Start by marking “Kaleidoscope Eyes (Family Honor #2)” as Want to Read:
Kaleidoscope Eyes (Family Honor #2)

Kaleidoscope Eyes (Family Honor #2)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  218 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Wilderness and Weather Are Easily Overcome. But Betrayal?

Annie Justice sees things differently. Her unconventional condition, synesthesia, helped make her one of the most sought-after stained-glass artists in the country. And teamed with her German shepherd, she’s just as successful in her work with the K-9 Search and Rescue Team, finding people seemingly hidden from oth
Published April 5th 2006 by Multnomah (first published February 17th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Kaleidoscope Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kaleidoscope Eyes

Oceana
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own
I wish I liked this more. I found it so slow at most times. The building of the relationship was a good read but the rest felt like filler. I'm not a super fan of mystery either.
Kristin
Jun 23, 2014 rated it liked it
I find comfort in quotes. There’s often a lot of wisdom packed in a small number of words. It strikes me that they were the original tweet! (But somehow infinitely more fulfilling than today’s technology enhanced staccatos.) I used to think chapter quotes were a superfluous addition. I read quickly over them (or skipped them) to get to the ‘real stuff’. But, as I’ve gotten older, I love it when an author takes the time and care to highlight the tone and direction of a storyline with perfectly ma ...more
Leonca
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Very hard to rate this one. There are many interesting elements that give it texture, especially the exploration of synesthesia and the process in Search and Rescue. I’d never heard of the type of wilderness search training where the dog doesn’t focus on a specific person’s scent, so that was cool. The author’s portrayal of dog behavior is excellent, and shows close observation. The character’s relationships with God stay in strong focus throughout, and some of the family dynamic is entertaining ...more
Mellanie C
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed his book a lot. I'm fascinated by search and rescue stories, and the subplots with Annie's stained-glass window creations was interesting. Jed's mother and stepfather were a little too perfect, but I enjoyed the quotations exchanges between Jed and his mother. I am planning to order the next book in this series, about Annie's daughter.
Margaret
Jul 06, 2015 rated it liked it
While this was the second of the Family Honor Series, I did not know that when I picked it up. I could tell that there was a history between the characters, but not enough to keep me from keeping up the pace with the story.

This is the story of Annie Justice. Her passions are her art, her work her dog Kodi as a search and rescue team, her family, and her faith...not necessarily in that order. Her life is constantly affected by her condition known as synesthesia which allows her to see numbers and
Lisa
Apr 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is the first book by Karen Ball that I"ve read, but it won't be the last.

The book was fast-paced and heartwarming. Annie and Kodi were good together. Kodi is an awesome dog. The first sentence from the back cover blurb hooked me and I wanted to read on to find out what happened.

