Start by marking “Payback (Boy Soldier, #2)” as Want to Read:
Payback (Boy Soldier, #2)

Payback (Boy Soldier #2)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  890 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews

A series of high-profile suicide bombings are devastating London and frustrating British Intelligence. But that doesn't matter to seventeen-year-old Danny Watts and his former SAS hero grandfather, Fergus, who are living undercover in southern Spain, knowing that the slightest slip could expose their whereabouts to the ruthless killers on their trail. All too soon, Danny a

Published October 5th 2006 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers (first published October 6th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Payback, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingThe Angel Experiment by James Patterson
Best YA Books Ever
518 books — 649 voters
I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally CarterStormbreaker by Anthony HorowitzOnly the Good Spy Young by Ally CarterFledgling by Mark A. CooperDon't Judge a Girl by Her Cover by Ally Carter
Teen Spies
104 books — 100 voters

More lists with this book...

Calvin Foun
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thought that payback was a exciting book. It tells of a wanted man and his grandson on the run from the government. I liked that it explained why Fergus did everything. For example, I found it interesting that he slams his door shut to make the bolts tight. When the government snuck into his house at night, they quietly shut the door to not wake up Fergus and in the morning Fergus knew that they came in.
Milly Hawkins
Apr 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At the beginning of the book I found the main character Danny,a 17 year old teenager a very introverted and frustated boy. As the story progresses he develops confidence and an a more outgoing personality. Danny and his grandfather Fergus are on the run and hiding in Spain but have to return to England to prove Fergus is innocent. They face many dangerous obstacles on their travels. I think this book would appeal to a teenage audience who enjoy an action-packed, gripping storyline.
Yasar Sadozai
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
After reading this book it seems very dark and violent, but I actually really fine that interesting and enjoyable. It's about these two main detectives named Danny and Fergus who are trying to solve, these sudden murder cases that has been going on. They made their own secret company to help them figure it out, but due to them always missing the event before it starts, they know somebody in their company can not be trusted. I really liked this book because it talks about how mysterious a crime c ...more
Maria Schillinger
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book clears up the main story from the first book, Traitor. However, it brings in a whole new mystery to resolve in the following book/books. I liked this book and the first one. They both kept me reading because I wanted to know what was going to happen to Fergus, Danny, and Elena.
Garry Schofield
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Not a bad book defo worth a read not as good as some of andy's other books
Taylor McCarthy
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The. Ok was very interesting and was very action packed which then gripped me t the book which made me want to read more.
Mike Gormez
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
An enjoyable book. Nothing too fancy but neither boring.
Khadija Zahra
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Captivating .I really like the building up of the climax and the way the author deals with it .
Kees van Duyn
Nadat Andy McNab, een pseudoniem voor Steven Billy Mitchell, in 1993 als hoogst onderscheiden soldaat de SAS verliet, schreef hij over zijn ervaringen twee bestsellers, waarvan Bravo Two Zero de eerste was. In 1998 begon hij met het schrijven van fictie en zijn bekendste boeken zijn die met Nick Stone. Samen met Robert Rigby, die als journalist begon en later bekendheid kreeg in de muziekwereld, schreef hij een aantal Young Adult-boeken. De jonge soldaat uit 2005 was het eerste van de Boy soldie ...more
Paul Perry
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very very good will reccommend this to anyone i liked it a lot and it has me hooked will be reading hte next.
Ian
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
This story follows the adventure that seventeen year-old Danny and his grandfather Fergus take as they investigate and try to put a stop to a train of terrorist attacks in London. As expected, this book had many scenes of action and suspense. For example, "Kev fired two rapid double taps at Fran, who was crouching beside her vehicle, but in the glare of the headlights it was virtually impossible to get a decent aim. He turned the SD on the lights they exploded in a hail of glass"(McNab 128). Thi ...more
Roz
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, action
I am not in the mood to sit and write a proper review. I have a book I am looking forward to reading waiting and I just want to get this over with.

I don't necessarily want to be overly negative about this book. Granted, it is not what I enjoy, but that doesn't mean that it might not be a good book for boys to read. As I am neither approaching or in my early teens, or a boy, I am not in a position to give this a fair judgement.

What the book has going for it: It uses military acronyms, abbreviati
James Hargest Library
A series of suicide bombings are destroying London and frustrating British Intelligence. But that doesn't matter to seventeen-year-old Danny Watts and his former SAS hero grandfather, Fergus, who are living undercover in southern Spain, knowing that the slightest slip could expose their whereabouts to the ruthless killers on their trail. All is well, until Danny and Fergus have their cover blown and are on the run again, with their enemies closing in fast. Suddenly, Danny and Fergus are forced t ...more
Tom
Feb 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grace Wright
May 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
Its definitly confusing. I think it would help if I read the first book first. But even if I had, the rating wouldn't be much higher. Its about suicide bombers, and suicide bombers are a weird thing to read about. Sure I like weird books, but still.

