Start by marking “The Courage to Be Free: Discover Your Original Fearless Self” as Want to Read:
The Courage to Be Free: Discover Your Original Fearless Self

The Courage to Be Free: Discover Your Original Fearless Self

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  130 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
We were not born with the persistent negative, self-doubting, self-limiting thoughts and feelings most of us carry around. Those limitations are not part of our "original equipment." In the words of bestselling author and beloved teacher Guy Finley, "When you realize no else on this earth can be like you... that no other soul may know the beauty, sorrow, light and darkness ...more
Published August 1st 2010 by Weiser Books (first published July 6th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Courage to Be Free, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Courage to Be Free

Tami
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One day, the wise old owl Solomon saw a strange sight: five eagles wearing goggles and raincoats walking towards their fishing grounds. Whereas eagles are usually adept fliers and fierce hunters these poor birds fought each other over mere scraps. It was a dreadful sight. Somehow, someway, these majestic creatures had been tricked into believing that they weren’t enough.

Like these great birds, we have been tricked into believing that we are somehow lacking. We’ve forgotten that we don’t need an
Joe Newell
Dec 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Guy Finley's writing style is rather lofty. He goes to great lengths to beautify the written word, but don't let that be a hindrance. Guy is committed to your self improvement.

The book is great. Especially the last few chapters. Anything that Guy writes needs to be read again and again to really soak it in. It is deep, profound and it will change your life.

Read this book if you want a new life. But be warned: the rewards are limitless, but there is work involved.

Kathy
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: haveread
Another hit in my mind. These books are really connecting with me these days. I appreciate the way they are teaching me.
Monica
Sep 09, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Heard a bit of the audio book and did not like it. It is too airy-fairy.
Thomas Holbrook
I enjoy reading Spiritual writings. In reading a wide range of this genre, I have noticed a unity of opinion regarding Ultimate Awareness. The greatest variance of how to achieve that goal is in the myth and tradition taken by those who seek it. I was unfamiliar with Mr. Finley on his writings until this book. It was part of a year-end clearance with one of my dealers and was a bargain even without a coupon! Having read this hard-bound pamphlet, I found him to be clear, well integrated as to hi ...more
Drew Constance
I picked this up at my local library after a quick flick through. At this moment in my life I am seeking to find myself on an endless life long journey and I am always interested in other people's perspectives on how to live a rich and free like while maintaining our authentic self. Guy presents a myriad of blunt suggestions, refreshing story telling and to the point key steps in which you can implement in your own life to activity be your powerful self.

Much with any book pertaining to spiritual
Carolyn
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After a quick browse in my favorite shelf in the library, I picked up this book as I remembered it is recommended by other bloggers. I borrowed it and took it with me on my vacation just like "The Quiet" and read it in the airport, up in the cloud, and under the lamp light.

I'm glad I did. Now I have I always remind myself the story of the wise owl. It is easier to remember the lesson when it is told through a story with animals as the character. It is the same reason that grown-ups can still rec
Ilana Lewis
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book landed on my lap at the exact time I needed it ! The universe has provided me with insight and tools to deal with life and its myriad of situations . It was a gentle reminder that I am already the person I want to be ! And I AM the solution !!
Nikkie Gallegos
Way too many analogies!
Jerri Martin
Nov 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the use of metaphors and stories to make the principles easy to process. Some of the teachings go contrary to conventional thought.
Lianda Ludwig
A bit simplistic for my taste.
Annmarie (Annie) Kostyk
A lovely little book about becoming you true self with tips and anecdotes from those respected in the field.
Kevin Klarić
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book.
Jewell Moore
Feb 10, 2014 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Audio...listening now
Chelsie
A lot of good ideas and things to think about. Very much enjoyed it, but would like to read through it again and dive deeper into what he has to say.
Madeline Gannon
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did not finish... But what I did read, I thought was very helpful.
Robert Heckner
Jan 13, 2015
Tiffany Nicole
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: life-changers, 2016
Such a quick, easy, beautiful read.
Bonnie G
  • Legacy: Letters from Eminent Parents to Their Daughters
  • The Dalai Lama: His Essential Wisdom
  • Fearless Living
  • Brief Encounters
  • The Life Model: Living From The Heart Jesus Gave You, The Essentials Of Christian Living
  • Above Life's Turmoil
  • Walking with Grandfather
  • Ultimate Leadership: Winning Execution Strategies for Your Situation
  • Crowdfunding: The Next Big Thing
  • Brain Wars: The Scientific Battle Over the Existence of the Mind and the Proof That Will Change the Way We Live Our Lives
  • Madly in Love with ME: The Daring Adventure of Becoming Your Own Best Friend
  • Healing Words
  • What I Believe
  • The Last Full Measure: Death in Battle Through the Ages
  • Syd Barrett: A Very Irregular Head
  • Dirty Little Secrets: Breaking the Silence on Teenage Girls and Promiscuity
  • The Pleasure Instinct: Why We Crave Adventure, Chocolate, Pheromones, and Music
BEST-SELLING "LETTING GO" author Guy Finley's encouraging and accessible message is one of the true bright lights in our world today. His ideas go straight to the heart of our most important personal and social issues -- relationships, success, addiction, stress, peace, happiness, freedom -- and lead the way to a higher life.

Finley is the acclaimed author of The Secret of Letting Go, The Essential