Start by marking “Akira, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Akira, Vol. 1

Akira, Vol. 1 (Akira: 6 Volumes #1)

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  17,397 Ratings  ·  522 Reviews
The science fiction tale set in 2019 in Tokyo after the city was destroyed by World War III, follows the lives of two teenage friends, Tetsuo and Kaneda, who have a consuming fear of a monstrous power known as Akira.
Published December 26th 2000 by Dark Horse (first published September 21st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Akira, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Sean No, the characters are all drawn rather realistically (male and female) and wear realistic clothes.
For instance, I assume because you mean female…more
For instance, I assume because you mean female over-sexualisation, the main female character Kaori wears, a lot of the time, big jackets, a t-shirt and either jeans, pants or regular shorts.

There are some sexual references but nothing excessive or gratuitous and definitely nothing that could be considered fan-service or out of place within the storyline.(less)
Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane SatrapiPreludes & Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman
Best Graphic Novels
2,612 books — 5,729 voters
Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga Book Ever
951 books — 3,462 voters

More lists with this book...

Eisnein
Akira: And A Boy Shall Rule Them All... Badly. A Boy Whose Head Contains A Supernova

description

'Akira' and 'Lone Wolf and Cub' were among the first complete manga masterpieces to be published in English, and despite the mirror-imaging, were very similar to their original tankobon incarnations. Katsuhiro Otomo's SF-classic 'Akira' -- as well as it's equally brilliant predecessor, 'Domu' -- revolutionized Japanese comics. It introduced realistic, incredibly detailed artwork that merged a far more subtle m
J.G. Keely
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Like many, I read comics as a child, but I was not avid--never a collector--and it was not until I became an adult and returned to comics that I began to look at what they can be, and the stories they can tell. Whatever avidity I lacked then, I have since made up for, becoming an incidental snob for European comics.

Similarly, despite my familiarity as a child with Japanese anime, it is only in recent years that I have returned to that tradition. I watched Dragonball, Sailor Moon, and Ronin Warri
Brad
Nov 29, 2011 rated it liked it
If I hadn't seen the film version of Akira way back in the late eighties, at a midnight screening at our local Indy theatre (run by the crazy Swede my Dad hated for selling us a nicked table), and if I hadn't watched it repeatedly over the next twenty some years, I'd have read this manga this week with complete disdain. But the movie, luckily, is a masterpiece, and it is based on the full six part manga, so I have some sense of where Akira is going and what makes it worth while.

As a stand alone
Sam Quixote
Feb 05, 2014 rated it liked it
“KANEDAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!”
“TETSUOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!”

That’s basically the extent of my memory of Akira, an anime movie I watched when I was 9. So I was interested to learn that it’s also a critically acclaimed comic that’s hailed as one of the finest the medium has ever created. First published in 1982, the comic predates the film by 6 years though interestingly both were created by one man, the visionary artist Katsuhiro Otomo, who was an astoundingly young 28 years old when this book was first publis
Jedi JC Daquis
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you are reading this review, there might be a possibility that you may have watched the movie and probably thinking if it is just a condensed version of the manga. So I'll start my review with that. Bear in mind though that Akira has six volumes, thus I don't know the whole scope of the similarities and the differences.

So, is the manga the same with the anime? Yes and no. The manga is way more extensive than the movie. Key plot points in the comics are also there in the movie so that the lat
Nate D
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: motorcycle delinquents and manipulating politicians
Recommended to Nate D by: teen anime viewing
So apparently I'm doing this manga thing right now. Like many people, I was dazzled by the film version of this as a teen. Now, finally, I'm reading it, and it promises much more (welcome) development. A lot of the tropes are familiar -- post-destruction-of-tokyo, teen rebellion, ill-advised tapping of uncontrollable power -- but this distinguishes itself in a lot of ways:

-Though originally serialized like most manga, it's almost impossible to tell -- the plotting seems that cohesive and fully-
Dov Zeller
I can see why this is a classic, and it has a lot going for it in terms of style, pacing, art and sheer epic-ness of story. On the other hand, the manic intensity just gets exhausting and old and it is very hard to care about the anti-heroic (to a fault?) protagonists, Tatsuo and Kaneda, who are pretty creepy and dull.

I've never been interested in material whose drama is exclusively to be found in frenetic activity. I need at least something else to draw me in besides fast motorcycles and explod
R. Kitt
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5-5 stars

At 2:17P.M. on December 6th, 1992, a new type of bomb exploded over the metropolitan area of Japan.
9 hours later World War III began.

38 years later became Neo-Tokyo.

