Start by marking “Angelique in Barbary” as Want to Read:
Angelique in Barbary

Angelique in Barbary (Angélique - Version Originale #4)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  928 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Opnieuw slaat het noodlot toe en Angélique wordt ontvoerd door een piraat die haar het bed in probeert te praten. Angélique wijst hem echter af waarna de piraat haar als slaaf probeert te verkopen. Ze wordt gekocht door de sultan die haar toevoegt aan zijn harem waar ze al snel uitgroeit tot zijn ‘favoriet ’waardoor ze zich de woede van een rivale op de hals haalt. Ondertu ...more
Mass Market Paperback
Published 1975 by Bantam (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Angelique in Barbary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angelique in Barbary

Misfit
Mar 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Review is slightly spoilerish

"Of course, it's important. I know you. Nothing would make you bother the police for a joke. With you, it's always something important-you're about to be murdered, or else commit suicide, or perhaps you've decided to involve the Royal Family in some fiendish scandal, or disobey the Pope."

Hah! This is the third book in a long series, and this review will be rather brief to avoid spoiling events from the prior novels, Angelique (Book 1) and Angélique and the K
Martina
Jan 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sins of my youth -- I read this book when I was 12 with red ears... well still a pretty good trash read!
LJ
Oct 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Angelique in Barbary
Sergeanne Golon - 3rd in series
This book tells how beautiful, emerald-eyed Angelique, sets out in search of her first husband, Joffrey de Peyrac.

Although Angelique has lived many lives in the years since Joffrey was sentenced to death, she could never forget him and remembered as the gentlest and wisest of her lovers. When the King reveals that Joffrey was spared execution and later outwitted his guards, she knows that no matter how inaccessible his hiding place, she will ma
Tracey
Book Cover

"France's daughter of joy seeks lusty new adventures as a Sultan's pampered slave

Angelique one of the most irresistible heroines in the history of fiction. Saucy, emerald-eyed slave of passion, Angelique's stormy adventurer have taken her from the gutters of Paris to the harems of Africa to the silken prison of a king.

Angelique begins a perilous search for her lost love in the lawless, savage world of the Mediterranean, where her beauty is plunder for pirates, treasure for the slave tr
Toni
Nov 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just like the three before it, this fourth book in the Angelique series, was magnificent. It had every element of brilliant writing and I found myself utterly caught up. This book was absolutely unbelievable. I loved it! This is well beyond 5 stars!
Sydney Young
Dec 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favorites
With the first two books, I learned about being a strong woman despite hardship, and being true to yourself. This book opened up a whole new Arabian world, and made me go on used book searches for the next book.
Christine
Nov 14, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I recommend all other volumes, but not this one
Recommended to Christine by: I read it as a part of the whole series
I read the complete series of 13 books (theoretically it would be 14 in English, but vol. 1 & 2 are one volume in Germany, plus the last 3 books have not been translated into English) twice, but this volume is the one that I did enjoy the least. I am simply not interested in sultans, serails and harems at all. I prefer France or Quebec as a location.
So this time while rereading the whole series, I will skip this volume.
The first 9 books were great, but the last ones from vol. 10 on seem to b
Lucy Sisk
Apr 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anne-golon
Překvapení nastalo v okamžiku, kdy se opravdu začalo něco dít. Samozřejmě se mi nelíbilo, čím vším si musela Angelika projít a že zanechala děti v péči své sestry, která ji nesnášela. Po odsouzení jejího manžela se zhroutila, což je sando chápatelné, ale méně pak její činy. Nesouhlasila jsem plně s jejími rozhodnutími, ale koneckonců není na mě, abych určovala literární postavu někoho jiného. Tato kniha se mi líbila více než předchozí díl, ale také jsem si asi přivykla více na televizní komerční ...more
Terry
Mar 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this series of "Angelique" books when I was 16-17 years old - I thought it was cool that they were translated from French. I liked the exotic settings (geographically and historically) and I liked the idea that she could get out of any situation and the passionate parts were just icing on the cake. At that time I had no idea what a bodice ripper novel was and probably wouldn't pick it up today. I rated as I would have when I read them.
Alucard
Love the cover. Generally speaking not a big fan of the whole series, as in this series, Angelique the heroine, always "escapes her fate" just in the nick of time, and I find that all droll and boring. But the cover art is to die for. I'd have done it with Angelique in a silk harem outfit, about to fall off her, with a perfect shot of the Sultan behind her.
Mary
Like the other Angelique books, magnificent historical novels that take one to 17th century France and create a lifelong interest in this fascinating period of history. Five stars and more. In this book, Angelique is captured by pirates and becomes a slave in the harem of a tyrant. Exciting as all the other books by Sargeanne Gplon.
Jeanneann
Jul 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the best book ever. I fell in love with pirates with this book.
Charlene Gordon
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read all these over 40 years ago and loved them.
Pamela(AllHoney)
The fourth book in the Angelique series. I read this in High school many years ago.
Arlene
Nov 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first in a history, romance series -- I LOVED all of them and was sad when Serge died. The last book, by Anne, clearly showed what Serge added.
Deborah Pickstone
Less good than the previous two/three (Book 1&2 in first volume).
Nicole
The story line is becoming more romance and far less history.
Pjpollard
Oh man this book taught me so much about slavery and piracy in the 17th century!
Nikola
Tiia
Aug 16, 2012
Annika
Jan 19, 2013
  • Catherine (Catherine, #2)
  • The Spanish Rose
  • Rogue's Mistress (Dennehy Sisters, #2)
  • La reina oculta
  • Plameni inkvizitori I & II
  • Consuelo
  • The Bride's Bodyguard
  • Scales of Gold (The House of Niccolo, #4)
  • Zemindar
  • Moss Rose
  • Adora
  • Quattrocento
  • Captive Mistress
  • When Love Commands (Marietta Danver Trilogy, #3)
  • The Light Heart (Williamsburg, #4)
Born in Toulon as Simone Changeux in 1921; she published under the pseudonym of Sergeanne Golon or Anne & Serge Golon, and later as Anne Golon.
More about Anne Golon...

Angélique - Version Originale (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • Angelique (Angelique: Original version, #1)
  • Angelica: la marchesa degli Angeli
  • Angelica e il giustiziato di Notre-Dame
  • Angelique, the Road to Versailles (Angelique: Original version #2)
  • Angelica alla corte dei miracoli
  • Angelica alla corte del re
  • Angelique and the King  (Angélique: Original version #3)
  • Angelique et le roy - 1 (Angelique: Original version #3-1)
  • Angelique et le roy - 2 (Angelique: Original version #3-2)
  • Indomptable Angelique - 1 (Angelique: Original version #4-1)