Start by marking “Temptation” as Want to Read:

Temptation

Like all Hollywood screenwriters, David Armitage wants to be rich and famous. But for the past eleven years, he's tasted nothing but failure.

Living on the outskirts of Los Angeles with his wife, an out of work actress, and daughter, they struggle to get by on low paid jobs, each day bringing a fresh round of disappointment.

Then, after ten years of rejection, one of David's
Published May 3rd 2007 by Arrow (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Temptation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Temptation

Start your review of Temptation
Asghar Abbas
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

After finishing Oliver's superb Vanishing Girls, an abundantly well written gem of a novel, I needed to detox and recover emotionally, haha don't laugh. But I still wanted to read a human book before doing any dancing with the fae again. So I read this because people in Kennedy's books are more human than the humans around us.

As I read this, this about ups and downs of being a writer and the usual pitfalls, it felt like a milder version of Fools Die and oddly enough our hero sounded like Dexter
Nicola
Mar 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of higher quality easy-reading books!
Having read several other Douglas Kennedy books I thought I'd give this one a go and wasn't disappointed. This is the first one I've read that wasn't written from a woman's perspective (something I found particularly impressive about the other books seeing as the writer is a man) but it was still a pageturner. Didn't make me think as much as his other books, but was still worth the read.
Susanne (Pages of Crime)
I remember where I was whilst reading this book, my husband and I were house sitting for a friend, I was pregnant and kept getting interrupted by my now son doing summersaults when I was in bed trying to read! Other than that I remember thinking that this book was a bit tame, lame, disappointing compared to his earlier works.
Tracey Tester
I've read quite a few books by this author and this was the first one that wasn't written from the female perspective - perhaps that was why I didn't enjoy it quite as much as previous books.

The story line was okay - but I did feel it was fairly predictable.
Denise
Dec 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Witty, dark humor, good plot, great character development
Recommended to Denise by: Nobody
Shelves: fiction
I'm relatively new to Douglas Kennedy but I have not been disappointed by any of his books. This book is no exception. It's the story of an aspiring writer who made the big time, lost it and then got it back again. Loved it!
Megan
Sep 16, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great read from Kennedy though not quite enjoyable as 'State of the Union', to be fair, 'State of the Union' was partly set in the late 60's and that might have something to do with why I preferred it.
Melissa M
Dec 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another very enjoyable read! There is something about Douglas Kennedy books, each one keeps me captivated till the final page.

Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Temptation by Douglas Kennedy is a fictional book which takes the reader on a ride from the height of success to the lows in life. What happens when a gilded door opens to a man who suddenly has ample opportunities and Hollywood clout?

David Armitage, a Hollywood screen writer, has gotten his big break. One of his scripts was bought for TV and hailed as ingenious.
David reinvents himself, walks out on his wife and daughter and is hired by Philip Fleck, a billionaire, to work on a very strange
Jillian Wolf
Apr 13, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I keep scratching my head and wondering why it is that every other review I’ve read of this book talks about how utterly amazing it is and I keep asking myself why I felt bored while I was reading it. Other reviews of Temptation: A Novel by Douglas Kennedy discuss how “thrilling the ride” is while turning the pages and how they were “enraptured by the story” and I just keep thinking, “Really? Because I had a hard time forcing myself to pick it up.”

Initially, the story did start off with a
Wolfgang
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Douglas Kennedy is my favorite "cotton candy" suspense novelist. Unfortunately, this one is not at all in the same league as "The Job" or "A Special Relationship", "The Big Picture" or "State of the Union". "Temptation" has a similar plot line as some of the others - super-successful guy, get conspired against, falls deep and takes revenge. It's good page-turner stuff, but this one seems to have been written in rush, almost like on of these contract fulfillment script jobs that the main ...more
Matthew Schroth
Temptation is a classic tale of the dangers of ambition. David Armitrage, the main character, struggles for much of his early career in virtual anonymity trying to make it as a screenwriter. Finally he gets his pay day, and is quick to forget those who stuck with him through the hard times to get him there. Only David forgets that fame is cheap and Hollywood fickle. The stars quickly align to give David his comeuppance.

Kennedy is a brilliant writer, and the reader is quick to sympathize with
Rebecca Haslam
The first book I read during my week away, I picked up this book on the back of having read his previous work 'The Pursuit Of Happiness' and was surprised at the change in his writing and the story.
I identified with this book in the sense that it tells the story of a man who reaches the biggest heights of success, that many of us can only dream of, before being faced with a struggle to maintain his position - haven't we all had to fight for something we've worked hard for now and again?
The book
Nolagirl
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The lesson of this book is, "Be careful what you wish for. You might get it." David Armitage, a struggling screen writer, finally gets his big break and becomes an in-demand Hollywood writer with all of the benefits that go along with the job. He suddenly has more money than he's ever had in his life, entry into all the glamorous places, and attention from very important people. Of course, the success doesn't last and David soon finds himself alone and penniless again.