Several teenagers (trouble making friends) end up at the old bomb site and one of them crashes into an unknown, wrinkled looking kid with 'special abilities', and then the story gets rather crazy.
Newton Nitro
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
(Resenha da Série Inteira)

Só quem foi adolescente nos anos 80, e que era completamente nerd com a paranoia nuclear e a Guerra Fria, como eu era, pode entender como foi marcante assistir aquele anime maravilhoso naquela época, naquele tempo. A possibilidade de um apocalipse nuclear era mais concreta do que a cadeira esquenta o meu traseiro nesse momento. Eu, na minha piração nerd adolescente, usava essas narrativas pós-apocalípticas como guias de sobrevivência, com aquela visão de “o que eu faria
Petros
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
VALUE SECTION: 10/10
Analysis: Historical Value 3/3, Rereadability 3/3, Memorability 4/4

Amongst the most classic manga titles of all times, Akira has passed in history as one of the best dystopian/apocalyptic titles of all times, not only because of its detailed artwork but also because of its themes, angst-ridden characters, and grotesque action/transformation scenes.

ART SECTION: 8/10
Analysis: General Artwork 2/2, Character Figures 1/2, Backgrounds 2/2, Readability 2/2, Visual Effects 1/2

I m
Javier Muñoz
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Visualmente espectacular, se lee en un suspiro y la historia, oscura y vertiginosa, está muy bien planteada.

En este tomo pasan muchas cosas y parece que ya se encarrila toda la trama, así que me da a mí que en los próximos tomos habrá mucho relleno, en todo caso, continuaré porque este tomo me ha resultado muy entretenido y para mi, después de haber visto la película unas cuantas veces, esta es una de mis cuentas pendientes en el mundo del cómic en general y del manga en particular, además como
Andy Karlson
Oct 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: post-apocalypticists
What I learned from this book: Psychokinesis is rad, but don't do drugs in a vain attempt to control your burgeoning powers: it'll only make things worse.

This ...I can't even call it a comic book--its 6 books take up more than a foot of my shelf space--this epic tome is almost too much to write about. It encompasses at least two Apocalypses, it grapples with huge themes and issues, leaves the reader to do much of the heavy lifting, demands multiple readings, and is just insanely detailed and be
Roger Bailey
I had to debate myself about whether I should really rate this book at all. That is because I am not really rating it on its content, at least not on the content as it was meant to be accessed. I am blind and downloaded this book from OpenLibrary.org. They have scanned many books and protected Daisy versions are available for print impaired people. I downloaded it based on a brief glance at the synopsis and didn't realize that it was a graphic novel. I have no idea how well the pictures were ren ...more
Lisa
Apr 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I haven't read any Manga before so this is new to me and it did take a bit of getting used to - I did get a bit lost in places. I think I need to pay more attention to the pictures rather than relying on the words for all the info as I would normally.
I enjoyed it though and will order volume 2 from the library right now!
Helmut
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, japan
Wer oder was ist Akira?

Diese Frage wird in diesem Band leider nicht geklärt, dafür bekommt man eine äußerst dichte, sehr atmosphärische Geschichte präsentiert. "Neuromancer" meets "A Clockwork Orange", und ein guter Schuss "Blade Runner" ist auch mit drin - eine sehr gelungene Mischung. Bereits nach wenigen Seiten ist man in der Geschichte drin und wird immer tiefer hineingezogen.

Die Zeichnungen unterstützen den Erzählfluss und stellen eine heruntergekommene, gespaltene Gesellschaft in einem fi
Rebecca McNutt
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This strange sci-fi dystopian manga takes place in Neo-Tokyo, a thriving city built from the ruins of Tokyo after World War Three. But Tetsuo and Kaneda, two punk teens in a biker gang, find themselves caught up in government corruption, scientific experimentation, paranormal power and frightening secrets when they encounter the obscure truths of Akira.

Just who or what is Akira? Well, this first volume is much more detailed than the 1988 animated film adaptation, to say the least, and it was in
Andrew
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, manga
The "edgy" antisocial vibe hasn't aged particularly well, but the art is timeless. Otomo draws bodies in motion better than any other cartoonist I can think of, and the extended chase sequence in the middle of this volume is an absolute masterpiece. I'm excited to keep reading this series, and hoping it develops more of the political/moral/emotional weight that's hinted at underneath the layers of nihilist chic.
Germancho
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
Awesome art, incredibly fast-paced. I read it in one sitting, but it kept me tense the whole time. Watching the movie before reading it is a must, in order to understand all the craziness going on.
Kristy
Definitely worth reading for graphic novel junkies. Otomo's style is cinematic, has action-packed flow, and full of stark visual contrast - which is great because sometimes manga is crowded and difficult for my eyes to process. I'm glad it's in the original 8.5 x 11" magazine printing, which is way better than the standard paperback book size manga is often collected in here in the US.

Akira was definitely begging to be made into an anime, which I currently haven't seen. It has a great sci-fi co
William E.
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reread of the classic.
Jay Kristoff
Jan 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Set in the post-apocalyptic city of Neo-Tokyo, Akira is a sprawling epic that centers around two childhood friends: a brash, loud-mouthed antihero named Kaneda, and his quiet second fiddle Tetsuo, who, through a series of clandestine government experiments, finds himself the wielder of vast and destructive psychic powers.

