Start by marking “The Way of the Wilderking (The Wilderking Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Way of the Wilderking (The Wilderking Trilogy, #3)

The Way of the Wilderking

(The Wilderking Trilogy #3)

n book three of the acclaimed Wilderking Trilogy, civilizer Aidan returns home from three years in Feechiefen Swamp to discover that a party known as the Aidanites has arisen among his fellow Corenwalders. They believe the “Wilderking Chant” makes reference to Aidan, and that he is destined to overthrow Corenwald's tyrant King Darrow. Aidan has no intention of leading any ...more
Published May 1st 2006 by B Fiction

To ask other readers questions about The Way of the Wilderking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way of the Wilderking

Sara
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
((No Spoilers))

In The Wilderking trilogy, Rogers takes the story of King David and tells it anew. Without changing the spirit of David’s miraculous story, Rogers re-contextualizes it. He changes the location to something that looks a lot like Southern Georgia. He changes the time to something that resembles the Middle Ages. He changes the story of the Israelites to something that echoes the story of Colonial America. And, he changes the cast of characters to include an almost mythica
Kelly Barker
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“False love I could handle. Flattery, using people, even being used-I understood all of that. That made sense to me. But unconditional love was the last thing I wanted, from Father or anybody else. Because to receive unconditional love is to know somebody loves you more than you deserved to be loved.”
Trace
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I can't even begin to describe the impact this allegorical trilogy has had on my son and I... it has brought us through nearly every emotion... there were times we were laughing so hard that tears were falling down our faces. There were times we were quite angry. And there were times when we were so distraught (like near the ending of this last book in the trilogy)that we both started sobbing.

The characters have wormed their way into our hearts, in a way that not many literary characters ever d
Lily Mei
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This was my favorite book of the three. Dobro is still my favorite character. He is funny. He always stands by Aidan. He is wild, hyper and brave. Except when it comes to Sinking Canyons. After this I'd like to read The Charlatan's Boy.

My daddy read this series out loud to me.
Luann
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very satisfying conclusion to an excellent trilogy! These books are pure wisdom wrapped in a rollicking adventure. Perfect for all ages. This last one was really more of 4.5, but only because it wasn't quite as good as the first two in the trilogy. I don't think it's fair to dock stars just because the book doesn't quite measure up to the author's other wonderful books, books I would have given 10 stars if I could have.
Lara Lleverino
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
My favorite quote, “The future is a dark path, Aiden. It’s even dark for me most of the time and I’m a prophet. But the living God always gives you the light to get to the next turning. Stay in the path, Aiden. There’s light enough. When you get to the second turning, the third, the twentieth, they’ll be lit too.”
Brandon Miller
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Notably more entertaining than the first two.
Still, not my cup of tea.
Ay
THIS is an AWESOME BOOK!!!! It kind tells the story about David and his run from king Saul.

GREAT BOOK!!!!!!
It is a story meant for all ages. From 5 to 100.
Good book for Christian teenagers. Who need a good Christian book to read, since most books today are not meant for christians.
Heather
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Fun retelling of the story of how David becomes king while remaining loyal to the current king, without his multiple wives. Set in a past American South.
Leslee
Nov 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
I like children's books ... they are easy to read ... let you use your imagination ... and sometimes they hit you where you really need to be hit ... right now I am finishing the "Wilderking Trilogy" by Jonathan Rogers ... i just read the best part out of all three books ... a little background ... Maynard is kinda the lost son of the family. He betrays the family and this ends up leading to the death of his father. Maynard is talking to bis brother (the main character) and he says:

H
Jen
Apr 07, 2012 rated it liked it
A very nice end to the trilogy, I think; it gets into some dicey concepts of what loyalty really is, how people change and you have to figure out what loving them means when they're totally not the friend you originally had, and this has a really solid scene dealing with the nature of unconditional love. Unlike the second book, I really didn't see a lot of the twists coming in this one, which was nice. I did feel that some of the character reappearances were a bit forced, and it's definitely a k ...more
Jennifer VanderPloeg
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Though written for children/youth, I enjoyed this series just as much as my children! My two oldest loved it (11, 9) and were unhappy with the ending because they didn’t want it to end. They want more!
There were so many great quotes and thoughts for me in there as well. “Live the life that unfolds before you” and “live goodness more than you fear evil” are two that we talked about. I was also challenged by Errol, who prayed for an hour or more each morning and was able to sleep through the
Hannah
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This review covers the whole trilogy.
Aidan Errolson was one of my best friends growing up. Another was Dobro Turtlebane. I grew up on these phenomenal stories, and I hope lots of other kids do too! The clean humor and interesting plot line make this story one that will teach values about true friendship. I can't say enough good things about these stories!!!
Magma
Oct 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
the conclusion to this trilogy is amazing! there were quite a few revelations that I certainly didn't see coming. I absolutely loved this series!
Aubrey Hinchman
Apr 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Yeah, this is the last one of the series, and I accidentally read this first, so I kinda didn't get it......
Seth
Aug 24, 2013 rated it liked it
A decent trilogy, but not as good as the Wingfeather Saga.
Faith
Mar 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I really like this trilogy because it is a lot like the life of King David. I think that is why I also read the Chronicles of Narnia because so much of it is from Bible stories.
Alison
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written. Read it to my children ages 5-11 and our whole family loved the whole trilogy.
Charlie Crush
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Way of the Wilderking is an excellent book with an excellent author. This book was written by Jonathan Rogers who has written at least 12 other books. Two of the books that he has written include The Bark of the Bog Owl and The Secret of the Swamp King, the first and second books of the Trilogy that The Way of the Wilderking concludes. The series is not far from parallel to the story of King David in the Bible, except, of course, for the characters and setting. The series is very well writte ...more
Jane Potter
Teri Hannan
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019withkiddo-s
First: I highly recommend the audio version read by the author. It makes the story.

