Start by marking “The Shaking Woman or A History of My Nerves” as Want to Read:
The Shaking Woman or A History of My Nerves

The Shaking Woman or A History of My Nerves

In this unique neurological memoir Siri Hustvedt attempts to solve her own mysterious condition

While speaking at a memorial event for her father in 2006, Siri Hustvedt suffered a violent seizure from the neck down. Despite her flapping arms and shaking legs, she continued to speak clearly and was able to finish her speech. It was as if she had suddenly become two people: a
Published December 7th 2010 by Picador (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Shaking Woman or A History of My Nerves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shaking Woman or A History of My Nerves

Orsodimondo
Apr 24, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I LUOGHI DELLA MEMORIA
Siri Hustvedt scrive romanzi e poesie, saggi letterari e di critica d’arte, tiene conferenze in Europa America e Australia su questi argomenti, ma anche sulla psicanalisi, visto che a New York insegna per l’appunto storia della psicoanalisi.
Insegna anche scrittura creativa negli ospedali, ai malati, bambini e adulti.

description
La famiglia Auster al completo.

Dall’infanzia è soggetta (o possiede il dono?) a un sistema nervoso in continuo stato di allerta: strani sintomi, allucinazioni
Teresa
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the result of a talk Hustvedt was asked to give as part of a series on Narrative Medicine. It's not a memoir, though its touchpoint is a personal experience of the author, but reads as an extended essay. As with the best of essays, its interest originates from the particular of the personal, then opens up into the general, the universal. Its focus is on the mind-brain conundrum, reaching back into its history and changing cultural meanings, as far back as Wittgenstein and even furth ...more
Marc
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A magnificent book, I cannot formulate it any differently. Mind you, this is not a novel, rather a drawn out essay with an autobiographical focus. After all, Hustvedt describes how, from 2006 onwards, she regularly suffers from sudden, severe tremors, and in the book she describes her years of searching for an explanation and a solution to it.

So this is a very specialized, rather difficult book to read. Hustvedt tells about her wanderings along psychologists, neurologists, brain specialists, and
Susan
Mar 09, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I wish there was a star rating for "didn't finish" or "not what I was after."

I heard the author on an NPR interview and, with my history of severe and constant migraines, though this would be an interesting book. But I expected to hear the author's story, to read about her shaking and her journey and her migraines.

I managed to read to page 92 (of 199) and it is entirely a philosophy book about the mind-body connection with a good dose of physiology thrown in. It's about how culture and medicine
Barbaraw
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Potete leggerlo come un saggio di neurologia o come una autobiografia; potete leggerlo come un'introduzione storica al concetto di malattia psichica ed alla sua evoluzione; potete leggerlo come un altro romanzo di una scrittrice già nota, potete usarlo come bibliografia molto ben selezionata sul cervello, la schizofrenia, l'epilessia o...
Comunque lo leggiate, rimane un testo notevole: attraverso l' esperienza di tremore incontrollabile durante una sua conferenza, Siri Hustvedt esplora il senso d
Sketchbook
Jul 27, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So, OK: you're speaking before a large group of people and you have a kind of panic. Well, duh-. If you have a friendly publisher and MD, you can scribble it all down and soon Sign Books. The
terrific comic playwright, Chris Durang, gives us a hilarious play called "The Actor's Nightmare," wherein an actor doesn't know what play he's in. I was once drafted to give a Talk at a molto prestige 'place,' and, midway, gadzooks, wondered: "What the hell am I saying? I havent a clue." My eyes glazed, my
Gabriela Ventura
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ensaio
Em um misto de ensaio literário, investigação acadêmica e relato pessoal, Siri Hustvedt revisita a própria história médica e seu interesse de décadas sobre o funcionamento do cérebro e da mente. Vários saberes são costurados em um texto de fôlego: literatura, neurociência, psiquiatria, psicologia, psicanálise e filosofia são as ferramentas que Hustvedt usa com habilidade para discutir do que somos feitos - como às vezes funcionamos mal - e o que é isso que chamamos com tanta segurança de "eu".

Laurel Amberdine
On reading the description, this sounds like the author is going to investigate her mysterious shaking disease, discover (and share) fascinating medical tidbits along the way, and presumably come up with a conclusion.

In reality... it's a lot more rambling and personal than that, and not quite as interesting.

After her initial shaking fit, Hustvedt did some research on her own into psychological disorders. She was already working with psychiatric patients, and felt well equipped to do so. She diag
Alta
A very intelligent memoir of illness, in which the author uses deep knowledge from several disciplines--neuroscience, psychoanalysis, literature--and her own experience to discuss the relationship between mind and body. Hustvedt is the best proof that very cerebral people are often also very sensitive (she suffers of numerous nervous afflictions), and that the "mind" and the "body" are inseparable.
Chris
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Siri Hustvedt stond al lang op mijn to-read-list, met name haar romans 'What I loved', 'The sorrows of the American' en 'The blazing world'. In een boekenantiquariaat stuitte ik onlangs echter op 'Een geschiedenis van mijn zenuwen' en besloot daarmee te beginnen.

