Start by marking “Akira, Vol. 3” as Want to Read:
Akira, Vol. 3

Akira, Vol. 3 (Akira: 6 Volumes #3)

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  6,389 Ratings  ·  143 Reviews
In the 21st century, the glittering Neo-Tokyo has risen from the rubble of a Tokyo destroyed by an apocalyptic telekinetic blast from a young boy called Akira -- the subject of a covert government experiment gone wrong now imprisoned in frozen stasis. But Tetsuo, an angry young man with immense and rapidly growing psychic abilities, has done the unthinkable: he has release ...more
Published July 10th 2001 by Dark Horse Manga (first published September 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Akira, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Akira, Vol. 3

Jedi JC Daquis
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was seriously ready to give this volume of Akira three stars. Akira's political elements, these huge government experiment-gone-wrong cover-up and opposition vs. terrorist stuff has been a staple for super soldier themed sci-fi stories. So yeah, just three stars. But then it became so exceedingly good in the homestretch. Man, that was some crazy sh*t! It isn't that unexpected from the story perspective, this (view spoiler) ...more
Maja Shinigami
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, favorites
Chiyoko kicks ass.
Javier Muñoz
Mar 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Va bajando el nivel narrativo según va aumentando la cantidad de relleno... es un relleno visualmente espectacular y con altas dosis de acción, con lo cual es áltamente disfrutable, pero realmente para seguir la historia habría bastado con leerse las primeras y las últimas 30 páginas del tomo.

En resumen en este tomo se nos cuentan los problemas que empieza a tener el coronel para mantener su puesto de mando, el inicio de un estado policial y/o golpe de estado en neo-tokio y la lucha entre distin
Jenna
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this one! There were some new characters introduced. I'm interested to see what happens with all the old and new characters in the next volume.
Timothy Morrow
Oct 03, 2015 rated it liked it
A fun game of capture the flag. If, of course, the flag was a psychic-child with the power of an atomic bomb. Overall a fun read.
Dominick DeSeta
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just When I Thought Akira Couldn’t Get Better
Spoilers for the beginning of the book

The first volume of Akira immediately hooked me on a tale of rivalry, youth, and the paranormal. The second volume of Akira baffled me with beautifully orchestrated fighting sequences and the stress of imminent danger. The third volume of Akira ended up crushing my expectations by exceeding its predecessors, and the masterpiece of manga now stands as the most breathtaking and engaging piece of literature I have e
ダンカン
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mangas
One of the Best Manga Science Fiction Ever Published. If there is one thing when it comes to anime, people will always remember Akira. When it comes to manga, this is a one read people should invested on. I love Akira personally because of its sheer epic story of man versus Godhood and any thing that writes about power, this is the book people of all reader types should read.

30 years ago in 1992, an explosion in Japan cause the beginning of World War III. In 2028, Tokyo has become Neo-Tokyo, a
Justin (JustinisWesley) Mackie (andnotDavid)
Insane! Best science fiction graphic novel series that has now a place in my heart. I want to say more, but I do not have the time. I'm too busy ordering the Vol. 4!
Chauncey Bird
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-hi-fi
More action-packed fast-paced story.
Corey Pool
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
HOLY F*%K! This book is AMAZING. I can't put it down. What a thrill ride! I cannot wait to see what happens in Vol. 4, 5, 6!
Yash
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
What happened to kaneda, in the end?
Frank Deschain
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Maybe the best reading experience ever. I haven't finished the series yet, of course, but the merging of martial law, religious cults, and violent gangs of the future propels the storyline that reads at a breakneck pace. Nerd nirvana:play the soundtrack as you read it. I may wait until volume 6 to save words for the review, but I can't make any promises.
Scott Lee
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really wanted to give this volume a five, but the five given the first two represents such a tremendously high standard...and this one isn't quite as good. It is, in the way of subjective things, probably as good as many books/comics I've given fives to over the years I've been rating here, but it's not an Akira five...if that makes any sense at all. If it doesn't, well...too bad. It's my review.

The art continues at a level of consistent quality and detail that I still find unmatched in any m
James
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The half-way point, some writers would be content with just what happens up to this point and slotting in a neat conclusion to the proceedings.

Thankfully this is not the end. This and volumes One and Two are really just a well-worked launch pad for what happens next.

