Start by marking “Akira, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Akira, Vol. 2

Akira, Vol. 2

(Akira: 6 Volumes #2)

The science fiction tale set in 2019 in Tokyo after the city was destroyed by World War III, follows the lives of two teenage friends, Tetsuo and Kaneda, who have a consuming fear of a monstrous power known as Akira.
Published April 3rd 2001 by Dark Horse (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Akira, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Jedi JC Daquis
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You just cannot put this book down. Akira's second volume is pure, non-stop action from start to end. I love how Katsuhiro Otomo brings in all the characters and play their part without making the reading experience overcrowded. Even without the film as a reference, this book is oozing with cinematic appeal.

Now I can really say that there's a huge difference between the manga and the movie. Again, both still follow the main plot points but the smaller details are very different. I can even go as
Coffee&Quasars
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.9 stars.

For fans of: The Men Who Stare at Goats; Dennis the Menace; Dragon Ball Z; The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

Avoid if: you’re a member of the Neo-Tokyo military.
Dennis
Just like the first one this is filled to the brim with action.

The run for Akira starts almost immediately and the narrative moves relentlessly from one action sequence to the other as the characters clash with one another time and again.

I love that cinematic style. It is quite different from my usual reading experience and is a lot of fun. Never have 300 pages flown by as fast as they did here.

The characters are a little less annoying than in the first one. So that's a plus. But unfortunately t
Brian
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"I have had a dream...I dreamed of disaster...A great disaster...one that will alter the world. None of us can stop it. Because destiny cannot be averted...It is fate. Akira is the pawn, as are we all. The day of his awakening draws even closer. Already, events have been set in motion. For you--for your entire people's party--this will be the turning point. It must not catch you unawares (Lady Miyako)."

The second of six volumes. I found it an overwhelming pleasure. The series has become known as
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)
You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

The post-apocalyptic world of Akira is one that has allowed Katsuhiro Otomo to revolutionize the manga and anime industry with his visionary and artistic style. With six volumes that have been loved and praised by many, the story remains iconic no matter its flaws and, without a doubt, holds plenty of reread value. As my adventure in this universe continues in its manga form before tackling the masterpiece that is the anime movie, my mind resolv
Eric
Mar 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
(I read Akira in one huge go over a weekend, so I will be cutting and pasting this review for all 6 volumes)

Akira is an epic work of science fiction sequential art. The storyline is complex and consistent. There is social commentary, ethical musing, and morality woven through an action packed storyline of science gone wrong. The "romance" portion of the story is believable as well. The two characters are drawn to one another over time, and the world doesn't stop for them to wallow in their newfo
Maria
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
AKIRA AWAKENS! Wow, the way the artwork of the underground base, futuristic urban landscapes, spacecrafts and helicopters is done is truly stunning. I’m loving this.
Michelle Curie
The second collected volume of Akira is essentially more of what we got in the opening just with even more action.

The story continues where we left off, even though we are mainly focussed on the hunt for Akira now. We're still not entirely sure who he is at this point, but hearing the fear everyone has of his powers makes you want to find out. Kaneda and Kei are less annoying now, too, but maybe that's just because they are too busy avoiding all the people that are out to take them down.

The que
Sitanan Ketkraipob
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I wouldn't dare to give this series lower than 4 stars considering how much time and effort Otomo put into planning out all the architectural and landscape details. The story are still quite basic post apocalyptic sci-fi, but I guess this must be pretty new for the manga industry back in the 90s. I can see how many manga artists (including my beloved naoki urasawa) would be influenced by him.
Hassan
Oct 30, 2016 rated it liked it
this wasn't as good as the first one, still way better than the movie, and the story takes A LOT of turns
Michael Sorbello
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Most of the problems I had with the first volume are even more prominent in this volume. Lots of action, but the action has no substance, tension or emotional weight as we still don’t know anything about the plot or have any reason to care about the characters.

Most of volume 1 and 2 were just a series of repetitive chase scenes with no tension or reason to care about what happened to the characters. The humor is also very poorly done and placed in the most awkward and unnecessary situations. Th
Rebecca McNutt
It's been a while since I've read a book in the Akira series, but it's still as much of a fantastic adventure as ever. Eerie, intense and deep, this book is a great addition to the series.
ダンカン
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mangas
One of the Best Manga Science Fiction Ever Published. If there is one thing when it comes to anime, people will always remember Akira. When it comes to manga, this is a one read people should invested on. I love Akira personally because of its sheer epic story of man versus Godhood and any thing that writes about power, this is the book people of all reader types should read.

30 years ago in 1992, an explosion in Japan cause the beginning of World War III. In 2028, Tokyo has become Neo-Tokyo, a
Tristen
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Is a solid book apart of a series would recommend to anyone a fan of sci-fi and anime, Its about a young group of kids getting into trouble when one day one of them starts experiencing supernatural powers and is then targeted by the government. It's thrilling and exciting every page I read and you really do want to know what happens next. It also was turned into an important 80s anime film that influenced a lot of anime tv that you might watch today. So even if you don't like sci-fi I would stil ...more
Jenna
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was just as good as the first one. Lots of action and mystery. The ending had a bit of a cliffhanger and I'm interested to see where it goes. I love the villains of this story because I actually dislike them immensely and feel that they make good villains. The other characters are great too. Kaneda might be my favorite.
EME
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Wow.
Chris Hansen
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The scope is so much larger than the film. Fantastic must read.
Rob
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This second volume really ramped up the action. The entire thing was basically a string of action scenes connected with short bits of dialogue. It made for a very fast and exciting read, while still moving the plot along. In the first volume, we were left with a lot of questions, but this did a great job of answering a lot of the big ones while leaving more to discover, so it didn't feel like the reader was being teased along continuously as can happen sometimes in some serialized stories.