The book begins as a slick, cyberpunk style tale, and ends as a dystopian survival story in the shell of Neo-Tokyo’s ruins. Along the way, Otomo explores the issues of friendshi
David Bjelland
Breakdown by content:

Characterization: 10% (it does not take much space to make a brash, lechy little punk look like a brash, lechy little punk)
Plot setup: 20%
Panting: 20% (see below)
Chase scenes: 50% (This is actually sort of a superhero comic where everyone's superpower is to dodge bullets, fall from great heights, and skid off of motorcycles without any real damage)

Still, an enjoyable setup with some nuggets that should be interesting to anyone who watched the movie first. Ex: did NOT really
Michael Finocchiaro
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
One of the genre-defining classics of manga, Akira is 100% adrenaline rush cover to cover. Beautifully drawn with fascinating characters, it is the unavoidable stop on your road to anime goodness!
Gabriela Ventura
Há narrativas que são impossíveis de serem desassociadas de seus locais de nascimento, e do contexto histórico específico em que foram criadas. Isso não faz delas obras menos universais, mas na hora da engenharia reversa você consegue entender muito bem como é que os elementos e influências se transformaram no produto final. Em resumo: tem coisas que só o Japão faz por você. Akira é, sem dúvida, uma delas.

Quando se joga num caldeirão a estética cyberpunk, o trauma da bomba atômica, da destruição
Felipe Oquendo
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lidos-em-2017
Grande mangá. Como a maioria dos ocidentais, eu primeiro assisti estupefato ao filme, que estava na sessão "animação" da locadora, ao lado de clássicos da Disney. O choque foi enorme, ainda mais eu sendo criança, com o que contribuiu a condensação talvez excessiva da história.

Mas o filme deixou impacto, e mais velho voltei a ele, reconhecendo a obra prima que de fato é. Agora, com o lançamento de uma edição definitiva do mangá no Brasil, tive finalmente o prazer de ler o primeiro volume, que de
Joshua
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love everything about this book. The characters are unique physically and their personalities are always dynamic. But what I love most of all is how beautiful this book is. Every page, every frame of this graphic novel is a carefully planned work of art. I feel totally immersed in this world, and even though I tend to despise dystopian fiction there's something about teenage biker gangs interact with a government organization that handles psychokinetic individuals that just...damn. I fucking l ...more
Maija
3.5 Stars, a solid beginning. Rich world with hints of the bigger backstory. Very few female characters, though.

I read this series in my teens, but hardly remember anything but the names of the characters.

The Finnish editions are published in a different amount of volumes than the original Japanese tankoubon. This was very evident in how abruptly this first volume ended: it didn't really feel like an ending point. I think there are 6 volumes in the original, and 12 volumes in the Finnish edition
Jenna
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this! I wasn't 100% sure that it would be my cup of tea given what it was about but I have heard such great things about it that I wanted to give it a shot. I loved all the characters that were introduced. I can't wait to see how the story progresses.
Chauncey Bird
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-hi-fi
Cyberpunkalicious detail make this original story an engrossing adventure of action and intrigue.
Gustavo Penha
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am really looking foward to read the rest of the series to give a final rating...
Book Review: Akira, Volume 1 1 1 Oct 31, 2017 11:25AM
IGGPPC Iggle Book...: January 2016 Manga: Akira, Vol. 1 3 13 Jan 26, 2016 11:17AM
Manga Manga Manga: Akira 2 8 Apr 01, 2015 02:48PM
Live action soon....NO. Thoughts? 25 52 Jul 18, 2014 03:56AM
She-Geeks: March's Read: Akira 4 23 Mar 30, 2014 09:20PM
Josei and Seinen ...: Akira Discussion 7 9 Mar 11, 2014 02:19PM
  • Ghost in the Shell (Ghost in the Shell, #1)
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 007 (Pluto, #7)
  • 鉄コン筋クリート[Tekkon KinKurîto ] All in One (Tekkon Kinkreet Complete)
  • Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 1: The Assassin's Road (Lone Wolf and Cub, #1)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 1 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #1)
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 01: Rusty Angel
  • Planetes, Volume 1 (Planetes, #1)
  • Blade of the Immortal, Volume 1: Blood of a Thousand
  • Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 1 (Eden: It's an Endless World, #1)
  • Dororo, Vol. 1
Katsuhiro Otomo (大友 克洋, Otomo Katsuhiro) is a Japanese manga artist, film director, and screenwriter. He is perhaps best known for being the creator of the manga Akira and its anime adaptation, which are extremely famous and influential. Otomo has also directed several live-action films, such as the recent 2006 feature film adaptation of the Mushishi manga.

Katsuhiro Otomo was born in the former to
More about Katsuhiro Otomo...

Akira: 6 Volumes (6 books)
  • Akira, Vol. 2
  • Akira, Vol. 3
  • Akira, Vol. 4
  • Akira, Vol. 5
  • Akira, Vol. 6

“Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter...No Women's Bathroom” 4 likes
“What a disgrace! They were afraid...ashamed...they chose to conceal it...they buried the roots of a Great Civilization...they lacked the courage to go further...and turned their backs on what science had to offer them...and tried to seal away forever the hole they had torn open with their own hands.” 2 likes