Start by marking “Kingdom Come” as Want to Read:
Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

This is a novelization of the graphic novel, Kingdom Come, by Mark Waid and Alex Ross. It is the early years of the Twenty-First Century. Without the guidance and values long championed by the old guard -- Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman -- a younger generation of super heroes is ravaging the world. But when the Man of Steel returns from self-imposed exile, his very pres ...more
Published September 1st 1999 by Aspect

To ask other readers questions about Kingdom Come, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kingdom Come

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
This is such a confusing book/review for me. Everything is here that should make me really like or love this book - great reviews and high rating, creative writing, bleakness, a focus on Superman and he's in his full power, interesting storyline - so what was the issue? It was hard to stay focused, easy to put down, and I was happy to have it finished. It's a future story of the dark days ahead of the DC Universe, which should have been difficult for me to relinquish.

The story is told through th
Chris
Feb 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This novel is, of course, based off the outstanding graphic novel done by Mark Waid and Alex Ross, and is its equal in every way. While it may not have the visuals that the comic provided, it adds a depth of detail to the story that the comic simply couldn't reach. For my money, they're both outstanding. And if you can find a copy of the full cast audio book, do it.

So, after that gushing praise, what is it all about?

It's about the darkest days of the super-heroes. The End Times. The unpleasant f
Phillip
May 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Who would have thought that the mysteries held in the apocryphal Revelation of John would foretell the ultimate clash between super heroes and super villains.

Well, these authors would, of course.

Characters from the DC litany of graphic adventures, so numerous that the reader would profit from a copy of “Who’s Who in Detective Comics,” take sides under the mystified gaze of Norman McKay, an aging minister who is called upon the revisit John’s vision as the millennial events roll forth.

Although
Marcus
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love everything about the kingdome come storyline. I would have to give a slight edge to the graphic novel due to Alex Ross' artwork, but this novelization adds details that the graphic novel had to leave out. Read both.
Chris
Dec 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
Adapted by Elliot S Maggin, the Kingdom Come novelization strikes me as less a novel unto itself and more of a bonus feature for those who enjoyed the comic series enough to read almost 400 pages of story retread from a slightly different point of view. I'm afraid that this Kingdom Come novel is not the best showcase for any writer's talents. The story is so locked-in that there is very little room for Maggin to stretch his wings and do anything new or creative. You could argue that this type of ...more
Benedict
Dec 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've read this several times now, and there are a number of things that make it great.

The first is simply the premise: it seriously takes up the question: if superheroes with godlike powers really did live on our world, what might the consequences be -- for them, for normal human beings, and for the planet.

The tragedies and disasters it makes note of are well thought-out, and the cast of characters make sense as a continuation of the hopes, dreams and fears of the Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman,
Neil
I bought this book on a whim from the local library sale. I have read the graphic novel[s] several times, so I thought I might read this to see how the novelization turned out. Overall, it turned out better than I expected. There were some slow spots, but for the most part, it followed the comic books rather well. Obviously, it goes into a different level of depth and detail, on the one hand, than the comics mainly due to the comic panels being loaded with 'Easter eggs' and nods to the fans. The ...more
Paul
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Kingdom Come, how do I love thee, let me count the ways
1. I bought the original graphic novels as they cane out, such brilliant Alex Ross artwork, such a nice setting for the future of DC's mightiest heroes.
2. I bought the hardcover, what a lovely book to add to my shelves, worthy of a display in my living room... but the nephews and nieces better not touch! ;-)
3. I bought the Absolute version... OK, now I'm just going overboard!

This is not the first book I've ever bought multiple versions of, I
Brad
Apr 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: comics junkies.
Shelves: z-2009
I like superhero stories, and this is a story that incorporates just about every DC superhero that I've heard of (and several that I hadn't). It's a novelization of a comic book run, and the comic/graphic novel probably would have been more a little more fun to read. Things felt slow until the last third of the book.

The novel explores a near-apocalypse as the world tries to deal with a large number of "metahumans" and their interactions/fights among themselves. I did enjoy the idea of a world wi
Joe Santella
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
The graphic novel version is perfect, and this novelization is pretty much great. Maggin goes into far greater detail than there is time for in the novelization. This is worth a read if you've already read the graphic novel, loved it, and want more.
Ryan
May 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: superheroes
An adaptation of the Mark Waid/Alex Ross graphic novel. Adds a lot of necessary depth, especially to the POV character of Norman, but is hampered by silted dialogue and descriptions. I wouldn't recommend reading this one on its own, but if you're fond of the GN it's a good enough read.
Gohomelefty
Jul 15, 2011 rated it liked it
This is the novel/paperback version of the big graphic novel, which reads almost the same. I would definitely recommend you invest your money in the graphic novel--Alex Ross' work is truly larger than life--Amazing. And it really contributes a hell of a lot to the story.
Steven
Rereading this recently and really enjoying the added details on the story not accessible in the graphic format. Good job, Elliot.
Mary Wyman
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WOAH
I don't know if it was the storyline, artwork, or both, but this story was . . . I don't know how to describe it, but it was epic.
Overall, I need not say more. Enjoy :)
Brett Thomasson
Mark Waid and Alex Ross's 1996 limited-run series Kingdom Come told the story of a world with beings with great power but without great responsibility. In their near-future impending dystopia, super-heroes were hard to tell from super-villains, as concern for the innocents they were supposed to protect too often loses out to the desire to win battles. "Justice" no longer means apprehension of a wrongdoer, but all too often comes as an execution, and the great names of the past like Superman, Bat ...more
Dave Tindall
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this novel. I love the idea that the next generation of superheroes are out of control and the original heroes have retired. When something catastrophic happens the original heroes have to return to sort it all out.
Pierre Arnette
Nov 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
The book Kingdom Come was written by Elliot S. Maggin and the artwork was done by Alex Ross. This book is about Superman and other heroes such as Batman and Wonder Woman that have given up on being heroes and start to live normal lives, but as time passes on they realize that they are need to come back and be heroes, but it is not an easy road as one would think. I know people might have their objections to reading something like this because of who is in it, but this is no ordinary superhero bo ...more
Stephen
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kingdom Come was a vastly influential comic miniseries, but the novelization is much better. Since the comic pays homage to the Elliott S! Maggin version of Superman, it is fitting that Maggin be the author to translate the story into prose. It's a Twilight of the Gods scenario, with the classic superheroes having renounced their never ending battle, and the world is rocked by unchecked super-powered gang fights waged by young upstart "heroes" who lack the moral code that has always defined long ...more
Jesse
Sep 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3-3.5.