In zekere zin werd dat een kennismaking met de schrijfster zelf, al rijst het hele boek lang de vraag wat dat 'zelf' precies is. Met een synesthetische overgevoeligheid, een migrainegeschiedenis en 'de bevende vrouw' die in haar ging hui
Justine
I'm glad I read this book; but I probably should have waited for a time when I would have been more focused on it than now! So, I plan to reread The Shaking Woman, Or, a History of My Nerves to fully appreciate, and fully understand everything into it!

Siri Hustvedt mixes her personal story and an essay about neurology/psychology; in fact, she is dealing with a situation she doesn't understand. She does research, and the book is the result of these researches about her personal case. She also wr
Catherine
In 2006, Siri Hustvedt stands to give a short speech at the planting of a tree in memory of her father. As she speaks, she begins to shake, her body from the neck down convulsing as though she is having a fit. From the neck up she is calm, retains her faculty of speech, continues to talk as if her body is not answering some other call. In this book, she sets out to discover who the shaking woman is.

The search passes through neuroscience, psychology, psychiatry, philosophy, theology, poetry, and
Marcia
This was an interesting and thoughtful book, if not exactly what I expected. The title lead me to believe that it would be more of a personal memoir of illness, while, although Hustvedt talks about her life and her shaking incidents somewhat, it focuses more on the history of "hysteria" and the biological vs. psychological views of the human brain. If you are interested in learning about neurology, the history of psychology, and philosophical discussions on the soul, then you will enjoy this boo ...more
Frank Jude
Siri Hustvedt is one of my favorite authors -- living or dead -- and it just seems she's incapable of writing anything uninteresting! This "memoir" touches on philosophy, psychology and consciousness studies through her own experience of an inexplicable experience of uncontrolled shaking that first came upon her while speaking at a memorial for her father. Throughout, Hustvedt explores the meaning of her experience with the aesthetics of the poet and the curious skepticism of the scientist. If o ...more
Iris
May 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2010
Went to a talk at Foyles by Siri Hustvedt about this book and the reason she wrote it. I found listening to her a very interesting experience. She's extremely articulate, intelligent and both engaged and engaging.

The subject of neuropsychology might otherwise be quite dry (and although I have a passing interest in psychology and to a much lesser extent neurology I would never pick up a book about neuropsychology otherwise) but through her writing style and the personal connection it has to her
Kristin
Jul 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a fan of Siri Hustvedt's fiction. This book is a sort of memoir and a sort of science book, an exploration of why she started suffering from a convulsion-type phenomenon. Very interesting, especially if you're interested in how the brain works.
Susanne
Ich bin ein großer Fan von Siri Hustvedt. Sie ist für mich eine Lieblingsschriftstellerin und so war es keine Frage, dass ich auch die zitternde Frau lesen würde, ein Buch, das kein Roman ist, sondern eine Art Abhandlung über psychologische, neurologische, psychologiehistorische Themen.
Ausgelöst wurde dieses Buch durch einen Zitteranfall, den Siri Hustvedt bei einer öffentlichen Ansprache zu Ehren ihres verstorbenen Vaters hatte "Meine Arme zuckten. Meine Knie knickten ein. Ich zitterte so stark
Lisanne
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very interesting read and Hustvedt has a way of making neuroscience and psychiatry understandable for someone who knows not a lot of things about these topics. I really enjoyed how she wrote about Freud as a scientist and was constantly debunking the myth of the sex-and-mother-obsessed couch psychoanalyst everyone has.

This book was recommended to me and I am very very grateful for that. Can't wait to read more of Hustvedt's work.
Andrea
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir-2017
Don't be mislead by the brevity of this book-- it's in fact dense with thoughts on everything from memory to dreams to psychology to neurology. Ms. Hustvedt covers a lot of theories in search for an answer to her sometimes bodily tremors and migraines.
I'll admit I thought this book would be a little more anecdote heavy and less psych/medical theory. But that really just meant I had to focus and pay attention a little more (less bus reading, more library reading).
I recently read Paul Auster's (Ms
Rachel
I found this book in equal parts fascinating and annoying.

