Start by marking “The Way of Kings, Part 1 (The Stormlight Archive #1.1)” as Want to Read:
The Way of Kings, Part 1 (The Stormlight Archive #1.1)

The Way of Kings, Part 1 (The Stormlight Archive #1.1)

4.67  ·  Rating details ·  10,282 Ratings  ·  465 Reviews
SPEAK AGAIN THE ANCIENT OATHS,

LIFE BEFORE DEATH.
STRENGTH BEFORE WEAKNESS.
JOURNEY BEFORE DESTINATION.

AND RETURN TO MEN THE SHARDS THEY ONCE BORE.

THE KNIGHTS RADIANT MUST STAND AGAIN.

Roshar is a world of stone and storms. Uncanny tempests of incredible power sweep across the rocky terrain so frequently that they have shaped ecology and civilization alike. Animals hide in she
Published May 1st 2011 by Gollancz (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Way of Kings, Part 1, please sign up.

Tamara When they released them in the 'trade size' paperbacks they split the books into two. It's is essentially the same story, just split for practicality.…moreWhen they released them in the 'trade size' paperbacks they split the books into two. It's is essentially the same story, just split for practicality. :)(less)
Amis Thysia I believe it's intended to be 10, split into two five-book sets (à la David Eddings' Belgariad/Mallorean series, if you're familiar with that.)

Jonathan
This, though only part one of an entire book, was so epic that in itself it gains five stars. I don't believe I can name any other book - well apart from the magnificent Lord of the Rings - that while divided in parts retains its pulling power.

The world Sanderson creates is astonishing, populated by larger than life heroes, some anti-heroes and basically human beings who have varying motives for doing what they consider moral. Its an intriguing and satisfying world that drew me in and left me w
Warda
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Part of me thinks since this edition is Part One of Book One, I should hold off on my rating till I finish reading Part Two. But then again, I already know I'm going to love this series...
Melissa
*4.5 stars*

Has a pretty slow build-up, which is understandable. Though, it is most definitely living up to the hype. Very excited to continue with part 2!
Dawnie
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
"first, find a cliff."
"That will give you a vantage point to see the area?"
"No," Kaladin said. "It will give me something to throw you off of."

This book is quiet hard for me to review.

And not only because it is "only" the first part of a book that is supposed to be one big huge one.

So lets just list a bit of what i was feeling:

- the world
The thing i really, really, REALLY love in this book is that WOMEN are the scholars in this world.
How rare is that to find in books?
So clearly LOVE that.
Liviu Szoke
Cred că se conturează prima capodoperă scrisă de Sanderson pe care o citesc. Am crezut că notele de 4.50 pe care le au o parte din romanele sale sunt mult umflate de popularitatea sa, însă seria Stormlight Archive arată că Sanderson a ajuns la maturitatea necesară scrierii unei serii de o asemenea dimensiune. Dacă ar lăsa-o mai ușor cu seriile pentru puștani și burțile steampunk ale seriei Mistborn, inutile după părerea mea, și s-ar concentra pe seria de față, care va cuprinde zece volume (!), a ...more
Patricia Crowther
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Phew! For a little while back there I thought I was gonna have to give this a 4.5 rating (which would have been a first for me to give a BS novel anything less than a 5). But thankfully no and all is right in the world, those last two hundred pages definitely brought the story back into line for me.

This story arc is going to be amazing, this man is a genius!!
Olivia
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I couldn't really get into this book and finally decided to bring Part 2 back to the library without reading it. I know Sanderson is loved by many fantasy fans but I just don't find him or his stories enticing or gripping. Apparently Brandon Sanderson is not for me.
Elena
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Off to part 2!
Caroline
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I did really enjoy this book. I'm gonna say that first because the fact that I gave a Brandon Sanderson book anything but five stars may be alarming to some people. IT'S STILL A GOOD BOOK AND I REALLY LOVED IT OKAY?!

My only problem with this book (the problem that stopped it from getting five stars) was how long it took me to get into it. I found the first 70 or so pages to be a little confusing. There was a lot of information and world building; there were a few big time and location jumps that
Maria
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Cât de frumoasă, fantastică și minunată a fost cartea asta!

Dacă prima jumătate a volumului mi s-a părut a fi mai mult o mise-en-scène destinată familiarizării cititorilor cu personajele și întregul univers, fiecare pagină care a urmat a fost GENIALĂ: creaturi misterioase, războinici, legende și credințe străvechi, furtuni care bântuie și pustiesc ținuturile, plante conștiente, asasini care pot manipula realitatea fizică… What else could you ask for?

description

Nadine
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sanderson! Ma man! Doing it again and again. I cannot get enough of his writing. His plotting, characters, world building, and dialogue are ALWAYS on point.

The Way of Kings Part One is a phenomenal introduction with multiple characters that are multidimensional and in depth world building.