I don't know what was going on in this book. It might be just that I forgot what happened since I read it awhile back and am only doing the reveiw now but I vividly remember being confused and asking myself what was going on.

Maybe it makes more sence
Cam Marcoulier
Oct 14, 2013 rated it liked it
The book Payback by Andy McNab is about a boy named Danny and his grandfather named Fergus. They were hiding out in Spain but some criminals found out where thy were hiding and they had to return to London in order to clear their family name. Once there they figure out Danny is somehow connected to bombing that are happening in London. I thought this book was prettyy good, it had a lot of suspence throughout it which made me keep wanting to read. I thought that it summed up pretty well too.
Nelsond
I liked this book very much. I usually don't get all that into a book but this one was fun to read. It is about a boy named Danny and his Grandfather named Fergus. They are both running away from the British CIA because they are both tagged as terrorists. Later in the book they both go to great struggles to try and clear their names while also dodging people who want to claim the bounty for them.
John
Sep 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
A good read from Andy McNab that one would expect with the knowledge he has gained on operations for the UK.

The book I beleive was targeted at the younger reader, nonetheless, it does not lack the punch or storyline McNab usally puts out. A good plot that one can beleive if you stretch things but for one little escapade that is the sum of the writers imagination and journalistic licence.

Worth the money.
Josh Keller
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: quarter1
"Payback" by Andy McNab is the great sequel to the first book in this series. This is the last and final book. The story is about Danny Watts teamming up with his Grandfather to take out the evil spy in the army. This was a good read. It was a easy read with a good ending. There are lots of army terms in this book. It is a realistic fiction.
Chris Harrison
Better than the 1st book in the series, although there was some comparisons with Eddie in the 1st book basically cloned as Joey in the 2nd book and you could see the outcome for him coming long before it happened. Like the way it entices you to get the next book with the epilogue and its looking like it might be an interesting read.
Gregg Stephenson
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the 2nd in the Boy Soldier series by Andy McNab. I was on the fence with the first book, but made a deal with myself to try the 2nd in the series.
I found Payback to be a much better read. It was more realistic and compelling. So, now I'm on the hook and ready to read the next in the series. Hope its as good as this one.
Justin Marek
Feb 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Payback
There is a seventeen year old that had seven kilos of explosives strapped to him. And when he detonated it he killed almost seventy people. In this book I like how they explain things to a certain level. And describe what he did. But I did not like how they did not describe how he did it. Or exactly why he blew everyone up.
Grace
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books-read
I loved this book which is the 2nd one in the series. I think the story flows better than a typical McNab book because Robert Rigby writes better than McNab and therefore the book is easier to read. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.
Christopher R
Apr 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
very good book high suspense is a little boring in the beginning. It is about a ex sas person named fergus watts hw is on the run because MI5 says he stole lots of money but he was actually a undercover agent.
Claire
Fergus and Danny are hiding in Spain trying to figure out how to expose the individual who set Fergus up and is trying to silence them. They are discovered and on the run. Lots of action, the story line holds,
Graham Mergler
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
A lot of suspense, a good book. Can't wait to read the last book in the series
Wilton314
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2006
A well written sequel to Traitor, the first in the Boy Soldier series. Just as action packed and hard to put down.
Brian
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
check if brian read it
Nick Sienkiewicz
It was a good book that kept me on the edge of my seat and i had no idea what was going to happen
Icilma Thornhill
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A rollercoaster ride with a intense storyline.
Goodreads Librari...: Please help me combine this McNab book edition 2 22 Nov 27, 2011 02:04AM
  • Shadows in the Twilight (Joel Gustafsson, #2)
  • Samurai (Simon St George, #2)
  • The Eyes of a King (The Last Descendants, #1)
  • The Witch of Agnesi (Bonnie Pinkwater Mystery, #1)
  • The Story of Cirrus Flux
  • Cross Your Heart, Connie Pickles
  • Undersea Prison (Stratton, #4)
  • Hunted (Alpha Force, #6)
  • The Opposite of Invisible
  • Lionboy (Lionboy Trilogy #1)
  • Catwalk (On the Runway, #2)
  • Monster Republic (Monster Republic, #1)
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • The Jumbee
  • Into the Wildewood (Faire Folk Trilogy #2)
  • The Ship of Adventure (Adventure, #6)
  • Freaks and Revelations
Andy McNab joined the infantry in 1976 as a boy soldier. In 1984 he was badged as a member of 22 SAS Regiment. He served in B Squadron 22 SAS for ten years and worked on both covert and overt special operations worldwide, including anti-terrorist and anti-drug operations in the Middle and Far East, South and Central America and Northern Ireland.

Trained as a specialist in counter terrorism, prime t
More about Andy McNab

Boy Soldier (4 books)
  • Traitor (Boy Soldier, #1)
  • Avenger (Boy Soldier, #3)
  • Meltdown (Boy Soldier, #4)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
  • Six Wakes
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Bluegate Fields (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #6)
  • Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • American by Day
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)