I thought it was going to be a chronicle of the author working with the medical system to try to figure out why she shakes, with a lot of directly or tangentially related information on the brain, neuropsychology, and related fields. It is all that, and much of that is fascinating. I did not realize that it was also going to be a literary, intellectual, and philosophical excursion. I don't have much patience with that type of thing; I fi
Steffi
Géraldine
Oct 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essais, usa, psycho, abandons
Je pensais que c'était un roman.. En fait c'est un essai de psycho. Intéressant (comme toujours) mais il faut s'accrocher ! ;)

J'ai du mal à accrocher car tous les symptômes décrits me font flipper absolument ;), même si c'est effectivement très intéressant. Siri Hustvedt commence son livre en décrivant ses propres symptômes (des tremblements proches de l'épilepsie mais qui ne surviennent que dans un cadre bien particulier) et décide de s'étudier et par là d'étudier plus largement les cas de femm
Kasa Cotugno
Siri Hustvedt is an intuitive, exciting writer. Her fiction steams off the page with intriguing plot twists and characterizations that make her one of the most interesting observers of life out there. She evokes her New York settings with verve and firsthand experience. But this introspective journey to track down the source of her seeming seizures falls flat on the page. I started reading with interest, but by half way through, found myself skimming in order to give it a fair review.
Leilani
May 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super interesting story of the author's search to figure out what caused her body to uncontrollably shake while she was giving a speech. Lots of cool medical history since it touches briefly on several different types of neurological disorders that she rules out (including temporal lobe epilepsy, which I have). It always makes me stoked to learn more about these sorts of things! One of the best parts of the book is its work cited list, I got a lot of ideas for books to read from it.
Cerealflakes
Apr 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Siri Hustvedt uses her experiences she has had with uncontrollable "shaking" as a starting point to delve in the history of psychiatry and medical knowledge about the brain. While we never find out why Hustevdt shakes, and neither does she, her research into why she shakes is fascinating. This book is much like an Oliver Sacks book. There is a lot of Hustvedt in it, but also lots of science and stories of others who have experienced "odd" behaviors in their brain.
Lone
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: usa, siri-hustvedt
Siri Hustved takes you on a journey of discovering the connections or lack of them between body and mind and feelings and manages to do this in such a brilliant way that you never feel invaded by her personal story but feel you are in the hands of a very authentic person. I simply loved the way she shares the many different theories with her own thoughts and often very sensible questions.
amanda
Jun 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
It's true that the author rambles and tries to tackle a lot in this relatively short book. I was pulled right in and the mix of personal experience with philosophical, intellectual and medical history really appealed to me. As a person who has struggled with migraine and a one-time inexplicable neurological "episode" I found this book particularly enlightening and cathartic.
Jason Tougaw
Jul 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You'd have to call this a neurobiography. Hustvedt, a novelist, finds herself shaking uncontrollably when she speaks at a memorial for her father--and then at all her speaking engagements. Searching for the cause, she explores both psychoanalysis and neurobiology. Along the way, she asks some fascinating questions about the relationship between mind, brain, body, and self.
Marjorie
While I greatly admire the author's quest and research, I found myself flipping through pages for more of the story and less of the scientific history...I recommend this for people like my friend Linda or my son-in-law Nate who have a good grounding in neuroanatomy and biology.
Angie
Jun 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
This is a fascinating book, although the neuroscientific and philosophical knowledge base required is a bit beyond me. However, book is fascinating study of the "self" and all its permutations.
  • Losing My Mind: An Intimate Look at Life with Alzheimer's
  • Memoir: A History
  • Don't Leave Me This Way: Or When I Get Back on My Feet You'll Be Sorry
  • Life in the Balance: A Physician's Memoir of Life, Love, and Loss with Parkinson's Disease and Dementia
  • Power Concedes Nothing: One Woman's Quest for Social Justice in America, from the Courtroom to the Kill Zones
  • Called To Question:  A Spiritual Memoir
  • In the Shadow of Memory
  • Die Kunst des stilvollen Verarmens
  • We've Got Issues: Children and Parents in the Age of Medication
  • The Palace of the Snow Queen: Winter Travels in Lapland
  • Altered States of Consciousness: A Book of Readings
  • The Scent Trail: A Journey of the Senses
  • Complaints and Disorders: The Sexual Politics of Sickness
  • Swallow: Foreign Bodies, Their Ingestion, Inspiration, and the Curious Doctor Who Extracted Them
  • A Buffalo in the House: The True Story of a Man, an Animal, and the American West
  • Freud: A Life for Our Time
  • Blindsided: Lifting a Life Above Illness: A Reluctant Memoir
  • Jag vill inte dö, jag vill bara inte leva
Hustvedt was born in Northfield, Minnesota. Her father Lloyd Hustvedt was a professor of Scandinavian literature, and her mother Ester Vegan emigrated from Norway at the age of thirty. She holds a B.A. in history from St. Olaf College and a Ph.D. in English from Columbia University; her thesis on Charles Dickens was entitled Figures of Dust: A Reading of Our Mutual Friend.

Hustvedt has mainly made
“Every sickness has an alien quality, a feeling of invasion and loss of control that is evident in the language we use about it.” 64 likes
“Pain is always emotional. Fear and depression keep constant company with chronic hurting.” 50 likes