Start by marking “Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 5 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #5)” as Want to Read:
Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 5 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #5)

Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 5

(Fullmetal Alchemist #5)

Ed, Alphonse and their mechanic Winry go south in search of Izumi Curtis, the master alchemist who taught the brothers how to use alchemy. But in the boomtown of Rush Valley, an encounter with a pickpocket turns them down a different path in search of an auto-mail blacksmith whose handiwork is the best that Winry has ever seen. Then the action flashes back to the past to s ...more
Published January 10th 2006 by VIZ Media LLC (first published 2002)

Start your review of Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 5 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #5)
Caroline
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
GREAT again! I love the art and the characters so much! Some of the little ongoing jokes are so adorable and funny- Edward raging when he gets called short and Alphonse with his list of things he wants to do when he is no longer a suit of armour. God I love this series!
Celine
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This series is amazing and I wish I owned the other twenty volumes already. The fifth volume of Fullmetal Alchemist focusses on the miracle (and tragedy) of human life - it is easily created yet also easily lost. This volume also sees Winry grow into a more all-round character and introduces some more kick-ass ladies. I cannot wait to see more of Ed and Al's journey.
Jedi JC Daquis
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Volume 5, I still love it. It doesn't tread on the main storyline but this still is a necessary volume for character development. FMA, despite its originality still has the usual badass teacher trope we have seen and read in countless anime and manga.

The philosophy about life is rich in this book, simplified yes, but still gives you something to think about.

Winry also did shine in this volume and I really, really wanted to see what would happen to her.
Becky
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Is she broken?
No, honey, she's dead.
But Mrs. Izumi, you can fix anything, right?
Menny, life is not an object, and I'm not a god. Chiko had a life, just like you do. But Chiko's life has stopped and will never return. I can't give Chiko back her life... but I can make her a grave.

I like this series, but I haven't been nearly as into it as my friends are. But I REALLY liked this one. It introduced some fantastic new characters, Winry delivered a baby like a boss, and I am so in
daisy
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm quite a bit further ahead with the FMA: Brotherhood anime so for the most part it's nothing new, but I just really love this series so 5 stars from me : " )

I think I'm getting close to the Greed parts... Which is good bc I love him.
gabi
Apr 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Ooohhh!!! The start of some backstory. Well, this shall be interesting!
Ahmed Tharwat
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
I decided to give it five stars from the first 50 pages!!😂amazing!
Rachel
Sep 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This volume's character gushing is devoted to Winry Rockbell.

Oh, Winry. Girl-next-door, wench with a wrench, childhood friend to the Elric brothers, and blushing love interest for Edward...if only either of them would admit to it. A dedicated automail mechanic, in the tradition of her grandmother, Pinako, and inclined to minor medical treatment in homage to her doctor parents.

Having had her own share of tragedies, she remains positive and cheerful, caring and sensitive, a
Radwa
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, manga
This manga deals in a very good way with the idea of how sacred a human life is, whether through witnessing a woman giving birth, or dealing with the whole "bringing people back from the dead" thing.

I loved seeing more of winry in this volume, and I loved the extensive details of the two brothers' background and past, and what they went through.
Rana Adham
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-manhwa
Tons of backstory...and Winry ❤ You go girl! ...more
Caroline
Jul 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, comics
This might be favorite volume yet (I think I started with too many stars! There's nowhere to go!) It's been a few books since the boys really used their alchemy interesting ways, but here there are a lot of cool uses of powers. And there is my new hero, Winry Rockbell, deciding that if she can be an awesome cybernetics mechanic, she can for damn sure deliver a baby if circumstances require. Also, this volume gets into the boys' personal history and introduces their mentor/substitute mom. I love ...more
Ronit Ray
Oct 18, 2016 rated it liked it
How people found this to be the best volume so far is beyond me. I'd probably give it a 2.5. Bunny or whoever was irritating, entire volume felt like a filler with a lot of lame comedy till the last chapter, which was wonderful. Going to see this through, but this was quite a setback.
André
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
First read Oct. 2013: Pretty sure I'm just going to go through and rate every single volume five stars because I just love this whole series so much I can't even.
Maria Kaye
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Thief with the automails for legs is so damn annoying, also I'm dreading any flashbacks of human transmutation :( it's so unsettling to see and read.
Emma Thompson
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
FMA vol 5 is chapters 17-21

Alright, so this first starts off with Ed, Al, and Winry traveling to Rush Valley. Rush Valley is basically a town full of automail mechanics and automail limbs. Again, side characters poke fun at Ed's shortness and Al's hugeness, which is always fun to read about! While in Rush Valley, Ed gets robbed of his State Alchemist watch by a girl named Bunny. It was suspenseful (not to mention funny too!) to watch Ed chase Bunny because, well.......he sucked. Ed g
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
I'm starting to get pretty bored with this. The story is moving too slowly for me now and I don't see the end in sight.

