Start by marking “The Unidentified” as Want to Read:
The Unidentified

The Unidentified

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  4,007 Ratings  ·  514 Reviews
Fifteen-year-old Katey (aka Kid) goes to school in the Game—a mall converted into a “school” run by corporate sponsors. As the students play their way through the levels, they are also creatingproducts and being used for market research by the sponsors, who are watching them 24/7 on video cameras.

Kid has a vague sense of unease but doesn’t question this existence until one
Published October 5th 2010 by Balzer + Bray

Missie
Oct 18, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya

Not good. Not awful. Just boring.

I'm not really sure what else to say about The Unidentified except that I had to force myself to finish it, and the ending left me feeling disappointed that I had even bothered.

The slow beginning was torturous, and the story never really picked up. At first I thought the idea of a school sponsored by corporations sounded different and kind on interesting. But as I read, the whole thing fell apart. I couldn't support the con
Mary Catherine
In another dystopian society, the government can no longer pay for schooling. Instead, children are sent to Game Centers to market themselves and new creations for a points and to be branded by a company. It’s eerily plausible and equally scary, especially when the “players” are given cell phones with GPS tracking and are fully required to update the higher-ups with status changes on online communities reminiscent of Twitter, Facebook, and MySpace.

Katey Did – aka Kid – is the 15-year-old heroine
Navi
You know, when the inside cover of your book explains more than the actual story does, you know you're doing it wrong.

My friend told me to 'avoid this one at all costs' because it was confusing and boring. Me, being a rebel, decided to borrow it from her. When I saw that one of my favorite authors had approved this book as being awesome, I decided that it couldn't be too bad.

And at first, the idea wasn't bad. It was like a willing 1984. I was intrigued by what everything was, why their 'school'
Cristy
Not awful.. not fantastic.. kinda ho-hum and a little boring.
I really wanted to like this book more then I did.. unfortunately the intriguing premise of UNIDENTIFIED didn't quite rise to it's potential and ultimately I was disappointed. This dystopian tale set in our immediate future, where schools are located in refurbished malls and run by sponsors; as the kids compete for popularity status and "branding" all while their education is fed to them in "Game" form. Sounds good, edgy even right?..
Halli Lilburn
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Unidentified by Rae Mariz: Urban YA Speculative Fiction of the Year
I know it’s only March, but I have chosen my UYASF Book of the Year and it comes as no surprise. With friends like Hannah Moskowitz and Cory Doctorow endorsing her novel, Rae Mariz has her foot, leg and body in the best-seller door with her debut novel. She creates a dystopian society by turning high school into “the Game” where lectures are video games, projects get you points and your popularity gets you branded by major co
Danielle
Read This Review & More Like It At Ageless Pages Reviews

Katey "Kid" Dade is a 15 year old girl in The Game. No, not the rapper or Triple H, Kid lives in a not too distant future where the education system has been sold to sponsors who provide schooling in return for market research. "Players" attend classes and take art, music, and gym electives, while fighting for social rankings to join cliques that will get them branded by sponsors and increase their personal social media scores.

Wait, did
Steph Su
Mar 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s been a while since I’ve read a book that has impressed me, and so when I picked up and got instantly sucked into THE UNIDENTIFIED’s riveting and eerily familiar world, I was beside myself with happiness. THE UNIDENTIFIED is smart, well-written, and suspenseful, the perfect example of what dystopian literature should be: a fully realized and recognizable world without forgoing characterization and plot.

Rae Mariz impressively introduces us to a shocking and complex futuristic world, one in wh
Jenn
Dec 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopian, kindle
This was an interesting read.

You can never be to sure of who your friends are, who trust, and who is watching you.

The teenagers in this book go to school that's all centered around The Game. You do things in the Game to to help you get to certain levels and higher scores. There are sponsors out there watching what you do and if they like what they see, or your a trend setter, you get branded by the label. This seems to be, mostly, what everyone in the Game wants. If you get branded, you get to
Lindsay
Do you ever get creeped out at how much access Google has to information on you? Forget it, because it Unidentified, that’s just a fact of life. In fact, ‘Google’ is so accepted as an all-knowing entity that it has replaced ‘God’ in common phrases, i.e. “For the love of God,” is now, “For the love of Google.”

This is the world that Katey, aka ‘Kid’, is growing up in. It takes place at an undefined point in the future U.S. She is educated by corporate companies who monitor and analyze her decision
Donna
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You know, THE UNIDENTIFIED had a good premise but the overall execution ended up being rather ho hum for me. At the end of the day it was about the social outcast coming to grips with the social strata in her school with the end result being the nonconformists conforming to the nonconformists' conformity. I was actually kind of disappointed. I'm not really sure what I was expecting but I know it was definitely something a little more than a higher tech Heathers (which is an awesome movie, THE UN ...more
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Unidentified By Rae Mariz - Starting March 7th 2016 5 6 Mar 12, 2016 11:01AM
Crazy for Young A...: The Unidentified by Rae Mariz → Start Date: March 14th, 2014 21 32 Mar 21, 2014 09:40PM
RE: Personal Profiles 1 15 Nov 28, 2011 07:42PM
Points to Ponder 1 8 Nov 28, 2011 07:40PM
the reflection to our life 2 7 Nov 28, 2011 07:33PM
  • Epitaph Road
  • Scored
  • Those That Wake (Those That Wake, #1)
  • Restoring Harmony
  • The Blending Time
  • The Sky Inside (The Sky Inside, #1)
  • Memento Nora (Memento Nora, #1)
  • Nomansland
  • Exodus (Exodus, #1)
  • Empty
  • The Other Side of the Island
  • Floodland
  • The Water Wars
  • The Line (The Line, #1)
  • The Third
  • Drought
  • Human.4 (Point 4, #1)
  • 20 Years Later
“Who are you when you're alone? When no one is watching? What's left then?” 21 likes
“I was like the runner-up to Miss Mediocrity and my prize was awkward silence.” 21 likes