The plot is very
Lucinda
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Accessible and relateable to anyone who suffers from too much ambition: As a complete departure from his earlier book, THE MOMENT, an epic historical novel I also loved, based in Cold War Era Berlin, TEMPTATION demonstrates Douglas Kennedy's creativity and writing abilities in adapting to an entirely new subject matter: the insidious world of Hollywood, the corruption and "temptation" of fame, the illusion of success that is never quite as good as it seemed from afar. I think of the anti-hero ...more
Shuzhan
Jan 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Although I found it hard to relate it to any part of my life, and I was not quite satisfied with the ending ( a bit of cliché, I thought, and Martha and he didn't work out in that way.), still this book is worth a try.

From this book, I learned 5 things.
1, Never remarry.
2, Being responsible for your children.
3, Sometimes things just happen. Let it be.
4, (As the ending suggests, forget about pondering all such impossible questions), working is the best remedy.
5, Have a grateful heart.
Zoe
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like all of Douglas Kennedy's books, this was smooth, gripping and highly intelligent.

Douglas always manages to take you into the life of the main character and feel what they feel - a hugely talented writer and one of my all-time favourites.

A large percentage of this book revolved around mentions of finances, investments and hollywood realities and although from the off, that isn't my 'thing', this had such class and I completely loved it.
Linnet
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After 13 years of trying, David Artmitage finds success in Hollywood with a tv show. He is making big money, and leading the life he's always dreamed of. He leaves his wife and daughter, latches on to a woman influential at the Fox Network and basks in fame and fortune. But the tide always does turn, and David discovers what and who) really matters in life.
Maryse
Dec 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I was a bit disappointed. I had enjoyed 'A Special Relationship' very much and expected more from this author. However by the middle of the book I became hooked and very much enjoyed the second half.
Marian
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Kennedy's characters embark on long, complex, provocative journeys, and their ultimate strength is that - like the writer - they can throw off bright sparks in the dark." - Colum McCann. I don't know why it took me so long to discover Douglas Kennedy, but I'm glad I did!
Sarah Ryda-Corbett
Urgh
Ann
May 25, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
What a slow and boring book. I could not finish it it was getting more and more tedious. I did get half way and maybe it gets better but there is too much out there to read.
Arah-Lynda
3.5 stars.
Donna Huber
This was an entertaining read. Douglas is an excellent storyteller. Read my full review at Girl Who Reads .
Paola
Feb 17, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Luke Spyropoulos
CAN WE REALLY HANDLE GETTING EVERYTHING WE EVER DREAMT OF?

('Temptation' by Douglas Kennedy)

David Armitage has never given up on his dream when arguably he should have done. Despite being around forty, and never having broken through, he is still doggedly aiming to become a hit Hollywood screenwriter. Generic action films and even rom- com scripts have all missed the mark near or far, (‘We were really looking for this sort of thing last month’), or merited no reply at all. With a wife and
Fran
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Douglas Kennedy

Some people live their lives on a virtual collision course never stopping along the way to find a different path that might be less treacherous. Sometimes on the road to success or finding that right path we create situations for ourselves and others that make the collisions even more dangerous and the end result a disaster. Money and success are sometimes the perfect combination to ignite the sparks needed to send that car on a downward spiral. David Armitage has lived
Vivian
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As usual, the author had me hooked in no time and made me want to do nothing but read all day! I knew from reading other books by him that I needed to hang on tight for the emotional roller coaster ride. While I never liked the main character in this book because I found him to be too self centered, I still felt his angst as he did the free fall from riding high to life in the pits. Couldn’t figure out how he could possibly come back from all of that but loved cheering with him as the “bad guys” ...more
Sylvia Goodall
The book is a ride through Tinsel town in all its glamour, insincerity and volatile success. Its one of those books you would really enjoy reading under a bright sunny beach probably drinking a pinna colada.
It follows the life of David Armitage, a screenwriter, on a journey of his career to his climax, down and back up again. It has some very interesting references, especially in film and booze; it gives you a hint of the taste of the rich.
Generally a really good read, but i cannot promise it
Cindy
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would imagine the film industry is probably like this in real-life. I didn’t really care for any of the characters in this book, but the plot was good and kept me reading. I was hoping for a stronger finish, though.
Barbra
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. Douglas Kennedy brings such depth to characters and expresses everyday internal struggles so well. I found this book a fast read with an interesting story. This was only the second Douglas Kennedy book I've read and I'll definitely read more.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Le Cri
  • La vie secrète des écrivains
  • The Carrier (Spilling CID, #8)
  • The Forgery of Venus
  • Brandwashed
  • Puppet on a Chain
  • It Started With Christmas
  • The Stars Shine Down
  • The Next to Die (Spilling CID, #10)
  • Que serais-je sans toi?
  • Buyology: Truth and Lies About Why We Buy and the New Science of Desire
Douglas Kennedy was born in Manhattan in 1955. He studied at Bowdoin College, Maine and Trinity College, Dublin, returning to Dublin in 1977 with just a trenchcoat, backpack and $300. He co-founded a theatre company and sold his first play, Shakespeare on Five Dollars a Day, to Radio 4 in 1980. In 1988 he moved to London and published a travel book, Beyond the Pyramids. His debut novel The Dead ...more