Start by marking “Red Riding Hood” as Want to Read:
Red Riding Hood

Red Riding Hood

3.50  ·  Rating details ·  18,423 ratings  ·  2,175 reviews
The blacksmith would marry her.
The woodcutter would run away with her.
The werewolf would turn her into one of its own.

Valerie's sister was beautiful, kind, and sweet. Now she is dead. Henry, the handsome son of the blacksmith, tries to console Valerie, but her wild heart beats fast for another: the outcast woodcutter, Peter, who offers Valerie another life far from home.

Af
Paperback, First Edition, 352 pages
Published January 25th 2011 by Poppy (an imprint of Little, Brown and Company) (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Red Riding Hood, please sign up.
Melissa Nicely No , basically there is a wolf that tries to kill the people of a village and everyone is trying to get rid of it (That's as specific as I could get i…moreNo , basically there is a wolf that tries to kill the people of a village and everyone is trying to get rid of it (That's as specific as I could get it without any spoilers) but it's not scary :)(less)
Madge There is no sequel, however the last chapter is available to read online @ http://www.redridinghoodbook.com/. Just click on "Read the bonus chapter"!

·  18,423 ratings  ·  2,175 reviews

Start your review of Red Riding Hood
Jillian -always aspiring-
Red Riding Hood, a tie-in novel to the 2011 movie of the same name, tries to be many things: a love story, a fairy tale, a mystery, and a thriller. The trailer for the movie is beautiful and seductive -- but does the book hold that same allure? Frankly, I can't say it did. The movie trailer held the promises of danger, secrets, and seduction. . .but the novel held none of that for me.

Quite honestly, this book made me see red.

I usually give novels about one hundred pages to grab me before I set
Carole
Jan 16, 2011 rated it liked it
For lovers of supernatural coming-of-age thrillers involving werewolves and hot, brooding guys...

I CAN'T BELIEVE I STAYED UP PAST MIDNIGHT FINISHING A BOOK THAT HAS NO ENDING.

Literally, this book has no ending. Internet rumors say that the ending will be released online when the movie is out. WTF!? We are teased with the identity of The Wolf and maybe it is this one person, but maybe... ? Honestly, this ending makes Charlaine Harris look like M. Night Shymalan (the Good Years).

Still, I am will
Zim
Jan 28, 2011 rated it did not like it
Okay, it was a quick and interesting read. But there was several things that hit my boiling point.

1) Peter + Valerie = NO CHEMSITRY. So, apparently, Peter was a creepy weird kid in the village and left and he came back liked a decade later and Valerie is all like, "OMG he's so hot. It's him. All my feelings I didnt know i had has appeared in less then two seconds blah blah blah," They hardly say two words to each other. Example would be when she first say him. The only said this, Valerie "Do you
Sammi Ennis
Dec 24, 2010 rated it liked it
The book (from what I understan) is written by Sarah Blakley-Cartwright (Author), and David Leslie Johnson (Author). Hardwicke is responsible for the introduction...

I bought this book last night, and was unable to put it down. The writing is absolutely lovely, it does a great job of really capturing the fairytale feel of the world, and overall I just really loved this book. Just read the first chapter... you'll see. :)

EDIT:

So I finished it. And yes, there is no ending. Goes down a star just for
Gray Cox
Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to mourn the death of Gray's love for fairytale re-tellings, we can only hope that her love for such books will pull a Jesus miracle and resurrect in a few days...

Seriously. Is this book joking? Is this a joke?!?!?

*whispers*

Is this the Bee Movie???

PETER AND VALERIE HAD NO CHEMISTRY! ZERO. NONE. GOOSE EGGS.

And Valerie... no thank you.

This book had promise, I saw the trailer for the screenplay it is based off of, and it looked so beautiful and aestheti
~Tina~
Some Spoilers
(2.5 stars)

I really wanted to love Red Riding Hood since the movie looks really good and I'm looking forward to watching it, but the book...not so much.
While the writing is strong, almost poetic at times, I didn't like the style of writing.
I can live with the fact that the story is told in thrid person, but I don't think it was necessary and it only distracted me more then anything from an already slow moving pace.
In a nut shell? It felt like reading a very plot-driven scrip where e
Just Josie
Nov 14, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-star, ya
Not gonna lie, this was bad.

I was honestly sucked in by the pretty cover, and who doesn’t love a good re-telling of an amazing fairytale.
#iwillneverbetoooldforafairytale

This just didn’t cut it. Messy, boring characters and the plot was just so... not very entertaining.

Read: 28/12/2011
1st rating: 1 star
Genre/sub-genres: Re-telling fairytale/ romance/ YA
Cover: 3.5 stars
POV: 3rd person
Will I recommend: No. Not even the movie🤷🏻‍♀️
Christina
Feb 17, 2011 rated it did not like it
The only reason she's really getting a 1 star is for effort...And I can't rate it any lower.
Just a warning, this has spoilers in it, but I figured no one would see it if I click the "has spoilers" button. I wasted my money on this book. Wish I hadn't. But me being me, I was too stubborn to give up.