Kaladin was by far my favourite of the bunch introduced in Part One. He's inspiring and resourceful with considerable influence despite is lack of awareness of his own qualities. His journey through this firs
Hasham Rasool
"SPEAK AGAIN THE ANCIENT OATHS,

LIFE BEFORE DEATH.
STRENGTH BEFORE WEAKNESS.
JOURNEY BEFORE DESTINATION.

AND RETURN TO MEN THE SHARDS THEY ONCE BORE.

THE KNIGHTS RADIANT MUST STAND AGAIN."

If you like to read fantasy books then I would recommend you all to read The Way of Kings.

It is my first time to read Brandon Sanderson's book. I love this book. I didn't expect it. Alhamdulillah!

Sanderson is one of my favourite authors. I don't expect it he would become one of my favourite authors cos it is my firs
Saša
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Da bih napravio ozbiljnu recenziju, kakvu ova knjiga zasluzuje, trebalo bi mi dosta vremena, a nemam ga, stoga cu "u nekoliko crtica" dati moje zapazanje...

- Kao sto su neki pomenuli, prvi deo zaista jeste razvucen malo vise, ali meni to nije smetalo, jer je pisanje na vrhunskom nivou. Cak i kada se apsolutno nista nije desavalo, nije bilo dosadno citati.

- Rošar je svet kamenja i oluja.Rošar je fantastican svet, ali nije "zvezda" knjige.
Zvezda knjige je Kaladin, bivsi vidar, ratnik a sada rob.
Al
Maja
Izgleda da će drugi fantasy pisci (ne svi) morati još mnogo da uče od Brendona. Iako mi se na trenutke činilo da će se zbog hiljadu rasa, likova i država pretvoriti u Eriksona Sanderson je lepo uspeo da objasni stvari. Prelepo pisanje, a i prevod, pokazuju koliko je Sanderson sazreo kao pisac (n.b. u isto vreme je pisao i završnicu WoT-a). Iako mi se knjige u početku nije svidela sada je postala jedna od mojih omiljenih. Krećem čitanje drugog toma uz želju da mi se svidi još više od prvog.
Dane Richter
May 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Toffee. That’s how I saw shardplate. Mystical armour that had a dirty translucence to it. I like the concept.

The world of Roshar is masterfully created from its culture to its religions to its people and how the high storms shape the land and literally effect how creatures and life evolves. Sanderson’s world building is top notch. So after this praise why the low score?

The Way of Kings is an epic volume (and volume is the right word) about … well here’s the thing, I thought it was about an assas
Leonie
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Where do I start with this review? Brandon Sanderson is an engaging writer. I first encountered his work when he began the mammoth task of finishing Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series. His ability to write another person's work, in a way that still sounded like the other person, astounded me. I'm a writer myself - and even writing my own work is difficult some days, but to represent another person's multitude of characters AS the other writer had, for so many books, takes a very clever write ...more
Vladan
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Put kraljeva je pocetak neceg epskog (nadam se ne epski promasaj) i po obimu i po kvalitetu. Nekoliko glavnih likova cija se prica za sada jos uvek ne preplice. Neki su interesantni (Kaladin), neki manje interesantni (Shallan i Dalinar). Dosadnih nema - za sada.

Zamerke: ogromno, siroko i razvuceno... I sam Sanderson je to uvideo i probao da se izvini citaocima u predgovoru druge polovine knjige. Izvinjenje prihvaceno, ali da ti se to vise ne ponovi.

Izgleda je je rad na "Tocku vremena" raspisao S
Roberta Jayne
This is half of a review for half of a book.
I can't believe it's taken me this long but, you know what, I've finally realised that I'm in love with Brandon Sanderson. I LOVE THAT MAN. AND THE WAY HE WRITES. NO. AH.

Although I found this book more difficult to get into as I was expecting, (I think this was because Sanderson was constantly exploring new places and new characters and didn't really give me a chance to get comfortable for long) I still enjoyed every second of it.

Every time I read one
Simona Stoica
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5

Recenzie completă: http://palarisme.ro/chef/carti/recenz...

Calea regilor este o provocare pentru cititorii curajoşi, care îşi doresc să citească o operă fantasy complexă şi spectaculoasă, cu personaje memorabile şi misterioase, pe fundalul unor legende care încă au influență în prezent, la sute de ani distanţă, când Sanderson se foloseşte de toate resursele sale pentru a ne arunca într-un tărâm zguduit de războaie, minciuni şi trădări, unde trebuie să-l identificăm repede atât pe cel care va
Marc Aplin
Jun 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In the UK, 'The Way of Kings' has now been split into two halves. The first book focuses on the 'build up' of the novel... I think they got the cut off point pretty much perfect and although you could never read part 1 on it's own (it would seem very anti-climatic) - if you had to split the book into two parts... they got it right.