From the back cover-

Annie Justice has always been different, thanks to a rare condition allowing her to see things others do not. It's a blessing and a curse. The blessing? Annie and her dog, Kodi, have become one of
Margaret Chind
Dec 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: A "different" person who wants a good giggle and romantic mystery
This book was a really fabulous read! So much better than the first one, the first one was good, but just too much traumatic events for one book or one life for that matter for my taste. Annie, the main character is different, and through her life of loves and challenges a reader is really able to go on a great adventure. This book is about really love that makes you giggle and feel giddy. It is also about the important and serious jobs in the world that make a difference in other peoples lives. ...more
Nancy
I liked this 2nd book better than Dan's story.
Search and rescue dog stories are so interesting; Annie and Kodi make a great S and R team.
This reader also liked the bits about stained glass--though Annie's final product was too large and elaborate to be believed.
Annie's synesthesia was a definite plus to this story too.
The suspense was drawn out and kept me reading.
I have a few problems with believability eg. the romance, and shallowness..but overall this was a good read.
Since I now own the b
Jeni Enjaian
This was not the book I was expecting. I, unfortunately, had it confused with another book that I've read and enjoyed much more. (I would love to read that book again except for the fact that I can't remember the title.)
Just like the first book in this series, the characters are static, the plot line (though much more condensed...a small point in its favor) trite and cliché and the overall conclusion rushed and predictable from the outset of the book.
I think I'll skip the third book in the serie
Melissa
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
The characters are intriguing, and the author makes you care for and understand the not-so-heroic main male character. He changes throughout the story. The mystery in the story kept me guessing a bit, though it may not be Sherlock Holmes or Agatha Christie. Quite a bit of romance and lack of wisdom, but not written in a terribly harmful way, I suppose. I like that each chapter includes a Bible verse at the beginning, like all in this series.
Crystal
Aug 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
When I read this 2nd book in a three-book series, I was unaware I was not starting at the beginning. However, the story line, and even more the characters, kept me captivated. I then HAD to go get the remaining books and a few other books by the same author since I like her style so much. I was even impressed by the author's style in her posts at Amazon.
Sandy
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Karen is a wonderful writer. Her books are never boring. This one had an interesting flavor and I enjoyed it. I love books that use story to draw people to where they need to be with the Lord. A good book about forgiveness issues. The dog part of the team was interesting to experience as was the heroine's synesthesia. An all around good read.
Marlene Mesot
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much I've already read it a half dozen times in audio. I learned a lot about the difference between air scenting and tracking rescue dogs. This author has a unique technique for allowing a deceased character to leave something behind to help another in the book. The romance is wonderful and the characters are uniquely individual. I love this author's Family Honor series.
Terri
Nov 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
So far so good. I'm sure it will be as good as the first one.

I finished this book a few weeks ago. I loved the book. I loved everything about it. If anyone's looking for a new book to read you should try this series. I have now moved on to book #3.
Rosanne Wiester
Shelves: karen-ball
Loved it.
Tara
Apr 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Really good read. Enjoyed the end, although it kept me guessing for part of the book, it was not totally unpredictable. Great for a weekend of light reading.
Linda Jennings
Nov 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Linda by: Diane Cochran
great mystery, decent love story, wonderful animal story!!
Feb 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Mixed feelings about this one. I didn't realize it was part of a series, and I just read this one. It worked fine as a stand alone, but I just didn't love the book, but I didn't dislike it, either.
Donna
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this book more than the first one in this series - less tragedy. Characters are real. Story line is good. Ending is real too.
Donna
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
First of her books I ever read, and read book two before the others. Annie had a very intelligent dog they made a great team for search and rescue.
Tracy
  • Memoirs of the Bathtub Psychic - The True Story of a Clairvoyant and Her Dogs
  • Fireworks
  • Three Weddings and a Giggle
  • Norah's Ark
  • Flash Point (In a Heartbeat #2)
  • Single Sashimi (Sushi, #3)
  • Stain of Guilt (Hidden Faces Series, #2)
  • Fire Dancer
  • Ten Thousand Charms (Crossroads of Grace #1)
  • To Kiss a Frog
  • Fearless Confessions: A Writer's Guide to Memoir
  • Solemn Oath (Er Trilogy, #2)
  • The Daily Writer: 366 Meditations To Cultivate A Productive And Meaningful Writing Life
  • God's Gift
  • Twitter for Writers (Writer's Craft)
  • A Fine Line (Baxter Series, #5)
  • Into the Light (sequel to Out of Darkness)
  • Uncharted
Karen's latest full-length novel, What Lies Within, has been nominated as the Best Inspirational Novel of the Year. Readers regularly call Karen's writing powerful, uplifting, and fun. She writes from her home in Oregon, where she lives with her husband, Don, and their two "kids": Dasha, a mischievous 4-month-old Siberian husky, and Dakota, an Aussie-Terrier mix that should have been named Psycho. ...more
More about Karen Ball...

Family Honor (3 books)
  • Shattered Justice (Family Honor Series #1)
  • What Lies Within (Family Honor Series #3)