish language version was written in 1991, the English translation did not follow until 1997. Given that my previous meeting with Wallander came in the form of the final novella of the series, I am struck by how much more gloomy and self-pitying the character seems to be in this first case, noticeably disposed to wallowing. From his early days as a new recruit in Malmö through to tw ...more
فهد الفهد
قاتل بلا وجه

القراءة في السفر قراءة مشتتة، تقرأ صفحات قليلة ومن ثم تسقط نائماً في الطائرة، أو تنهض لتواصل المسير في شوارع ضيقة لمدينة قديمة، أو ربما تحاول اللحاق بقطار يفترض به أن يأخذك إلى قلعة تفوح برائحة الأسرى والدماء، فلذا يبدو الكتاب – أي كتاب – متشظياً في السفر، مظلوماً بكل هذه القراءة المتقطعة، فلذا جنحت في السنوات الأخيرة إلى الروايات البوليسية، فطبيعة هذا النوع وسرعة الاندماج فيه عندما يكون مكتوباً بشكل جيد تناسب السفر وظروفه أكثر.

أخذت هذه الرواية معي في رحلة قصيرة إلى برشلونة، وفرغت
Ben Loory
Jan 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
it was 15 pages before the end before anyone in the police department thought to follow the most obvious trail. i mean i'm not even trying to solve the case, i'm just lying in bed sick, idly flipping 250 pages, but i'm ahead of these people? pretty sad. in the meantime there's no suspense, the characters are dull, and the scenes are boring and poorly written. nice title, though, i suppose... can't imagine reading more of these...
Carolyn
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although familiar with Swedish detective Kurt Wallender from the popular BBC series, this is the first of Henning Mankell's books that I have read. And what an excellent read it was. Mankell writes in a very spare, no-frills way to tell a story that is clear and absorbing.
Wallender is a man whose life is in a mess; his wife has left him, his daughter is estranged, his father is becoming senile and Wallender himself is lonely, drinking to much and eating badly. However he is always focused on th
Brad
Mar 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, swedish-lit
I remember a discussion I had years ago with a friend of mine about Jonathon Demme's film version of The Silence of the Lambs. We were both annoyed by the pacing of the film and joked that it was really the story of an FBI agent driving her car, with some dialogue thrown in to liven things up.

I felt a bit that way reading Faceless Killers, the first Wallander book by Henning Mankell. I don't know if it was only this first Wallander mystery (it's the first I've read too) or if it is a common them
Mara
“To grow old is to live in fear. The dread of something menacing that you felt when you were a child returns when you get old.”
The first episode of a sitcom is usually a bit clunky. The joke to exposition ratio is low, and you’ve got all these new people to meet. While Henning Mankell’s Kurt Wallander series is by no stretch of the imagination a “situational comedy,” I tried to give its first volume the same benefit of the doubt.

When our depressed, middle-aged police detective/protagoni
gwayle
Aug 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
Do these get better? I flew through this first in the Kurt Wallander series, but the writing was squarely in the spectrum of unremarkable to outright you've-got-to-be-kidding-me. The police officers are barely differentiated (Wallander himself is the only one with any character traits to speak of, and he comes across as kind of a schmuck), and the book cries out for description and emotion. Not really psychological and only half-heartedly political, this novel strikes me as gratuitous and forget ...more
AC
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
I ran across a reference to Mankell from someone on GR who said that crime-writing afficionados really like him.... but then, when I read some of the other GR reviews, I nearly tossed this one in the bucket. I'm glad I didn't! This is a first-rate -- a REALLY first-rate piece of genre writing.

It's 4.5 stars (maybe 4.75) -- and that because I'm getting more conservative in my old age... but its 4.5 from the five-side, not from the 4+ side...

Wallander is a tough, realistic, angst-ridden policeman
Harry
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Book Review

Faceless Killers, a 1991 novel and the first in the Kurt Wallander series, delves right into Mankell's favorite pet peeve: the changing political and social landscape of Sweden and in particular the influx of immigration and asylum seekers allowed into Sweden seemingly without barriers.

The plot arises like a Phoenix from this backdrop of which Mankell is a crucial source both personally and professionally as enlightening the world to such problems. It is no mistake that it is a Somali
Idarah
Apr 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2014
An avid fan of police procedural books and television shows, it was not shocking that I fell in love with BBC's Wallander series, starring Kenneth Branagh. Like the Inspector Lynley series, the hauntingly peaceful country settings play as key a role as do the main characters.

