Start by marking “Living Without God: New Directions for Atheists, Agnostics, Secularists, and the Undecided” as Want to Read:

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  87 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Ronald Aronson demonstrates that atheism represents much more than what one does not believe: that it is the precondition for a generous humanism. The two closing chapters are models of stoicism at its best. - Christopher Hitchens, author of God...
Paperback, Large Print, 362 pages
Published September 4th 2010 by ReadHowYouWant (first published September 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Living Without God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living Without God

Aamir Ogna
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First and foremost, this is NOT a book that goes on a mindless rant criticizing religion. The author accepts the fact that for the majority of the population, religion is an important part of their lives and that's perfectly ok. This book is not meant to convert someone religious into someone who's not.

With that aside, the book is a brilliant guide on how to live a life of morals and values without needing religion or God. It's an excellent read for the religious and the secularist/atheist alike
Jane Susswein
Thisis part of an email I sent the author. Turns out we were both in the Boston area at the same time, and I may have taught a class he moght have attended at Brandeis!

I must admit I am an ardent Kaplanian, and would love to have seen some discussion of the types of communities that are best for realizing all the values you so beautifully articulate. I have often spoken about the kavanah of gratitude and awe - not gratitude towards anyone, but simply the attitude- that are read in the morning pr
Jeff
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: secular-studies
There are many secular books available about why people don't believe in gods; this is one of the few that talks about what atheists do believe, and even better, what kind of difference such beliefs can make in the way we live as authentic human beings. At the very least, this book makes you think about what life is about and how to live it to the fullest without the delusion of belief in the supernatural. I am reading it again because our weekly intentional community, Reasonable Living, has cho ...more
Dan
Feb 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book to recommend to anyone who tells you that without God our lives are meaningless or "everything is permitted." Aronson shows that a life lived here in the real world, now, not in anticipation of some life after we die or reward in a hereafter, can be a focused, happy, grateful, meaningful, and hopeful one. We need a lot more books on this subject!
Bakari
The author focuses more on his political views and experiences than he does for making a case for "living without god." I respect his political views, for they mirror many of my own, but I was looking for him to delve more into what it means to live with god and who build a society without god.
Fernando
Aug 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great work, it's like an "ok, there is no god, now what?", I like the idea of focusing more in "What do I can do to be a better person or to behave morally better?" than in the "Religion is not good" argument.
Suzy
Jan 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I agreed with all of the directives and commentary.
Mazhar
I want to read again
Shawn Steketee
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book for the new atheist or the agnostic.It helps you to get beyond just unbelief and look at what else it may mean to be an atheist.
Erin
  • The Atheist's Way: Living Well Without Gods
  • Atheism: A Reader
  • Will to Power: The Philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche
  • The Cambridge Companion to Atheism
  • Women Without Superstition: No Gods--No Masters: The Collected Writings of Women Freethinkers of the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries
  • The Atheist's Introduction to the New Testament: How the Bible Undermines the Basic Teachings of Christianity
  • The Godless Constitution: A Moral Defense of the Secular State

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99