Start by marking “The War of the Worlds, Plus Blood, Guts and Zombies” as Want to Read:
The War of the Worlds, Plus Blood, Guts and Zombies

The War of the Worlds, Plus Blood, Guts and Zombies

Published December 14th 2010 by Gallery Books (first published January 1st 2009)

Be the first to ask a question about The War of the Worlds, Plus Blood, Guts and Zombies

Patrick D'Orazio
This is the second book I have read recently that uses the template of a classic novel and layers over that the invasion of the undead. The first: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, while entertaining based on the novelty of a comedy of manners having brain eating zombies in it, didn't flow quite as well as this re-envisioning of The War of the Worlds.

Much like in the other book, the author here has let the original storyline remain in place, perhaps retaining upwards of 85% of the orginal text,
Stephen North
Oct 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eric seemlessly adds zombies to the tale. I couldn't really tell where his voice ended and Mr. Wells started. If you are looking for gruesome violence you may want to look elsewhere, otherwise I think Eric did a great job.
♡ Spencer
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I had it for a long time before I decided to start reading it in October 2015. I figured that, hey, it was Halloween season and Halloween means spooky things, so why not finally read the book about aliens AND zombies? That’s a pretty awesome combination if you ask me, so I really don’t remember why it took so long for me to read it. I definitely don’t regret it, though.

One of the things I was most concerned about when I first started the book was how well
Jill
Aug 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Invaders from the Red Planet come to earth, causing zombies to swarm the planet, thus threatening all of mankind instead of just Great Britain.

***
The possibility of life on other planets has been written about in many genres, especially science fiction. Author Eric S. Brown’s fascination with zombies has led him to modify H.G. Wells classic, “War of the Worlds”. While the Mars invaders in that original novel were limited to Great Britain, here zombies are created worldwide, as particles fallin
Jean-Pierre Vidrine
When the first of these classic books with horror elements added turned up, I didn't think I would bother with any of them. Maybe I convinced myself that what was done was a crime against the long-dead author. Then this book turned up. I couldn't deny that I was curious. That's when I realized that the reason I wasn't interested in the other zombified classics had nothing to do with sensitivity to the original authors' integrity. I simply wasn't interested even in the original book, let alone an ...more
Tony Mosley
I like how the book puts you in the perspective where you can visualize the story like its a movie. It also shows you in detail how advance earth was in their time and how the outbreak effected it. Plus the novel gives you a feel of how the characters reacted to the conflict and how they are dealing with it.
Rick sullivan
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keepers, fantasy-sf
I was really impressed with this. I had thought that it would likely be campy and silly but I honestly couldn't really tell where Wells left off and Brown started. Not without sitting down with the original. Brown worked the zombies very well into the original plot and did it in a logical manner. A very, very good read. Wells fan of "War of the Worlds" won't be disappointed.
Tessie
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining book. I enjoyed it. I loved the original book so when I saw this in the store I had to see what it was like. It kept me entertained and was a fast paced book. Good read for Halloween time of the year. I like the subtle message that we should learn to live for the moment because you never know what the future may bring!
John
Feb 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 1fiction, box8
Interesting take on H G Wells, just OK not great. But entertaining.
Christy
Apr 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
most excellent!!
Nancy
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror-suspense
I was pleasantly surprised that
I remembered as much as I did
of the original. And the introduction
of the zombies worked really well.
Terri Luer
Mar 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's as if zombies should have always been present in The War of the Worlds.
Andrew #2!
Jan 09, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5
Nathan Miller
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd just re-read the original WotW, and had this on my bookshelf, so I figured it was a good time to crack it open. It opens exactly like the original and indeed, most of it is. With, of course, the addition of Romero-type zombies. So not only is our Narrator running from the Heat-Ray and the Black Smoke, he also has to fight off mindless zombies trying to eat his living flesh and can only be destroyed by the now-familiar head shot. The author...er, co-author...did a more-than-decent job of weav ...more
Kat Foster
I enjoyed the story, but found it a little confusing to read and understand what was happening. There were many spelling mistakes and editing errors in my copy of the book, unfortunately.
Karielle at Books à la Mode
Blurb: The classic science fiction tale that will eat your brains!
Never before in the history of warfare had destruction been so indiscriminate and so universal.
Panic descends upon planet Earth once more as H.G. Wells's terrifying cosmic invaders blaze a path of fiery destruction across Victorian England, leaving thousands of undead in their wake. Our adventurous narrator must survive the apocalyptic alien threat while fighting off raging, bloodthirsty zombies. Who will triumph when man, Martian
Megster
Dec 18, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: die hard zombie fans or monster mashup fans
The original War of the Worlds story is somewhat difficult to wade through just because of the 18th century style of storytelling, which is rather dry and impersonal. Although the action in the book is intriguing, the narration seems detached and unaffected, as if too much time has passed between the events of the story and the time the narrator is telling the story. The zombie action is pretty lame so far. I ended up not finishing the book. It was on loan through work (bookstore) and there were ...more
Regina
Jun 23, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-library
this was alright but I really don't feel that the author added much at all... I would recommend just reading the original War of the Worlds and don't bother with this one... shame really as I did enjoy Pride, Prejudice, & Zombies...
Tim Dunn
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
90% War of the Worlds, 10% Zombies added, not really that great. I loved War of the Worlds, so it's hard to knock that part, but very light on anything actually added to the story. Not worth the time to read it, just read the original and imagine the rest and save yourself time and money.
Rachel
Ponderous and depressing. I struggled to finish it.
Samori705
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was ok
Too complicated. The language was from a different time period
Hillary Marek
May 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Details Outdated 1 4 Feb 16, 2011 03:02PM
  • Robin Hood & Friar Tuck: Zombie Killers
  • The Undead World of Oz: L. Frank Baum's the Wonderful Wizard of Oz Complete with Zombies and Monsters
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Zombie Jim
  • Emma and the Werewolves: Jane Austen's Classic Novel with Blood-Curdling Lycanthropy
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and the Undead