Start by marking “Queen Sonja (Queen Sonja, #1)” as Want to Read:
Queen Sonja (Queen Sonja, #1)

Queen Sonja

(Queen Sonja #1)

RED SONJA LIVES! Dynamite Entertainment presents a bold new direction for the mother of all warriors, Red Sonja! Sonja finds herself with more than she bargained for as she takes the throne of her homelands! Under the direction of writer Joshua (Death Dealer) Ortega, Queen Sonja #1-6 (collected here along with a complete cover gallery) also features the return of artist Me ...more
Paperback, First Edition, 125 pages
Published November 9th 2010 by Dynamite Entertainment (first published October 12th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Queen Sonja, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queen Sonja

Nore
Jun 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Someone do me a big favor? Redraw this entire series with Sonja in reasonable armor. Please. Pretty please. I would give anything to be able to read this, but I just can't bring myself to read it while she's running around in nothing but three square inches of chainmail. I've heard such great things about Sonja as a character and the series in general, but I just... cannot.
Andy
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not recommended

Art wasn't great, story felt incredibly rushed. Honestly, I'd just recommend reading Gail Simone's stuff instead.

Don't get me wrong, I've read worse things, this is just a bit dull.
Timo
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
So somebody got a good idea to make Sonja a queen because Conan is king? Did it work?
Well.... here and there it did. Sonja's trek to queendom was fun and gorey but will it work now she has the power? Time will tell.
Nice and sexy sleek art, though.
Ned Leffingwell
This book hit all the notes for a sword and sorcery story. We get limbs being hacked off, magic, battles, and the chain mail bikini. It was entertaining. Read it if you are a fan of Red Sonja.
MC
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The character of Red Sonja is known for a few different reasons. These range from the low fantasy setting her stories take place in, to the extreme gore and violence of the tales, to the title character's ridiculously impractical wardrobe.

This put me off some when reading Queen Sonja, Vol. 1, and truly, if the comic hadn't turned out so good, I would have skipped the story altogether. It seems like an outfit designed solely for titillating the male reader through the use of an extremely, literal
Phil
Jul 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
This volume certainly is action-packed, but it also seemed overly compressed and abbreviated, making Sonja's rise to power bafflingly sudden. It's also disappointing that despite printing Robert E. Howard's Hyborian Age setting map at the front of the book they set the story in some generic, unconnected kingdom called Sogaria. Still, the premise of the series is intriguing. Hopefully future volumes will ease up on the pace a bit.
Daniel
Mar 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Nothing terribly deep and riveting here and the artwork isn't as attractive as other Sonja titles, but it's still a helluva lot of fun. And that's the whole reason to read Red Sonja stories, right? Good stuff.
Amanda Majasaari
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Totally entertaining tales of Red Sonja.
Sean
Apr 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Much bloodier than the regular Red Sonja series. I've put off reading this series until now. Can't wait to read the next book.
Michael Mullen
Jul 23, 2014
Albert
Jul 03, 2017
Andrew
rated it did not like it
Nov 29, 2014
John Leonhardt
Dec 27, 2013
Luke
Jan 10, 2016
Joshua Ortega is an author and journalist best known for his novel Frequencies, as well as his comic book and graphic novel work on entertainment properties such as Star Wars, Spider-Man, Batman, Star Trek, The Escapist, and The Necromancer.

Queen Sonja (6 books)
  • The Red Queen (Queen Sonja, #2)
  • Queen Sonja Vol. 3: Coming of Age