Way of Kings opens in a very mysterious manner... There has been some kind of huge war... bodies litter the ground... both human and monster. A powerful being heads to
Amar
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amar by: Comet
Shelves: read-in-2015, kindle
Sad ću odskočiti od 97% GR korisnika . Samo 2 ivermača od mene .

Meni je ova polovina knjige previše obimna i razvučena i skratio bih je za najmanje 30% . Ima veoma zanimljivih elemenata koji se razrađuju korak po korak , pa ću vidit šta će bit od toga u drugom dijelu .

Kaladin je kao lik zanimljiv . Dalinar mi je najviše prirastao srcu . I Szetova priča je jako zanimljiva , dok su mi Šalanina podglavlja ubjedljivo najslabija .

Priča po sebi je ok zasad , ali se ništa naročito zanimljivo nije desi
Krbo
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
nešto malo više od pola knjige pa ostavljam rezime za kraj
Blodeuedd Finland
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
The publisher published the paperback in 2 books since this is one HUGE book. And it was much nicer reading it like this, instead of holding a 1000 page brick.

This book, how to describe it? So much is going on and if I would say anything negative about it it would be that is just is too well imagined. There is a lot to keep track of and know. I have read anything fantasy to be used to it but sure sometimes I wished there would be some more explanations at the back of the book. I like to look thi
Jananee (headinherbooks)
I don't really think I can review this book since it's only the first half (and I haven't even read the second half yet - I know, it's a horrible thing to do) but as can be expected from Brandon Sanderson, this was full of intricate world building, a fascinating magic system and complex characters.

I feel like I was really hyped up for this book and was a little let down - everyone always says this is Sanderson's best work but I am a huge Mistborn fangirl and honestly don't think anything can to
Pauline Fireheart
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-my-shelf
The longer I live, the more I come to realize that it is the natural state of the human mind.

My review can be found on part 2 :)
Daisy
Jan 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, fantasy
Incredible.

I knew from reading the acknowledgements that I would love this book and it did not disappoint. The thought, detail and precision that Sanderson put into this piece of work was truly something to marvel at. It was brilliant from start to end and the charming illustrations that accompanied each part made it an even more enjoyable read. The complexity of the world created was extraordinarily impressive with so much vigour to all aspects of civilisation; politically, religiously, cultur
Rapunzel
AMAZING 5 STARS!

Okay I am a huge Brandon Sanderson fan. The Mistborn Trilogy is absolutely amazing, and I've found that anything Sanderson writes is incredible.

So basically, this book rocks (haha so puny regarding the terrain of Roshar). It's completely all encompassing, with each element of Roshan society being hugely developed. All of the characters are extremely likeable - from the gentry class scholar, the hand to the king, and even the lowest of slaves. In addition to those voices, we
Nj Sun
3.5
Ich finde man merkt schon, dass der Teil gesplittet wurde. Mochte die Charaktere aber trotzdem sehr und freue mich auf Teil 1.2
Chelsea Hall
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING!!!
Wow, this book really is amazing, or this first part should I say. The thing about reading this though is that you should be seriously prepared when you start. I haven't properly read any fantasy before and went straight on into this and it took me almost 2 weeks to read, this coming from a person who at the most has read 3 big books in a day, It was a lot of information and I really had to take my time going through each chapter as the characters change around. Overall though it was a
Yani
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
An amazing beginning to a potentially epic story. I think it might even surpass the mistborn trilogy. The world is very well constructed with an intrieging ecology. The characters are realistic and convincing.
The story takes it's time to develop, but it promisses a great follow up.
  • Distinctions: Prologue to Towers of Midnight
  • O Medo do Homem Sábio - Parte 2 (A Crónica do Regicida, Livro 2 - Parte 2)
  • Voice of the Gods (Age of the Five, #3)
  • Stormlord Rising (Watergivers, #2)
  • Eye of the Labyrinth (Second Sons, #2)
  • The Rose and the Thorn (The Riyria Chronicles, #2)
  • A Dance with Dragons: Dreams and Dust (A Song of Ice and Fire #5, Part 1 of 2)
  • Perfect Shadow (Night Angel, #0.5)
  • Blood of the Mantis (Shadows of the Apt, #3)
  • The Farseer Trilogy (Farseer Trilogy #1-3)
  • Spellbound (Spellwright, #2)
  • The Daylight War (Demon Cycle, #3)
  • The Adamantine Palace (The Memory of Flames, #1)
  • Lycidas (Uralte Metropole, #1)
Brandon’s major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedry’s autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperor’s S
More about Brandon Sanderson...

The Stormlight Archive (10 books)
  • The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1)
  • Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, #2)
  • Oathbringer (The Stormlight Archive, #3)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #4)
  • Highprince of War (The Stormlight Archive, #5)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #6)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #7)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #8)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #9)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #10)

“A story doesn't live until it is imagined in someone's mind.” 22 likes