No offense to the author, but this was the WORST book I have ever read. I'm gonna address each problem. While the plot sounded good, there were holes and inconsistencies everywhere in the story, and it
Ashley
Simply put, don't read this book.

I know I promised myself I was going to stop reading so much Young Adult Fiction, but how could I resist this book after seeing that gorgeous preview for the film with Amanda Seyfried gliding across the snow with that bright red, velvet cloak trailing behind her in the billowing wind?

I only wish the book lived up to that scene.

I actually purchased the book first for a friend as a gift, not realizing that the book itself was not an original novel but a novelized
JAM
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
I absolutely hated every second of this book, and it might just be that it was to girly for me. There wasn't a second reading this book that I wanted to tear my eyes out. The book began boring and ended, well it didn't really have an ending. This book left you wondering and was just terrible. If you read this rating, don't let it discourage you from reading because you might like it. I'm just saying that I thought it wasn't good.
Nancy
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Once upon a time in a land far, far away, there is a village much like other villages in the time of yore. In this village is a girl named Valerie, her older sister named Lucie, and their parents, Suzette with unrequited love for another, and Cesaire, the town drunk who carries sorrow in his heart. In a different house lives the grandmother who has been accused of being a witch.

The village has an agreement with a very big, very bad wolf. Full moon comes and a goat or some other poor creature is
Kaede
Aug 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
First thing's first, I'll admit I didn't finish this book. So those of you out there who take pleasure in going to different one-star DNF reviews and yelling at the reviewers, stating that they have no right reviewing a book they didn't finish, you can back off now. Because while I admitted to not finishing this book, I did skim the remaining 50 pages I had left. I am fully aware of the events that occur within this book, and therefore am not basing my opinions with no support.

The biggest fault
Shaina
This is a pretty gothic version of the story as if it weren’t already a dark tale. This version is just with a teenage/ ya Valerie as RRH and you see all of the village life, her family, why the wolf comes for her, and what is in her heart and mind. It’s actually a mystery. I loved this version of the story. Don’t be fooled by the description, there is an element of true love in here vs marrying whomever her parents say but there is so much more to this story. Betrayal, family secrets, religious ...more
bookreaderinluv but she's tired too
This honestly was sooo boring. Like there was an eerie type of feeling, but it was so stretched out that it became only annoying. I gave it three stars because... honestly I don't know. Like it was bad, but it captivated me enough that i actually wanted to know what happened in the end even if I hated it.
Olivia
Apr 23, 2019 added it
Read this several years ago in preparation for the movie (which I never saw as everyone said it was terrible). The book is not worth your time. The writing is like that of a seventh grade dropout and get this, the ending is not written just so you can go see the movie and see how it ends. Seriously?! I felt pretty conned by that. Don't buy this as it's basically cheating you.
Kayla
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: i-own
I actually found this book lying around. I picked it up and it was actually okay!
Katherine
Apr 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars-books
When I rate a book with 3 stars this mean that the book means nothing to me. It's good, I didn't mind to read it but I would have preferred spend the time that I spent reading it, doing (or reading) anything else. For me this book is indifferent. Have read it or not would have been the same thing. Well not exactly the same thing. I spent time reading it...

I liked the idea. It's interesting, really interesting and I really liked the way the references to the Little Red Riding Hood appear, discree
Liz
Jan 22, 2013 rated it liked it
This story is completely different from the original one.
Meanwhile the original is a nice fairy tale for children this story is dark. It is a story that shoud be read at night next to the fireplace.
It is dark and gloomy and yet enchanting. A gothic fairy tale.

Although I know the original story I can say that this one is not predictible. It is filled with surprises and turning points that are absolutely exciting!
The write style is simply magical and all the characters feel real and in an encha
Elizabeth Ross
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-stars
The Wolf is a creature that haunts the village where Valerie lives. The people there are obliged to make a sacrifice every month, when the moon is full, so the Wolf won't kill any inhabitant. And then, one night he kills someone anyways. Someone really close to Valerie. While dealing with her pain, the rage that spreads through the village agaisnt the Wolf, and her heart that wants someone her parents would never approve, she starts to realize that the Wolf may be someone way closer to her than ...more
Mizuki
Feb 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
Let's be very frank here, this book is one hell of a disaster. If I can give it zero star, I would have done this. If you don't want to feel disappointed and cheated, stay the hell away from it. If you think Twilight is bad, then you can try this one in order to see what lowest of the lows looks like. I don't know how this Red Riding Hood manages to outdo Twilight at being silly and bad. But trust me, it does.

