Start by marking “Of Blood and Honey (The Fey and the Fallen, #1)” as Want to Read:
Of Blood and Honey (The Fey and the Fallen, #1)

Of Blood and Honey

(The Fey and the Fallen #1)

Liam never knew who his father was. The town of Derry had always assumed that he was the bastard of a protestant — his mother never spoke of him, and Liam assumed he was dead. But when the war between the fallen and the fey began to heat up, Liam and his family are pulled into a conflict that they didn't know existed.

A centuries old conflict between supernatural forces se
Paperback, 1st Edition, 296 pages
Published February 1st 2011 by Night Shade Books

To ask other readers questions about Of Blood and Honey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Of Blood and Honey

Start your review of Of Blood and Honey (The Fey and the Fallen, #1)
T. Frohock
Jan 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This novel rocketed me right out of my chair. It's that good. I think it’s wonderful to see something fresh brought to the fantasy genre, and Stina Leicht does it with flair.

Set in the 1970s when the Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA) and the British Army (BA) clash, Leicht’s story opens with action that doesn’t stop until the last page is turned. Ireland’s Fey are at war with the Fallen, and as that conflict escalates, so does the confrontations between the IRA and the BA. Caug
Ben Babcock
Sometimes you just know you and a book aren’t going to get along. I debated giving Of Blood and Honey a miss after a few chapters, and I’m still not sure I made the right call to soldier on. I finished the book, and I kind of understand the plot. To say that I enjoyed it or got much out of the story would be an overstatement, though, and that’s a shame. Stina Leicht is a good writer, and the book itself is not poor. It just wasn’t what I was expecting or what I needed.

The marketing hype for this book doesn’t d
Megan Baxter
Nov 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Of Blood and Honey managed to win me over despite relying far too much one of the literary tricks that drives me batty every single time I see it. That's saying something. But still, it was at times an aggravating read. There are so many things that are good here, and then so many things that I want to be just that little bit better to make this awesome. The book got the author a nomination for the Campbell Award, so this is obviously very early in her career. I have high hopes for her future bo ...more
Kogiopsis
This is one of those tricky books where the nature of some of the content addressed leaves me feeling that I should rate it higher than my actual liking of the book would dictate. There's a lot of weighty content in here that I hadn't expected: most notably, within the first few chapters the main character is the victim of brutal prison rape, which ends up coloring a lot of his life thereafter as he struggles to recover from something he can't even speak of. This plotline is handled with nuance and... I thi ...more
Chris Aylott
Oct 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Strong first novel that puts urban fantasy in one of the last places you would expect it -- Northern Ireland in the 1970s. Liam Kelly is Irish Catholic but (mostly) non-political, trying to keep his head down and mind his own business. That plan doesn't work out so well as events draw him into the Troubles and an older, far more secret war.

Leicht takes an ambitious approach, telling a complex story set over years in an unfamiliar society, but the gamble pays off. Some of this is the
Sineala
It's a really interesting premise -- urban fantasy set in Northern Ireland in the 70s. But honestly I thought the Fae part and the IRA part didn't really gel together. The urban fantasy elements to me felt kind of light and generic, whereas all the IRA stuff was, well, pretty brutal. I think honestly I would have liked this better without fantastic elements, and maybe with more characterization for people other than the main character -- it all felt a little bit flat.
Aaron
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Feels half-written. The main character gets tortured to the point of excess, but hardly any of it properly resonates. The Irish stuff feels thrown in without proper context, a backdrop for the sake of a backdrop and little more, and the Fey vs Fallen thing is barely explored at all. All in all, a waste of time.
Beth Cato
I enjoyed the book overall, but my reaction to it is complicated--as is the book. It follows Liam, a young Catholic man coming of age in 1970s Northern Ireland. He is repeatedly imprisoned and abused by the occupying British Army--and battles against his own dark nature. He does not understand that he is part fae, and that he has been targeted by his estranged father's old enemy.

Foremost, this is the only fantasy book I've read that is based in the Troubles, and it's brilliant. Dark
Megan
Edited: To correct a character's name. I'm bad with names and can't read my own notes, apparently!

Edited again: So, adding this a year later than my initial review! Other people's responses to this book have opened my eyes to some fairly ugly aspects to this book that I in my ignorance didn't notice let alone comprehend. It was pretty obtuse and disappointing of me to not recognize some stock examples of problematic representation, even if I'm not as familiar with Irish history specifically. This review provid/>Edited
Nita
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Maybe I have been reading too many urban fantasies with kick-ass heroines lately, but it was really refreshing reading one with a male lead and set in 1970's troubled Ireland. The story follows Liam, a young Catholic, who seems to always be in the wrong place at the wrong time. After 3 years in two different prisons and marrying into a political family he joins the IRA. Liam has never known his father and has grown up thinking his father was a Protestant. His life turns to sorrow and violence as ...more
Ranting Dragon
Jun 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: stephan

