Start by marking “Akira, Vol. 6” as Want to Read:
Akira, Vol. 6

Akira, Vol. 6

(Akira: 6 Volumes #6)

4.5  ·  Rating details ·  5,972 Ratings  ·  206 Reviews
The explosive finale to one of graphic fiction's greatest achievements is here! The mad psychic colossus Tetsuo, the world's military, and the remaining psychics of The Project face off -- with the child psychic god, Akira, the wild card -- in what may not only decide the fate of mankind, but may determine the next step in human evolution! This long-awaited volume -- a sta ...more
Published March 27th 2002 by Dark Horse (first published March 23rd 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Akira, Vol. 6, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Akira, Vol. 6

Coffee&Quasars
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.3 stars.

RTC for the entire series.
Jedi JC Daquis
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Akira is one of the greatest manga that has ever been created. It is up there together with Kazuo Koike's Lone Wolf and Cub series. Katsuhiro Otomo has created a masterpiece that is teeming with pure non-stop action. Volume six didn't hit all the right spots in seamless storytelling, hugely because of the sheer amount of thins happening in the book. With so many players in the board, I am still amazed that the author still managed to pull off a spectacular finale.

Akira.

Reading each volume is lik
Brendon
Oct 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Its almost impossible to describe how completely amazing Akira actually is. It makes any seminal American graphic novel seem childish. Required reading for anyone interested in the medium.
Michael Sorbello
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Honestly, I was pretty disappointed with this series as a whole. The action was good and some of the visuals were very impressive, but everything felt so empty. The characters were bland and didn’t have much growth. The relationships between them often felt forced and superficial. The plot was pretty barebones for long intervals. I just found myself not caring about anyone or anything by the time the ending came around.

I’ve heard the film be regarded as a masterpiece many times, and I’ve also he
Rachel
Much better than Volumes 4 and 5! The dream sequence near the end was beautifully depicted and really delivered an emotional payload that I'd been looking forward to since reading the first book. I found some of the action frenetic and some the characters' motivations murky. I think at this point I'm mostly happy to finally be finished with this series!
Phil
Jun 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm totally biased on this one as Akira will always hold a special place in my heart. My next door neighbor lived in Japan for a while and when he came back he was like 'Akira Akira Akira!' I was about 12 years old at the time (1992) so based on this I bought the anime on VHS by saving the money my mom gave me to play arcade games. It took a long time to save up, but I got an older neighborhood kid to take me to Suncoast so I could buy it and man it was worth it. It's a cartoon but it's violent ...more
Chaunceton Bird
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-hi-fi
An action-packed end to an action-packed hexology(?). A satisfying conclusion to one of the greatest graphic fiction stories ever printed.
the gift
well I finished it, ambivalent, impressed, but not as caught up as some other manga- perhaps had I read this before seeing the film, before having read other manga, sentiment alone would rate this higher. do give it as a series somewhere between three and four. high if I want manga, low if I want just any sort of literature...

the book series contains more than the movie, and as recommended read this quickly, saw this as a movie, the version I had seen years ago seems to contain only a few volume
Maria
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I AM SO SHOOK.
So apparently all this madness has been a part of mankind’s evolution? Of a greater cosmic good??? HOW?
What a phenomenal, thought provoking piece of art. Honestly, I think this should be considered classic and studied in school.
10/10 would recommend.
James
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
(For Akira books 1-6)

When the blurb says that this series is "one of the greatest works of graphic literature ever", I can assure you that it's no exaggeration... but then again, I'm probably pretty biased because Akira (the anime) has been my favourite film since forever.

Akira is something on a scale I've never seen before. 2000 pages of lush detail, fast-paced and almost palpable action and some meta-physical nonsense mark it as a true epic. I don't even want to begin thinking about how long i
Paul
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
ダンカン
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mangas
One of the Best Manga Science Fiction Ever Published. If there is one thing when it comes to anime, people will always remember Akira. When it comes to manga, this is a one read people should invested on. I love Akira personally because of its sheer epic story of man versus Godhood and any thing that writes about power, this is the book people of all reader types should read.

30 years ago in 1992, an explosion in Japan cause the beginning of World War III. In 2028, Tokyo has become Neo-Tokyo, a
jeremiah
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
So. Good.

Was only planning on finishing Volume 5 last night before bed, but stayed up to finish this last volume. The tone of the story changes significantly about a third to maybe halfway through the series. More... psychedelic? Definitely more apocalyptic. At first I wasn't sure I liked the changes... ended up really liking the story though. The movie is only so loosely related to these graphic novels...

Glad to have finally read these in their entirety.
Alejandra
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ohana, cómic-manga
100% recomendable.
Fluffyroundabout
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This series is unparalleled. Don’t procrastinate. Don’t think twice. Read it.
Kristina Feeney
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, comics, library, sci-fi
Very satisfying end.

