Start by marking “Danger Close” as Want to Read:
Danger Close

Danger Close

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  172 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews

Barely into his twenties and already a highly decorated military hero, Army Special Forces veteran Blake Kershaw is now going to college, studying while recuperating from wounds received in Afghanistan, and planning to re-enter the Army as an officer after graduation. But life tosses Blake a curve when his country approaches him about using his special skills to avert a te

Published July 1st 2010 by B&H Publishing Group (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Danger Close, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Danger Close

Susan
This author was new to me. He is excellent, I'm hoping to find more books by him on audio to enjoy. The ending was quite nice. The narrator was exemplary.
Chuck
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
William G. Boykin is a retired army Lt. General, was an original member of Delta Force and eventually commanded Delta Force. He has now written a pretty good anti terrorist war story. As you might expect, his protagonist here is a Special Forces veteran recovering from wounds. Blake Kershaw has entered a college in search of a degree when he is approached by the CIA to train as an undercover agent for placement in a terrorist training base in Afghanistan preparing for a nuclear attack on the Uni ...more
Ronie
Jul 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to come...
Becky
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fast-paced spy/military adventure, delving deep into Taliban networks. Even as the author provides glimpses of the underpinnings of political and covert actions, the main character trusts in God as his true ally. Would make an exciting movie!
Margaret Chind
Feb 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: Julie Gwinn
This review is from reading an Advanced Reader Copy/Unedited Proof. A couple days ago I finished reading a thriller/action-adventure/suspense novel in the latest Time Scene Investigators series, The Influenza Bomb: A Novel from Paul McCusker and Walt Larimore MD and I was immediately in the mood for more. Thus I looked through my shelves to find similar authors and found two books that I read last year about the same genre one was Gold of Kings: A Novel from Davis Bunn and the other Pirate Hunte ...more
Linda
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good. Well written, suspenseful, hard to put down. Frightening to think the enemy can get so close to the US
Jody
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These types of books are a double edged sword with me. On the one hand, I really enjoy the action and suspense. On the other hand...let's just say I usually end up more paranoid about how deceitful our government is. This is a great story and because of the author's past I am assuming there is a lot of truth woven into the fiction. Boykin shows us what "could" happen when a man goes undercover, not just the undercover part but also the whole preparation thing. That was very interesting. This boo ...more
J
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was a strong plot which pulled me through the novel and (after the first chapter) I found it a compelling and quick read. It humanizes war and espionage, while being clean and family-approbirate. Christian themes of asking God for help throughout. Doesn’t sugar coat Islam.

It is definitely a military book. Good men die but courage and integrity are abundant. Family values and christian values are reinforced.

The military jargon made the entry into the story a bit rough, but that cleared afte
Diane  Holm
Apr 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Action filled from page one….

Addicting writing and hard to put down, Boykin and Morrisey bring the realities of war to your imagination. The characters are more than just people on a page; they take on a life of their own full of emotions and struggles that will touch the closed places of your heart.

War is a terrible thing. When you face it head on the choices you make in the service of your country and the “better good” are often split second decisions. Faith in God is sometimes the only thing
Mary
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book asks, "Can honorable men do dishonorable things in the interests of national security and still maintain their honor?" The author uses his own experience as the Former U.S. Army Special Forces and Founding Member of Delta Force. As a wounded Special Forces veteran, "Blake's country asks him to change his identity to help avert a terrorist plot involving a nuclear attack on U.S. soil." I rated this a five-star book because it is a political thriller with no bad language. Amazing.

Jeff Carpenter
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I guess I could be described as a casual fan of General Boykin. He is a founder and past commander of Delta Force, but I never knew he was an author. I am familiar with his co-author Morrisey, he has written some excellent adventure/action stories in the Christian fiction field. So when I ran across this novel written by these two men I could'nt pass it up. Glad I didn't, it was a great story. Not too give too much away but this one ended in a way that could easily turn into a series. That's pre ...more
Roger Scherping
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good story. You had to suspend your disbelief somewhat, like how could Blake, a strong and fit Marine, look physically like the loser Grant, and how easily Grant escaped from his captors at the ocean side house. But the prose is clear and well written, and the story moves along nicely. It also does a great job of putting you in the desert training camp. The story would have benefited from a few twists and turns because once it got going nothing too unexpected happened.
Katy
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katy by: Greg Platt
Very good read. Kept me interested the whole time. Sometimes it was a little difficult to understand the military lingo, but it did not severely hinder my understanding of the storyline. There were a few minor editorial errors and one major one (the names of Raheesh and Saif were switched at the end).
Harris Butler
Nov 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: realistic
Boykin knows the military, and he walks the fine line between writing a book with Christian values and not being preachy. The Christian themes in parts of the book may make non-Christian readers uncomfortable, but to stop reading because of that would be a shame. Boykin (with the help of Morrisey) gives us a thrilling story that is hard to put down once you start reading it.
Jan Giezentanner
Super story! Nothing so far out as to be unbelievable. Exciting and hard to put down.

