Start by marking “Making the Run” as Want to Read:
Making the Run

Making the Run

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  246 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
All her life Lulu McClellan has heard the names. Growing up in a small Kentucky town, Lu has forever felt like she's on the outside looking in. Maybe that's why she takes pictures – to make sense of what she sees and feels but doesn't always understand.

Now that graduation is almost here, Lu and her friend Ginny are moving in a quick blur of drugs and drink. Lu thinks she's
Paperback
Published June 3rd 2003 by HarperTeen (first published May 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Making the Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making the Run

Kornelija Baranskaite
Jul 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
"Vienišė Lulu", "pamišėlė Lulu", – tokiais vardais visą gyvenimą buvo vadinama Lulu Makelan, pagrindinė šios knygos herojė. Augdama mažame Kentukio miestelyje, Lulu jautėsi taip, tarsi iš šalies žiūrėtų į viską, kas jame vyksta. Galbūt todėl jos gyvenimas susideda iš fotografijos kadrų. Kad viskas, ką ji mato ir jaučia, bet ne visada supranta, įgautų prasmę. Dabar, kai mokyklos baigimas jau čia pat, Lu ir jos draugė Džinė slysta per gyvenimą tarsi skęsdamos kvaišalų ir alkoholio liūne. Lu mano, ...more
Rebecca McNutt
This book was incredible, similar to Go Ask Alice but more realistic and profound, featuring two best friends who find themselves hooked on drugs.
Paloma
May 07, 2009 added it
ihsafipafissg.
There's this girl and she smokes a lot of pot and she has this best friend and she drinks too much. Then she dies.
Kelly
Jan 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Lu is angry. Very angry. She's mourning the too-soon loss of her mother and she wants nothing more than to get the hell out of small town Rainey, Kentucky. She bides her time with partying, numbing herself with drugs and booze, and taking photographs. But it's the night she meets Jay -- a boy left Rainey himself and who'd been her brother's best friend -- that suddenly she begins questioning what it is she wants in the future. She won't not leave, but maybe now she'll have someone to take along ...more
Beth
Jan 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
In fast paced nearly poetic prose, first time novelist Henson presents shutterbug Lulu, a constant observer who sees the events of a her life as series of captioned photographs. A camera hangs around her neck even when it is too dark to take pictures, as she uses the lens to craft a frame of reference for her troubled life: a mother dead at a young age, a distant and critical father, bouts of bad grades, and shoplifting, and more recently, joyriding, drinking and drug experimentation. When Jay, ...more
Beth
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I surprisingly read the whole book. I say surprisingly because half way through the book I was about ready to give up on it. Lulu McClellan was a fairly relatable character, but I didn't really have a connection with her. When she wasn't busy getting drunk and high, she was falling head over heals with her brother's older friend. This just left a bad taste in my mouth, not because it wasn't necessarily realistic, but because that was basically the whole story. I didn't find there to be many "unm ...more
Eriel
Oct 01, 2008 rated it liked it
This was an Ok book. I'm not going to lie and say it was the best book I have ever read but it was Ok. The narrator was a teenage girl that used drugs and got high all the time. It was kind of disturbing actually. She starts to date her brothers friend who is like 28 years old, and she is only 18. And she mostly talks about just getting out of her hometown as soon as she graduates. She wants to travel around the world and be a photographer. I would recommend this to people who like books about t ...more
Jessy
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was absolutely amazing. It touched me in a way a book hadn't in years. The characters are so real that you feel as if you know them. I'm surprised that more people haven't heard of this book and it's hard to find on many sites. It's great for anyone in their teens or up. I'd love to find a copy to reread from time to time.
Ariel
Dec 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book ! I just picked it up thinking oh I might read this if I run out of other books ,then I read it .. and it was like "wow that was great , I'm amazed" . I like being pleasently surprised and I def was with this book , I really enjoyed it . It was sad through some parts though , it made me cry once or twice . I recommend it though , really good book . (:
Amalthea
Jan 31, 2010 rated it liked it
Decent enough read. Written from a different worldview than my own, which I normally find fascinating, but I felt it tended to be nihilistic at times and left the reader with a bad taste in the mouth. There was a small bit of redemption in the end, but it wasn't satisfying enough for me. Nor did it seem particularly coherent with the character to suddenly have a change of heart.
Sep 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one flies off the shelf with my junior and senior girls.[return][return]Eighteen-year-old Lu is set on leaving her Kentucky home town after high school graduation, but her plans are complicated by friends and family, old grief, and new love.
Eb
Aug 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
i want the book so i can re-read it and fall in very deep likes with it again. i can rem. some of the things int the work but i cannot remember all of it like i would like to [i read it roughly 4-5 yrs ago].
Riley
Jul 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
For some reason this juvenile tale of a young girl's mundane life has stuck with me since I first read it years ago. Tells the story of a 17 year old who drinks and has a distant father. Typical? Yes. Unforgettable? Yes.
Katrina
Apr 27, 2008 rated it did not like it
I couldn't get into this book. I felt like the narrator was just another generic teen who used drugs and alcohol as a way to make it through high school living in a small town. Maybe someday I will pick this one up again because others seemed to enjoy it, but for now, I consider it a dud.
Katie Bob
May 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A forgettable, but good for time killing book. Quite sad throughout but an interesting plot. An overall good book.
Meredith Winter
Really liked it, considering i relate to it...
Marisa
Aug 14, 2007 marked it as to-read
from YA session at chapter conference -- alcohol
Michelle
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
this is a great book for when you're bored. It's interesting, but not that exciting. It's an easy book to read.
Aurora
This book is quietly poignant and really makes you think. It left me wondering about what life's really about. I'm not sure I would read it twice, but it is definitely worth a read.
Anna
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books growing up and i still love it today!
Jordan
  • Martin & Victoria
  • Hunted
  • Claws
  • Dancing in Cadillac Light
  • On My Own Two Feet: The Journey from Losing My Legs to Learning the Dance of Life
  • The Rising Star of Rusty Nail
  • Wasteland
  • My Heartbeat
  • Making Jack Falcone: An Undercover FBI Agent Takes Down a Mafia Family

“Sometimes you don't know you'll miss a place until you're gone.” 7 likes
“It's like she looks at me and only sees what she wants to see. My father looks at me and sees only what he wants me to be.” 3 likes