Start by marking “Akira, Vol. 5” as Want to Read:
Akira, Vol. 5

Akira, Vol. 5 (Akira: 6 Volumes #5)

4.49  ·  Rating Details ·  5,557 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
In the 21st century, the once-glittering Neo-Tokyo lies in ruins, leveled in minutes by the infinite power of the child psychic giant, Akira. Now a wasteland of rubble and anarchy, the Great Tokyo Empire rises, a ragtag group of zealots and crazies who worship and fear Akira and his mad prime minister, Tetsuo, an angry teen with immense powers of his own -- and equally imm ...more
Published January 1st 2002 by Dark Horse (first published December 10th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Akira, Vol. 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Akira, Vol. 5

Jedi JC Daquis
Jan 21, 2017 Jedi JC Daquis rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome volume five. Things are shaping up for a definitely explosive concluding volume. Now, for those who are wondering how much the book differs from the movie, my answer they are similar at some key plot points with a lot of differences. The manga definitely covers way more than the movie. Like, the movie happened for just days, while the comics spans for months. The scope is also larger in the comics (view spoiler) ...more
Eric
Mar 24, 2008 Eric rated it really liked it
(I read Akira in one huge go over a weekend, so I will be cutting and pasting this review for all 6 volumes)

Akira is an epic work of science fiction sequential art. The storyline is complex and consistent. There is social commentary, ethical musing, and morality woven through an action packed storyline of science gone wrong. The "romance" portion of the story is believable as well. The two characters are drawn to one another over time, and the world doesn't stop for them to wallow in their newfo
Gustavo
Feb 23, 2017 Gustavo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, manga, seinen
No sé que más puedo decir sobre este manga, es todo excelente. En este tomo cada una de las facciones a favor o en contra de Akira se preparan para una confrontación final. Es muy interesante la forma en la que Otomo narra el viaje interno de Tetsuo, lo convierte en un personaje que es mucho más que el matón del principio de la historia, casi en una víctima de su propio poder. En mi opinión, esos grises son lo que hacen que este manga sea tan complejo y hermoso.
Jesse
Nov 27, 2016 Jesse rated it really liked it
One of the best series's I've read. Gotta get volume 6. I ordered it almost a week ago. COME ON AMAZON!
Rascal
Nov 11, 2016 Rascal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amo a Katsuhiro Otomo, amo como encuadra, como dibuja, como te cuenta la historia. Quiero ya el tomo 6.
Maja Shinigami
Apr 12, 2016 Maja Shinigami rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, comics
Tetsuo damn you fine.
Alexander Engel-Hodgkinson
4.4/5

The fifth volume brings us closer to the end, and even though we're this close to the finale, Otomo is still introducing us to a new set of characters, most of whom are isolated on an American aircraft carrier. Tetsuo's brash captain initiated a violent turf war with Miyako in the previous volume, and continues to push for Miyako's complete destruction. Bio-weapons are secretly being smuggled into the ruins of Neo-Tokyo, Tetsuo shows off an incredible display of power that knocks the world
Brynna
Jun 20, 2017 Brynna rated it it was amazing
These are some of the most incredible graphic novels I've ever read in my life. If you are looking for something that contains depth of character, well developed storyline, incredible imagination, and spectacular art, you've found it. Akira pulls no punches and is not interested in playing it safe - it'll grip you from start to finish and have you itching for more.

I highly recommend pacing yourself with these. I was so excited to read the next one that I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Bec
C
Nov 20, 2016 C rated it it was amazing
This series gets better and better. This has become the more dramatic of the bunch as Tetsuo loses his human side into the darker-side of The Power, stripping away all sense of morality, self, and value into the webbing of an omnipresent power. Violence and risks are stacked high in the risk of reward for closure of a story gone amok in such beauty that is as chaotic as the things of creation. Omoto is on a locomotive roll careening into a pitfall of extreme momentum. Cannot wait for the Final A ...more
Nigel
Mar 25, 2017 Nigel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Kanedaaaaaa's back! Where was he? Who knows! How'd he get back and how'd he survive? No idea! But he's just the thing to liven up the quiet life of Neo Tokyo with a bit of his healthy rebelliousness and undying thirst for revenge against his once-best-friend Tetsuoooooooo! But Tesuooooo wants to hit the moon's eye like a big pizza pie and also throw a few fighter jet planes around like toys and begin his disgusting mutation into a mindless blob of flesh and metal.
Karrie Stewart
May 07, 2017 Karrie Stewart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such an epic story. I can't wait to see how it finally ends.
Capirotada
Feb 15, 2017 Capirotada rated it really liked it
Se esta poniendo bueno
Helmut
Feb 26, 2013 Helmut rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, japan
Mensch-Maschine