In a lonely Swedish farming community, an elderly couple are bludgeoned to death in their home early one January morning. Wallander, acting as temporary head of the department while his superior is on vacation, is thoroughl
LJ
FACELESS KILLERS (Swedish Police Procedural)- G+
Henning Mankell – 1st in series
Vintage Crime/Black Lizard. English Translation, 2003 – Trade Paperback
Police Inspector Kurt Wallander is called to the scene of a particularly violent attack of an elderly couple on a small farm. The husband is dead but the wife, found with a noose around her neck, utters the work “foreign” before dying. Wallander becomes obsessed with solving the case before feelings against Sweden’s immigrants becomes violent.
*** A
Ana
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Um excelente policial que divide o foco entre a clássica investigação de homicídios e a construção de personagens, em particular o protagonista Kurt Wallander. Gostei bastante do ritmo da narrativa por me parecer bastante realista, intercalando momentos de avanço rápido, centrados na investigação, com outros mais pausados, quando a investigação emperra ou a narrativa se centra sobre a pessoa do protagonista. Também gostei do personagem Wallander, absolutamente humano e trivial no que toca às sua ...more
Tony
Mar 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Mankell, Henning. FACELESS KILLERS. (1991). *****. An old farm couple living on the outskirts of Ystad are discovered in their house by their neighbors. The old man is dead – savagely beaten to death. His wife, also beaten, and with a noose around her neck, is close to death. When Kurt Wallander and his crew arrive they are appalled at the violence and bloodshed. The woman is rushed to the hospital, but cannot be safed. Just before she dies, she whispers the word “foreigner” over and over. Since ...more
Angela
Nov 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My initial reaction to this book “Faceless Killers” was “Poor Kurt Wallander”!
Our introduction to the character of Inspector Wallander by Henning Mankell, was certainly unusual . As the hero of many detective novels after this story, he cuts a sorry figure - and yet, a realistic one. At the beginning of the novel, we quickly discover that Wallander’s marriage has finished, his daughter doesn’t want to have much to do with him and his father doesn’t appear to like him much either! However, despi
Owlseyes on notre dame, it's so strange a 15-hour blaze and...

“…the only thing I was afraid of was getting old and turning around and seeing that I had botched my life. But I’m happy with the life that has been”.

This past summer I've read three books of Mankell; this being the latest I've read;--- and then this:

Sad; let's preserve the memory of the master of the Scandinavian noir.

Wallander lives on.
Lewis Weinstein
Dec 26, 2011 rated it liked it
This is my first Mankell. I thoroughly enjoyed the tension and the investigation details and frustration. The unfamiliar (to me) setting and political environment added to the interest.

Then I think it drifted away at the end. The resolution did not rise to the level of what came before. However, it was certainly good enough to add the next Wallander adventure to my list.
Nigel
Mar 08, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No-one
Very bad book. Got sick of it after about 50 pages, kept going till 100 pages (my rule), then thought, well I might as well get credit for finishing it, so slogged it out.
I had read another book by this author (The Man from Beijing), which was also terrible, but gave him the benefit of the doubt. The other book wasn't from this series, which is famous with its detective Kurt Wallander, inspiring a TV series etc. So, I thought, I will give the author another chance with the first Wallander myster
Gearóid
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book.
Wallender is a really great character.
He is a flawed character,makes lots of mistakes.
He sticks at things though and finally gets there.
Really interesting to read as well as the crime story
you get involved in Wallenders personal life and he
comes across as a normal human being who just happens
to be a detective.
Very good and will read the rest of the series.
Patrick Sherriff
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-and-such
I enjoyed this, if "enjoy" is the right word to describe the first outing for the middle-aged, depressed Swedish detective Wallander. It was comparatively slow-paced, and had buckets full of the Weltschmerz that perhaps marks Scandinavian noir as a thing. I'm not sure, I haven't read enough of the genre to say with any certainty, but the idealistic-turned-cynical cop was handled very well and you can see that there's plenty of inherent conflict baked in to the characters to make this an interest ...more
Reading 1001: Faceless Killers - Henning Mankell 10 23 Mar 02, 2018 02:23PM
Henning Mankell is no more :-( 3 80 Feb 14, 2017 09:02AM
Play Book Tag: Faceless Killers by Henning Mankell- 3 stars 8 25 Jan 09, 2017 10:49AM
Play Book Tag: Faceless Killers by Henning Mankell 2 16 Sep 28, 2016 04:24PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Faceless Killers by Henning Mankell 3 21 Sep 04, 2015 12:04PM
Pulp Fiction: November 2014 - Faceless Killers 15 64 Dec 07, 2014 05:44AM
  • The Laughing Policeman (Martin Beck, #4)
  • Voices (Inspector Erlendur #5)
  • The Return (Inspector Van Veeteren #3)
  • The Shadow Woman (Inspector Winter #2)
  • He Who Fears the Wolf (Konrad Sejer, #3)
  • The Cruel Stars of the Night
Henning Mankell was an internationally known Swedish crime writer, children's author and playwright. He was best known for his literary character Kurt Wallander.

Mankell split his time between Sweden and Mozambique. He was married to Eva Bergman, Swedish director and daughter of Ingmar Bergman.

Kurt Wallander (10 books)
  • The Dogs of Riga (Kurt Wallander, #2)
  • The White Lioness (Kurt Wallander, #3)
  • The Man Who Smiled (Kurt Wallander #4)
  • Sidetracked (Kurt Wallander, #5)
  • The Fifth Woman (Kurt Wallander, #6)
  • One Step Behind  (Kurt Wallander, #7)
  • Firewall (Kurt Wallander, #8)
  • The Pyramid: And Four Other Kurt Wallander Mysteries (Kurt Wallander, #9)
  • The Troubled Man (Kurt Wallander, #10)
“Every time Wallander stepped into someone's home, he felt as though he were looking at the front cover of a book that he had just bought” 11 likes
“Justice doesn't only mean that the people who commit crime are punished. It also means that we can never give up seeking the truth.” 10 likes