Althought, like most books like this I would like to see more of the aftermath. What happens? How do they rebuild? How do they prosper?
Naomi
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
That was fucking heavy.
Joel Sundquist
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can absolutely say that this entire story is a masterpiece.
Paul Dilley
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow
Dan
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The movie was very influential on me when I saw it as a kid years ago, and the manga does not disappoint. Although the movie is dazzling, this 2000+ page comic book is better in every way. There is more depth to its treatment of the story and the characters and when things get cosmic, as they often do towards the end, coherence is not lost in a sea of explosions and geysers of blood as in the movie. The artwork is just as stunning here, though I would of course prefer to see the images moving an ...more
Helmut
Feb 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, japan
Musste es so enden?

Tetsuo kann seine Kraft nicht mehr kontrollieren: Die Spontanmutationen, die ihn quälen, sprengen jedes Vorstellungsvermögen und treiben ihn in den Wahnsinn. Gemeinsam versuchen die anderen Mutanten mit Hilfe aller anderen Protagonisten, ihn vor dem totalen Ausbruch der Katastrophe zu bewahren - inklusive der Bomberflotte und Kampfsatelliten der Amerikaner, und dem so harmlos wirkenden Akira...

Ja, meine Zusammenfassung oben hört sich sehr verwaschen und ungenau an. Leider lies
Eric
Mar 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
(I read Akira in one huge go over a weekend, so I will be cutting and pasting this review for all 6 volumes)

Akira is an epic work of science fiction sequential art. The storyline is complex and consistent. There is social commentary, ethical musing, and morality woven through an action packed storyline of science gone wrong. The "romance" portion of the story is believable as well. The two characters are drawn to one another over time, and the world doesn't stop for them to wallow in their newfo
Lucas
Feb 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The last half or third of this series is not as good as the earlier parts, and starts to get repetitive- how many times is Neo Tokyo going to be destroyed, or a giant space laser going to be used ineffectually? The anime version was wise to condense the later parts down. The conclusion is unsatisfying, clearly there wasn't a plan from the beginning of the series to where anything was going and Otomo just bestows the god powers of the author onto his characters to have any kind of ending at all.

W
Marcos Francisco Muñoz
Lo terminé. Y estoy seguro que lo leeré de nuevo muy pronto.

"AKIRA" es más que un manga (y que el anime que fue producido en el '89). La historia es tan absorbente que la españolísima traducción (de los primeros tomos, al menos) no me distrajo en absoluto. Se puede observar la evolución del arte de Otomo, debido a que el manga se publicó desde el '82 al '91, mismo que va desde lo excelente a lo absolutamente impecable.

Reseñar esta obra es algo que amerita más que un ensayo. Y no tengo el talent
Sam
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I opened a page of this book late last night, and went to bed an hour or so later, having finished this final volume of Akira. Volume 6 didn't sweep me away as thoroughly as some earlier parts, but the epic scale and frenetic climax certainly overwhelmed my ability to put down Otomo's masterpiece. It's extremely difficult to keep conflicts relevant and believable past a threshold of scale and destructive potential. I prefer the life-sized battles of the earlier books, but came away satisfied wit ...more
Chris Drew
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is great. Nonstop action threaded through with thoughtfully constructed characters, dialogue, and plot. The art is rich and detail filled, and (it might be odd to mention but...) this book (and series) have the best comic book onomatopoeia I have ever encountered. Never has a book felt like so much of an auditory experience. If you are looking for an action packed sci-fi trip that doesn't feel completely shallow this is it.

But you will absolutely want to read this series in order. The
Novoa W. Albert
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing manga, it makes your head explode, a post apocalyptic story full of explosions, mass destruction and blood to black and white, and all of this revolves around a story of friendship.. I'll never forget:
- Tetsuo!
- Kaneda!..
 Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ
The BEST manga I've ever read. The GREATEST manga I've ever experienced. Mr Otomo is a master!
Jesse
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Best manga i've ever read. Dated, but amazing. So are a lot of things. If you've seen the movie, forget about it. The movie is a trailer for the comic. Brilliant.
Piotr
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
boy, that was fun reread, after a decade... still one of the most epic SF ever created.
What is Akira really about, and what does it mean to you? 1 16 May 22, 2014 08:58PM
  • PLUTO: 浦沢 直樹 x 手塚 治虫 005 (Pluto, #5)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 4 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #4)
  • Blame!, Vol. 10
  • Appleseed, Vol. 1: The Promethean Challenge
  • Planetes, Volume 2 (Planetes, #2)
  • 鉄コン筋クリート[Tekkon KinKurîto ] All in One (Tekkon Kinkreet Complete)
  • Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 9: Echo of the Assassin
Katsuhiro Otomo (大友 克洋, Otomo Katsuhiro) is a Japanese manga artist, film director, and screenwriter. He is perhaps best known for being the creator of the manga Akira and its anime adaptation, which are extremely famous and influential. Otomo has also directed several live-action films, such as the recent 2006 feature film adaptation of the Mushishi manga.

Katsuhiro Otomo was born in the former to

Akira: 6 Volumes (6 books)
  • Akira, Vol. 1