I love the way this book ties everything together. There is beautiful Truth interwoven through the entire series. We laughed out loud, and repeated parts to laugh again. We (mostly me, less my kids) cried, got goosebumps, and felt victorious with “our” feechie and civilizer friends alike. This entire series definitely makes it on our list of favorite family read alouds.
Elizabeth
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We love, love these books. Jonathan Rogers brings together his own beautiful blend of Mark Twain, C.S. Lewis, Uncle Remus, and the Bible and sets it down amid the pines and swamps, mosquitoes and moss of the Deep South. We read the first book aloud and the next two with a mix of the book and the audio version. Rogers’ narration takes me home. I’m pretty sure I’m a feechie... well, my dad was, I bet! ❤❤❤ ...more
Melissa Overland
We LOVE this book series!

I’m not sure if my 10-year-old son enjoyed them more or if I did. I read all 3 books in the series aloud. We couldn’t stop reading but didn’t want the series to end, either. I highly recommend these for any adult, child, or teen who enjoys great stories, excitement, beautiful writing, and excellent of vocabulary. These are the best kids/young adult books I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading, and I’m a bookaholic!
Melissa
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
Disappointed. The author spent so much time and detail building the story and then the end was incredibly rushed- it felt like I was reading a list of billeted actions that take place. The story is great- the finish, leaves much to be desired. It makes me wonder what happened that the author needed to wrap up things so hurriedly, rather than reflecting on a good story.
Lucy Gutierrez
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful colourful world that captures the imagination and keeps you on the edge of your seat.

A host of wonderful characters, fast paced adventure a convincing family saga and a world with its own history and captivating folklore. I could not put this series down from start to finish. A thoroughly enjoyable read!
John
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, read-alouds
A great finish to a really good series.

When I finished reading this one out loud to my three kids, aged 11, 9, and 7, they all agreed that this was the best series we've read together out loud. Considering we've read through The Chronicles of Narnia and The Wingfeather Saga together, that's quite a compliment.

Karisa Bailey
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This trilogy has been my family's current read aloud. All of my children (6-15 ywars old) and I have laughed heartily out loud. There may or may not have been reenactments of feechie fights and rude swaps. But these books will earn a permanent place on our shelves for the depth and gave with which Truth is told.
Christy
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amanda
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great conclusion. I love how the story still follows so much of the Bible story yet has its own separate story that has nothing to do with the original story line. I'd love to see a continuation of this story.
Catherine Lowe
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There's so much to like about this series--the characters, the beautiful writing, the pace of the story--and the end does not disappoint. All 3 books are fabulous read-alouds and offer many discussion starters... about the book, and about our world. Enjoy!
« previous 1 3 next »

• North! or Be Eaten (The Wingfeather Saga, #2)
  • Isle of Fire (Isle of Swords, #2)
  • The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic
  • To Darkness Fled (Blood of Kings, #2)
  • Fiddler's Green (Fin's Revolution, #2)
  • The Hand That Bears the Sword (Trophy Chase Trilogy, #2)
  • The Restorer's Journey (The Sword of Lyric #3)
  • Guns of Thunder (Faith and Freedom #1)
  • Rise of the Dibor (The White Lion Chronicles #1)
  • The Drowned Vault (Ashtown Burials, #2)
  • Return to Alastair (Tahn Dorn #2)
  • The Book of Names (Legends of Karac Tor, #1)
Jonathan Rogers grew up in Georgia, where he spent many happy hours in the swamps and riverbottoms on which the wild places of The Wilderking are based. He received his undergraduate degree from Furman University in South Carolina and holds a Ph.D. in seventeenth-century English literature from Vanderbilt University. The Bark of the Bog Owl has already found a receptive audience among Jonathan’s o ...more

The Wilderking Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Bark of the Bog Owl (The Wilderking Trilogy, #1)
  • The Secret of the Swamp King (The Wilderking Trilogy, #2)
“That gal’s got gumption, don’t she?” Dobro marveled. “That gal’s got what it takes.” 0 likes
“Are you ready to fight?” “We’ll have to be ready, won’t we? You make do with what you have.” 0 likes