Start by marking “The Book of the Sandman and the Alphabet of Sleep” as Want to Read:
The Book of the Sandman and the Alphabet of Sleep

The Book of the Sandman and the Alphabet of Sleep

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  118 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Book of the Sandman, The: and the Alphabet of Sleep, by Huygen, Wil
Published September 1st 1989 by Harry N. Abrams (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of the Sandman and the Alphabet of Sleep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of the Sandman and the Alphabet of Sleep

Cindy
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and fun to read with children
Ethan Hulbert
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book explaining how sleep REALLY works and showing the habits of and science behind the sandman himself.
Maja Lange
The illustrations are so absolutely wonderful that it really is a pity that the text is less than satisfying. There are some great ideas in there - charming, imaginative and funny - and I like the overall premise a lot, but the narrative is badly structured, and the ending is too abrupt and thus disappointing. I consider the book a partial waste of potential, but then again, I'm happy it was published, as I wouldn't want to have missed out on those delicious pictures.

If only the quality of the
BoekenTrol
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all parents with young children
Recommended to BoekenTrol by: the woman in the book store
This book I bought after my son asked me a question. He wanted to know what is sleep...
He was too young to explain it scientifically (not that I was able to do THAT), so when I went to the book store and asked around, the sales person gave me this book.
And both he and I loved it very much. The drawings are great and the story about the Sandman is too. Well, Sandman in gnome form, but that doesn't change the story at all or make it less interesting.
Giuliana
Aug 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found an English version of this book the day after spending an hour talking about Gnomes, the book that every Italian had as a child. This book has a weird explanation of the alphabet and a weirder explanation of how to face and defeat the Sandman, a monster of the Germanic tradition already described in the early 1800s by E.T.A. Hoffmann.
Sasha Moore
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! Instead of Santa and the Tooth Fairy, as a little kid I believed in the Sandman and hid this book under my bed (as it instructs you to keep it safe). No one I knew ever read it. I still have mine and I love the illustrations (such as his tiny flying donkey!)
Kate
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is charming, and works wonders as a cure for insomnia (both mine and my children's), as it is clearly meant to do. The illustrations are beautiful, too.
Tiffany
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh, how DELIGHTFUL! Such a clever story, such beautifully rendered illustrations ... yes, yes, and yes!
Sylvester
May 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, fantasy-sci-fi
A childhood favorite. Love the illustrations - although I hardly would call them that - paintings, more like.
Jim
Apr 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
the translation doesn't flow v.well, but still i enjoyed it.
Hannah
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeously illustrated. Too bad my rabbit ate it.

And how often do you find an orangutan in a night cap anyways?
Sheherazahde