Start by marking “Of Blood and Honey (The Fey and the Fallen, #1)” as Want to Read:
Of Blood and Honey (The Fey and the Fallen, #1)

Of Blood and Honey (The Fey and the Fallen #1)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  829 ratings  ·  201 reviews
Liam never knew who his father was. The town of Derry had always assumed that he was the bastard of a protestant — his mother never spoke of him, and Liam assumed he was dead. But when the war between the fallen and the fey began to heat up, Liam and his family are pulled into a conflict that they didn't know existed.

A centuries old conflict between supernatural forces se
Paperback, 1st Edition, 296 pages
Published February 1st 2011 by Night Shade Books

To ask other readers questions about Of Blood and Honey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Of Blood and Honey

The Final Empire by Brandon SandersonThe Way of Kings by Brandon SandersonThe Gunslinger by Stephen KingThe Way of Shadows by Brent WeeksHowl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
Sword and Laser Fantasy List
103rd out of 754 books — 1,119 voters
Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourtCircle of Friends by Maeve BinchyIn the Woods by Tana FrenchDubliners by James JoyceTara Road by Maeve Binchy
Best Fiction Set in Ireland
61st out of 305 books — 279 voters

More lists with this book...

T. Frohock
This novel rocketed me right out of my chair. It's that good. I think it’s wonderful to see something fresh brought to the fantasy genre, and Stina Leicht does it with flair.

Set in the 1970s when the Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA) and the British Army (BA) clash, Leicht’s story opens with action that doesn’t stop until the last page is turned. Ireland’s Fey are at war with the Fallen, and as that conflict escalates, so does the confrontations between the IRA and the BA. Caught up in the
Ben Babcock
Sometimes you just know you and a book aren’t going to get along. I debated giving Of Blood and Honey a miss after a few chapters, and I’m still not sure I made the right call to soldier on. I finished the book, and I kind of understand the plot. To say that I enjoyed it or got much out of the story would be an overstatement, though, and that’s a shame. Stina Leicht is a good writer, and the book itself is not poor. It just wasn’t what I was expecting or what I needed.

The marketing hype for this
Chris Aylott
Strong first novel that puts urban fantasy in one of the last places you would expect it -- Northern Ireland in the 1970s. Liam Kelly is Irish Catholic but (mostly) non-political, trying to keep his head down and mind his own business. That plan doesn't work out so well as events draw him into the Troubles and an older, far more secret war.

Leicht takes an ambitious approach, telling a complex story set over years in an unfamiliar society, but the gamble pays off. Some of this is the setting; I d
Aaron
Feels half-written. The main character gets tortured to the point of excess, but hardly any of it properly resonates. The Irish stuff feels thrown in without proper context, a backdrop for the sake of a backdrop and little more, and the Fey vs Fallen thing is barely explored at all. All in all, a waste of time.
Megan
Edited: To correct a character's name. I'm bad with names and can't read my own notes, apparently!

Edited again: So, adding this a year later than my initial review! Other people's responses to this book have opened my eyes to some fairly ugly aspects to this book that I in my ignorance didn't notice let alone comprehend. It was pretty obtuse and disappointing of me to not recognize some stock examples of problematic representation, even if I'm not as familiar with Irish history specifically. Thi
Sineala
It's a really interesting premise -- urban fantasy set in Northern Ireland in the 70s. But honestly I thought the Fae part and the IRA part didn't really gel together. The urban fantasy elements to me felt kind of light and generic, whereas all the IRA stuff was, well, pretty brutal. I think honestly I would have liked this better without fantastic elements, and maybe with more characterization for people other than the main character -- it all felt a little bit flat.
Nita
Maybe I have been reading too many urban fantasies with kick-ass heroines lately, but it was really refreshing reading one with a male lead and set in 1970's troubled Ireland. The story follows Liam, a young Catholic, who seems to always be in the wrong place at the wrong time. After 3 years in two different prisons and marrying into a political family he joins the IRA. Liam has never known his father and has grown up thinking his father was a Protestant. His life turns to sorrow and violence as ...more
Brandi
I have to offer you all reading this, and my recent reviews, an apology because I am having one of my mental "episodes" and my writing and thinking are quite erratic. The doctor calls it neural degradation. I get confused really easily, and forget things as soon as I hear/read/see them. So my reviews are horrible when I'm going through it, sorry. :)

I'm feeling pretty cheated by this ending to be honest. There were SO many things that hadn't been explained, and even with an epilogue, I have no be
Ranting Dragon

I don’t usually read urban fantasy, especially not the trashy, fallen angel type (obviously, “trashy” is my own opinion — a wrong one at that, as this review will prove). So even though I heard good things about Stina Leicht’s Of Blood and Honey, I vowed never to read it. Of course, I did read it in the end… and I blame Leicht for that. She abused a Twitter conversation in order to convince me. “It has car chases,” she promised. Considering no book from Ni
Jackie
Of Blood and Honey is a debut novel you do not want to miss reading... Dark, gritty urban fantasy full of magic, myth and very real horrors that mankind as well as the supernatural inflicted on each other... I was drawn in to this story of Liam, his mother Kathleen, step father Patrick and his "Fey" father Bran from the start... Not only is there quite a bit of history gleaned about the infamous Irish IRA and also the British Armies conflicts in the 1970's but there is a brilliantly descriptive ...more
Tammy
This is a book about the fey. This is also a book about Ireland in the 1970s. I don't think it's necessary to have much knowledge of either in order to read this book, but I suspect you'll enjoy it a lot more if you do.