The one cool thing is that the female creator's agenda has thus far been to put women in high skill positions. I'm with that.
Jack Baillot
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Izumi!!
Par-
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story starts to become amazing here, more details are now revealed and characters background is on the board.
The Dyslexic Bookworm
Review found in Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 2
Nadhirah Nazarudin
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The back story of Ed and Al when they were still kids and innocent.

Also, the appearance of Izumi Curtis!
△⃒⃘ Anna Francesca
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fullmetal Alchemist continues to be funny, full of action and adventure.

This volume was so interesting for many reasons. Ed meets his match early on in this volume and the fact that she is so much faster and stronger than him makes for some anger (on his part) and laughter. I really enjoyed getting to know their trainer and the flashback to when they were children but man that cliffhanger made me wish I had the next volume to hand.

This series is fast paced and witty throughout. The illustratio
BUN
Jul 15, 2018 added it
while Ed, Al and Winry deliver the baby, I think they know how valuable the life is and human couldn't make a human by alchemy.
Spencer
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Amazing entry! Rush Valley is so cool, and Izumi is an amazing addition in characters!
Min Yee
This volume involves more emotions. This is a good reminder for us that they are still human beings or kids despite they have mechanical body parts.
Fullmetal Alchemist Vol. 5 by Hiromu Arakawa.
নাজমুল হাসান
We finally get to see the past of Elric brothers. Their relationship with their parents, teachers and friends. Also we are taught some valuable life lessons along the way. The brothers witness the birth of a new life-a human child-blessed by everyone. They realize the preciousness of life. Once a life seizes to be on the face of the earth, it returns to dust where it came from in the first place. Still it remains in the memory of the people, cherished through out their life. Finally the grueling ...more
Bitsy
Volume five had some ups and had some downs. I loved reading about Rush Valley and getting to see this auto-mail mecca and the engineers (and people in need of them!) that lived there. Also reading about the story and the lessons learned by and from the pick pocket was good fun. Who knew one girl could give two alchemists so much trouble? And she does! It’s great fun! The most powerful part of the book was where the boys learned the limits of alchemy and the wonders of the human condition as the ...more
Mike
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
As the series goes on, I'm getting less surprised at its popularity. This is just a fun, optimistic adventure story. And yes, that does cross over into idealism sometimes, but still, in an era where everything has to be dark or it gets written off as meaningless, it's good to have something that doesn't take itself too seriously. The series has a lot of re-read value because of that, and I think that's why it got so popular - it's so easy to come back to. Is it perfect? No - the worldbuilding is ...more
Roxana Chirilă
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm kind of bothered by "birth" episodes in TV series and anime and manga and so forth. And I'm even more bothered by the fact that Winry delivers the baby - at least it's explained that her parents were doctors and that she read her books, so it's not *entirely* out of the realm of possibility that she might know a few things, but the idea rubs me the wrong way even so.

Aside from that, I loved how Edward wrecked a whole town while chasing a thief - then had to fix it. I don't think
Issei Miyata
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is “fullmetal alchemist” I love this manga. This is so exciting. His manga is very famous and this manga is loved lol over the world. If you read this manga, you maybe want to be a alchemist.

The battle scenes of this manga are very exciting. And the characters of this manga are very attractive. It is difficult to decide favorite character. I think the line is so cool. All points is so exciting, interesting and cool.
Swati
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved seeing more of Winry and her interaction with the Elric brothers!
So far all of the volumes have been just as good and interesting.
I haven't been disappointed! :D
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please link these book editions 1 8 Oct 20, 2019 04:49AM

• Naruto, Vol. 09: Neji vs. Hinata (Naruto, #9)
  • Bleach, Volume 22
  • Rurouni Kenshin, Volume 07
  • Death Note, Vol. 6: Give-and-Take (Death Note, #6)
  • Bleach, Volume 01
  • D.Gray-man, Vol. #3 (D.Gray-man, #3)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: Under the Faraway Sky (Fullmetal Alchemist, #4)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: To Each His Own Bonds (Fullmetal Alchemist, #5)
  • Bleach, Volume 12
  • Bleach, Volume 03
  • 僕のヒーローアカデミア 2 [Boku No Hero Academia 2] (My Hero Academia, #2)
  • Bleach, Volume 02
  • Bleach, Volume 07
  • Bleach, Volume 05
  • Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE, Vol. 09
  • Bleach, Volume 06
  • Naruto, Vol. 22: Comrades (Naruto, #22)
  • Bleach, Volume 23

Associated names :
荒川弘美 (real name)
ARAKAWA Hiromi

Name (in native language) : 荒川弘

Zodiac : Taurus

Blood type : A

Her self-portrait is usually that of a bespectacled cow, as she was born and raised on a dairy farm in Hokkaido with three older sisters and a younger brother. She worked as a farmer for 8 years before moving to Tokyo.

Arakawa thought about being a manga/>Blood/>Zodiac

Fullmetal Alchemist (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #1)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 2 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #2)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 3 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #3)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 4 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #4)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 6 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #6)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 7 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #7)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 8 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #8)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 9 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #9)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 10
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 11 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #11)