Ein gewisser Stimmungswandel ist zu Beginn dieses 5. und damit vorletzten Bands der Reihe zu spüren: Ein Flugzeugträger mit Soldaten und Wissenschaftlern an Bord ist auf dem Weg, die Bedrohung durch Akira und Tetsuo, die weltweite Ausmaße angenommen hat, ein für allemal zu beenden. Während diese Armada auf rohe Gewalt setzt, planen die anderen Psycho-Mutanten unter Führung von Mutter Miyako einen subtileren Ansatz... Und am Ende dieses Bandes, der sehr abrupt aufhört, steht der Sh
Jocelyn
Volume 5 focuses more on Tetsuo's growing powers and the different military offenses against Akira. There's also a "turf war" between the Great Tokyo Empire (of which Akira is de facto leader) and Miyako-sama's side, mostly instigated by the Captain of the Great Tokyo Empire. Because people are leaving Akira's side and going to Miyako-sama for food and shelter (two things that Akira's side have failed to adequately supply people with), they hold a rally of some-sorts where Akira and Tetsuo show ...more
David Basora
Dec 14, 2015 David Basora rated it really liked it
The moon? How...what...did he breathe? I don't understand. It was cool, but damn. And what exactly do the Americans think they can do against someone who personally blew a hole in the moon, and serves someone stronger?

It's nice to have Kaneda back to his brash, juvenile, confusingly chivalrous ways. I still don't like him, but he's a strong character who knows how to survive. Hopefully Kei continues to do the same thing. And, btw, I must not be the first person to secretly ship Chiyoko/Colonel,
Ted Child
Jan 29, 2010 Ted Child rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
The art and story continue to be amazing and the destroyed cityscape wonderfully cathartic. While reading the first couple volumes I felt that sometimes the action was a bit too fast paced. Whether I have grown accustomed to the pace or it’s slowed down a bit I’m not sure but I no longer feel it’s a problem. I have enjoyed the later books more than the first couple, especially since the re-destruction of Tokyo. I’m looking forward to how this series ends and re-watching the movie, hopefully wit ...more
Evan
Jul 21, 2014 Evan rated it really liked it
A disappointing downturn in quality—not a particularly abrupt one, nor a considerable change. But still, after the first three volumes, Akira takes a more standard, tropey road. Kaneda is suddenly that whiny, shouty protagonist from every anime I've ever seen. As the drama turns more fantastical it loses a je ne sais quoi driving force, a certain amount of frenetic excitement, even though Otomo's action scenes remain as good as ever.

The intertwining machinations of the American scientists, Amer
John Schneider
Dec 12, 2011 John Schneider rated it it was amazing
The more that I have read this series, the more I wondered why they did not take the time to create a proper sequel to Akira the animated movie. This manga series has such superb depth that I cannot recommend it enough. In this volume of the manga, it managers to start a subtle but penetrating examination of the Japan's relationship with the United States and the rest of the world. I have seen that trope done time and again, but Akira's treatment is level-headed and engaging. And that's not even ...more
Capri
I'm not even sure what to say about this... It's still complete insanity. Everyone is fighting everyone. I'm not sure if anyone knows whose side they're on. Tetsuo is completely bonkers, Kaneda is back and apparently Kei is a powerful medium. The power is overwhelming Tetsuo, and still mostly nothing from Akira. I'm seriously starting to wonder if he's actually a threat. One more to go and I guess I'll find out.
Andrew Huey
Jul 11, 2015 Andrew Huey rated it really liked it
This volume advances the story and ends on a heck of a cliffhanger. Events are all coming together, leading to the conclusion in volume 6.

This is another thick book, over 400 pages, but a reasonably quick read. Otomo's art, as always, is great.

