Start by marking “I'll Teach My Dog 100 Words” as Want to Read:
I'll Teach My Dog 100 Words

I'll Teach My Dog 100 Words

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  354 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
Illus. in full color. Beginning readers can learn 100 different words in this story about a remarkable dog.
Published October 12th 1973 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about I'll Teach My Dog 100 Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'll Teach My Dog 100 Words

Gary
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delight for any young child, this wonderful book is filled with bright and cheerful illustrations , as well as fun rhyming.
It is full of life and action in only 29 pages.
It teaches small children, the meaning of words, as they are taught to the dog.
Finally it teaches the meaning of procrastination, as the owner of the dog, with all his big dreams for his pet, on the last page says:
�I think I�ll start next year�
David Sarkies
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Children
Recommended to David by: My Dad
Shelves: childrens
A lesson in vocabulary
18 November 2013

This story, structured in beautiful meter and excellent rhyme, is about how we set ourselves huge goals, and imagine huge success, only to put it off because we prefer to sit under a tree and pass our days catching the rays from the sun. The protagonist in this book (known only as 'I') is a man who has great hopes for his dog because he wants to teach his dog 100 words, but not only teach him those words but to also teach him how to do these things.

It seem
Alexa Beal
Apr 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I don't know why, but this book has been one of my favorites since before i can remember. All I know is that my dad would read this to me, and I would laugh so hard. To this day I still giggle when I reread this book.
Sarah Adamson
A fun book for early readers.
Stephanie Watson
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a cute book! This book highlights 100 words that children can point out that a dog may be able to do. I enjoyed reading this book.
Cassandra Gelvin
Poetic primer.

It's one of those books published by Random House which piggybacks on the popularity of Dr. Seuss by being called a "Cat in the Hat Presents" book, without actually being written by Seuss. It's also illustrated by P.D. Eastman, the illustrator and writer of "Are You My Mother?", another classic children's book. It's not quite repetitive, but it's pedantic. It's almost patronizing. It's basically a primer with a tenuous thread of a story running through it, with words like "walk" an
Rosa Cline
Nice beginner reader book as it introduces various words along with the picture so the child can look at the picture and see the item then the word, thus reading it. Helping their self esteem. OR like I did, I read it out loud to my adult special needs son and he loved it. He smiled and giggled throughout to see the various things "my dog" could do. Fun book. BTW it's another timeless story that is still just as fun as it was 40 years ago when I read it as a little girl.
R. G. Nairam
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Well-executed early reader.
Mia Morrison
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A cute way to teach colours, concepts and body parts to children.
Danette
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
5/22/17 Read with Naomi & Julia.
Alicia Singleton
This book is about an owner that teaches his dog different words while also teaching him commands. Some of the words the owner teaches the dog are what you would expect a dog to do such as catch, bark, beg, walk and run, but some of the words are extreme, such as “scratch you head” and “blow your nose.” This book is a good tool to expand children’s vocabulary. In the book it refers to different objects, some objects that children may not know, so this book can help them learn new words. Another ...more
Salima Hart
This is a cute book about a guy that wants to teach his dog 100 words so that everyone will be impressed. He goes throughout the story talking about all of the things he wants to teach his dog and how everyone will react. I think that children will love to read this merely for entertainment purposes, but a teacher can definitely use this to have students identify opposites shown within the story.
Rachel
Aug 17, 2015 rated it liked it
This would be a difficult read for beginning readers as it introduces lots of new words with very little repetition. However, the real star of this book is Eastman's illustrations, depicting an exhausted dog who is becoming fed up with his owner's increased word tasks. If I was the beginning reader attempting to learn all these words, I would be, too. Two stars for a beginning reader title, but I would this slightly higher if you're simply looking for an enjoyable read (3 stars).
Karla Kulyas
The boy in the book wants to teach his dog 100 words. He start off very simple commands that a dog would hear. By the end he is saying how many he has taught and then decides that he is going to quit and start next year. This could be used to discuss with students what it means to take on different tasks and knowing when something is too much to do.
Elizabeth S
Dec 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: c-beginner
A fun, rhyming book. Not so much about teaching the reader 100 words, more about teaching a dog to do things from "sit" to "paint the fence" to "jump the rope." Note that these three examples count for six words, not seven. With pictures by P.D. Eastman, how can a book go wrong?
Ginia
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review is by my 9 year old daughter...

AWESOME I think it's a good idea to write books like that. It was wonderful to read a poem especially if I haven't read a poem in forever
Stephanie Moran
Decent read-out-loud book for early readers. I liked that there was a lot of conjunctions in this book, such as "i'll, we've, she'll" etc because I noticed that sometimes my daughter struggles with these when she is reading.
J
Jun 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: little-cuties
Great for learning concepts like dark/light, big/small, et al. We are trying to teach our little one German so we wrote the entire book out in German and read it to him that way - it helps us both learn!

Neionie Pulido
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have an affinity for Dr. Suess's children's book and I found this book for children and I found that this book contain a lot of adjective and verbs. I ffelt aht a great lesson could be made using this book for inpirations
Tara
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very cute and classic children's book. The rhyming and rhythmic text makes it great for reading out loud. This is fun to read to very young children and would be very good for a child who is learning to read.
Alyssa Garrison
ABC/Counting: I'll Teach My Dog 100 Words is a good combination of the abc's and counting. It includes words and common phrases and actions that children need to learn, and this book presents it in a very fun way.
Vinitha
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book for an early reader. Lot of simple words and fun too
Gray
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Kids get excited when they see how many pages they have read. I love this book and always will.
Kathy
Jan 22, 2009 rated it liked it
A Bright & Early Book with lots of easy beginning words.
Jeffrey
Nov 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
A fun book with demonstrative and creative integration of text and storytelling. Great for beginning readers and yet fun for adults to read to them.
Saba
May 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
much better than the revised edition "ill teach my dog alot of words."
PWRL
Mar 24, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2016-new
A
Summer
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Very cute book! I have a feeling I'll be reading this one over and over and over and...
Kate Walker
Jan 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
I wish more children's books were written in this very straight forward, language-rich manner. It presents 100 short phrases that a toddler can easily master.
Jasmine
Aug 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
come on we all know the real point is to teach the kid 100 words.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »