Start by marking “Lutheranism 101” as Want to Read:
Lutheranism 101

Lutheranism 101

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  172 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Lutheranism 101 examines Lutheran beliefs and heritage in a fresh way. If you are a lifelong Lutheran searching for more information or new to Lutheranism looking to understand what we believe, this book will be your guide.
Published October 1st 2010 by Concordia Publishing House (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Lutheranism 101, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lutheranism 101

Julie
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is very good. It will be my first recommended reading for anyone wanting to know about Lutheranism. It touches theology, history, Martin Luther, and gives a book list for further study.
Tyrel
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great introduction to confessional Lutheranism and works well as a refresher for those who have been Lutherans their whole lives. Covers both doctrine and practice in plain, easy to understand language and explanation.
Susanna Grant
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
very comprehensive look at the basics of Lutheranism from every angle down to the proper way to make the sign of your baptism to covering the differences between the various L. denominations and an explanation of each part of the divine service, really thorough
Daniel
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 4.0 of 5

Having grown up Lutheran but now married to a Catholic, I've often been asked, "Well, what do Lutherans think about that?" And like all good Lutherans, I wouldn't have a clue.

This is an amazingly concise and readable book full of history (Christian in general and Lutheran specifically) and a comprehensive explanation why Lutherans worship in the way that they do. It also explains why certain things are said at every worsh
Josh
Jul 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Personally, I am a Southern Baptist and have no intentions of changing denominations. However, I am grateful to God for the changes he wrought in Martin Luther and how He used him to start a reformation on the church that is still going on today. Therefore, I was very intrigued by this book and wanted to see some of the differences in theology that Lutherans hold to versus what other denominations believe (specifically Baptists) and I was not disappointed at all with this book. I was already awa ...more
Tracy
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I became a Lutheran in 1999 and wanted to learn more about the Lutheran faith to make sure that it fits my beliefs. So, I bought the kindle version of this book.
I was pleased on how thorough this book was. I was disappointed to see that they have slightly insulted my branch of Lutheranism (ELCA). Yes, we are the ones who made the decision to allow gays to be ordained and allow individual churches to decide whether to "call" a gay minister. Otherwise, I enjoyed all areas of this book. I found so
Jeff
Dec 02, 2014 rated it liked it
This book provides a good summary of Lutheran beliefs, history, and the basis for Lutheran worship. As a 30+ year Lutheran I didn't find a lot in this book that I didn't already know, except for some of the church history in America and the rationale behind the structure of Lutheran worship services. I am sure that other readers may find it of greater value than I did, and I certainly recommend it to anyone who wants to understand the Lutheran church.
Joel Schaefer
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
While the title suggest this is specifically about Lutheranism, the reality is that this book is much more about Christianity in general, and does provide a limited amount of scope on Lutheranism. this was suggested to me by Pastor Decker, and was very helpful to a novice to better understand some of the very complex Christian concepts. A very good place to start an understanding of Christianity.
Dawn
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith, own
I was born and raised LCMS, so my life has incorporated the Lutheran teachings since birth, but it's been a long (long) time since I went through Confirmation classes and was confirmed. This book was a great refresher of what we believe and why. It is easy to read, very informative, and a great resource to have in my home library.
Pastor Don
Aug 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Actually this is more like Lutheranism 202 or above, but if you really want to know what we Lutherans believe then read this book. Great as a Bible study with "The Course" and we are almost through here at Trinity Lutheran Burlington.
Christ's peace!
Susan
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction

It was quite basic for me as a lifelong Lutheran, but I would certainly recommend it to anyone looking for thorough information on our history, what we believe, and why.
Heather Melcher
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Well, I'm probably a little biased in my rating, because I am one of the authors of this book. But, it really is an amazing resource to help people understand what Lutherans believe and do.
Beau K Williams
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home
Immersed

What a good beginning to a better understanding of the tenets and structure (or architecture) of my religion. Extremely helpful .
Kenny Parnell
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not much new material for me based on my other readings, but I would say that it's not a bad place to start if you have no previous exposure to Lutheran doctrine.
Luke
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Tremendous resource! Very useful as an introduction to Lutheranism or as a refresher. I think anyone would find something interesting in this wide-ranging, brief guide.
Anitz99
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lutheran
Great review for remembering my catechism from many many years ago :-)
Arthur O'dell
More comprehensive than I expected, which is a good thing. An excellent resource for someone wanting to learn more about Lutheranism but it may be a little too daunting for a casual reader.
John Clark
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Book of Concord: The Confessions of the Evangelical Lutheran Church
  • Grace Upon Grace: Spirituality for Today
  • The Lutheran Study Bible: English Standard Version
  • Broken: Seven Christian Rules That Every Christian Ought to Break as Often as Possible
  • The Proper Distinction Between Law and Gospel
  • On Being a Theologian of the Cross: Reflections on Luther's Heidelberg Disputation, 1518
  • The Spirituality of the Cross
  • The Hammer of God
  • The Christian Tradition 2: The Spirit of Eastern Christendom 600-1700
  • A History of the Christian Church
  • Evangelical Feminism and Biblical Truth: An Analysis of More Than 100 Disputed Questions
  • Sources of Strength: Meditations on Scripture for a Living Faith

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99