I don’t usually read urban fantasy, especially not the trashy, fallen angel type (obviously, “trashy” is my own opinion — a wrong one at that, as this review will prove). So even though I heard good things about Stina Leicht’s Of Blood and Honey, I vowed never to read it. Of course, I did read it in the end… and I blame Leicht for that. She abused a Twitter conversation in order to convince me. “It has car chases,” she promised. Considering no book from Night Shade Publishers has
Megan
Oct 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
(Re-posted from http://theturnedbrain.blogspot.com/)

I finished this book a while ago, but I’ve held off on writing a review on it. Mostly because I was trying to figure out what I didn’t like about it, because while it’s clear to me that Stina Leicht’s debut and I didn’t connect, I can’t for the life of me figure out why. I think I can confidently say that the issue is between me and the book, and not with the book its self. Blood and Honey has garnered itself a slew of positive reviews across the internet, many from sour
Brandi
Feb 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to offer you all reading this, and my recent reviews, an apology because I am having one of my mental "episodes" and my writing and thinking are quite erratic. The doctor calls it neural degradation. I get confused really easily, and forget things as soon as I hear/read/see them. So my reviews are horrible when I'm going through it, sorry. :)

I'm feeling pretty cheated by this ending to be honest. There were SO many things that hadn't been explained, and even with an epil
Jackie
Of Blood and Honey is a debut novel you do not want to miss reading... Dark, gritty urban fantasy full of magic, myth and very real horrors that mankind as well as the supernatural inflicted on each other... I was drawn in to this story of Liam, his mother Kathleen, step father Patrick and his "Fey" father Bran from the start... Not only is there quite a bit of history gleaned about the infamous Irish IRA and also the British Armies conflicts in the 1970's but there is a brilliantly descriptive story ...more
Eric
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Of Blood and Honey is a beautifully written, powerful book.

The book is set in Northern Ireland in the 1970s, and follows the young adulthood of Liam Kelly. Liam is a troubled young man whose father abandoned his mother when Liam was a baby.

What Liam doesn't know is that his father isn't human.

Liam is caught up in a police net around rioters (the Troubles were in full swing at this time) and taken to prison without trial. While there, he learns things about himself
Courtney Schafer
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Excellent debut novel that combines the Sidhe and fallen angels with the gritty reality of life during the Troubles in 1970s Ireland. Leicht does a terrific job with her characters and their relationships, which were all both intense and utterly believable. Her protagonist Liam's struggle with his own darker impulses makes for compelling, gut-wrenching reading - after a certain scene in the book, I couldn't put it down. I stayed up far too late telling myself "just one more chapter...okay, just ...more
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. Of Blood and Honey is one of those fantasy books that could also easily be enjoyed by fans of historical fiction as well. The fantasy elements, while obvious, are fairly subtle which could allow this to be a good crossover novel for fiction fans who are a little adventurous. Leicht’s writing is, quite honestly, stunning. The meticulous historical research mixed with an emotionally compelling plot work hand in hand to make this book unforgettable.

At the e
Justin
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not going to write a long review of this. I've commented about it extensively in other posts, most notably this one: http://staffersmusings.blogspot.com/2...

Long story short... it's excellent, but suffers from some pretty serious pacing issues in the early going. Fantastic finish and some truly poignant scenes throughout.
Tudor Ciocarlie
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-my-best-of
Very impressive debut novel! Even if Liam's continuous torment is almost to much to read about, I like very much how this book shows that speculative fiction can be incredible powerful and relevant in the world that we live in.
Laura Jean
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, library, fantasy
I keep wanting to like this book more than I do. I like Urban Fantasy and I like historical fiction. I think the problem is that it is so BLEAK. Liam is not aware of his "gift" and so is unable to use it to his advantage when it would have helped. He's not told the truth until something horrific occurs and then, we're 2/3 through.

I did enjoy the duality: both the fey and the mortal worlds are at war.

Over all, this is very well written and intricately plotted. So please do not allow
Crystal
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
At some point in reading this book, I wanted to give it five stars. It's truly a great read. I read so many wonderful reviews, but still I was reluctant to start the book because urban fantasy is rarely my thing. There are basically two reasons for this: 1) I've read too much urban fantasy that was poorly written, and 2) I have a difficult time suspending disbelief where magic interacts with the contemporary world. I prefer my heroes wielding either guns or swords, not both.

I didn't
K. Lincoln
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I didn't know what to expect going into this book. I guess I was thinking "Charles de Lint" and so the first few pages I spent readjusting to both the lingo, the political climate of 1970's Ireland, and a brutally honest and realistic story of a young man, Liam, wrongfully thrust into one of Ireland's most brutal prisons: Long Kesh.

In the Kesh, Liam undergoes a brutal experience that lets loose the darkness in him that is a legacy from his unknown father.

Even when he is l
Dina
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
All right. I'm pretty sure my opinion of this is going to be in the minority. All over the Internets, reviewers are RAVING about this author's staggering, impressive, astounding debut novel and are even clamoring for award recognition.

Why? I ask.