This story is painful. No surprise there, given where it's set. It's horrible and, yet, somehow the people in it still seem to find beautiful moments. Even Liam, who is perhaps the unluckiest man to ever draw breath.

This is a story about war and the impossibility of peace in some
Eric
Of Blood and Honey is a beautifully written, powerful book.

The book is set in Northern Ireland in the 1970s, and follows the young adulthood of Liam Kelly. Liam is a troubled young man whose father abandoned his mother when Liam was a baby.

What Liam doesn't know is that his father isn't human.

Liam is caught up in a police net around rioters (the Troubles were in full swing at this time) and taken to prison without trial. While there, he learns things about himself that will change him forever.

Th
Courtney Schafer
Excellent debut novel that combines the Sidhe and fallen angels with the gritty reality of life during the Troubles in 1970s Ireland. Leicht does a terrific job with her characters and their relationships, which were all both intense and utterly believable. Her protagonist Liam's struggle with his own darker impulses makes for compelling, gut-wrenching reading - after a certain scene in the book, I couldn't put it down. I stayed up far too late telling myself "just one more chapter...okay, just ...more
I absolutely loved this book. Of Blood and Honey is one of those fantasy books that could also easily be enjoyed by fans of historical fiction as well. The fantasy elements, while obvious, are fairly subtle which could allow this to be a good crossover novel for fiction fans who are a little adventurous. Leicht’s writing is, quite honestly, stunning. The meticulous historical research mixed with an emotionally compelling plot work hand in hand to make this book unforgettable.

At the end of the da
Justin
Not going to write a long review of this. I've commented about it extensively in other posts, most notably this one: http://staffersmusings.blogspot.com/2...

Long story short... it's excellent, but suffers from some pretty serious pacing issues in the early going. Fantastic finish and some truly poignant scenes throughout.
Tudor Ciocarlie
Very impressive debut novel! Even if Liam's continuous torment is almost to much to read about, I like very much how this book shows that speculative fiction can be incredible powerful and relevant in the world that we live in.
K. Bird
I didn't know what to expect going into this book. I guess I was thinking "Charles de Lint" and so the first few pages I spent readjusting to both the lingo, the political climate of 1970's Ireland, and a brutally honest and realistic story of a young man, Liam, wrongfully thrust into one of Ireland's most brutal prisons: Long Kesh.

In the Kesh, Liam undergoes a brutal experience that lets loose the darkness in him that is a legacy from his unknown father.

Even when he is let out of the Kesh, he c
Chris
The Troubles. Here, in America, it is not too uncommon to find people who don't even know where Ireland is on a map. Truly. It's funny watching people read Swift's Modest Propsal and seeing that they believe Swift was serious. Honestly, it makes me want to yell at them; and I'm not even Irish! I just like U2, the Corrs, the Wildes, all those fair folk, Ballykissangel, The Hanging Gale (ah, the McGanns) and so on.

And Guiness. But I love Guiness, so that'a different story.

Anyway. This book takes p
Crystal
At some point in reading this book, I wanted to give it five stars. It's truly a great read. I read so many wonderful reviews, but still I was reluctant to start the book because urban fantasy is rarely my thing. There are basically two reasons for this: 1) I've read too much urban fantasy that was poorly written, and 2) I have a difficult time suspending disbelief where magic interacts with the contemporary world. I prefer my heroes wielding either guns or swords, not both.

I didn't have either
Dina
All right. I'm pretty sure my opinion of this is going to be in the minority. All over the Internets, reviewers are RAVING about this author's staggering, impressive, astounding debut novel and are even clamoring for award recognition.

Why? I ask.

Ah, maybe because the historical details of Ireland's Time of Troubles (against the backdrop of the bitter Protestant-Catholic fighting) are thorough and appear to be meticulously researched. Or that the narrative is gritty and realistically bleak. Or, p
Kara-karina
Of Blood and Honey is a raw, bitter and bloodthirsty book. There is an undercurrent of brutal honesty which is hard to swallow, mostly because it talks openly about Northern Ireland and what it had to go through in the 1970s.

On the other hand it has an early urban fantasy feel, so if you liked War for The Oaks you most assuredly will enjoy this book as well.