The black & white art is fine, for the most part, but there are a few pages I'd really like to see in color. (If only someone would release a color version on Comixology...)
Elaine
Nov 17, 2012 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The anticipation for the next volume is killing me. While this entire volume is pretty much a slow build-up to the ending battle, the pacing itself doesn't feel like it has slowed down. Rather the pacing almost feels like it has ramped up a bit in this volume because of all the action sequences. Like hearing and seeing the bubbles in the water before the pot gets to a full rolling boil. Looking forward to the epic battle that is sure to come.
Andrew
Feb 03, 2011 Andrew rated it it was amazing
This is the penultimate book in the series and my challenge for the evening - yes i had to read it in the evening in one go - as the various characters draw to the inevitable conclusion you cannot wonder who will survive and who will not - you will be surprised and if you are familiar with the amine by now you must have realised that nothing is as it seems. The pace is still manic running headlong to what you can only expect to be an epic show down. Read on it does not get better than this.
Don
Feb 10, 2008 Don rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
After reading Books 1-4 in fairly rapid succession, didn't get to Book 5 till 9 or 10 months later. Unfortunate, and with a story this complex definitely affected my appreciation.

Even with that, it's still a clearly incredible work, and in this penultimate volume there is an overpowering sense of everything speeding up, faster and faster, towards the chaos and climax. And yet Otomo is *still* introducing new characters, and developing old ones! Impressive.
Taruia
Sep 05, 2014 Taruia rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Just when you think you know what is going to happen, the massive psychic abilities of Tetsuo blows up part of the moon. I am not going to lie, I did find this a little difficult to follow especially as Kaneda and Kei are drawn similarly. However having said that this is still a great manga and I am thoroughly enjoying it.
Manu Tenchio
Dec 25, 2014 Manu Tenchio rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best volumes so far, it shows tetsuo as he merges into his "final form", which is pretty intense.
You also see progress in the relationship between Kaneda and Kei.
Though, if you start reading Akira from here, you won't understand a thing.
This is a great addition to the series, but it is necessary to start from volume one to make the most from this manga
Neville Ridley-smith
Apr 09, 2013 Neville Ridley-smith rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
The first half of this seemed to just have the characters going back and forth between various places. The second half had some great stuff but also felt a bit meandering. But you can't go past the awesomely detailed artwork and there *are* some awesome things that happen. I mean, just look at that moon...
Dru
Jan 20, 2013 Dru rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-graphic-novel
Really great stuff. Neo-Tokyo is in ruins. The survivors attempt to finally kill Tetsuo and Akira. I totally forgot most of the plot since I haven't read Akira vol.4 in a while, but it didn't take long get back on track.
Marcos Francisco Muñoz
Solo puedo decir "Wow". Todo lo que ha pasado hasta ahora ha sido un retorcido juego de ajedrez concebido meticulosamente por Otomo, y al finalizar el quinto libro las piezas se encuentran listas para un final en el que parece que nadie puede "ganar".
Espero con ansias leer el sexto tomo.
Colin Willett
Jul 27, 2007 Colin Willett rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anime
An amazing epic of a biker gang and a child destined to be a god, but he sees his powers as leverage to get what he wants in life. He desperately wants power, no matter who he takes down with him. Part V of VI
Mary
If you've only seen the film Akira, you really owe it to yourself to read the rich, gorgeously illustrated manga it was based on. This volume explores more of the worldwide consequences of Tetsuo's lust for power.
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 008 (Pluto, #8)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 7 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #7)
  • Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 3: The Flute of the Fallen Tiger
  • 鉄コン筋クリート[Tekkon KinKurîto ] All in One (Tekkon Kinkreet Complete)
  • Ghost in the Shell (Ghost in the Shell, #1)
Katsuhiro Otomo (大友 克洋, Otomo Katsuhiro) is a Japanese manga artist, film director, and screenwriter. He is perhaps best known for being the creator of the manga Akira and its anime adaptation, which are extremely famous and influential. Otomo has also directed several live-action films, such as the recent 2006 feature film adaptation of the Mushishi manga.

Katsuhiro Otomo was born in the former to
More about Katsuhiro Otomo...

Akira: 6 Volumes (6 books)
  • Akira, Vol. 1