Exciting "spook" story. not like your normal spy story. Believable characters and plot. Plus a surprise twist at the end.
Darin
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Christian undercover agent who actually prays and looks to God for help in times of need. He must also reconcile "evil" acts that he must participate in to remain undercover with his service to God. I liked the book and will encourage my kids to read it.
Francis T. Villante
Action from open to close

the book was excellent. it was hard to put, down. it wasn't far fetched terrorism. it was as close to the real thing as it gets. I recommend it to anyone who likes fast paced action with a story that could happen or might have already!

Terry Moffitt
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book written by one of the original members of Delta. Though a novel it lays things out the way they are and the way they actually happen. I highly recommond it.
Jill
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book, would read more by this author
John
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thought provoking exploration of the "grater good" in the world of terrorism and espionage. A little far fetched with the use of plastic surgery "face off" premise but a good read.
Jerry
Dec 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It had its moments, but it wasn't anything special; merely mediocre fare, at best.
Daniel York
Good work of fiction by retired LTG Boykin.
Elizabeth Maddrey
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
I really enjoyed this and will be looking for more (seems like it could be the start of a series.) It had great action and was well paced with rounded out characters.
Barbara
Ivy
Oct 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Enemies Among Us
  • Blaze of Glory (Sgt. Major Eric Moyer, #2)
  • Thunder in the Morning Calm (Pacific Rim #1)
  • Wolfsbane (Discarded Heroes #3)
  • Deliver Us from Evil
  • Pirate Hunter
  • The Gabon Virus (TSI: Time Scene Investigators, #1)
  • Ransomed Dreams (Defenders of Hope #1)
  • Assault on Saint Agnes
  • Deployed (Called to Serve, #1)
  • Double Cross (Taylor Pasbury, #2)
  • The Delta Solution (Mack Bedford, #3)
LTG (Ret.) William G. “Jerry” Boykin spent thirty-six years in the United

• The Thief
  • From the Cradle
  • Intrusion
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Two to Die For (Lucy Kincaid, #12.5; Max Revere, #3.5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To the Grave (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • If Tomorrow Comes
    $12.74 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Into the Darkest Corner
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Dragon's Triangle (The Shipwreck Adventures #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The End of Temperance Dare
  • Skewed
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unintended Consequences (Innocent Prisoners Project #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Girl Number One
  • No Time To Blink
  • What You Wish For
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Detachment (John Rain, #7)
  • Don't Get Caught
  • Disappearance at Devil's Rock
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Boy Who Stole from the Dead (Nadia Tesla, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Kindred (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery, #5)
  • Local Girl Missing
  • Finding Jake
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe, #5)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Temporary Agent (The Agent #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Punishment (Detective Barnes, #1)
  • Terminal Rage
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Lonely Resurrection (John Rain #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain #6)
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Sunday Silence (Frieda Klein, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Last Queen of England (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Graveyard of Memories (John Rain, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • Before You Leap
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Strike (Dewey Andreas, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
  • An Invisible Client
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Eight
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Sin and Swoon (Blood and Bone, #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stay Dead (Elise Sandburg #2)
  • The Company of Demons
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Fifth Letter
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Altar Girl (Nadia Tesla #0.5)
  • Darkness
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Redemption Games (John Rain #4)
  • Tips for Living
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Boy from Reactor 4 (Nadia Tesla, #1)
  • Carthage
    $8.49 $2.99
  • The Lost Empress (Genealogical Crime Mystery, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Hounded (An Andy Carpenter Novel)
  • Girls on Fire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Back Road
  • The Other Widow
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Suckers (Jack Daniels and Associates)
  • No Time for Goodbye
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Edinburgh Twilight (Ian Hamilton Mysteries #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Extremis (John Rain, #5)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Chopping Spree (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Not by Sight (Ozark Mountain Trilogy #1)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Winner Take All (John Rain #3)
  • Twist of Faith
  • The Most Dangerous Animal of All
    $8.24 $1.99
  • The Night Villa
    $13.99 $1.99
  • A Clean Kill in Tokyo (John Rain #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Circle of Bones (The Shipwreck Adventures, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Murder of Mary Russell (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes, #14)
    $11.99 $1.99