I lov
Nate D
Jun 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Otomo's twinned finesse for meticulous architecture and kinetic, gestural character drawings, are, of course, totally amazing. And the story continues to be involving, especially as it really starts to look ahead past the film version which the action here has already nearly caught up to. But, action-packed as this is, it's almost too action packed. Couldn't we pull back a bit and focus on the characters and ideas and side developments a little longer? Plus, the enjoyment of Kaneda as improbable ...more
Germancho
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
Oh boy oh boy things are moving really fast now! Sadly, I read the whole thing in an hour and a half. I guess a later, more calm re-reading will do me good. Also, it was interesting to see that some very memorable scenes from the film weren't based on the source material.
Andrew
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
The Akira story continues, and its just as awesome as the first. Crazy telekinetic powers, secret military plots, and an earth shattering event on the horizon all colour the second volume into a masterpiece. Akira is an absolute classic and should be read by any aspiring graphic novel readers.
Otto
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
This volume's More focused, more splodey (HOW?!), and has more changes from the anime. So pretty much why I started going through these.
Spencer D.
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Big Reveal, Akira Vol. 2
----------------------
.....Two of our main protagonists at their lowest points, locked up in jail in a government facility, kaneda losing all of his gang Ko Tetsuo, losing his best friend, and him and Kei are separated. The threat of Akira and Tetsuo looming constantly while our two protagonists with their lives dwindling on a stick. What could possibly get worse? Akira Volume 2 is a great sequel to Volume 1 managing to expand a lot of the great aspects from the first
Dominick DeSeta
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Akira Vol. 2 Amplifies the Action
*Major Event Spoilers in the First Two Paragraphs*

In the brightly-colored nursery, everything stands still… until a sharp beam of light pierces the ceiling and strikes the ground. After the glass roof shatters, a boy follows the lazer’s path and lands in the nursery. With vengeance in his eyes, the boy points a heavy firearm at the person he used to call his friend. A very abrupt conversation results:
KANEDA. Tetsuo!!
TETSUO. K… Kane… da?
KANEDA. Die!! (Otomo 1
William Tung
Takkun
This is my review of the entirety of the Akira manga.

The classic film Akira has been uttered by the lips of most every anime fan. However those who have read the manga are in a shrinking minority. With any adaptation (especially if you consider yourself a writer) it’s really important to absorb both and look at what was selected and condensed for the adaptation. The manga of Akira has an intense, gripping and action-heavy plot, and much of the movie summarizes the comic very well. However the mo
Alexander Engel-Hodgkinson
4.4/5

This is like a far more detailed and fleshed-out version of about thirty minutes in the film's final half. It's really fascinating to see how the original scenes were reworked between the two mediums, and how different the manga is despite its striking similarities with the film (yes, I'm aware the manga was a little more than halfway completed before the film came out).

Like the first volume, Otomo's artwork is phenomenal. He spared no expense on the details. His characters are lively, the
Andrew Kyle Bacon
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comicbooks
Volume 2 of AKIRA fails to grab the reader quite in the same way that Volume 1 does, and yet it seems overall to be the stronger of these first two part. The characters are all developed with more quite a bit more depth in this volume, and the issues with action continuity between the individual panels (that is, being able to follow the action) is much stronger here. The ending of this second volume is highly engaging, building up to a fever pitch, and the whole volume remains a page-turner. The ...more
Brynna
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
These are some of the most incredible graphic novels I've ever read in my life. If you are looking for something that contains depth of character, well developed storyline, incredible imagination, and spectacular art, you've found it. Akira pulls no punches and is not interested in playing it safe - it'll grip you from start to finish and have you itching for more.

I highly recommend pacing yourself with these. I was so excited to read the next one that I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Bec
John
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
The thing in manga-world where kids, especially younger, weaker-looking kids, possess the most awesome, deadliest superpowers is such a viscerally appealing concept, especially when set in contrast to the authoritarian adult figures. Here that authority figure, Colonel Shikishima, and his youthful antagonist for most of the volume is Tetsuo, who at one point nearly kills the Colonel. But the whole arc of this volume is a build-up to the release of Akira from cold storage deep underground. And Ak ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 007
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 6 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #6)
  • Planetes, Volume 3  (Planetes, #3)
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 05: Angel Of Redemption (Battle Angel Alita)
  • Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 2: The Gateless Barrier (Lone Wolf and Cub, #2)
Katsuhiro Otomo (大友 克洋, Otomo Katsuhiro) is a Japanese manga artist, film director, and screenwriter. He is perhaps best known for being the creator of the manga Akira and its anime adaptation, which are extremely famous and influential. Otomo has also directed several live-action films, such as the recent 2006 feature film adaptation of the Mushishi manga.

Katsuhiro Otomo was born in the former to

Akira: 6 Volumes (6 books)
  • Akira, Vol. 1