Start by marking “Passport Diaries” as Want to Read:
Passport Diaries

Passport Diaries

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  229 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Kia Carson, a Los Angeles district attorney with beauty, brains, taste, and style, is about to turn thirty-five. There's just one problem with her picture-perfect life -- she's not got one eligible man in sight. Well, thank God she has her career . . . at least until she gets suspended from her job. To regain her sense of purpose, she plans a restorative girl's night out - ...more
Published August 2nd 2005 by Amistad (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Passport Diaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Passport Diaries

Amanda
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved! Loved! Loved this book! No other book has made me want to pack my bags and travel as much as this one. There are cute, funny and informative parts as well. I loved that Tamara Gregory added a list at the back of all the places the main characters had visited and their contact info.
Tina
Kia Carson is an ADA at the LA District Attorney's office. Her passionate zeal to see justice done doesn't quite match up to what her boss during an election year considers appropriately "going for the jugular" during a trial of a pair of juvenile defendants.

What was supposed to be four weeks of over-work required vacation is now a four week suspension. To top it off, her planned European jaunt with her sister is now just a solo holiday. Feeing utterly sorry for herself, Kia sets off on her tran
Jul 29, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, wanderlust
So I gave fiction another shot. And modern chick fiction, at that. $1 book sale drew me in. Single professional woman's solo travels in Europe... I can do that for $1. Finding out on the first couple of pages that she's heading to London, Paris, and Greece by herself on her 35th birthday... heck yeah... sounds familiar. I might just keep on reading (and I did, pretty much non-stop, until I finished). Oh surprise she's black... this I like... bonus for different perspectives. First political rant ...more
Anne
Jun 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book over and over. It is such a great story! Wish Ms, Gregory would come out with another, she is very talented!
T.M. Haddock
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the first books I read that opened up my eyes to traveling abroad (while black).
Although fictional, the prose helped to assuage my early fears of what foreign (to us) cultures believed to be true about foreigners (to them).

Tamara Gregory's writing is insightful, funny and deliberate. Passport Diaries was an enjoyable read.
Ari
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: france, read-in-2016
IQ "If you're worried about your street credibility, don't. You're from Ladera. You did Jack & Jill. You went to Harvard Law School. You don't have any street credibility. The only reason you still get to call yourself black is that you're darker than a paper bag and you have a phat ass. Trust me, dating a white boy could only help you at this point." Maya pg. 220

Honestly except for the Ladera (a suburb of California), Harvard Law and ass part that whole quote is me summed up, just replace L
Gina
During the first chapter of this book I almost stopped reading the book entirely. I liked the premise but having read other Chick Lit books I felt like I had read it another time with another character. The book "Eat, Pray, Love" popped into my head at one point and that is what I had wanted to compare this too. But I kept reading and by the first 50 pages or so I grew to like Kia and her travel adventure. I read this in less than a day (one of the best things about a Chick Lit book). I can say ...more
Kesha
Oct 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read
I loved this book. I really need an epilogue or better yet a sequel. I was rooting for Drew from the beginning, glad she didn't kill the relationship before it got started. Hated the ending because I need to know at least how the first meeting with the parents went. Although the blurb from the book says Drew was white, I didn't think the book was an IR romance because I didn't actually think they were gonna get together in the book.
Ariane
Dec 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
I pretty much love any book encouraging black women to travel, but when I first read the book, I really disliked Kia. She seemed as if she were always focusing on her blackness. I also got the vibe that she was one of those who believed that whites were the enemy. I, on the other hand, rather liked Drew, her coworker. The ending was predictable, but the author certainly can write. The dialogue between Kia and Drew was oftentimes witty and really showed Kia's intelligence.
Jd
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loved it. Reread over and over. Bought it after checking out in library. I gave it four stars because I thought the ending was too succint, I would have loved to see more of them as a couple after their journey toward becoming a couple and there was really no hot and heaviness until the last few pages. I guess he's Greek-American. SIll loved it. Would love a sequel.

April
Apr 13, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked it and after reading it I really want to dust off my passport and book me a trip around the world. However, I felt that the story left me with a lot of unanswered questions. But it was good for a first story.
Alyssa Johnson
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My favorite book- it stars a young professional black woman who embarks on a tour of Europe only to discover a part of her self she hadn't encountered in a long time...no spoilers but the ending is incredibly sweet :D okay so one spoiler :D:D
Nancy H
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
When Kia Carson loses her job and her traveling partner, she decides to go to Europe anyway. That is a great decision. She learns a lot about herself as she visits London, Paris, and Mykonos, and finds the man of her dreams, who turns out to be not at all what she expected.
smoked_honey Honey
This book makes me want to take off on an adventure in a new country.
Mariana
Oct 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Very funny summer read.
Marilyn
May 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
rounded from 4.5

LA Attorney with stressful job ventures on a European vacation to London, Paris and Greece. Funny and light.
Ursula
Jun 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chick-lit
The perfect book for the beach.
Pam
Jul 02, 2008 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fiction
06/30/08 rec via bookmooch
Georgine
Sep 06, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a cute story. I enjoyed reading about her trip to Europe.
Tahnee Jackson
Apr 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
What a great get-away for your mind. I'm waiting for Tamara Gregory to write another.
Anita
Jan 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
"This is a great book to take on a trip, easy read. I can't wait for her next book"
Marissa Cecil
May 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
Cute storyline, but I could have done without the sex and the focus on race.
Natasha Holcomb
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I 'read' via audio book. A cute, quick read with some pretty comical parts.
Deidre
Jun 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Cute book. Very easy read. Here's my full review: http://wp.me/pReDl-9V
Swathyr
Oct 11, 2009 rated it liked it
good summer read!
Anino
Wasn't spectacular, but it was fairly decent read.. We should all be so lucky to have a "Drew" in our lives..
Damecatoe
Picked this up for $1 outside Books-a-Million on Saturday. A fun read.
Tania
Apr 19, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was a decent read.
Shen
May 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Travelling with Kia Carson to Europe just by relaxing on your home. Love it! ;)
Kristine Mae
Apr 11, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Love Out of Order
  • Reye's Gold
  • A Whisper to a Scream
  • Choices
  • Greeley's Spyce (The Megalodon Team, #4)
  • Arms of a Stranger
  • Priceless (Urban Fairytales)
  • The Color of Love
  • Tastes Like Chicken
  • Crush
  • No Commitment Required
  • The Lord and the Scorpion
  • Acting Out
  • Finding Opa! (The Lonely Hearts, #2)
  • Dark Star (Rockers of Storm Crow #3)
  • Playing My Mother's Blues