Start by marking “The Complete Book of Long-Distance Cycling: Build the Strength, Skills, and Confidence to Ride as Far as You Want” as Want to Read:

Ride Strong, Ride Long ... Whether Your Goal Is 30 Miles or 3,000

From Edmund R. Burke, Ph.D., and Ed Pavelka - two of the country's top cycling experts - comes the most comprehensive guide ever to achieving the strength, skills, and strategies you need for long-distance riding. Whether you're training for day rides, centuries, or cross-country trips, The Complete Book of L
Published October 6th 2000 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Book of Long-Distance Cycling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Book of Long-Distance Cycling

Start your review of The Complete Book of Long-Distance Cycling: Build the Strength, Skills, and Confidence to Ride as Far as You Want
Ryan
Mar 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is very good for a person who is interested in getting a bit more "scientific" about their workout strategy, nutrition, and bike posture. And when you think about it, if you're planning on doing a lot of biking and really want to see improvement you probably should be focusing on all these things. Additionally, the book has its primary focus on "building up to that big event that you've been planning for" as opposed simply increasing your fitness in general or building up for a multipl ...more
Ben De Bono
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
This was a really helpful book, especially for someone who, like me, is new to the sport. The authors cover the gamut of cycling topics - training plans, equipment, nutrition, winter riding. That and more is all here. There are several parts that, while not immediately applicable (such as training in winter), I was grateful the book covered as I now know where to go to find good information on those topics when I need to.

The one major complaint I have is the chapter on stretching and maintainin
Jordan McPeek
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fitness
Good reference book for all aspects of longer rides. As one who's interested in attempting longer rides as opposed to one with that experience, it opened my eyes to various problems that might come up. If I wasn't already committed to pushing my endurance, chapter after chapter of problems one might come across could've frightened me off the idea. Still, I'd rather be aware of the possibilities and dangers now rather than through painful hindsight. I don't plan on doing the extreme rides often r ...more
Josh
Apr 05, 2013 rated it liked it
There is a lot of good information on things like nutrition and body maintenance. However, the authors are very quick to suggest solutions that require buying products advertised in their magazine, so take the product recommendations with a grain of salt. You don't need to spend tons of money on special food and drink and special equipment in order to be a successful long distance cyclist. A little bit of ingenuity and knowledge is far better than a bunch of chemical laden garbage in your stomac ...more
Benjamin Plume
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
There's a lot of useful information here, and it's relatively well-written. This isn't for beginners, though... the exercise concepts and regimens suggested require a significant outlay of cash and commitment to calorie and carb counting. That isn't to say it's a bad strategy - it sounds extremely effective. It's just a little beyond what casual cyclists are looking for, and the book doesn't really offer a less hardcore alternative.
Micah
Nov 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If you are considering doing long-distance cycling, I recommend this book as a good primer in getting in shape for endurance and taking care of yourself on the road. There is something for just about everyone in this book, from the more casual cyclist (like me) to the most serious competitor who dreams of cycling across America.
Jillian
Oct 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Solid training book that covers physical and mental preparation, health issues, nutrition, and more. Even if you don't want to get up to a double century or beyond (I'm certainly content with centuries) you can read that chapter for the insane stories of cyclists hallucinating and taping pillows to their uncomfortable saddles.
Risa
Jun 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
For anyone who who even consider doing an AIDS or MS ride, this is the book that allowed to ride 545 miles in 7 days without any problems. Except for the painful a**. One can't train for that, it's just an added bonus.
Erik
Aug 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Cyclists, Triathletes
A great guide to cycling. While this book is not as comprehensive as Joe Friel's Cycling Bible, it is a very complete book, and will take you to your first century. It is a great read for the avid cyclist or the triathlete looking to increase his or her cycling endurance.
Amy
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really informative - I have a lot of work to do!!
Franziska Gonzalez
Very informative.
John
Apr 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: bikes
I need to get back on the bike. I long for the day when I can eat whatever I want after a 60 miler.
Mike
May 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great information and resource for the long distance rider
Ted
Mar 09, 2011 rated it liked it
This book made me tired by just reading it. However, it has some good tips on building endurance and how to avoid getting a sore ass from being on a bike so much.
Ross
Apr 02, 2008 rated it liked it
A more general overview of the topic without the specific training programs outlined in the other books.
Dawn
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
A great resource for those looking to ride 50, 75, 100 miles and longer.
Shea
Jul 31, 2015 rated it liked it
I saw this described as a sort of Couch to 5K program for cyclists but it's really for people who are already experienced and want to ride centuries and beyond.
Miss S E Maclennan

• Zinn & the Art of Road Bike Maintenance
  • Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair
  • The Reluctant Fundamentalist
  • The Answer Is…: Reflections on My Life
  • How the Irish Saved Civilization: The Untold Story of Ireland's Heroic Role from the Fall of Rome to the Rise of Medieval Europe
  • Skywalker: Close Encounters on the Appalachian Trail
  • Backpack Gourmet: Good Hot Grub You Can Make at Home, Dehydrate, and Pack for Quick, Easy, and Healthy Eating on the Trail
  • The Bicycling Guide to Complete Bicycle Maintenance and Repair: For Road and Mountain Bikes
  • The Backpacker's Handbook
  • The Ultimate Hiker's Gear Guide: Tools and Techniques to Hit the Trail
  • The Bicycle Wheel
  • Zinn & the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance
  • Be Expert with Map and Compass: The Complete Orienteering Handbook
  • Walking the Appalachian Trail
  • The Complete Walker IV
  • The Backpacker's Field Manual, Revised and Updated: A Comprehensive Guide to Mastering Backcountry Skills
  • Just Passin' Thru: A Vintage Store, the Appalachian Trail, and a Cast of Unforgettable Characters

News & Interviews