Start by marking “Bo's Lasting Lessons: The Legendary Coach Teaches the Timeless Fundamentals of Leadership” as Want to Read:

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  565 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
There are very few coaches held higher esteem than Bo Schembechler. As coach of the University of Michigan football team, he won 13 Big Ten titles and finished as the winningest coach in their storied history. But beyond the wins and losses, Bo is best remembered for the remarkable impact he had on his players and fans alike.

In BO'S LASTING LESSONS, the coach draws on his
Published September 10th 2007 by Business Plus (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Bo's Lasting Lessons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bo's Lasting Lessons

Mike
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Lasting Lessons” is an interesting book and a must for hardcore Michigan football fans. If you are at all familiar with Bo you will quickly notice the book is written in Bo's distinctive voice. To Bo, the world is shaped like a football and this apparent he talks about his lessons; like tips on how to run a business, build personal relationships or, be a good person -- there is always an analogy or a way to connect it to football. The wisdom is folksy and might sound like something your Dad or ...more
Donald Plugge

"Bo's Lasting Lessons" exposes the inner mindset of a successful coach. The story imbues a certain sense of enthusiasm and integrity. Bo Schembechler appears, at first blush, to be a simple and straight forward man, yet the author, John Bacon, brings to light a studied, compound thinker.

The lessons in leadership are exhibited by examples from the coaches career and not presented as a guide. Some of the key points are both unorthodox and, in a way, "good ol' boy". The coach had no interest in be
Kyle
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm an Ohio State fan to the core ,but i'll tell you this book was great. Throughout the book he tells stories about his time in Michigan and the lessons learned through them. This book particularly,I think, has many great examples on how to take charge, how to stand up for whats right, how not to be prideful, and overall teaches you how to be a leader. This book has outclassed most books of its kind and for good reason. Chapter 4, I feel, is one of the strongest chapters I read during the book. ...more
Andy Branham
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my all-time favorite books.
Brian O'Leary
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some great philosophies on coaching and how to do it the right way - instilling in kids ideals that will not only help them be successful in sports but also in life.
CJ
Jan 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: business people, football fans, University of Michigan fans
Shelves: 2008-books
In the interest of full disclosure, I have to say that I received an undergraduate degree from UM ('87) as well as my Masters ('06). I saw Bo Schembechler coach and I remember thinking that he was old school and didn't care who knew it.

When I was a freshman, my mother forced me to buy season football tickets, so I slogged to almost every game that year and sat in the student section. This was about the time the wave was becoming popular and let me tell you, when 100,000+ people start screaming i
Anand Gurunathan
This book was on my "To Read" list for years and finally got a chance to finish it.

Overall it's an easy read. If you want to get into the heads of great coaches and how they lead teams to championships consistently, it is important to understand the philosophies and standards they put in place. It becomes the very culture of the organization they create. This is true for Bo Schembechler or Bill Walsh or Bill Bellichick.

In this book, the key takeaways for me are:

Importance of preparation: Wheth
Chapronrin
Dec 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could easily give this book five stars - I really do love it! Yet it is a tad simplistic but leaving out the technical in a book that was really meant for the business world is not a bad thing. "Bo's Lasting Lessons" was really the documented culmination of all that Bo learned and taught when it came to mentoring and coaching at the University of Michigan, including his stints as UM athletic director and president of the Detroit Tigers. This book came about because the author, John Bacon, was ...more
Lorri Coburn
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
I grew up with Bo Schembechler as a household name, since the University of Michigan football program was all-important to my dad and brothers. As a youngster I admired his ability to develop one of the winningest football teams in the history of college football. As an adult, I stepped away from him, perceiving him as arrogant.