The book follows the life and tribulations of young Irish guy, Liam. He is half-phouka and doesn't know about it as his human mother keeps h
Megan
(Re-posted from http://theturnedbrain.blogspot.com/)

I finished this book a while ago, but I’ve held off on writing a review on it. Mostly because I was trying to figure out what I didn’t like about it, because while it’s clear to me that Stina Leicht’s debut and I didn’t connect, I can’t for the life of me figure out why. I think I can confidently say that the issue is between me and the book, and not with the book its self. Blood and Honey has garnered itself a slew of positive reviews across t
Incandragon
Of Blood and Honey is a nicely woven story of the Liam, a well-intentioned but hot-headed young Irish man during the times of Ireland's 1970's troubles. Without giving anything away, I can say there's good and evil, and there are monsters and heroes, but not in a swashbuckling high fantasy kind of way. It's too steeped in modern history to be that straightforward, and, well, people are complicated.

One thing that I really enjoy in a book is when I feel like I've learned something real about my ow
Dragana
While I was reading I could not stop wondering: 'Why is this book fantasy?'
The main focus of the book are political & religious conflicts that happened in 1970s in Ireland. And the Liam's struggle with his inner monster could be looked as a metaphor of his struggling with accepting murdering of people... The fact that his father is fey & fantastic element are only background and I think book could go without them without loosing much of it's strength.

The thing that bothered me the most w
Christy
Twitter review: Fairies, angels, & 1970s Irish politics = compelling commentary on violence, healing, & choice in @stinaleicht’s Of Blood & Honey.

______________

I think my reading of this book suffered a little bit by my starting it at a conference and reading it in hotels and airports and on trains and planes; however, I was definitely drawn into both the supernatural and historical conflicts Leicht describes. I look forward to reading the sequel to learn more about both and to see h
Rob
...All in all, Of Blood and Honey is a very character driven, emotionally charged, début novel. Liam is an intriguing character, very well realized and the focus of a story that could easily have gotten lost in further exploration of the historical context or the mythological themes of the novel. Leicht keeps the plot tight, resulting in a novel stands on its own pretty well. It reaches slightly rushed but satisfying conclusion...

Full Random Comments review
Jeremy Preacher
I don't usually read other people's reviews before writing up books I've read, but Of Blood and Honey is set in Northern Ireland buring the Troubles, an area and an era I have only the sketchiest knowledge about, and I was deeply curious how people who knew more about it took the book.

My reaction to it was that it was a dark urban fantasy without a lot of emotional range, and those aren't my favorite in general. Horrible things happen, and continue to happen, and then of course one of two major
Jm_oriol
Fantasía urbana.

Ambientado en la Irlanda del Norte, de los años 70, se centra en la vida de un ... hummm ... católico irlandes, frente a la represión y ocupación británica, con una trama fantastica que encuentro muy acertada. Toda la historia se ve desde el punto de vista irlandés, quiza le iria bien también un punto de vista inglés para compensar un poco.

Está muy bien ambientada, para lo que yo se de Irlanda y de los 70, claro, y todo el ambiente se ve muy creible.

Muy recomendable.
Liz
Of Blood and Honey is a solid first book. It has good pace, credible dialogue, and an interesting enough story to keep me reading. There were two, maybe three, absolutely excellent scenes in the book that make me think Stina Leicht has a lot of potential. I'll briefly discuss one of them here.

The first scene that really grabbed me was (view spoiler). Why? Because it left so much to the intuition of the reader. What was to happen was mildly hinted at ea
Carrie
I really wanted to love this book. It practically leapt off of the library shelf at me. But even though I couldn't stop reading it, ultimately this novel was a disappointment.

Spoiler-free TL/DR version: It seemed like the author really wanted to write a novel about the Troubles and later decided she wanted to work the supernatural element in and so she shoehorned it in here and there in teasing little snippets and turned it towards the supernatural at the end.

Okay, SPOILERS COMING.

The book star
  • Agatha H and the Airship City (Girl Genius Novels, #1)
  • Never Knew Another (Dogsland, #1)
  • The Winds of Khalakovo (Lays of Anuskaya, #1)
  • The Habitation of the Blessed (A Dirge for Prester John, #1)
  • The Dragon's Path/Leviathan Wakes (The Dagger and the Coin, #1)
  • Elfland (Aetherial Tales, #1)
  • The Emperor's Knife (Tower and Knife Trilogy, #1)
  • The Whitefire Crossing (Shattered Sigil, #1)
  • Land of Hope and Glory (Land of Hope and Glory, #1)
  • Infidel (Bel Dame Apocrypha, #2)
  • Miserere: An Autumn Tale
  • Redemption in Indigo
  • The Alchemist of Souls (Night's Masque, #1)
  • The Cloud Roads (Books of the Raksura, #1)
  • Servant of the Underworld (Obsidian and Blood, #1)
  • The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year (Volume 5)
  • Blackdog
  • The Desert of Souls (The Chronicles of Sword and Sand #1)

The Fey and the Fallen (2 books)
  • And Blue Skies From Pain (The Fey and the Fallen, #2)
And Blue Skies From Pain (The Fey and the Fallen, #2) Cold Iron (The Malorum Gates #1) Lightspeed Magazine, June 2014: Women Destroy Science Fiction! Special Issue Rayguns Over Texas Last Drink Bird Head

“Lies mixed with truth goad the fires of hate.” 1 likes