I'm conflicted on the novelization of this seminal graphic novel. On the one hand, Maggin writes with a deft hand, occasionally making the proceedings read almost like "literature," and his portrayal of Norman McCay and the world building sequences are all very good. On the other hand, in the last half it stumbles trying to find an interesting way to describe the (mostly physical) events of the story. In particular, for long stretches the book merely reiterates what already could be gleane
Nathan Burgoine
Jan 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Listening to this one in audiobook was a really solid experience. I thought it was going to be just a fun audibook, and instead it was quite deeper than I thought it would be - the story simple enough, but the themes quite enthralling.

From the back: "It's the early years of the 21st Century. WIthout the guidance and values long championed by the old guard - Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman - a younger generation of super heroes are ravaging the world. Kingdom Come is the story of what defines
Jim
"…it is our dreams that keep us sane. And literature, storytelling, is our collective dream."

Storytelling is much more important than we sometimes think.

It's been so long since I've read the comic book version of Kingdom Come that I can't comment on the Maggin's translation from the comic, but I can say that this adaptation was a good read all by itself. And, it makes me want to pull out my old comics and read Mark Waid's original writing. It's hard to remember what was in the original story an
Joseph Barnes
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"It is the early years of the Twenty-First Century. Without the guidance and values long championed by the old guard -- Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman -- a younger generation of super heroes is ravaging the world. But when the Man of Steel returns from self-imposed exile, his very presence could be the catalyst that pushes us all into Armageddon.".................What happens when superheros stop acting like superheros?...Great book!....I loved it! Nice to see the traditional superheros getti ...more
Cj Tremlett
Mar 18, 2013 rated it liked it
I'm not sure what someone who hasn't read the comics would get out of this. It does provide a nice amount of extra detail and depth to the story. The novel form doesn't seem to be Maggin's strength, though, and if I weren't already a big fan of the comic, this novelization would likely have been pretty irritating. For a fan of the comic, it's worth a read. If you haven't read the comic, read that instead.
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I have read in this genre type and I wasn't sure if I would like it or not. But I have to say I really enjoyed it! I enjoyed reading the story, learning about the Superheroes that I knew of and those that I didn't. I enjoyed the story and actually found myself hooked to it.
I'll definitely try another book in this type!
JM
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
An excellent companion piece to the Graphic Novel. The loss of Alex Ross's astounding artwork is offset by Maggin's deeper look into the characters and the storyline. It's a pretty good novel even if you are very familiar with the source material and it includes a ton of additional information not found in the comic book.
Greg
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is a novelization of the comic book Kingdom Come. I was hoping to get an "extended edition" of the comic. It is extended--but in all the wrong ways. Too much bloat in the descriptions without adding many interesting insights to the story.
Shawn Storey
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the best Graphic Novels I've read. This does what ongoing comics can't and gives us a future where the current heroes have changed, evolved, retired, and some have issues in their past that changed them forever. Alex Ross' art is incredible. There are so many Easter Eggs in this, that you can spend months reading and looking it over again and finding more every time.
Timo
Sep 30, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: äänikirjat
Kingdom Come (or Condom King as I prefer it) was hugely popular with some of the best comic art I have ever seen. Sadly, storywise it has been pretty so-so to me with too much pathos and posing.
This audio version of it did not change my view.
Brenda Clough
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
You shouldn't really begin with this (text) novel. Go first to read the graphic novel of the same title. Then, to get more about what was happening, come back to this book. Do it in the reverse and I can promise you will be disappointed.
James
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What started off as a grim tale of the future turned into a tale of hope for the future and repentance for heroes who wronged those they swore to protect.

One thing that was truly striking was the beautiful artwork. Fantastic!

Read if you can!
Superheroes and C...: Kingdom Come by Elliot S. Maggin 10 26 Jan 21, 2014 04:22PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #8 Kingdom Come by Elliot S. Maggin 1 2 Jan 20, 2014 10:13AM
  • Crisis on Infinite Earths
  • Justice, Volume 2
  • The Incredible Hulk: What Savage Beast
  • Enemies & Allies
  • Batman Returns
Elliot S. Maggin, also spelled Elliot S! Maggin (born 1950),[3] is an American writer of comic books, film, television and novels. He was a main writer for DC Comics during the Bronze and early Modern ages of comics in the 1970s and 1980s. He is particularly associated with the character of Superman.
“And suddenly…there was a wind. No, not a wind. A blur of motion… Bending the steel of their weapons and changing the very course of the might river below. Even before the bystanders freed themselves from the cable car, they know. We all did. We knew… and remembered.” 1 likes