This book gave me back to my childhood hero, as I saw that was could be perceived as arrogance could also be interpreted as an unyielding adherance to excellence. In fac
Doug
Feb 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, biography
Great values to live by, and some entertaining anecdotes about Michigan football. I probably rated the book a little high, but c'mon, it's Bo Schembechler and Michigan Football. During the UM coaching search in early 2011, I thought that the media emphasis on the importance of finding a 'Michigan Man' was overblown. Then I read this:

In 1985, . . . we'd had such a good season, with such a good feeling in that locker room, that our quarterback, Jim Harbaugh, was nervous that maybe the team wouldn'
Paul Caris
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The three biggest things I learned from this book were first of all what it really means to be a michigan man related to the university of michigan football team. It's about character integrity and hard work not about what you are entitled to because of the helmet you wear. I also learned the value of standing for what you believe in. Bo was big on being who he was and not wavering on that even when results weren't there. It didn't mean he couldn't learn but he wasn't out looking for a fad or th ...more
Brady D
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read Bo's Lasting Lessons by Bo Shembechler and John U. Bacon, which is about Bo Shembechler teaching football teams leadership and leading NCAA teams to become champions. He is head coach at the University of Michigan for twenty years starting with almost nothing to train and meet at. Bo coached many All-Americans All-Big Ten players throuout his career.
My favorite part is when they beat their rival, Ohio State, on Bo's first year in 1969. The team had very few workout machines, and no offi
David
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The field of "inspirational" literature is a crowded one, with anyone who has even flirted with fame offering their slant on the path to success. This slim book stands out in that crowd! Mr. Bacon has captured the voice and the essence of Glenn "Bo" Schembechler, the legendary Michigan football coach.

Bo was an honest and ethical man, with a straight-forward approach to life. These "lasting lessons" should be must reading for anyone who would choose to lead other people in any venture; business,
Derek Bycraft
Jan 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever heard Bo Schembechler talk? Did you ever have a personal conversation with him? Chances are, the second one never happened. This book allows it to happen. The entire time reading this book I was either smiling, laughing, crying, and even saying things to the pages as if Bo were speaking directly to me. His ideas presented are definitely old school, roughneck coaching things, but they still apply to many people today. I loved reading this book and never wanted to end it so I could k ...more
Eric
Dec 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: michgan football fans
Shelves: sports
I grew up watching Michigan football. It's cool seeing Bo's perspective on many issues related to leadership. I really enjoyed his stories about old players/coaches. I actually recognized a few names and situations from the mid 80s. This was a pivotal time in developing my "fan-dom", my "sports puberty" if you will... I found it very interesting to read about the method to his madness. I always thought he was just a fiesty old fooball coach. As a Michigan football fanatic this is a must read! Ba ...more
Nick
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
Who better to take leadership advice from than the man that ran U of M football for over 20 years. Bo talks more about leadership and how to lead than Michigan Football. The stories cover the team but the principles could be applied to any team. That was the point of the book I believe. Very few people will lead football programs but use the advice given in this book and your team will be successful in any area. A good read for any person with leadership responsibilities and for a Michigan fan t ...more
Katie
Apr 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this right when I moved to Michigan, as it is a great history of our football program and probably THE most famous football coach for Michigan, Bo Schembechler. Regardless of being a Michigan fan or not it is a great book on coaching, recruiting, motivation, and leadership in general; and all the other pieces that make a great team! So worth it!

We are preparing for our Conference Tournament so I thought I'd get pumped up by Bo!
Marc
Nov 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW! Anyone interested in the history of UM, a football fan, or just someone who wants to be inspired needs to read this book! Everyone needs a Bo Schembechler in their life to make them reach far beyond what's imaginable. As much as you think this book is about football, it's not, it's about so much more. The ability to touch so many peoples lives makes you stop and think about what it is that you as a person is doing to better yourself and the ones around you! Kudos to Bo!
John Schreiner
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great leadership book and wonderful tribute to a great man

Bo says at the beginning of this book that nothing within will be revolutionary, and that was accurate. His insight into leadership was simple and attainable, yet specific and clear enough to be useful. As a Michigan fan, I loved all of the examples and stories, and as a leader I walked away with a renewed vigor. Great book.
Ann
Oct 03, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I truly wanted to like this book because of my deep admiration for Bo as a coach and a leader. However I found that most of the "lessons" put forward were simply common sense - 288 pages worth. That, coupled with the fact that the book is just not very well-written, and I couldn't give it more than an "okay" rating.
Jan 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can almost hear Bo's voice as you read through each page. While this book definitely talks about football, it's centered around leadership and what makes a good leader. It also gave some insight to the history of Michigan football as an organizational whole and why some things are done the way they are.
Ian
Dec 14, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was probably going to like this book, no matter what. Bo Schembechler was an icon in my household, and I never get tired of hearing stories from his coaching days at Michigan. Reading this, I could hear Bo narrating in my mind.