Looks like Red Riding Hood is its author first ever novel, but I only saw the name of C
☆M I C H E L L E☆
*3 stars*

Of course we all know the classic story of Little Red Riding Hood, like it's normal to know what happens to Cinderella after losing the shoe and how the prince saves Snow White from the bite of the apple. But this version of the adorable Little Red Riding Hood - or Valerie - is not as obvious as the original. The story was born because of the release of the movie, but what is the version that tells the story better? Reluctantly I have to say the movie, although I don't remember various
Stephanie (Stepping Out Of The Page)
This book was okay. It wasn't terribly bad, but it wasn't great either and yes, I feel as though the movie would probably be better. I didn't feel as though this book was as effective as it could've been - this was just so bland. The characters were flat, they could've been so much better developed. I didn't feel much towards anything, really. I think that the idea is good but to me, I kept feeling as though I'd missed out on things - the book could've easily been double the length. The lack of ...more
Leah
Feb 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It was a fun and easy read ... I pretty much read it in one day. Couldn't put it down! I felt like I was thrown into a magical, fantasy world, and it was so cool! I liked the concept of this story, and the interesting twist it has when compared to the original story.

I do feel like certain aspects of the story could have been a little bit better detailed. In some ways it felt rushed, passing up opportunities to further expand on the story. But overall I enjoyed it and would r
Rhiannon
I can't really decide whether I liked this book or not. It was well written and had a great suspense theme throughout the entire novel.

However, I felt this read was unexpectedly super dark and gory, and the constant religious references made me a bit uncomfortable (the constant talk about witchcraft and the devil etc...). And I just wasn't satisfied with the ending to be honest. The book had great potential but it seemed like the writer was trying too hard to scare the reader with unnecessary d
Morgan
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have been reading lots of retellings lately. This is my second red riding hood retelling and they were both so different from each other. This book has huge mystery factor on who the wolf is and who are the bad guys and who will she choose . I really could not figure out who the wolf is (view spoiler)!This book was very fast-paced and fun to read, it kind of reminded me of a movie . ...more
Shay
May 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed, 2018
Ok... I can commend the author for at least making an attempt... but that is it. My 2 stars is generous. It only gets those stars because I found the story to be exciting, despite the lack of any chemistry between characters and the endless plot holes, it was meh. But it at least held my attention to the end. I'm not exactly amused by the fact that I read it to the end. But I did hoping things would become clear.
Jessica (a GREAT read)
Jan 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
So I've been more than curious about the new movie Red Riding Hood, since the wolf is obviously a werewolf and there's going to be some sort of romance with Red...or Valerie as the case may be, so I decided to read the book Red Riding Hood by Sarah Blakley-Cartwright. And it was pretty interesting.

I'll admit what grabbed at my heart right away was when Valerie saw that Peter, her friend from 10 years ago returns to her town to help with the fieldwork or whatever. She feels immediately drawn to h
Melissa
Mar 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the retelling of Red Riding Hood. It's a retelling I enjoyed. Hm... but what to tell? What not to tell? I will say that after reading the book and since it was based first on the screenplay, the snippets I've seen of the movie seem to follow closely the story with the exception of Father Solomon (played by Gary Oldman). Solomon is supposed to have been someone who was from Moorish decent... so that blew that image out of my head, but I can see Mr. Oldman play the character who tended to ...more
Siobhan
Oct 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
I love a good retelling and Sarah Blakley-Cartwright’s Red Riding Hood had the potential to be an addictive retelling. In fact, I went in with high hopes.

Unfortunately, Red Riding Hood failed to wow me. I was hoping for an addictive read, yet it was a book I found myself skimming. I did not care for the characters, I did not feel the chemistry, and the only thing I was reading for was to see if my belief about the wolf was correct.

Only, it turns out, to get that answer I need to go online and re
Trisha
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
At first, I really enjoyed the backstory this book provided to the movie. I don't know that it holds well on it's own (it's disjointed, just like the movie). But, soon, I found my attention wandering and I wasn't terribly interested in the story.

I think a lot of of this has to do with the way the POV is told. I wanted the POV to be Valerie, which is mainly the POV of the main character of the movie too. But the POV roamed from person to person, letting us in on their motivations and interpretati
Crazy for Young A...: Red Riding Hood by Sarah Blakley-Cartwright → Start Date: October 27th, 2015 25 24 Nov 08, 2015 07:42PM
Worst Book Ever 33 144 Jan 18, 2015 11:01PM
The wolf?? 8 58 Dec 20, 2014 12:42PM
the ending 11 70 Jun 04, 2013 02:48PM
Cafe Libri: May: "Red Riding Hood" by Sarah Blakley-Cartwright 22 27 Jul 14, 2012 03:57AM

• Snow White & the Huntsman
  • Bled Dry (Vegas Vampires, #3)
  • Beastly (Beastly, #1; Kendra Chronicles, #1)
  • Real Mermaids Don’t Wear Toe Rings (Real Mermaids, #1)
  • Battered Not Broken
  • Frostbite (Cheyenne Clark, #1)
  • Yeti! Were? (Yeti, #1 - #4)
  • Vados (The Ujal, #1)
  • Other People's Love Affairs
  • Falls Like Lightning
  • Cyborg Pool Boy (Cyborg Shifters, #0.5)
  • Kisses from Hell
  • Bewitching (Kendra Chronicles, #2)
  • Once Upon a Curse
  • Sisters Red (Fairytale Retellings, #1)
  • Taken by the Minotaur