Ah, maybe because the historical details of Ireland's Time of Troubles (against the backdrop of the bitter Protestant-Catholic fighting) are thorough and appear to be meticulously researched. Or that the narrative is gritty and re
Kara-karina
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Of Blood and Honey is a raw, bitter and bloodthirsty book. There is an undercurrent of brutal honesty which is hard to swallow, mostly because it talks openly about Northern Ireland and what it had to go through in the 1970s.

On the other hand it has an early urban fantasy feel, so if you liked War for The Oaks you most assuredly will enjoy this book as well.

The book follows the life and tribulations of young Irish guy, Liam. He is half-phouka and doesn't know about it as
Christine
The Troubles. Here, in America, it is not too uncommon to find people who don't even know where Ireland is on a map. Truly. It's funny watching people read Swift's Modest Propsal and seeing that they believe Swift was serious. Honestly, it makes me want to yell at them; and I'm not even Irish! I just like U2, the Corrs, the Wildes, all those fair folk, Ballykissangel, The Hanging Gale (ah, the McGanns) and so on.

And Guiness. But I love Guiness, so that'a different story.

A
Tiamat_the_red
Jul 13, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giving-up
I'm on page 176 of 311 of the ebook and I may very well never get any further. I like the main character but I desperately want to reach into the pages, grab his mother and shake her while screaming "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU, WOMAN!? COMMUNICATE!!!" because a few words from her would solve so, so many of Liam's problems (and probably remove the entire first half of this book from existence).

This book is also an unrelenting downer. There is a great essay about SciFi and how it seems to think that
Incandragon
Mar 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Of Blood and Honey is a nicely woven story of the Liam, a well-intentioned but hot-headed young Irish man during the times of Ireland's 1970's troubles. Without giving anything away, I can say there's good and evil, and there are monsters and heroes, but not in a swashbuckling high fantasy kind of way. It's too steeped in modern history to be that straightforward, and, well, people are complicated.

One thing that I really enjoy in a book is when I feel like I've learned something real
Lori
Jul 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
*Disclaimer: I read the first 150ish and last 150ish pages, while I sped-read the remainder of the book; therefore, my impressions could be (and most likely are) incomplete.*

I could only recommend this title to someone who has a pre-existing love of the history of Ireland, particularly the time period covered here (when Protestants and Catholics were busy killing each other).

In particular, the main character (Liam), whom the reader is to empathize with, keeps getting his life destro
Dragana
While I was reading I could not stop wondering: 'Why is this book fantasy?'
The main focus of the book are political & religious conflicts that happened in 1970s in Ireland. And the Liam's struggle with his inner monster could be looked as a metaphor of his struggling with accepting murdering of people... The fact that his father is fey & fantastic element are only background and I think book could go without them without loosing much of it's strength.

The thing that both
Rob
Apr 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
...All in all, Of Blood and Honey is a very character driven, emotionally charged, début novel. Liam is an intriguing character, very well realized and the focus of a story that could easily have gotten lost in further exploration of the historical context or the mythological themes of the novel. Leicht keeps the plot tight, resulting in a novel stands on its own pretty well. It reaches slightly rushed but satisfying conclusion...

Full Random Comments review
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Never Knew Another (Dogsland, #1)
  • The Winds of Khalakovo (Lays of Anuskaya, #1)
  • Miserere: An Autumn Tale
  • The Habitation of the Blessed (A Dirge for Prester John, #1)
  • Agatha H and the Airship City (Girl Genius Novels, #1)
  • The White City (New Amsterdam, #3)
  • Elfland (Aetherial Tales, #1)
  • The Emperor's Knife (Tower and Knife Trilogy, #1)
  • The Troupe
  • The Alchemist of Souls (Night's Masque, #1)
  • At the Queen's Command (Crown Colonies, #1)
  • Wisp of a Thing (Tufa, #2)
  • Wolfsangel (The Wolfsangel Cycle #1)
  • Living with Ghosts
  • Love and Romanpunk
  • The Uncertain Places
  • Mortal Love
  • Food of the Gods (Gods and Monsters: Rupert Wong #1-2)

The Fey and the Fallen (2 books)
  • And Blue Skies From Pain (The Fey and the Fallen, #2)
“Lies mixed with truth goad the fires of hate.” 3 likes
“The truth of it was he didn't want her. He wanted Mary Kate with every cell of his body. He missed everything about her. The feel of her sleeping at his side. Her gentle snores. Her soft brown curls tickling his nose enough to wake him from a sound sleep even on nights when he needed it most. Her smile. The smell of her. At odd moments he thought he had heard her laughter, or he'd catch a glimpse of her in the corner of an eye, but all of it was a lie, and every time it happened it was as if someone had ripped a deep wound in his chest. The pain was raw enough to make him want to take a razor to his wrist, but each time he considered acting upon the idea something stopped him, and so, he stumbled on barely alive and wishing for an end. At times he couldn't breathe, couldn't move without wanting to scream.” 2 likes