I just wish my dad had been able to read this book. He'd have loved it.
Chris
Aug 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! Well, excellent if you are a Michigan Football fan. Bo tells great stories, and he ties in his views on leadership to each one. The basic leadership qualities and values that he teaches can be taken to all areas of life, not just football, and he makes great strides to show that.
Scott Malik
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

I didn't know much about Bo Schembechler prior to read this book. By reading this book I learned a lot about Bo and life in general. I look forward to reading more about Bo Schembechler. Go blue.
Steven Rowe
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book! A must for any Michigan football fan but also amazing reading for anybody who has to manage people. Bo's approach to his team can be applied to any situation where goals need to be set and people need to be managed.
Matt Papes
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audio book and I highly recommend you do the same. There is so much history in this book...and lessons to be learned from one of the most motivational coaches ever to coach college football. Bo's most famous slogan I take with me every day: Those Who Stay Will Be Champions.
Anna
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful read! Such a simplistic way of conveying fundamentals of leadership. I felt like I was watching a documentary at the same time and it was so incredible to learn more about this man. I realize now I knew very little about him when I attended his memorial in the Big House in 2006.
Nathan Jones
Mar 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stories
a good read, if you can adapt to the conversational tone of coach schembechler. it's best if you've seen interviews of him and can visualize the text being performed.

has some great leadership lessons, especially if you're a football fan.
Kate Tobiczyk
Feb 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to give this book 5 stars....it tells the greatest story ever told....the story of my dad making it big in michigan football. He is the Man.
Steve Swanson
If you lead people in any type of organization, this is a must book
  • Three and Out: Rich Rodriguez and the Michigan Wolverines in the Crucible of College Football
  • The Blueprint: How the New England Patriots Beat the System to Create the Last Great NFL Superpower
  • War As They Knew It: Woody Hayes, Bo Schembechler, and America in a Time of Unrest
  • Swing Your Sword: Leading the Charge in Football and Life
  • Blood, Sweat & Chalk: How the Geniuses of Football Created America's Favorite Game
  • How Good Do You Want to Be?: A Champion's Tips on How to Lead and Succeed at Work and in Life
  • Sun Tzu For Success: How to Use the Art of War to Master Challenges and Accomplish the Important Goals in Your Life
  • Total Access: A Journey to the Center of the NFL Universe
  • The Genius: How Bill Walsh Reinvented Football and Created an NFL Dynasty
  • Beyond Basketball: Coach K's Keywords for Success
  • More than a Game: The Glorious Present and Uncertain Future of the NFL
  • Coach Wooden One-on-One: Inspiring Conversations on Purpose, Passion and the Pursuit of Success
  • The Dark Side of the Game: My Life in the NFL
  • Death to the BCS: The Definitive Case Against the Bowl Championship Series
  • The Essential Smart Football
  • When March Went Mad: The Game That Transformed Basketball
  • Home Team: Coaching the Saints and New Orleans Back to Life
  • The Ones Who Hit the Hardest: The Steelers, the Cowboys, the '70s, and the Fight for America's Soul
“Not making a decision is the worst thing you can do. So long as you feel you made the right decision based on the information you had at that time, there's no need to fret about it. If it fails, you'll know what to do next time.” 12 likes
“For God's sakes, quit worrying about your next job. Just do the best you can at the job you have now, and the offers will come. And when they do, if you have confidence in yourself you don't have to feel that you can't turn it down if it isn't quite right for you because you fear you'll never get another offer. You will. Wait for the right opportunity, and turn down all the rest. It will make all the difference.” 10 likes