And one of the best things in the handling of the narration? One of the central characters doesn't make an appearance until near the very end. In a few short pages a whole story is told. Well done, Katsuhiro Otomo. I didn't realise
Camilo
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Espectacular final de tomo!!
Spencer D.
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Thrill-Chasing Akira Vol. 3

Our heroes start by with, unknowingly, carrying the heart of destruction that caused turmoil in every major city around the world, Akira. Akira’s previous volumes have just continued to build up this Akira figure. In this volume, we finally see everything converge, with everything built up, finally, in motion. Every character known will somehow directly or indirectly interact with each other. Because Katsuhiro Otomo’s Akira 3 has fantastic art, engaging interaction
Christian Ragnacci
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Christian Ragnacci
Excitement, Suspense and Depth (Akira: Volume 3 - Book Review)
The suspenseful, thrilling, chaotic story that is “Akira: Volume 3” is a great book. After reading it, I really love the book. It has a great story and interesting characters. From volumes 1 and 2, characters return like Kaneda, Kei, Chiyoko, Nezu, Colonel, Akira, Ryu and more. Akira has awakened, and everyone is trying to go after him and contain him. Many want to stabilize Akira to prevent any catastrophic events
William Tung
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Max Ostrovsky
A manga series called Akira and coincidentally enough, has a character called Akira - what are the odds?
The movie had too little Akira and for the story the movie told, it worked. Now with this manga series, I am just impressed. Akira, the character, just gets cooler and weirder and always leaves me wanting more more more!
And I am totally loving all the new characters that didn't make it to the movie.
If you were to look up 'Bad-Ass' in the dictionary, it would define it as Chiyoko. What an am
Alexander Engel-Hodgkinson
4.6/5

The action keeps getting bigger and bigger, as does the scale. The intrigue and internal politics reaches a breaking point that brings them all together in a really fun way, complete with a slam-bang ending that ranks this volume pretty high up, and definitely brings the series to an insane mid-point. A lot of new stuff this time around, although a lot of the imagery is quite familiar for someone who saw the movie first. But like I've said in my reviews for the first two volumes: despite th
Brynna
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
These are some of the most incredible graphic novels I've ever read in my life. If you are looking for something that contains depth of character, well developed storyline, incredible imagination, and spectacular art, you've found it. Akira pulls no punches and is not interested in playing it safe - it'll grip you from start to finish and have you itching for more.

I highly recommend pacing yourself with these. I was so excited to read the next one that I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Bec
Andrew Kyle Bacon
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
AKIRA only gets better as it goes. The characters develop, the plot becomes more intricate, and the art gets more and more polished. The detail in many of the panels is incredible. This is an incredible improvement over the first two volumes. The last sixty pages of this book are some of the most cinematic and beautiful panels I've ever seen in a graphic novel. The revelation of AKIRA is stunning to behold. Vol. 4 can't arrive soon enough.
Kevin
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I don't know if it's simply down to the version that I read and the lack of coloring but there was way too much going on and there were several pages where I just didn't know what was going on. There was definitely a cool moment at the end that wowed me and I followed the overall plot but I personally like to get into details and I found this lacking through the scenes portrayed. A definite drop in story for my tastes but I'll continue on.
Emily
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
It's getting better! I'm getting better at reading it!

I especially loved the illustrations of Neo-Toyko near the end of the volume.

Still spent some of my reading time confused: so many different groups doing things for reasons I'm not sure about. I'm pretty sure I'm not entirely following. Feels like a little more action and less chatting (if that can be believed) than previously.
Vaughn
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Up to this point this series has been an intense read. Very fast paced and clear, with many interesting characters, illustrations, and a fantastic story. I can't see this series going too downhill from such a consistent start, if at all, and highly recommend it.
Social_Sloth
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
jeremiah
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Now we've entered uncharted territory... Quickly realized that I had never read this far into the series before... for some reason I thought I'd read all but the last two volumes... damn there's a lot left :)
Sarah Giffen
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
As to be expected, things are really starting to ramp up. There is a lot more action as everyone rushes to get their hands on Akira, who still seems to be in a dazed state from suddenly being woken from his cold sleep.
Andy
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The last 30ish pages of this volume had some of the coolest stuff I'd ever seen.
Andrew
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Man, shit just keeps getting worse with each volume so far, starting off post-apocalyptic/dystopian and ending with another apocalypse! Still a very engaging series, very entertaining and thrilling!
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 3 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #3)
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 004 (Pluto, #4)
  • Ghost in the Shell (Ghost in the Shell, #1)
  • 鉄コン筋クリート[Tekkon KinKurîto ] All in One (Tekkon Kinkreet Complete)
  • Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 13: The Moon in the East, the Sun in the West
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 06: Angel Of Death (Battle Angel Alita)
  • Planetes, Volume 2 (Planetes, #2)
Katsuhiro Otomo (大友 克洋, Otomo Katsuhiro) is a Japanese manga artist, film director, and screenwriter. He is perhaps best known for being the creator of the manga Akira and its anime adaptation, which are extremely famous and influential. Otomo has also directed several live-action films, such as the recent 2006 feature film adaptation of the Mushishi manga.

Katsuhiro Otomo was born in the former to
More about Katsuhiro Otomo

Akira: 6 Volumes (6 books)
  • Akira, Vol. 1
  • Akira, Vol. 2
  • Akira, Vol. 4
  • Akira, Vol. 5
  • Akira, Vol. 6

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
  • The Curiosity
  • Virtual Light
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Busted Flush (Wild Cards, #19)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Axe and the Throne (Bounds of Redemption, #1)
    $9.99 $3.49
  • Midnight Curse (Disrupted Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Delphi Effect (The Delphi Trilogy #1)